The joys of living in the ghetto [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The joys of living in the ghetto

OctoberRust
12-02-2012, 18:19
So I'm doing some grocery shopping in walmart today, waiting in line when I had a wic user in front of me. He seemed rather upset when his wic wasn't going through so he had the cashier take off item by item until he was down to 15$ in groceries :rofl: After that the cashier seemed very cool with him and told him "look man" you need to contact blah blah for blah blah.

since this irritated me a bit, when it was my turn to go up, I said "looks like his Obama stamps ran out" :rofl: Man, I think the whole line went quiet, including the cashier. It probably didn't help I was the only white person in line. :dunno:

Anyways, good times, just thought I'd share. Maybe this thread will turn into an epic ED thread or something too. :dunno:

Geezer Glide
12-02-2012, 18:48
Well, I liked it.

Batesmotel
12-02-2012, 18:52
More than once my room mate and I were the only ones paying with cash at the Kroger in Memphis (Winchester and Lamar). Store brand chicken soup, crackers and oatmeal.

Everyone else was buying hams, steaks, ribs, chops, chickens, Etc...

Then they would stand outside and sell them for pennies on the dollar and go back in with cash and buy beer and cigarets.

Your tax dollars at work.

g30sfjeepguy
12-02-2012, 18:54
Hey the truth is the truth!

gjk5
12-02-2012, 18:56
this sleeze came in my buddy's pawn shop the other day and tried to sell 20# of ground beef.

RonS
12-02-2012, 18:56
Take notes, you may need to know how it works someday, the administration isn't going to be satisfied until everyone is "equal".

OctoberRust
12-02-2012, 18:57
haha as many on here know me, I'm very conservative in a fiscal sense, but in his defense he did have mostly legitimate food items from what I could tell.

But it still doesn't justify WIC in itself.

He wasn't too happy though. I'm sure he was thinking "oh lawd, dis means I gots ta put in some 'moe hours of work" :rofl:

NMG26
12-02-2012, 18:58
Good times.

Good Times Open & Close - YouTube

JohnBT
12-02-2012, 19:01
I hadn't thought about shopping in front of the grocery store in a long time. Back in '80s you could also get a 5-pound brick of welfare cheese for $5. It wasn't bad cheese either.

Poor students know to shop in the parking lot.

happy seal
12-02-2012, 19:01
this sleeze came in my buddy's pawn shop the other day and tried to sell 20# of ground beef.

Did he buy it? Nothing sleazier than pawn shop owners! Buying from junkies and freaks all day knowing this stuff is hot!

Dubble-Tapper
12-03-2012, 11:51
Did he buy it? Nothing sleazier than pawn shop owners! Buying from junkies and freaks all day knowing this stuff is hot!

no, he called his friend who knows about groundbeef

Dubble-Tapper
12-03-2012, 11:52
Obama invented food stamps? news to me

Baba Louie
12-03-2012, 11:54
no, he called his friend who knows about groundbeefu so bad. that's funny D-T.

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 12:03
When I was. Sgt in the Army, I had to take my new soldiers around for in processing. If they had a wife and a couple of kids, that meant over to Army Community Services to get them on track for getting food stamps. It was humiliating for them but the pay was low back in the mid 90's.

Not everyone on EBT is a POS.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

badge315
12-03-2012, 12:05

Well, if it had been a steak it would be valuable, but since it's ground up it loses most of its value. In the collector's market, condition is everything. :supergrin:

M&P15T
12-03-2012, 12:10
I was trying to get through the throngs of "immigant" parents dropping off their kiddies at the school bus stop that were blocking my ability to leave the parking lot of my apartment building.

I rolled my window down and yelled "get out out of my way, someone has to get to work and earn your obama-voting entitlements!!!!"

Many sour faces.

All Pro Sports Hero
12-03-2012, 12:11
Well, if it had been a steak it would be valuable, but since it's ground up it loses most of its value. In the collector's market, condition is everything. :supergrin:

Unless you get two whales fighting over the beef at auction. All it takes is the right buyer who needs your beef to complete his collection, and the price can skyrocket. :cow:

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 12:12
I was trying to get through the throngs of "immigant" parents dropping off their kiddies at the school bus stop that were blocking my ability to leave the parking lot of my apartment building.

I rolled my window down and yelled "get out out of my way, someone has to get to work and earn your obama-voting entitlements!!!!"

Many sour faces.

I thought you were trying to get out of that place. No luck?

