Still bothered... Perv tried to take a pic of my daughter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Still bothered... Perv tried to take a pic of my daughter

Mr Spock
12-02-2012, 19:27
We were packing up the stuff to leave a family oriented restaurant tonight (2 small kids... Lots of stuff), and my daughter (not quite 3 y/o) is standing on the other side of me playing with her mom's phone. The weird looking, heavy-set, middle aged guy at the table directly in front of us, about 3 feet away, levels his phone toward her sideways ready to take a picture. I quickly step in front and ask him quietly but firmly if he is trying to take a picture of my kid, and he actually admits it and nods his head. I tell him that is not right and is not going to happen, and he just brushes it off and responds to indicate that he didnt see anything wrong with his actions. I go into a very protective mode and lose a little polish and tact at that point and in a very firm voice demand that he put his phone down, asked what his problem was, and called him a sick freak and a pedophile.

By that time my wife had gotten our son situated and we were leaving, so that was the end of that.

A couple weeks ago my mother in law had my daughter in ToysRUs when a creepy guy was following them through the store and watching her... The MIL went to customer service and told them and hung out around the staff until the guy left.

Just another reminder tonight that there are a lot of crazy people out there and another lesson why we need to be aware of our surroundings.

SGT HATRED
12-02-2012, 19:30
Something about public spaces and expectation of privacy?

Mr Spock
12-02-2012, 19:35

Something about a grown adult man having NO legitimate reason WHATSOEVER to have a picture of a stranger's 2 YEAR OLD daughter on his phone.

Any LE who read this want to chime in on Hatred's comment? Do you allow this in your cities?

itstime
12-02-2012, 19:39
That is an upsetting story indeed. I see no reason to click a pic of a child like that.

Batesmotel
12-02-2012, 19:40
Do you allow this in your cities?

What he tried to do was not illegal. Sick and twisted but not a crime. :steamed: You were in a public place.

Good to see you were on your toes. These sick freaks are out there. You never know what will spark one into becoming obsessed with one particular child.

boby
12-02-2012, 19:46
So taking a picture of any child other than yours makes you a pedophile?

dbow
12-02-2012, 19:48
i worry about this all the time. I have a 5yr old that is the most beautiful girl! i'm just sick at the thought that i have to send her to a elem school where i know a teacher who is a pervert. It sucks that we don't have open enrollment for our schools in Md (marylandastan)

USMCsilver
My kid has had his picture taken a few times by complete strangers; however, they always asked, first. He's a cute kid...what can I say? :)

Mr Spock

Give me just one legitimate reason why he would be taking the picture that doesn't make him a pedophile.

:upeyes:

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 19:54
I would have done the same.

People who aren't parents of young kids in the digital age don't know that it is extremely bad form to take a photo of someone's kid without asking the parent's permission. Sometimes its an innocent oversight. Still, you trust your spidey senses and do what you have to do.

Drjones
12-02-2012, 19:58

You're right. The little girl was dressed like a slut, I'm sure, and was asking for it.

Right?

Drjones
12-02-2012, 20:01

Not necessarily, but IMO, likely. That's just creepy and weird.

What, are they going to frame it & keep it in their house? Sell it & make money off it? Laminate it & take it into the shower?

No, when I have kids, any stranger asks to take a picture of them is going to get lit up.

Serious question: If you had a hot girlfriend & I (or a woman for that matter) come up & say, "Man, your lady is HOT! Mind if I take a pic??", what would your reaction be; in all seriousness.

Hrsuhd
12-02-2012, 20:02

Yes if you dont know the people at all.

Foxterriermom
12-02-2012, 20:02
I think you did good! It is your job to protect your family and that is exactly what you did.

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 20:03
Not necessarily, but IMO, likely. That's just creepy and weird.

What, are they going to frame it & keep it in their house? Sell it & make money off it? Laminate it & take it into the shower?

No, when I have kids, any stranger asks to take a picture of them is going to get lit up.

Serious question: If you had a hot girlfriend & I (or a woman for that matter) come up & say, "Man, your lady is HOT! Mind if I take a pic??", what would your reaction be; in all seriousness.

Its right up there with handling your smartphone in the restroom or locker room.

skinny99
12-02-2012, 20:04
As the proud father of a 1 year old daughter,who is very cute this is a worry of mine. I would have reacted very much the same. I may have been louder even quicker, I am very,very protective and tend to react swiftly and loudly to most situations. keep on protecting your family, it is your most important job!

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 20:05

It's a parents job to protect the child, not to delve into the motives of the photographer.

USMCsilver
12-02-2012, 20:05
Sorry, but I just gotta show off my kid to a bunch of strangers.

This was taken by a stranger who worked for the local paper. She (hottie) asked for permission, and of course, I gave it to her. I'm not sure if it made the paper or not. I mean, hell, it shoulda been a full-sized image on the front page.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VE4WXefoiuA/ULwWKW5AuII/AAAAAAAAC8k/9WBlitnUgkI/s518/colt_gameday_2012.JPG

Travelin' Jack
12-02-2012, 20:06
Give me just one legitimate reason why he would be taking the picture that doesn't make him a pedophile.

I took a picture of a random child once. He was five-ish and the spitting image of my cousin. I called my aunt to see if it was him (didn't figure so, but the resemblance was uncanny) and she asked me to get a picture. :dunno:

Bruce M
12-02-2012, 20:09
Anyone have any idea whether or not taking a picture of a young child that is not known to the person would rise to the level of being suspicious enough for further inquiry by law enforcement?

PBR Sailor
12-02-2012, 20:10
If I suspected that a child predator was taking a picture of my young child, they would need anti-acid to help aid in the digestion of their camera.

AK_Stick
12-02-2012, 20:13

I've taken photos of kids several times generally when they were doing something cute, or displaying a great example of poor parenting.

happyguy
12-02-2012, 20:14
Anyone who likes children not their own is a pedophile. :upeyes:

Actually I tend to like the children better than the parents. But that's just me.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

TBO
12-02-2012, 20:14
If something is legal you must support it.

Rabbi
12-02-2012, 20:15

People have the right to attempt a lot of things. that doesnt mean they have a right to succeed.

PBR Sailor
12-02-2012, 20:16

Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.

AK_Stick
12-02-2012, 20:17
Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it wrong.

Rabbi
12-02-2012, 20:18
Anyone have any idea whether or not taking a picture of a young child that is not known to the person would rise to the level of being suspicious enough for further inquiry by law enforcement?

It is generally not an illegal act. You can photograph people in public and you dont need their permission. Of course you can tell me where to stand for your picture either. I can ruin your attempts to photograph my child but I can not use force to do so.

Detectorist
12-02-2012, 20:18
You overreacted. There is nothing harmful or sick. What would have you done if he tried to take a picture of her outside?

Answer, nothing. You may feel it's wrong but its not illegal by any means.

ysr_racer
12-02-2012, 20:22
Call the cops, let them figure it out.

Z71bill
12-02-2012, 20:22
I though Chuck-E- Cheese had a NO PEDOPHILE sign right next to the NO GUN sign. :upeyes:

happyguy
12-02-2012, 20:23

This was taken by a stranger who worked for the local paper. She (hottie) asked for permission, and of course, I gave it to her. I'm not sure if it made the paper or not. I mean, hell, it shoulda been a full-sized image on the front page.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VE4WXefoiuA/ULwWKW5AuII/AAAAAAAAC8k/9WBlitnUgkI/s518/colt_gameday_2012.JPG

Yeah, I'd be braggin' on him too.

Regards,

Phaze5ive
12-02-2012, 20:24
Newsflash: people take pictures of random, little kids all the time. I don't understand why because I think little children are loud, annoying, poop machines, but some people think they're adorable and photogenic.

