Brass from Ultramax remanufactured [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass from Ultramax remanufactured

TX Archer
12-02-2012, 17:49
A shooting buddy who doesn't reload gives me all his spent brass. Lately, he has been shooting some Ultramax "remanufactured" .223 and I'd say 80% or more have splits at the mouth. Of course cases are going to split from time to time but I'm curious how theirs split so consistently. I would think that they're buying range brass which is usually, although not always, once-fired. I doubt they have any way of selecting brass that is one shot away from the end of its usable life. So that leads me to believe some part of their processing is pushing it to the end of its life.

Reading on their website (http://www.ultramaxammunition.com/quality.php), they say that they liquid wash then roll size their brass. Could it be that they are washing it in something that contains ammonia? Does the roll sizing decrease the case life? Has anyone observed this before?

I'm not concerned about it. I've just asked him to let me know when he's shooting that brand so I can send it straight to the scrap bucket. It seems to shoot fine for him but the brass isn't worth the hassle for me. I'm just curious how it's so consistent.

By the way, every case I've examined has had a Lake City headstamp.

F106 Fan
12-02-2012, 20:24
By the way, every case I've examined has had a Lake City headstamp.

It might be machine gun brass and machine guns don't have a very tight chamber. I suspect the neck is getting expanded quite a bit and then when it is resized, the brass cracks.

Just guessing...

Richard

TX Archer
12-02-2012, 20:51
It might be machine gun brass and machine guns don't have a very tight chamber. I suspect the neck is getting expanded quite a bit and then when it is resized, the brass cracks.
Ah! So they could be buying brass in those huge lots from the government auctions which could very well be shot from machine guns? I assume this company does high volume and that would be a reasonable source for the brass.

Thanks for the theory, Richard. I seems plausible.