Dubble-Tapper
12-03-2012, 12:21

Many sour faces.

damn immigants droppin their kids off to get an education...

Rabbit994
12-03-2012, 12:34
When I was. Sgt in the Army, I had to take my new soldiers around for in processing. If they had a wife and a couple of kids, that meant over to Army Community Services to get them on track for getting food stamps. It was humiliating for them but the pay was low back in the mid 90's.

Just because someone is soldier with wife instead of Baby momma does not mean they should get a free pass. Most sailor and soldiers in that situation made just as bad decisions as others.

HollowHead
12-03-2012, 12:35
I said "looks like his Obama stamps ran out" :rofl:

I never knew WIC didn't exist before 2009. The things you learn here... HH

GD2J
12-03-2012, 12:52

Shouldn't have had a mouth full of water reading that... :rofl:

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 12:58
Just because someone is soldier with wife instead of Baby momma does not mean they should get a free pass. Most sailor and soldiers in that situation made just as bad decisions as others.

What bad decision? Join the military and fight for your country?
Being responsibly married and the father of two children along with a full time job/career is not a free pass.
I dont understand your reasoning.
And actually, I find it insulting to those who have/are/will serve our nation.

Im glad now they pay a better wage.

Bren
12-03-2012, 13:00
I never knew WIC didn't exist before 2009. The things you learn here... HH

OK, I just looked this up to see when WIC started (late 60's) and it turns out you are eligible for WIC if your income is below 185% of the poverty level. In 2012 the poverty level for a family of 4 was $23,050, so WIC is at $42,642.50. Seriously? That's higher than the median household income in this state. Higher than most police, corrections, fire and other government jobs start at, by a long shot.

Steve0853
12-03-2012, 13:03
WIC is for Women, Infants, and Children.

The items that you get for free are very specific and are identified on the WIC form, i.e. 14 oz. Kellogg's Corn Flakes, 1 gallon whole milk, 8 oz. Kraft sliced cheese. That's all you can get and there's no substitution. In my retail life, most WIC vouchers only had two or three items at most listed on them.

WIC is very different from EBT and food stamps. True deadbeats don't like to mess with WIC vouchers.

Harper
12-03-2012, 13:08
More than once my room mate and I were the only ones paying with cash at the Kroger in Memphis (Winchester and Lamar). Store brand chicken soup, crackers and oatmeal.

Then they would stand outside and sell them for pennies on the dollar and go back in with cash and buy beer and cigarets.

Sounds like you should have been shopping outside the store.

Steve0853
12-03-2012, 13:08
What bad decision? Join the military and fight for your country?
Being responsibly married and the father of two children along with a full time job/career is not a free pass.
I dont understand your reasoning.
And actually, I find it insulting to those who have/are/will serve our nation.

Im glad now they pay a better wage.

Sorry Grimlet, while I respect the sacrifice members of the armed forces make to protect and defend our nation, it is still irresponsible to think that you can support a family on a private's salary.

Just as you wouldn't get a hamburger flipper job at McDonalds and expect to buy a suburban home and support a family of four, you can't expect a beginner salary in the armed forces to support a family of four either.

The bad decision isn't joining the military. Its starting a family with no means to support them.

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 13:12
They have WIC warehouses around here where you get the goods.

It would be nice for the EBT folks to have the same. No high dollar foods would be available. Also a strict limit on junk food. The food would be nutritious and healthy. We could staff the store with welfare recipients and even have a daycare run by the same in the back for the employees.

This would never happen because Walmart and other stores would lose millions of dollars in sales.

M&P15T
12-03-2012, 13:26
I thought you were trying to get out of that place. No luck?

Too long of an explanation, but I'm staying put for now.

damn immigants droppin their kids off to get an education...

I KNOW!!! Those jerks!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dennis in MA
12-03-2012, 13:28

Your tax dollars at work.

Sounds like you guys were shopping on the wrong side of the automatic doors. ;)

haha as many on here know me, I'm very conservative in a fiscal sense, but in his defense he did have mostly legitimate food items from what I could tell.

But it still doesn't justify WIC in itself.

He wasn't too happy though. I'm sure he was thinking "oh lawd, dis means I gots ta put in some 'moe hours of work" :rofl:

Ummm, no?

The items that you get for free are very specific and are identified on the WIC form, i.e. 14 oz. Kellogg's Corn Flakes, 1 gallon whole milk, 8 oz. Kraft sliced cheese. That's all you can get and there's no substitution. In my retail life, most WIC vouchers only had two or three items at most listed on them.