Inebriated
12-02-2012, 20:26

Your kid was wearing something he'd just got for his, and is showing his wife. I can throw out some more, but I'm guessing you don't want to hear any.

Peace Warrior
12-02-2012, 20:31
I think you did good! It is your job to protect your family and that is exactly what you did.
This^.

Screw whatever the prevailing definition of "society's norms" or "civilization's norms" are supposed to be this week. You're a father. You're supposed to notice things out of the ordinary concerning your kids and take appropriate action(s).

Way to go OP.

Detectorist
12-02-2012, 20:33

Great looking kid. Get ready to get an unlimited minutes phone contract when he's older. With all the chicks who are going to be after him, you'll need it. :cool:

USMCsilver
12-02-2012, 20:35
Yeah, I'd be braggin' on him too.

Regards,

Great looking kid. Get ready to get an unlimited minutes phone contract when he's older. With all the chicks who are going to be after him, you'll need it. :cool:

LOL, thanks, fellas.

If I had a little girl, maybe I'd be more leery of folks.

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 20:35
Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it wrong.

How about if some guy sat there naked in the gym locker room and took photos of you as you showered? Wrong?

happyguy
12-02-2012, 20:36
This^.

Screw whatever the prevailing definition of "society's norms" or "civilization's norms" are supposed to be this week. You're a father. You're supposed to notice things out of the ordinary concerning your kids and take appropriate action(s).

Way to go OP.

I talk to kids all the time. I guess I need to start looking out for all you macho men.

Edit: Funny though, I've never met any of you out in the real world.

Regards,

Powers77
12-02-2012, 20:36
I don't have kids but would not have liked it either. I'd have made it a point to take his photo as well and then tell him the authorities would be involved if I ever caught sight of him near my family.

AZ DBLTRBL
12-02-2012, 20:38

No...but it does make it creepy and weird...and that is enough of a reason to put a stop to it. Go take pictures of someone else's kid...you ain't getting a picture of mine. Creepy guy is creepy...

AK_Stick
12-02-2012, 20:39
How about if some guy sat there naked in the gym locker room and took photos of you as you showered? Wrong?

Completely different situation. Aside from the camera there is litterally nothing similar between the two.

Might as well ask

How about if a bear was mauling you and a plane crashed into the port of abudabi?

happyguy
12-02-2012, 20:40
What's really creepy is I think some of you are projecting.

Regards,

Phaze5ive
12-02-2012, 20:41

Well, if someone chooses to eat out nude, I don't really think they care if people took their picture...

NMG26
12-02-2012, 20:43

LOL

TBO you crack me up!

*ASH*
12-02-2012, 20:46
ive got 2 grown daughters , when they were younger , yeah it would piss me off , now if someone asked hey can i take a picture and explain why to me , i might think different . but i dont see any reason for anyone to take pics of kids except family , and photo shoots

its not illegal but thats beside the point

geofri

With a phone? Yes.

With a large camera around their neck.. strange but maybe just a photographer. They should( and most do) ask parents permission.

Phaze5ive
oh yeah, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEWVGXtuqo

Mr Spock
12-02-2012, 20:47

No, I don't.

Glocksanity

If something is illegal you must condemn it.

Critias
I'd say -- and standard disclaimer, I'm a non-parent here -- that if someone had a reasonable reason to take a pic of a kiddo, I wouldn't hold it against them. If a young couple is taking a photo of another family's stroller because they think it's cool and they want one just like it, if a mom coos over a cute baby outfit and wants to pick it up, or whatever. Sure. Not everyone that takes a picture of a kid is up to no good.

But all that said?

Trust your gut. If someone's doing something like that, ask them why. You don't have to draw down on them or tactically blade your body in preparation of loosing a maelstrom of UFC moves or something. Just get between them and the kiddo, ask them what they're doing, and then trust your gut from there. Unless your gut tells you to do something really stupid, the odds are the worst that will happen is maybe you hurt a decent person's feelings.

And, well, accidentally hurting someone's feelings ain't the end of the world.

G29Reload
12-02-2012, 20:48
Something about a grown adult man having NO legitimate reason WHATSOEVER to have a picture of a stranger's 2 YEAR OLD daughter on his phone.

Any LE who read this want to chime in on Hatred's comment? Do you allow this in your cities?

Not everyone that takes pics is a pervert. True, modern times do present new issues, but there are plenty lof people out there who are just interestesd in topical photography. Also, some kids are just plain adorable and photogenic. I dont go out of my way to snap pics randomly in public, but it is pleasant to see a well behaved kid doing something silly or making his parent laugh while say, pushing your cart down the aisle in a supermarket. I dont have any kids of my own but i appreciate others as long as theyre well behaved. I try to smile at them when they smile at me. Especially if the cart is being pushed by a cute single mom.

The idea that pretty much everyone has a high end digicam on them with their cell phone is also a reminder that theres no expectation of privacy in public. So long as someone isnt creating a scene, disturbing the public, gathered with a bunch of hoods looking like a kidnap team at the next booth in the restaurant or doing something perverted with the hand not taking the picture, id ignore it or take it as a complement that someone thinks you have a cute kid.

Mr Spock
12-02-2012, 20:50
Your kid was wearing something he'd just got for his, and is showing his wife. I can throw out some more, but I'm guessing you don't want to hear any.

When he defended his actions he did so by saying it was because she was cute.

Still no legitimate reasons here...

DaneA
While it would not be weird or creepy if someone asked to take a picture of my child, taking one without my permission will get you a rather heated version of me. It may not be illegal but one should ask permission from the parent first.

OP you did right.

Also, tell you wife to stay out of ToysRus as they are anti-gun.

Ragnar

Yeah, I need a bit more context than that to bust a guy up.

concretefuzzynuts
I guess I'm really out of the loop. It wouldn't occur to me that a stranger taking a picture of a child meant the person was a pedophile. Unless they were trying to get a certain pose.

Many years ago children were the subject of photography. To show the joy and innocence of childhood. I guess those days are gone?

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/furn/susutuchildtoy.jpg

Ragnar
12-02-2012, 20:52

My sister has an annoying habit of taking pictures of dogs doing cute things and posting them on facebook. Some people probably take pictures of kids doing cute things too. Oh wait a minute, my granny took my picture when I was a kid. :wow:

bug
12-02-2012, 20:54
This sounds like another good reason to carry a small bright flashlight!

Inebriated
12-02-2012, 20:56
When he defended his actions he did so by saying it was because she was cute.

Still no legitimate reasons here...
If it's legal, then it's legitimate. So most reasons would be legitimate. Now whether you find that acceptable or not is your deal. Now I'm not knocking what you did. Your job is to protect your child from a perceived threat, and you did that well.

skinny99
12-02-2012, 20:57
I guess I'm really out of the loop. It wouldn't occur to me that a stranger taking a picture of a child meant the person was a pedophile. Unless they were trying to get a certain pose.

Many years ago children were the subject of photography. To show the joy and innocence of childhood. I guess those days are gone?

Trust me, my wife works for Child Protective Services. Listen to her and her co-workers for about ten minutes and you will quickly change your thoughts. Everyday they work on crimes that started out innocent but turned out dangerous and/or perverted.

As a society we have normalized so many things that used to be taboo that even pedophilia doesn't have that overwhelming shame that used to control people's actions.

Ohio Copper
12-02-2012, 20:57
Just making sure you don't violate your kids civil rights....

KommieforniaGlocker
12-02-2012, 21:01
"Trust your Gut"

The hell with all else.

