Electronic underground dog fences. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Electronic underground dog fences.

glock_19guy1983
12-02-2012, 17:38
Moving the family into a new home in town and we are going to get a boston terrier puppy for the kids. We dont really have the money to put up a cyclone fence right now due to having to get more furniture and appliances, so one of those underground fences seems like a good option right now. The house is on a cul de sac with 5 or 6 other houses and the High school baseball field and practice fields border the back side of the property and the country club bordering the side. Im not too worried about traffic but I dont want the dog getting on the baseball field or golf course. How well do these fences work and what are some of the better brands to get? Property is slightly over 1 acre and I would like to fence in the whole yard

Also I guess I could kill two birds with one stone and get two extra collars for the kids. Reckon they would consider that child abuse?:supergrin:

DaneA
12-02-2012, 17:45
First, DON'T use these on a pup younger than 6 months old. Can cause some real issues.

Petsafe is the main brand you will find. They also own Invisible Fence Co. Biggest difference is that Invisible Fence will do the install and training for you.
Get the standard fence (http://www.tractorsupply.com/petsafe-reg-in-ground-fence-trade--3691321). You will need an extra roll of wire and flags (http://www.tractorsupply.com/petsafe-reg-extra-wire-flag-kit-3691101) to cover the area you want. The fences work great IF and only IF you take the time to train the dog. If you don't take the time to train you are wasting your time and money. Installation is simple. Just get one of these (http://www.lowes.com/pd_6756-1255-2532_0__?productId=3534318&Ntt=tile+scraper&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtile%2Bscraper&facetInfo=) to open up the ground and lay the wire in. It only has to be down far enough you won't break it.

If you are getting a young puppy use a leash for the first 6 months and also enroll in a training class. Proper training can reduce the need for a fence.

*ASH*
12-02-2012, 17:52
remember ,it might keep your dog in , but not other animals

ive never had an outside pet , we just dont agree on outside pets . good luck thou

glock_19guy1983
12-02-2012, 18:00
remember ,it might keep your dog in , but not other animals

ive never had an outside pet , we just dont agree on outside pets . good luck thou

He/she will be an inside pet, but I would like to be able to keep him off a leash while we are outside and not have to keep a constant eye on it.

*ASH*
12-02-2012, 18:01
He/she will be an inside pet, but I would like to be able to keep him off a leash while we are outside and not have to keep a constant eye on it.

ahhhh ok :wavey:

blackjack
12-02-2012, 19:01
I had the Invisible Fence installed all the way around my 1 acre place because it was cheaper than a physical fence plus it eliminates the need to use the weedeater around a fence. My dog, an Australian cattle dog, was 8 YO when we moved to this place from a fenced city lot. She'd always stayed close but now we had the additional distraction of the local wildlife: deer, rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, skunks, possums. The only thing that has pulled her across the barrier was another dog in the early transition/training time so the installer came out to give the system/collar a boost in the reinforcement shock.

She's now older and wiser with only very occasional interaction with the system for the last 3 years.

volky
12-02-2012, 19:02
Had to replace the brains twice, each time a strong storm rolled through. Never took a direct hit, but strikes nearby took it out. I think that wire loop makes a good antenna. Gave up on it at that point.

glock_19guy1983
12-02-2012, 19:05
How well do they work under concrete? I will have to bore under a 12' wide driveway.

inthefrey
12-02-2012, 19:53
How well do they work under concrete? I will have to bore under a 12' wide driveway.

We put ours in the expansion joint. Or, get a friend to cut a 2" deep slot across the drive, lay the wire and fill with good commercial driveway calk.

A few cautionary notes:

While these are great tools, they are not fool-proof. A friend found this out as his dog learned to CHARGE the fence, take the jolt and escape - eventually being killed on the road next to his house. Good initial training is a real plus.

These things also make EXCELLENT paths for LIGHTNING! The average wire for 1 acre is 500' long, underground. Dogs are gone now but, in the 5 years we had the fence, we replaced 3 transmitters, 3 power supplies and 3 ground fault outlets - mostly after being blown to smoking bits from lightning hits!! Of course, not everyone is as lucky as we were to have it stop at the outlet.

DaneA
12-02-2012, 20:03
The average wire for 1 acre is 500' long, underground.

An acre is 208 feet 9 inches x 4 sides = 835ft perimeter. Better grab a wire stretcher to make 500ft work.

inthefrey
12-02-2012, 20:09
An acre is 208 feet 9 inches x 4 sides = 835ft perimeter. Better grab a wire stretcher to make 500ft work.

You are correct. If you consider a 20' backset and some portions are not fenced - this is how much I used. Sorry for the inexcusable GT math faux pas.:wavey::rofl:

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 20:17
We have one. Works well. Initial training isn't that involved. The flags seem to be key and removing every other one over a period of time. The dogs learn exactly where that line is anywhere in the yard. Exactly!

However, in addition to other animals coming in, people don't know the line is there.....kids, delivery people, utility workers, etc.

Smoker
12-02-2012, 20:41
we have the pet safe for our Boxer, none of it is in the ground, it is a godsend for him, with the doggy door he goes in & out whenever he wants runs & plays whenever he wants. He's trained so well that he won't leave the yard if we don't put the collar on..

W Turner
12-02-2012, 20:47
Another route you could look at is the wireless pet fence made by Petsafe. We bought one about 8 months ago and it was very worth it for our cattle dog mix and American Bulldog/Catahoula mix. About $400 for the sending unit and an extra collar, but we'll never be without one again.

They are more $$ than the underground wire, but far less trouble. No wires, all you do is plug in the sending unit (inside or outside the house so lightning isn't a concern), set it for your property size (one unit will cover 1/2 an acre and you can piggyback two units together for a larger coverage area), set your flags and train your dog. Only took ours two days of on and off leash training before they got it.

W

DaneA
12-02-2012, 20:59
Those with the wireless fence go simulate a power outage and report back. The collar works off the idea that as long as it gets a signal everything is ok. When the signal stops the corrections start. So in the event of a power outage your dog gets shocked until (hopefully) the time out function comes on. Then when the power comes back on and flickers (as it normally does in my experience) we repeat the have signal/lose signal game until the power is steady again.

W Turner
12-02-2012, 21:47
I understand the idea there, but we had a power outage a few weeks ago and saw no ill effects on our dogs. I know they had their collars on bc we only take them off to replace the batteries. They were inside and believe me, if they were getting zapped for the whole hour and a half the power was out we would have known...lol.