WIC is very different from EBT and food stamps. True deadbeats don't like to mess with WIC vouchers.

Ummm, YES! Thank you.

How does a dood get WIC? Nevermind, I don't wanna know. LOL

Batesmotel
12-03-2012, 15:33
Sounds like you should have been shopping outside the store.

Not allowed to. I was there doing some very public work. People knew who we were and it would not have looked good for us.

smokeross
12-03-2012, 15:47
Where can I sign up for some of them Obama Bucks?

Hailstorm
12-03-2012, 15:50
Yep, started my family in the service. We had been on WIC until I got out as a E4.

As for RABBIT994. Guess you never served or are good enough to put your life on hold. What about the people who make a career out of the military?

I would much rather see people in the service get the help needed, than some hoodrat.

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 15:53
Sorry Grimlet, while I respect the sacrifice members of the armed forces make to protect and defend our nation, it is still irresponsible to think that you can support a family on a private's salary.

Just as you wouldn't get a hamburger flipper job at McDonalds and expect to buy a suburban home and support a family of four, you can't expect a beginner salary in the armed forces to support a family of four either.

The bad decision isn't joining the military. Its starting a family with no means to support them.

Some people have few options in life. Some people lose their job. Some people marry people and adopt their kids to get them on their insurance.

The other guy cheesed me a little because he was inferring that a soldier in the Army was using/abusing the system same as a ghetto queen baby momma. I may have misinterpreted that but........ .

It is a moot point now as the pay is better.

DaneA
12-03-2012, 16:07
They went quiet because you were showing your ignorance. WIC is very different that food stamps. When you don't know something it is much better to keep your mouth shut and look stupid than open it and remove all doubts.

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 16:10
Who went quiet?

concretefuzzynuts
12-03-2012, 16:19

Truth.

turretg
12-03-2012, 16:38
Take notes, you may need to know how it works someday, the administration isn't going to be satisfied until everyone is "equal".

In a way... I'd like to get "equal" but I'd feel guilty eating that well without working for it!

Rabbit994
12-03-2012, 17:04
Yep, started my family in the service. We had been on WIC until I got out as a E4.

As for RABBIT994. Guess you never served or are good enough to put your life on hold. What about the people who make a career out of the military?

I would much rather see people in the service get the help needed, than some hoodrat.

And how old were you? 18-20? That's irresponsible. E1-E3 are entry level jobs. Just like someone fresh out of High School flipping burgers would be laughed at by his family for getting married and starting family, an E1-E3 shouldn't be getting married either.

Now granted, most of this fault of military pay and benefits setup but if I was in charge, Enlisted recruits under age of 22 with dependents would not be eligible and until someone hits E4, getting married/dependents would result in dishonorable discharge.

And your right, I haven't served. I was just military brat for 15 years and saw the stupidity. My brother tour of duty just reinforced it. One does not have to serve to comment on basic military matters.

dpadams6
12-03-2012, 17:10
I shop a lot at the local walmart and it sure seems more and more people are using a bridge card to make their purchase. I'd bet close to 75% where I shop. In some ways that kinda pi$$e$ me off when I hand over cash for my groceries, that I worked hard for. Does not seem American, nor right. And its going to get worse.

Hailstorm
12-03-2012, 17:15
And how old were you? 18-20? That's irresponsible. E1-E3 are entry level jobs. Just like someone fresh out of High School flipping burgers would be laughed at by his family for getting married and starting family, an E1-E3 shouldn't be getting married either.

Now granted, most of this fault of military pay and benefits setup but if I was in charge, Enlisted recruits under age of 22 with dependents would not be eligible and until someone hits E4, getting married/dependents would result in dishonorable discharge.

And your right, I haven't served. I was just military brat for 15 years and saw the stupidity. My brother tour of duty just reinforced it. One does not have to serve to comment on basic military matters.

I will be 44 next month, thanks for asking.

Next you will be saying. I shouldn't putting my money into guns and ammo.

MulletLoad
12-03-2012, 17:19
Y'all make sure pull up a chair at the store Pharmacy and watch the throngs of people collecting their George W. Bush free gub'mint perscriptions that us taxpayers paid for at full price since George wanted to provide welfare to the drug companies in the form of prohibiting the government from negotiating bulk discounts.