Mr Spock
12-02-2012, 21:02
Not everyone that takes pics is a pervert. True, modern times do present new issues, but there are plenty lof people out there who are just interestesd in topical photography. Also, some kids are just plain adorable and photogenic. I dont go out of my way to snap pics randomly in public, but it is pleasant to see a well behaved kid doing something silly or making his parent laugh while say, pushing your cart down the aisle in a supermarket. I dont have any kids of my own but i appreciate others as long as theyre well behaved. I try to smile at them when they smile at me. Especially if the cart is being pushed by a cute single mom.

The idea that pretty much everyone has a high end digicam on them with their cell phone is also a reminder that theres no expectation of privacy in public. So long as someone isnt creating a scene, disturbing the public, gathered with a bunch of hoods looking like a kidnap team at the next booth in the restaurant or doing something perverted with the hand not taking the picture, id ignore it or take it as a complement that someone thinks you have a cute kid.

Topical photography is one thing. ****ty cell phone pic is not topical photography.

concretefuzzynuts
12-02-2012, 21:13
Trust me, my wife works for Child Protective Services. Listen to her and her co-workers for about ten minutes and you will quickly change your thoughts. Everyday they work on crimes that started out innocent but turned out dangerous and/or perverted.

As a society we have normalized so many things that used to be taboo that even pedophilia doesn't have that overwhelming shame that used to control people's actions.

I am 52. My son is 27. Things have changed that much?

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 21:13
I though Chuck-E- Cheese had a NO PEDOPHILE sign right next to the NO GUN sign. :upeyes:

They have a no gun sign? I've carried every time I was in there.

I despise CEC. If there is any place that keeps the hair on the back of my neck standing up, it is CEC. I don't trust that effing mouse.

concretefuzzynuts
12-02-2012, 21:15
Are we more aware or is it more prevalent?

jtmac
12-02-2012, 21:17
If you had reason to think the guy was a creep, you did good.

But all this assumption that people are creeps only because they take a picture of a kid, this is ridiculous.

People like kids, and that's find and good. People take pictures of scenes they are enjoying, from friends to food to fricking anything, and that's fine. We have a social etiquette that generally dictates that although it may be acceptable to photograph people as part of a larger, incidental setting, it is generally not acceptable to photograph individuals without their permission. Breaking this understood rule means someone lacks etiquette, but it does not mean they are a pervert. If someone has even the slightest inkling that the person taking pictures is a pervert, sure, put the fear of God into them. If you just feel that public photo etiquette is important, give them a piece of your mind. But that photo taking in and of itself does not mean they're a pervert.

People who see predators everywhere make it harder for normal people to have normal interactions with children, and make it much harder to take actual warning signs seriously.

happyguy
12-02-2012, 21:20
If you had reason to think the guy was a creep, you did good.

But all this assumption that people are creeps only because they take a picture of a kid, this is ridiculous.

People like kids, and that's find and good. People take pictures of scenes they are enjoying, from friends to food to fricking anything, and that's fine. We have a social etiquette that generally dictates that although it may be acceptable to photograph people as part of a larger, incidental setting, it is generally not acceptable to photograph individuals without their permission. Breaking this understood rule means someone lacks etiquette, but it does not mean they are a pervert. If someone has even the slightest inkling that the person taking pictures is a pervert, sure, put the fear of God into them. If you just feel that public photo etiquette is important, give them a piece of your mind. But that photo taking in and of itself does not mean they're a pervert.

People who see predators everywhere make it harder for normal people to have normal interactions with children, and make it much harder to take actual warning signs seriously.

You also have to take into account that many of the posters here suffer from internet testosterone poisoning.

Regards,

Peace Warrior
12-02-2012, 21:22
I talk to kids all the time. I guess I need to start looking out for all you macho men.

Edit: Funny though, I've never met any of you out in the real world.

Regards,
Who cares what you think is normal for you? I certainly don't and would tend to believe that millions of other parents don;t either. But more to the point, let's say you wanted take a photo my 2 or 3 year old daughter, such as was described in the OP, I'd stop you from doing so pretty much the same way he did. See, my post had/has nothing to do with machismo. It related/relates to being a good father.

Lastly, I known some great fathers that probably couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack, probably couldn't shoot a gun and hit what they were aiming at beyond 21 feet, and last but not least probably lacked the outdoor skills to keep themselves alive for more than a day or two if they had to live off the land, however, with all their lack of machismo, they managed to be/become some great fathers.

larry_minn
12-02-2012, 21:38

Regards,

Yep have to wonder. You dress your kid to go out in public but are concerned about folks taking a pic?

Never seen a outfit/shirt that would be perfect, (or saying that you agree/disagree) I have seen many pics on this forum that I assume the photographer did NOT have written concent to take. Its public.

ArrowJ
12-02-2012, 21:47
The weird looking, heavy-set, middle aged guy

If he had been a not "weird" looking, thin, young guy would you have called him "a sick freak and a pedophile.?

I have kids and may have interviewed as well, I am not sure I would commit myself to calling him out as a pedophile.

mr00jimbo
12-02-2012, 22:03
If it were a woman would you be ok with it?

AZ DBLTRBL
12-02-2012, 22:24
If he had been a not "weird" looking, thin, young guy would you have called him "a sick freak and a pedophile.?

I have kids and may have interviewed as well, I am not sure I would commit myself to calling him out as a pedophile.

The problem is that no one can know what is in a man's heart. Maybe it was innocent...and maybe it wasn't. Do a local search for registered sex offenders in your neighborhood...they are legion. I really don't have the time or the inclination to figure out which camp you fall into. You are not gonna take a picture of my (now) grandchildren. Ya want pics? Take some of YOUR kids.

Kevin108
12-02-2012, 22:26
I understand how easy it is to get angry but you could have just asked him what the deal was. Might be that your little girl looks like the daughter he'd lost to some tragedy or something. Or your gut could have been right.

davew83
12-02-2012, 22:37
He's a cute kid...what can I say? :)
Obviously gets his good looks from his mom.

:tongueout:

davew83
12-02-2012, 22:38

I see proof of brain washing and child abuse, how dare you subject him to wearing South Carolina clothing. Poor kid.

:supergrin:

smokeross
12-02-2012, 22:43
Dude was a pervert. Case closed.

Gray_Rider
12-02-2012, 22:53
A total stranger trying to be clandistine about taking a picture of a little girl tot with a cell phone? And this is up for discussion about the father's actions here? Seriously?

Its got creepy written all over it. The stranger is a strange one, and I wouldn't want my little girl's image in such a person's cell phone for any reason.

Nuff said!

Gray_Rider

Chuck TX
12-02-2012, 22:53
Shoulda gone:

"Are you trying to steal my child's spirit, Paleface?!? Aowowowowowowow!"

It's more intimidating if you're American Indian. If not they'll think you're crazy, which also works.

HollowHead
12-02-2012, 22:57
For krysakes! Out of expediency I was forced to eat at a Golden Corral and saw a toddler with a french fry in his left nostril at the next table. It's a good thing I didn't take a crappy cellphone pic with some of the posts here... HH

Al Czervik
12-02-2012, 23:08
Completely different situation. Aside from the camera there is litterally nothing similar between the two.

Might as well ask

How about if a bear was mauling you and a plane crashed into the port of abudabi?

:rofl::rofl:

Well, obviously Okapis are painting the boathouse at Hereford a new color.

