Lee Bulge Buster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Bulge Buster

tiny68
12-02-2012, 20:11
I just purchased a Lee Bulge Buster to remove the bulge on my 40S&W from my Glock and range pickups. I my great disappoint when I opened the container and read on the enclosed docs, Lee states "not for use with Glock or other non-fully supported chambers" - paraphrasing because I am too lazy to walk over to my shop tonight.

What the heck would you need the die for if not to remove the bulge from an un-supported chamber?

Anyone use this for a Glock?

Tim

F106 Fan
12-02-2012, 20:30
There is normal case expansion and then there is the very old Glock bulge issue which is not a problem with current barrels and brass.

This is a bulge:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh9fzTmSV0w9myD4wICMOgoRIfAIjSVOxGx-YIGQ51lhZSC6D0

This case is not reuseable!

I very seriously doubt that you are finding brass that can't be resized with a normal sizing die. The die has to be all the way down against the shell holder but it should still work.

Test your resized brass with a case gauge, not a Glock barrel. The Glock chamber is so loose that you can chamber a bowling ball. What you really want is for your brass to fit in ANY chamber.

If, because of the sizing die having a large radius at the nose, you can't quite get the last little bit of case into the gauge, buy a Lee sizing die. It will get a few thousandths further down the case.

I don't think you'll find much support for the Bulge Buster around here. Everybody has figured out that if the sizing die is adjusted properly, things pretty much work out.

Get a case gauge!

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages

Richard

tiny68
12-02-2012, 21:08
Thanks for the input. I have a Gen 4 Glock 23. I primarily want to reload by own once fired brass. I currently use the Lee 4 die set and haven't had a single reload fail to chamber.

Oh well... it gives my 10 yr old something to do in the reloading room.

Tim

dkf
12-02-2012, 22:04
Thanks for the input. I have a Gen 4 Glock 23. I primarily want to reload by own once fired brass. I currently use the Lee 4 die set and haven't had a single reload fail to chamber.

Oh well... it gives my 10 yr old something to do in the reloading room.

Tim

I highly doubt you will have any problems with the barrel in your G23. If you are getting bulged brass like above picture you are most likely pushing the load at or above max anyway. (like a lot of the 10mm guys want to do that all the time) As that is not what any of .40 brass looks like out of a Glock or any other gun. Glock barrels are not real sloppy either and within SAAMI specs.(at least all I measured) Glock added some chamber support to their barrels years ago.(see pic below)

A lot of guys are under the dillusion that you need some aftermarket barrel at the minimum of the SAAMI spec chamber size range to make them a better shooter. Then they take range brass and try to run it through their tight chambered barrels and have issues. I thought about picking up a pass through die some time ago but decided to wait and see if I had problems. Never had any problems so I am glad I did not spend the money.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/SDV10/G23BarrelComparo.jpg

You don't have to have a case gauge, you can use the barrel. If you have several guns in .40 and some with tighter barrels and want to make sure the ammo runs in all of them a case gauge is a good idea. I sure am not going out and getting a case gauge for every caliber I want to reload.

SDGlock23
12-03-2012, 09:42
I use mine a lot, after resizing the case of course. It works for more than just .40 too, I've used it on .45's too.

orangeride
12-03-2012, 10:09
I'm one of those guys who love my buldge buster. I use it for 10mm out of the stock barrel and .45 out of a 1911. I found with some bullet profiles I was starting to get feed issues after 4-5 loadings. I started running my finished loads through the BB when I was done and all my problems went a way.

unclebob
12-03-2012, 10:38
I'm one of those guys who love my buldge buster. I use it for 10mm out of the stock barrel and .45 out of a 1911. I found with some bullet profiles I was starting to get feed issues after 4-5 loadings. I started running my finished loads through the BB when I was done and all my problems went a way.

If you need a FCD to fix your problem? You have a sizing or crimp issue. One firing or 10+ firing you should not have a feeding problem that you need a FCD to fix.

Uncle Don
12-03-2012, 12:34
If you need a FCD to fix your problem? You have a sizing or crimp issue. One firing or 10+ firing you should not have a feeding problem that you need a FCD to fix.

Not necessarily, I have said that I use one for crimping on a four station press because the standard seating die is used to seat the bullet only. Using that system, I can change bullet weights and types without having to move anything other than the finger adjustment of that standard sizing die. The FCD deals with only the light crimp I give them.

unclebob
12-03-2012, 14:25
Not necessarily, I have said that I use one for crimping on a four station press because the standard seating die is used to seat the bullet only. Using that system, I can change bullet weights and types without having to move anything other than the finger adjustment of that standard sizing die. The FCD deals with only the light crimp I give them.