I voted for Romney, but can't help to think the with Obama going off the deep end, we were blinded to the presence of the same corporate scumbags that bought off the Bush Republican Presidency, House and Senate, and screwed up all three to let Barry and Hillary in as viable candidates when they shouldn't have be able to be elected the Cook County Dog Catcher.

adamg01
12-03-2012, 17:22
It gets annoying seeing people pushing two buggies at a time with at least $300 in groceries on the tax payers' dime. The Food Stamp Prez on his second term and he is setting the bar high for the next Liberal Prez. A Conservative has no chance with the legion of mindless entitlement voters.

Glock20 10mm
12-03-2012, 17:23

This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about military service... willing to step up and make the ultimate sacrifice but can't make enough to get by.

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 17:24

Ehhhhhhh, I am speechless. Wow!!!!

Ok. Whew! I needed a moment.

Please tell us about your family life in the military. Please tell us your parent(s) branch of service, their duty stations where you lived. Did you go to college? Are you currently employed? Why did your brother serve?

Just wondering...... was your father an officer in a command position? I am guessing so.

You are correct in that you do not have to serve in the military to comment on it. In fact you have more rights to comment on it than many active duty personnel as we speak. So please, when you do, try to not sound like a military brat, as you call yourself.

Thanks, I will be interested to see your answers.

RGbiker
12-03-2012, 18:05
This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about military service... willing to step up and make the ultimate sacrifice but can't make enough to get by.

Army E1 pay was $68@month when I went in. (1957) Bumped up to around $200@month after I left Korea as a E4.

Those who were drafted for 2 years and had family got a bit more, plus Gov off post housing for dependents.

Don't know what the present pay is for combat troops, but whatever it is IMO, it's not enough.

GRIMLET
12-03-2012, 18:18
A Marine lost his life in a vehicle accident and another medivaced AN HOUR AGO in Lejune. They were on their way to the field.

Even a trip to training is deadly. They earn their pay and benefits.

I am very serious about this post. I just received a text from there.

NEOH212
12-03-2012, 18:26
Hey the truth is the truth!

This.

Personally, I have no problem with wic or similar programs but it sure does seem like the people that actually need it rarely are able to get on it.

It's all the abuse of the system by those who don't need it that burns me up.

Averageman
12-03-2012, 18:44

It's always a bad idea to start a family without a way to support them, but it's never a bad idea to be a man and stand up for your responcabilities.

I cannot say I ever knew of one of my Soldiers getting WIC or Foodstamps.
I did however know of good Soldiers who worked jobs after duty hours, gave plasma, went without breakfast and lunch and pawned half of what they owned so their kids could eat well.
Whenever possible these guys would sacrifice themselves before their families; thats pretty much part of the character it took to be a Soldier.
I have guys work from me from all over this Country, I dont remember any of them ever asking for a hand out. I have however threaten some of them in order to get them to take money from Army Emergency Relief.
I have given Food, Money, Tools, Lawnmowers in the hopes that we would grow enough to pay it forward to the next guy.
On the whole I have found the character of the average service member a little further along than the average civilian.

Agonizer
12-03-2012, 18:50

You can't stop the world from turning.

2bgop
12-03-2012, 19:30
OK, I just looked this up to see when WIC started (late 60's) and it turns out you are eligible for WIC if your income is below 185% of the poverty level. In 2012 the poverty level for a family of 4 was $23,050, so WIC is at $42,642.50. Seriously? That's higher than the median household income in this state. Higher than most police, corrections, fire and other government jobs start at, by a long shot.

Oh it gets better. Some state's CHIPS programs are now up to 300% of poverty level. It is insane.

G29Reload
12-03-2012, 19:39
Obama invented food stamps? news to me

No just perfecting abuse of them

happy seal
12-03-2012, 19:59
u so bad. that's funny D-T.

That is very funny!

2bgop
12-03-2012, 20:02
No just perfecting abuse of them

To levels unthought of when the started in the 60s.

Bucknasty
12-03-2012, 20:21
So I'm doing some grocery shopping in walmart today, waiting in line when I had a wic user in front of me. He seemed rather upset when his wic wasn't going through so he had the cashier take off item by item until he was down to 15$ in groceries :rofl: After that the cashier seemed very cool with him and told him "look man" you need to contact blah blah for blah blah.

since this irritated me a bit, when it was my turn to go up, I said "looks like his Obama stamps ran out" :rofl: Man, I think the whole line went quiet, including the cashier. It probably didn't help I was the only white person in line. :dunno:

Anyways, good times, just thought I'd share. Maybe this thread will turn into an epic ED thread or something too. :dunno:

They went quiet because your joke was tasteless and showed a real lack of intelligence. If you're shopping "in the ghetto" you obviously made some real poor choices with your life as well.

cowboywannabe
12-03-2012, 20:36
They went quiet because your joke was tasteless and showed a real lack of intelligence. If you're shopping "in the ghetto" you obviously made some real poor choices with your life as well.

not tasteless, when one has no shame in getting hand outs one has no room to complain for being made fun of. welfare is a shamefull thing to have to get, one must throw away their pride and self respect (if they ever had any) to take charity because they cant even take care of themselves let alone bastard children.

shopping where welfare folks are to means theyve gotten off the plantation, not that youve wondered on to it.

JuneyBooney
12-04-2012, 10:26

That sounds about right to me. Then if they are drug dealers they go out and get into their SUV.:whistling:

Hauptmann6
12-04-2012, 14:09
S
How does a dood get WIC? Nevermind, I don't wanna know. LOL

Sole custody of teh kids, or has mom's card.

DaneA
12-04-2012, 14:21
Sole custody of teh kids, or has mom's card.

Nope. Wic is available to families. He is a signer on the packet. What most here are missing is that it isn't welfare in the sense of ebt or snap or food stamps. Unlike most of the other programs wic is run by the usda

CitizenOfDreams
12-04-2012, 14:25

It's just the 99% of them give the rest a bad name.

John Rambo
12-04-2012, 14:34

Probably because you sounded like an idiot.

WIC was created in the late 60s and went 'mainstream' in the 70s. This involved Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. How you got "Obama stamps" out of that, I can't understand.

Wil Ufgood
12-04-2012, 15:17
http://drosengarten.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bigstock-Eggplant-8008491.jpg

GRIMLET
12-04-2012, 15:46
Thread lock in 5-4-3-2-

2bgop
12-04-2012, 15:49
That will lock a thread in a hurry.

gjk5
12-04-2012, 15:55

So he starts to roam the streets at night
And he learns how to steal
And he learns how to fight

In the ghettooooo

cgwahl
12-04-2012, 16:26
It would be nice for the EBT folks to have the same. No high dollar foods would be available. Also a strict limit on junk food. The food would be nutritious and healthy. We could staff the store with welfare recipients and even have a daycare run by the same in the back for the employees.

This would never happen because Walmart and other stores would lose millions of dollars in sales.

Yeah, there are fast food places near me that take EBT now.

EdTracker
12-04-2012, 16:31

SAY IT AGAIN BROTHER!

I don't care AT ALL about the rest of this article but Steve0853's post should be mandatory reading for every fertile person on the planet (well maybe in the US).

Wil Ufgood
12-04-2012, 17:38
So he starts to roam the streets at night
And he learns how to steal
And he learns how to fight

In the ghettooooo
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Re-V0Jg_BDo/0.jpg

jpa
12-04-2012, 17:43
Some of the dispatchers I worked with in a 911 center outside of Chicago used to go shopping with their family or friends on food stamps at the start of the month. The would pay 30-50 cents on the dollar for whatever groceries they bought on their food stamps. Not WIC, Food Stamps. Used to piss me off.

Walk Soft
12-04-2012, 17:51
I have been offered EBT cards for .50 on the $1.00 many times.As temping as it is
1. It'd be wrong
2. I'd be too embarrassed to use them anyway.

ScumPunisher
12-04-2012, 18:06
I have been offered EBT cards for .50 on the $1.00 many times.As temping as it is
1. It'd be wrong
2. I'd be too embarrassed to use them anyway.

Shop somewhere with self-checkout! Works like a charm!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Taphius
12-05-2012, 00:07

Once you hit e4, unless you are an idiot you make more than enough money to save and still buy things you want.

I took home ~$2950 a month with BAH/BAS as a SrA, unmarried would be about $2650.

M1a65
12-05-2012, 02:03
Hey, if the military wanted me to have a wife and kids they would have issued me one...

Radam3
12-05-2012, 02:51
Tagged for future reading

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

Dennis in MA
12-05-2012, 07:26
http://drosengarten.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bigstock-Eggplant-8008491.jpg

http://www.igourmet.com/images/topics/parmesan-cheese.jpg

????

Hey, if the military wanted me to have a wife and kids they would have issued me one...

LOL

happyguy
12-05-2012, 07:39

There was a time (before mine) when a married man with a family would have a very difficult time enlisting. You also had to get your commander's permission to get married and they didn't always say yes.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)