In years past, not everyone had a camera on board, all the time. Now, most people do have them. Perhaps few have proper etiquette, or even the awareness of what is and is not proper, which seems to be increasing in all aspects of modern life.
However, it is not generally illegal to photograph someone in a public place. Publishing said photos can be a different ball of wax.
I generally would not allow a complete stranger to photograph my kids, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.

ilgunguygt
12-02-2012, 23:32
I'm guessing some in here wouldnt like me. Im a 6'6" tall over 300lb guy with scraggly facial hair that walks with a limp due to paralysis in my right leg. I also smile at every little kid that smiles at me. Any time a child honors me with an offer of conversation I oblige them. You only have one chance to be positive influence in in the life of the average person that you should casually meet. Why waste it?

I still remember an old man I met when I was kid, this was in the 1980s(early) and he was in his 80s then. My dad had me and my two brothers together at a barbershop that he had frequented for 20 years. My brother was being a brat and wouldnt cooperate and this old guy said "If you behave Ill buy you and both your brothers an ice cream cone next door." He then made jokes and talked with me and my other brother while the third brother was getting his hair cut. Then we went for ice cream. We didnt know this man from anyone but he sure had an influence on me, I still remember it years later. What would you say to that man? Would you assume him a pedaphile?

Al Czervik
12-03-2012, 00:02
^That guy sounds like an absolute menace.

Blunt object
12-03-2012, 01:19

Well said.

A dog that barks incessantly ain't much of a watch dog.

I would argue that it also makes it harder for kids to have normal interactions with people, and make it much harder for them to take actual warning signs seriously.

Most people like kids.
The vast majority aren't pedophiles.

If you hammer the "stranger, danger" theme without more specific instruction you may leave your child wide open to approach by the far more (statistically) likely non-stranger abusers, i.e., family, school peers, teachers, coaches and etc.

That said, certainly agree that photo dude should have immediately backed off when called on his behavior.

harlenm
12-03-2012, 02:47
They have a no gun sign? I've carried every time I was in there.

I despise CEC. If there is any place that keeps the hair on the back of my neck standing up, it is CEC. I don't trust that effing mouse.

Yes they do, it says no weapons. I carry there anyway, of course.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Louisville Glocker
12-03-2012, 03:13
I've been a pro-photographer, but now I'm just an amateur photographer. I've got three young boys also. So yeah, I do sometimes snap a few pix of other kids, usually kids on their teams at sporting events, or maybe at a birthday party. My intent is to give pix to the other parent and capture the event.

But yeah, a complete stranger taking pix of my kid would lead to some questioning. (like who are you and why are you taking pictures of my kid)

However, it is all in your perspective. My ex sees me taking pix of my kid at the YMCA basketball game and tells me other parents don't like it because I'm some "creepy guy taking pictures." But at the same time, I'm fairly clean-cut, and a more objective observer, the Y's Program Director, is asking me on that very same day if I'd be willing to coach the basketball team. (I'm now coaching - fun stuff). Some people are just paranoid, and the ex is a *****, but it is tough to know other people's intentions is what it comes down to. (by the way, my big kid's team is now 3-0, he's one of the best players, and my middle kid had 4 baskets last game, new "career high!" (he's only four, but is rocking it in the 4-5 league because he's huge, plus he has mad skills.....).

In a family restaurant, no. But on a basketball court, yes, people will be snapping pix of my kids for years to come. Just part of engaging with society.

eracer
12-03-2012, 03:28
I never take my camera to the beach anymore. Trying to get pictures of seagulls and sand castles and stuff is almost impossible these days, due to all the scantily clad children running around. That, and the fact that I'm a heavy-set middle-aged guy. Might as well paint a sign on my chest.

Hell, I might just quit going to the beach all together. Just my being there probably triggers some paranoid parents' deepest fears.

NeverMore1701
12-03-2012, 03:49
Reminds me, a couple of weeks ago I was at the gas station just after dark. After filling up, I was going to run inside for a six pack of Shiner. There were a few people waiting to get gas, so I was just going to pull up to the front of the store. I waited a minivan to go in front of me, then pulled into the parking space beside it, waited for the ~10 year old girl and her mom to get out and close their doors, then got out of my truck to go inside. The mom glanced at me, grabbed the kid, and hustled into the store while throwing back the most suspicious, fearful glares I've ever seen. The look on her face was that she was convinced I was going to rape and murder them both right there in front of the store, then drive to their house and burn it down, after eating their hamster alive.

My wife, who stayed in the truck, asked me WTF the woman's problem was when I got back. It was just bizarre.

Inebriated
12-03-2012, 03:54
Reminds me, a couple of weeks ago I was at the gas station just after dark. After filling up, I was going to run inside for a six pack of Shiner. There were a few people waiting to get gas, so I was just going to pull up to the front of the store. I waited a minivan to go in front of me, then pulled into the parking space beside it, waited for the ~10 year old girl and her mom to get out and close their doors, then got out of my truck to go inside. The mom glanced at me, grabbed the kid, and hustled into the store while throwing back the most suspicious, fearful glares I've ever seen. The look on her face was that she was convinced I was going to rape and murder them both right there in front of the store, then drive to their house and burn it down, after eating their hamster alive.

My wife, who stayed in the truck, asked me WTF the woman's problem was when I got back. It was just bizarre.
Well it isn't often that a woman and her daughter see a horse hop out of a truck to go get a 6-pack.

Also, congrats on 20k posts

eracer
12-03-2012, 04:05
Well it isn't often that a woman and her daughter see a horse hop out of a truck to go get a 6-pack.

Also, congrats on 20k posts:whistling::supergrin:

Bren
12-03-2012, 04:18
We were packing up the stuff to leave a family oriented restaurant tonight (2 small kids... Lots of stuff), and my daughter (not quite 3 y/o) is standing on the other side of me playing with her mom's phone. The weird looking, heavy-set, middle aged guy at the table directly in front of us, about 3 feet away, levels his phone toward her sideways ready to take a picture. I quickly step in front and ask him quietly but firmly if he is trying to take a picture of my kid, and he actually admits it and nods his head. I tell him that is not right and is not going to happen, and he just brushes it off and responds to indicate that he didnt see anything wrong with his actions.

Just another reminder tonight that there are a lot of crazy people out there and another lesson why we need to be aware of our surroundings.

A lot of crazy people ... and one of them is you. Seriously? It's 2012 - everybody has a camera with them and people take pictures in public all the time. That does not necessarily mean "perve."

However, I congratulate you on fitting in perfectly at Glock Talk.

Psychman
12-03-2012, 04:48
OP, I understand your concern, but try to take a few deep breaths before overreacting to what was probably just a benign situation. Do you honestly think calling him a pedophile was the best way to handle this situation? How about just asking him to please not take pictures of your children without asking first? Part of being a parent is to set a good example for your children.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 04:56

If my post were about unicorns, would you have posted a reply about frogs?

What if scenarios sure are fun.

NeverMore1701
12-03-2012, 04:58

You mean like "what if some random guy at a resturaunt was a pedophile"?

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 04:58
If it were a woman would you be ok with it?

Depends on how she appeared/acted. Also, women are much less likely to want to do awful things to children, so that would change things.

This is the last "what if" I feel like addressing. You could go on forever about different circumstances, but they'd be meaningless because they'd be.... yep, different circumstances.

Psychman
12-03-2012, 05:00
Hightech, If you think that pedophiles all look like the guy at the restaurant then you are truely mistaken.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 05:01
You mean like "what if some random guy at a resturaunt was a pedophile"?

He wants to take a picture of my kid... Tough for him, but my kid, my rules. Rule 1 is you have no reason to take her pic in that situation. Rule 2 is if you try and I see you, you better have a good reason or you're going to be assumed to have bad intentions. Don't want to be subjected to rule 2, don't break rule 1.