Yes and I have done that. I used the FCD like you to remove the bell and nothing else. But that is not what I was saying. If you have to use the FCD to fix a problem you are doing something else wrong.

orangeride
12-03-2012, 15:44
With my Dillion dies adjusted as far down as possible (which is not as far as others because of the bevel) after several full power loadings I was starting to get numerous ftfeed shooting 135 nosler HP, but not with fmj. I had shoot several k with no problems then all of a sudden I started getting problems. First I thought it was my mags, then when I got some new brass without changing any die settings all my problems went away, which led me to the lee BB. Once I started using it I never looked back. It really helps to uniform your reloads.

unclebob
12-03-2012, 15:56
With my Dillion dies adjusted as far down as possible (which is not as far as others because of the bevel) after several full power loadings I was starting to get numerous ftfeed shooting 135 nosler HP, but not with fmj. I had shoot several k with no problems then all of a sudden I started getting problems. First I thought it was my mags, then when I got some new brass without changing any die settings all my problems went away, which led me to the lee BB. Once I started using it I never looked back. It really helps to uniform your reloads.

Even though I like the Dillon sizer die a lot better than the Lee In a lot of different ways. I replaced the Dillon Sizer dies with the standard Lee sizer dies. Just because it will size the case down further.

dstanley66
12-03-2012, 19:36
[QUOTE=F106 Fan;19693623]There is normal case expansion and then there is the very old Glock bulge issue which is not a problem with current barrels and brass.

This is a bulge:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh9fzTmSV0w9myD4wICMOgoRIfAIjSVOxGx-YIGQ51lhZSC6D0

This does happen now, my brothers s&w sd40ve does this to every piece of brass that is fired through it, so still watch for this. maybe not in the glocks but some others.

orangeride
12-03-2012, 22:38
Even though I like the Dillon sizer die a lot better than the Lee In a lot of different ways. I replaced the Dillon Sizer dies with the standard Lee sizer dies. Just because it will size the case down further.

The only rounds I find that need the BB for feeding is big hollow points or the big WFN, all other fmj rounds feed just fine right of the 650.

Colorado4Wheel
12-03-2012, 23:06
That makes no sense. What does the sizing die, bullet combo have to do with anything. Seems more like you have another issue and have settled on the die being the problem by mistake.

F106 Fan
12-04-2012, 00:05
[QUOTE=F106 Fan;19693623]There is normal case expansion and then there is the very old Glock bulge issue which is not a problem with current barrels and brass.

This is a bulge:

This does happen now, my brothers s&w sd40ve does this to every piece of brass that is fired through it, so still watch for this. maybe not in the glocks but some others.

If that's the case, your brother has a gun that is about to display an ability to self-disassemble. With luck, it will blow the magazine out the bottom and that might only result in burns to the hands where the hot gas pours out through every opening in the grip.

Shooting a gun that causes this kind of guppy smile is a serious mistake.

Richard

vafish
12-04-2012, 09:13
I just purchased a Lee Bulge Buster to remove the bulge on my 40S&W from my Glock and range pickups. I my great disappoint when I opened the container and read on the enclosed docs, Lee states "not for use with Glock or other non-fully supported chambers" - paraphrasing because I am too lazy to walk over to my shop tonight.

What the heck would you need the die for if not to remove the bulge from an un-supported chamber?

Anyone use this for a Glock?

Tim

Lawyer speak so you don't sue them if your reloads blow up your glock.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Uncle Don
12-04-2012, 10:29
[quote=dstanley66;19697088]

If that's the case, your brother has a gun that is about to display an ability to self-disassemble. With luck, it will blow the magazine out the bottom and that might only result in burns to the hands where the hot gas pours out through every opening in the grip.

Shooting a gun that causes this kind of guppy smile is a serious mistake.

Richard

We don't agree on a great deal sometimes, but I'm completely with you on that statement.

F106 Fan
12-04-2012, 10:45
[quote=F106 Fan;19697997]

We don't agree on a great deal sometimes, but I'm completely with you on that statement.

If we all agreed, all the time, we wouldn't be learning anything!

Richard

orangeride
12-04-2012, 15:07
The only thing I could figure out is that enough cases with a slight buldge would stack funny in the mag causing a miss feed on the mag lips. Like I said before I had several loadings with no problems then I started getting tons of problems. I started using the BB and everything went back to normal. The cases from the Dillion dies would fit in a case gauge, but the problem was the back end of the case was out of round, cause feed problems. The bigger the HP the sooner the problem would show up. By using the BB is not so much about sizing it down but more about bring the case back to round.

Colorado4Wheel
12-04-2012, 15:23
The only thing I could figure out is that enough cases with a slight buldge would stack funny in the mag causing a miss feed on the mag lips. Like I said before I had several loadings with no problems then I started getting tons of problems. I started using the BB and everything went back to normal. The cases from the Dillion dies would fit in a case gauge, but the problem was the back end of the case was out of round, cause feed problems. The bigger the HP the sooner the problem would show up. By using the BB is not so much about sizing it down but more about bring the case back to round.

So did you actually confirm this bulge with some dial calipers after sizing but before loading? Did you case gauge? Something to actually show the Dillon die was not working right? Was the die touching the shellplate?