My kid, my responsibility to protect her - NOT my responsibility to protect the feelings of a guy who, at best, is completely socially inept and is a *********, and at worst has evil intentions toward a 2 year old.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 05:09
Well said.

A dog that barks incessantly ain't much of a watch dog.

I would argue that it also makes it harder for kids to have normal interactions with people, and make it much harder for them to take actual warning signs seriously.

Most people like kids.
The vast majority aren't pedophiles.

If you hammer the "stranger, danger" theme without more specific instruction you may leave your child wide open to approach by the far more (statistically) likely non-stranger abusers, i.e., family, school peers, teachers, coaches and etc.

That said, certainly agree that photo dude should have immediately backed off when called on his behavior.

Your comment and the one you quoted are based on the assumption that I perceive that everyone is a danger. As I mentioned in the original and subsequent posts, the guy gave off a very definite impression and my gut was not to trust him. I am a good judge of character and most certainly do not assume everyone is bad. My gut instinct about people is most often correct, though, so I trust that over giving the guy the chance to actually be a pervert.

686Owner
12-03-2012, 05:11

What are you doing? Anyone that looks at that pic is a pedophile.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 05:13
I never take my camera to the beach anymore. Trying to get pictures of seagulls and sand castles and stuff is almost impossible these days, due to all the scantily clad children running around. That, and the fact that I'm a heavy-set middle-aged guy. Might as well paint a sign on my chest.

Hell, I might just quit going to the beach all together. Just my being there probably triggers some paranoid parents' deepest fears.

Exactly, except that we weren't at the beach, he had a cell phone and not a camera, he wasn't taking pictures of other stuff, and admitted he was trying to take her pic. So it's pretty much exactly what you said, but just nothing like it.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 05:16
Hightech, If you think that pedophiles all look like the guy at the restaurant then you are truely mistaken.

I don't. The totality of the scenario led me to that impression. Any number of things could have been different but still contributed to the same conclusion based on the overall picture.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 05:18
OP, I understand your concern, but try to take a few deep breaths before overreacting to what was probably just a benign situation. Do you honestly think calling him a pedophile was the best way to handle this situation? How about just asking him to please not take pictures of your children without asking first? Part of being a parent is to set a good example for your children.

Agreed. I could have disengaged prior to that point. If there's ever a next time, that's exactly what I will do. My wife and I talked about the same thing.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 05:20

In that situation, I wouldn't give you a second look. People get out of cars at a gas station all the time. Some sit in their cars a few minutes and some don't. Big deal.

Act in a manner that violates social norms while also giving a creepy vibe, and do this with one of my kids as your target, and I'll address you then.

The Machinist
12-03-2012, 05:25
HighTechRedneck, I would have done the same thing as you. There are far too many sick animals out there preying on children.

Notice the usual suspects all over this thread going to bat for the guy trying to sneak a pic of your daughter.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 05:31
HighTechRedneck, I would have done the same thing as you. There are far too many sick animals out there preying on children.

Notice the usual suspects all over this thread going to bat for the guy trying to sneak a pic of your daughter.

And all the usual accusations that I assume everyone is bad, profiled the guy for x, y, or z reason, I'm a macho Rambo wannabe, etc. I expected to be painted with a rather wide brush with no evidence to support their claims, so I'm not so concerned.

I know there are a lot of parents of young kids on here so I just wanted to post that experience as a reminder and to have a legitimate discussion.

tadbart
12-03-2012, 05:38
while driving in Alaska, i crested the hill to a great view of the mountains. i stopped, busted out the camera, and began to take a few pics. next thing i knew, a Trooper was pulled in behind me asking why i was taking pics of the elementary school.

i totally didn't have a problem with his questions, once i realized what it looked like i was doing. i gladly showed him my photos, then we stood around talking hunting and hiking. i imagine if i had pics of little kids playing on the playground, the visit woulda gone differently.

Psychman
12-03-2012, 06:14

What are you talking about? I haven't seen anybody "going to bat" for the guy. I have seen people questioning the OPs over reaction to the situation. By his own admission it was an over reaction and he would handle it differently should it happen again.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 06:17
What are you talking about? I haven't seen anybody "going to bat" for the guy. I have seen people questioning the OPs over reaction to the situation. By his own admission it was an over reaction and he would handle it differently should it happen again.

Not an overreaction at all. Just wouldn't continue to engage in a very appropriate reaction since the alternative would simply be better since I had kids around. I'd choose a different action based entirely on the same reaction.

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 06:39
To the OP, I think you reacted well. My children are teenagers now, but I had one incident when one was younger and it got quite ugly. As certifiedfunds said, unless you have small children...you may not understand.

In your case, the guy could have had no bad intentions, but the fact that he didn't ask permission and was attempting to do so in somewhat secretive manner, leads you to certainly be suspicious.

Yes, there is likely nothing illegal about what he was attempting to do. However it doesn't mean that someone might not want to hold you accountable and being willing to pay the possible price for your actions anyway. Someone accidentally bumps into your little girl, knocking her to the ground, and then says 'watch out, you stupid little brat'...nothing illegal. However try that on some Dads, and you might end up with a black eye. And yes, the Dad might end up with assault and battery charges. Life is about choices.

Pedophiles are a scary breed. Not sure if this guy was one or not. But a parent being protective of their child against a possible pedophile threat, that's certainly something that I would expect most Dads to do. And IMHO, the OP did a nice job in doing just that.

Reyn
12-03-2012, 06:48
Here his actions would not be illegal so LE couldn't do anything. If they did there would be another thread about how " I was just minding my own buisness and saw a little girl that looked like my niece. I took a pic of her and the next thing you know the cops showed up harassing me. They called me a perv. Should I sue?"

TBO
12-03-2012, 06:59
Maybe we could all meet at Starbucks for an OC event? (open camera)

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

mgs
12-03-2012, 07:03
You should have taken a picture of him! I would have ask to speak to the manager of the business also. Knowing my local LE officers, I would have texted his picture to their cell phones. They like tips. Yes I have their numbers on my cell. You did fine OP but lost a bit of control. Name calling goes no where and can get ugly. Document the guy and move on.....you are in public and assult is a charge you do not want on your record.

Psychman
12-03-2012, 07:08
Not an overreaction at all. Just wouldn't continue to engage in a very appropriate reaction since the alternative would simply be better since I had kids around. I'd choose a different action based entirely on the same reaction.

What??? lol :rofl:

Gallium
12-03-2012, 07:14

Why would you even talk about eating a hamster alive? That is just SICK. :whistling:

and yeah, I get your point.

Now try being a black dude in a lily white neighborhood, ugly as hell, and you have an insight to my world. :cool:

jay-bird
12-03-2012, 07:16
You were in a public place. You called the guy a "pedophile" in public. Prepare to get sued for slander.
And calm down, Francis.

jdavionic

Sounds great. You have any cute little girls...maybe a niece?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Patchman
Here his actions would not be illegal so LE couldn't do anything. If they did there would be another thread about how " I was just minding my own buisness and saw a little girl that looked like my niece. I took a pic of her and the next thing you know the cops showed up harassing me. They called me a perv. Should I sue?"

Yep. And then the following post would have been correct:

Notice the usual suspects all over this thread going to bat for the guy trying to sneak a pic...

:whistling:

TBO
12-03-2012, 07:24
We just need more people to openly carry their cameras, that way people would get used to it & it would no longer be a big deal.

DreamWeaver88
12-03-2012, 07:44
Definitely not condoning the guys actions, but maybe he was just snapping an innocent pic he thought was cute (little girl on a cell phone) for Instagram or something like that.

Al Czervik
12-03-2012, 07:48

I don't see anyone going to bat for Mr. Sneakypic, rather, people advocating rational thought and behavior in response to the situation.
A parent, who is not familiar with the law, could easily end up at the bad end of TBO's jack boot phone (:tongueout:) and a subsequent charge of assault/battery. While, as stated earlier, taking a picture of someone's kid without authorization is, in most rational people's estimation, unwise and/or inappropriate, setting the stage for a fight about it is no better. Once the picture has been taken, there's not much you, as a parent, can do about it if Mr. Sneakypic tells you to go pound sand, unless you are willing to see TBO's boot.

***Can we get a TBO jackbootphone smiley?

Patchman
12-03-2012, 07:52
Now try being a black dude in a lily white neighborhood, ugly as hell, and you have an insight to my world. :cool:

Well, if you made it a habit to always wear a chauffeur's uniform, with the cap and all, people wouldn't even see you. They'd just think you're some rich white dude's harmless chauffeur...

Shinytop
12-03-2012, 08:11
I am 64, have two grown children and a grandchild. I still enjoy talking to children but am more wary than in years past. I usually say a word or two to the parents firsts as I want neither the parents or children to be nervous. In most cases the children initiate the conversation. I also see nothing wrong with taking a picture of people in public. I would not proceed if asked not to or if it even seemed to bother the parents. If someone were to call me a pedophile in public based on an innocent picture they might be embarrassed in front of their family at my reaction. The accusation was way over the top.

If the OP was concerned he did the right thing is asking that the picture not be taken. Unless the gentleman persisted the incident should have ended there.

Gallium
12-03-2012, 08:39
Well, if you made it a habit to always wear a chauffeur's uniform, with the cap and all, people wouldn't even see you. They'd just think you're some rich white dude's harmless chauffeur...

Funny you should say that. I had a conversation with the neighbor on the left - told him what I did for a living. ALL HE HEARD WAS the part where I said "I am responsible for the logistics of moving a bunch of folks from city A to location B.

In his mind he inferred that to mean I was a chauffeur. How do I know this? A few months later at another neighbor's party a bunch of us were conversing, and the host says " I hear you are a driver for this famous person?".

I smiled and said "yeah - no....sometimes I have to drive, but that occurs less than 1 in 100 times. Where did you hear that?" He said the other naber had told him.

It's like when I tell people who are security/firearms oriented about my job. They cherry pick the part that says I am responsible for co-ordinating everything including meals, contracts, production, press, security, travel, hospitality, hotel accommodations....

So when then introduce me to someone else it's as the guy who does security for famous people, which really, is less than 2% of my job at times. :)

Chuck TX
12-03-2012, 08:45
Funny you should say that. I had a conversation with the neighbor on the left - told him what I did for a living. ALL HE HEARD WAS the part where I said "I am responsible for the logistics of moving a bunch of folks from city A to location B.

In his mind he inferred that to mean I was a chauffeur. How do I know this? A few months later at another neighbor's party a bunch of us were conversing, and the host says " I hear you are a driver for this famous person?".

I smiled and said "yeah - no....sometimes I have to drive, but that occurs less than 1 in 100 times. Where did you hear that?" He said the other naber had told him.

It's like when I tell people who are security/firearms oriented about my job. They cherry pick the part that says I am responsible for co-ordinating everything including meals, contracts, production, press, security, travel, hospitality, hotel accommodations....

So when then introduce me to someone else it's as the guy who does security for famous people, which really, is less than 2% of my job at times. :)

You're a chef too? Kickass! :tbo: :rofl:

Mr.Pliskin
12-03-2012, 08:47
I would have reacted about the same way. As the father of a 4 year old girl the word overprotective doesn't really cut it. If you think its just internet talk try taking a secret pic of my kid...that **** just dont fly with me.

Oh and it cant be a machismo thing....my wife does it too

Rooster Rugburn
12-03-2012, 08:49
I had a picture of my goddaughter as a wallpaper on my laptop. Her mother gave it to me, and I cared very much about that girl. I helped them through some very tough times, and her beaming smile always made me feel good about it all.

I had a coworker idiot accuse me of being a pedophile because of the picture. He said it's "not right" and tried to imply I had nefarious intentions. He almost got hurt that day. I realized, he was judging me based on his own values. I think the OP may be projecting his own values on the stranger. I don't know why you would take a picture of someone else's kid, but that doesn't mean he was going to abduct her and even use the picture for creepy reasons. Maybe he thought she was adorable.

I think there may be some projection issues involved with the OP's natural assumption that he was up to no good. Maybe the DCS needs to keep an eye on the OP and visit to check on his daughter. Does anyone know what county the OP lives in? I think the Dept of Child Services need to put him on their watch list. There is just something odd about jumping to an such an assumption with no basis in fact..

IGotIt
12-03-2012, 08:52
Who's to say that the guy didn't take a dozen photos while the OP and his family were leaving the restaurant?

Psychman
12-03-2012, 08:55
I would have reacted about the same way. As the father of a 4 year old girl the word overprotective doesn't really cut it. If you think its just internet talk try taking a secret pic of my kid...that **** just dont fly with me.

Oh and it cant be a machismo thing....my wife does it too

So you would have called him a "creep and pedophile" also?

Rooster Rugburn
12-03-2012, 08:57

Just saw this. There could be some projecting, but I suspect the OP is just being a drama queen wanting approval and praise from the board. People here get very clingy and desperate for attention and approval. It seems very odd to this crusty bastid as to why people need the praise, support, and validation of strangers. But I guess that is the new digital age in which we live.

redbaron007
12-03-2012, 08:59
Over reaction.......

Geeesh OP......if you didn't want the dude taking a picture, block the picture. Sounds like you verbally attacked the guy. He was well within his rights to take it. You are well within your rights to protect your child, too. But IMHO, you went on the offense. You assumed way tooo much.....and you know what happens when you assume! :rofl:

There is nothing wrong with requesting someone to stop taking a picture....however, if they are in a public place, you can't stop them....although, you can interrupt it.

Describing someone as a potential pedophile based upon their looks is a serious slippery slope. :faint:

:wavey:

red

Gallium
You're a chef too? Kickass! :tbo: :rofl:

As you can see from my resume, I only cook five course meals! :supergrin:

Rooster Rugburn
Now that you are all good and pizzed at my previous post. I was making a point that anyone can be accused of anything for any stupid reason. Anyone can make up reasons to impugn the reputation or actions of others.

The guy was going to take a picture of a cute little girl. There is nothing wrong with it. He wasn't trying to get her to sit in his lap, or come to his car for free candy. The OP just needs the validation from the GT peanut gallery, and wants to feel like a tough guy, good father. That in itself could tell us something.

But no, it doesn't mean the guy wanting to take the picture was a perv. It's just hyperbole by the OP in a desperate need for attention, and the peanut gallery sharing in that need.

ArrowJ
12-03-2012, 09:05

Fair enough. Let me try again. You were right to be concerned. You have a responsibility to protect your children. You were wrong to call this person a freak and a pedophile in my opinion, which is not the opinion of others so basically never mind.

tsmo1066
12-03-2012, 09:10
Now that you are all good and pizzed at my previous post. I was making a point that anyone can be accused of anything for any stupid reason. Anyone can make up reasons to impugn the reputation or actions of others.

The guy was going to take a picture of a cute little girl. There is nothing wrong with it. He wasn't trying to get her to sit in his lap, or come to his car for free candy. The OP just needs the validation from the GT peanut gallery, and wants to feel like a tough guy, good father. That in itself could tell us something.

But no, it doesn't mean the guy wanting to take the picture was a perv. It's just hyperbole by the OP in a desperate need for attention, and the peanut gallery sharing in that need.

I diasagree.

This isn't the 1980s and when someone takes a picture of your child with a phone, it could be all over the internet in seconds and being used for God-only-knows-what, by God-only-knows-who.

If I caught somebody sneaking pics of my step-daughter with a cell phone, I would (at a minimum) be in his face with my own phone, snapping a few pics of him for posterity and demanding his name and reason for his interest in my child.

Would I call him a pedophile and such, right out of the gate? No, but I'd definitely make sure that I found out exactly what the guy was up to.

In this age of Facebook, worldwide instant messaging, real-time pic sharing and global child pornography rings that make use of such tools, a parent simply can't afford to assume that everything is wonderful and harmless when a complete stranger suddenly takes such a digital interest in their child.

Bruce M
12-03-2012, 09:19

Also, congrats on 20k posts:rofl::rofl:

A lot of crazy people ... and one of them is you. Seriously? It's 2012 - everybody has a camera with them and people take pictures in public all the time. That does not necessarily mean "perve."

He wants to take a picture of my kid... Tough for him, but my kid, my rules. Rule 1 is you have no reason to take her pic in that situation. Rule 2 is if you try and I see you, you better have a good reason or you're going to be assumed to have bad intentions. Don't want to be subjected to rule 2, don't break rule 1.

.... Rule 1 and Rule 2 might be a bit easier enforced in a private setting but in public, perhaps not.

I diasagree.

This isn't the 1980s and when someone takes a picture of your child with a phone, it could be all over the internet in seconds and being used for God-only-knows-what, by God-only-knows-who.

If I caught somebody sneaking pics of my step-daughter with a cell phone, I would (at a minimum) be in his face with my own phone, snapping a few pics of him for posterity and demanding his name and reason for his interest in my child.

Would I call him a pedophile and such, right out of the gate? No, but I'd definitely make sure that I found out exactly what the guy was up to.

... What happens if he refused to give you his name and then just walks away?

DanaT
12-03-2012, 09:25

:grouphug::grouphug:

DanaT
12-03-2012, 09:26

Wow. I agree with you again....

Genin
12-03-2012, 09:28
I find it disturbing that anyone would ever question the OP on being protective of his daughter. That is too odd to even fathom. As a parent (father or mother) your role is to protect and provide for your children. It shows the sad state of the nation when people try to bash someone for protecting their child.

I work in a field where I have seen and worked with many individuals whom were perpetrated by sexual predators when they were young. There are evil people that walk amongst us every day and you need to be on your toes. I have 2 adorbable children and no one has ever tried to take a random photo of my child and I'd be dammed if some grown man was going to use a phone to take a photo of my daughter. In my experience, I'd say his intentions COULD be less-than-pure and I would NEVER risk some perv getting off on my child's picture.

OP, I would have done the same thing. I'm not into that stuff at all.

gwalchmai
12-03-2012, 09:30
OP, would you have felt differently about a grandmotherly type taking the pic?

Rooster Rugburn
What happens if he refused to give you his name and then just walks away?

In real life, nothing. On the pages of Glock Talk. "kick his ***", or pull a sidearm, place him under citizens arrest, and hold him for the popo.

The internet gives people an outlet for talking tough and being a badass without having to actually back it up.

Bruce M
It is generally not an illegal act. You can photograph people in public and you dont need their permission. Of course you can tell me where to stand for your picture either. I can ruin your attempts to photograph my child but I can not use force to do so.

I agree that taking photographs in public is generally not a crime. But were someone already a convicted sex offender it might be illegal. The question is, is would the act in this circumstance rise to the level of something that might warrant further investigation by the police.

Ahh, Sir, you have a great way of reducing a very common argument here to one simple sentence :supergrin:

DanaT
12-03-2012, 09:32

Its GT... Two the chest, one to the head.

Dennis in MA
12-03-2012, 09:33

2% of the time, "You have a particular set of skills. . . " LOL

You could star in your own version of the popular movie, only with an all non-white cast. We could call it: TOOKED! :rofl:

Wow. I agree with you again....

Me too. I don't know if I'd taken it to Defcon 5 that fast. A simple, "What are you doing?" would suffice. Perhaps it was just funny watching her play with the phone.

Rooster Rugburn
12-03-2012, 09:33
I have 2 adorbable children and no one has ever tried to take a random photo of my child

Maybe they are not so "adorbable".

Bruce M
12-03-2012, 09:34
Its GT... Two the chest, one to the head.

tsmo1066
12-03-2012, 09:36

Easy. Fight fire with fire. If he wants to play games with his camera, I'll play games with mine.

As I said in my initial post, I'd snap a few pics right back at him for posterity. If he doesn't want to tell me why he's photographing my child, I'll post my pics of him on Facebook with a caption stating "Do you know this man? He was last seen suspiciously photographing small children at XXXX restaurant."

I might also print up a few paper copies with the same caption and post them around the restaurant itself.

Two can play the camera game!

DanaT
12-03-2012, 09:40
In real life, nothing

Or maybe, in real life mouth off about gut being a pedophile. Guy starts kicking OP ***. OP pulls gun as a "defensive" measure (even though OP initiated the confrontation) and shoots, and he has tons of legal problems or gets a nice prison sentence.

tsmo1066
12-03-2012, 09:57
In real life, nothing. On the pages of Glock Talk. "kick his ***", or pull a sidearm, place him under citizens arrest, and hold him for the popo.

The internet gives people an outlet for talking tough and being a badass without having to actually back it up.

See post #146.

There are a world of choices and ways to deal with such a situation other than "shoot him" or "do nothing".

PBR Sailor
12-03-2012, 10:07
If you are in a public place, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Anyone can take pictures of anyone or anything that is in public view.

If you are concerned about a man taking pictures of your child I would
A) Get close to him and take pictures of him, especially his face.
B) Follow him, write down his registration plate number and take pictures of his car.
C) Alert other parents in the area and ask if they saw him taking pictures of their children.
D) If he has taken pictures of a lot of children and he does not appear to be a professional photographer or artist, contact the police and give them the information you have collected.

It's good to know that a parent is paying enough attention to their children that they noticed someone taking photographs of their children.

ArrowJ
12-03-2012, 10:15
It's good to know that a parent is paying enough attention to their children that they noticed someone taking photographs of their children.

Possibly the most important comment of the thread. Props to the OP for being a parent and not a person that just happens to have children.

Psychman
12-03-2012, 10:16
I find it disturbing that anyone would ever question the OP on being protective of his daughter. That is too odd to even fathom. As a parent (father or mother) your role is to protect and provide for your children. It shows the sad state of the nation when people try to bash someone for protecting their child.

I work in a field where I have seen and worked with many individuals whom were perpetrated by sexual predators when they were young. There are evil people that walk amongst us every day and you need to be on your toes. I have 2 adorbable children and no one has ever tried to take a random photo of my child and I'd be dammed if some grown man was going to use a phone to take a photo of my daughter. In my experience, I'd say his intentions COULD be less-than-pure and I would NEVER risk some perv getting off on my child's picture.

Read most of the responses to the OP. Nobody is questioning his initial response regarding a stranger taking his daughters picture. Alot of people are questioning his "over the top" followup response to this stranger.

And regarding some perv "getting off" on your child's picture......I think you are reading way too much into this thread.

inthefrey
12-03-2012, 10:28
I too have a young daughter - she's 15. I may have reacted the same way you did. However, you need to realize that, due to technology, Americans are now photographed and videotaped an average of 30 times every day - in England, it's twice that - ALL part of making us "safer". How many of those billions of pictutes or videos are in some weirdo security guard's bedroom? We'll probably never know.

If this dude who was trying to take the picture was alone, I'd probably be more concerned. But there are far more pictures being taken of us than we'll ever know about.

Patchman
12-03-2012, 10:33

What? You also run a hospital?

:)

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 10:36
Ahh, Sir, you have a great way of reducing a very common argument here to one simple sentence :supergrin:

It has to be that simple for him due to the nature of his work. Whether others choose to consideration factors when something is technically legal (e.g., legal but is it ethical, etc), that's something that many people do consider when assessing how to respond. Not saying that you unload a magazine into anyone you suspect is a "perv"...just saying that a person's response to situations often goes beyond simply answering the question of whether it's legal or not. Someone boinking your girlfriend in your bed and giving you a :wavey: when you walk in the room may result in you assessing your response beyond simply saying - 'enjoy bud, it's perfectly legal!'

TBO
12-03-2012, 10:39
Rights are like muscles, they need to be exercised to remain strong.

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 10:39
I too have a young daughter - she's 15. I may have reacted the same way you did. However, you need to realize that, due to technology, Americans are now photographed and videotaped an average of 30 times every day - in England, it's twice that - ALL part of making us "safer". How many of those billions of pictutes or videos are in some weirdo security guard's bedroom? We'll probably never know.

If this dude who was trying to take the picture was alone, I'd probably be more concerned. But there are far more pictures being taken of us than we'll ever know about.

So you equate a stranger taking photos of your child for their own personal satisfaction to be the equivalent of surveillance footage?

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 10:40

You cannot seem to let go of that whole "OC" thing :supergrin:

Rooster Rugburn
12-03-2012, 10:40

The irresputible misuse of probably cause is running rampid.

TBO
12-03-2012, 10:49
A right not exercised is a right denied.

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 10:49
The irresputible misuse of probably cause is running rampid.

Perhaps he cited some other actions in subsequent replies, but how was his response irresponsible?

And as for your other comment that people post situations for others to see and give feedback...yea, that's generally what forums are like. You have posted over 4000 times for a reason too. If you didn't want to share your opinion or assessment, then why are you a member of a forum? Being "cranky" just for the sake of getting some attention.:dunno:

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 10:51
A right not exercised is a right denied.

Hit it again, I think some may have mistaken your opinion :tongueout:

Patchman
12-03-2012, 10:53
just saying that a person's response to situations often goes beyond simply answering the question of whether it's legal or not. Someone boinking your girlfriend in your bed and giving you a :wavey: when you walk in the room may result in you assessing your response beyond simply saying - 'enjoy bud, it's perfectly legal!'

Well, assuming the gf was a willing participant... what would you really have?

A crime of passion?

Defending your honor?

At best you have a trespass because he's in your house/apartment without your permission.

Or you might have burglary if the jurisdiction has laws that say it's illegal to have sex with someone not your spouse, or they were engaged in certain types of sex.

At worst, you would have nothing, if the gf also lives there (or in the past you gave her the keys and said "mi casa es su casa (or something like that)."

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 10:56
I had a picture of my goddaughter as a wallpaper on my laptop. Her mother gave it to me, and I cared very much about that girl. I helped them through some very tough times, and her beaming smile always made me feel good about it all.

I had a coworker idiot accuse me of being a pedophile because of the picture. He said it's "not right" and tried to imply I had nefarious intentions. He almost got hurt that day. I realized, he was judging me based on his own values. I think the OP may be projecting his own values on the stranger. I don't know why you would take a picture of someone else's kid, but that doesn't mean he was going to abduct her and even use the picture for creepy reasons. Maybe he thought she was adorable.

I think there may be some projection issues involved with the OP's natural assumption that he was up to no good. Maybe the DCS needs to keep an eye on the OP and visit to check on his daughter. Does anyone know what county the OP lives in? I think the Dept of Child Services need to put him on their watch list. There is just something odd about jumping to an such an assumption with no basis in fact..

**** you.

gwalchmai
12-03-2012, 10:59
Rights are like muscles, they need to be exercised to remain strong. To which rights are you referring?

TBO
12-03-2012, 10:59
If something's legal, it doesn't matter if it makes others uncomfortable.

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 11:00
Well, assuming the gf was a willing participant... what would you really have?

A crime of passion?

Defending your honor?

At best you have a trespass because he's in your house/apartment without your permission.

Or you might have burglary if the jurisdiction has laws that say it's illegal to have sex with someone not your spouse, or they were engaged in certain types of sex.

At worst, you would have nothing, if the gf also lives there (or in the past you gave her the keys and said "my house is your house (or something like that)."

As I said before, the response is up to the individual's own assessment of what they're willing to give up for "honor", to protect their daughter from a perceived threat (which may not be accurate), etc.

I agree with someone who said that making a decision to take action may result in an encounter with the likes of TBO or others in his line of work. Where someone draws that line is up to them.

A man kills another man for raping his daughter. Were his actions illegal? Yes. Were they understandable? To me, yes. To you, I don't know.

That's all I'm saying.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 11:00

You apparently can't or didn't read or comprehend. He attempted to defend and justify his actions when I told him I didn't want him taking the pic. If the guy's intentions were noble, don't you think he would have respected a parent's opinion on the matter?

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 11:02

We have a good idea who the NAMBLA and pro-child abuse contingent on GT is after this thread, that's for sure.

Patchman
12-03-2012, 11:02
"If it's legal, it's always appropriate." A very wise young man once said that. :)

Patchman
12-03-2012, 11:07
As I said before, the response is up to the individual's own assessment of what they're willing to give up for "honor", to protect their daughter from a perceived threat (which may not be accurate), etc.

I agree with someone who said that making a decision to take action may result in an encounter with the likes of TBO or others in his line of work. Where someone draws that line is up to them.

A man kills another man for raping his daughter. Were his actions illegal? Yes. Were they understandable? To me, yes. To you, I don't know.

That's all I'm saying.

10-4. I agree with what you've said, both on the black letter law level as well as the individual's moral/ethical decision level.

boone10
12-03-2012, 11:11

I have very few ties to South Carolina, but I do know the cheer the young fella is proudly chanting.

U S C GOOOO COCKS!

BTW, I'm backing the actions of the OP--may have been overprotective, but not worth the risk and I would have done the same or worse.

Rooster Rugburn
12-03-2012, 11:15
We have a good idea who the NAMBLA and pro-child abuse contingent on GT is after this thread, that's for sure.

Ewwww....... More projection.

ray9898
12-03-2012, 11:15
I agree that taking photographs in public is generally not a crime. But were someone already a convicted sex offender it might be illegal. The question is, is would the act in this circumstance rise to the level of something that might warrant further investigation by the police.

Do you support law enforcement stopping gun owners just to check if they have a permit when lawfully carrying?

Many comments on this thread surprise me given that freedom seems to be such a frequent topic on here. It is not illegal, there is no expectation of privacy in public yet many still seem determined to bring law enforcement into the matter.

Psychman
12-03-2012, 11:16

Because some of us disagreed with your unusual response to the stranger (calling him a pedophile), which you admitted you would do differently next time, we are somehow pro-child abuse?? Wow.

Ironbar
12-03-2012, 11:18

Are you nucking futz? You actually think a grown man taking a cell phone pic of a three year old stranger is NORMAL!?:steamed:

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 11:20
Ewwww....... More projection.

More useless drivel from a well known and practiced contrarian and troll.

You may think you're being clever by insinuating that I abuse my children, but you are just showing how much of a classless, ignorant piece of garbage you really are. I might be surprised had I ever actually seen a post with your name attached that in any manner transcended the gutter in which you reside.

TL:DR
F U C K you.

Mayhem like Me
12-03-2012, 11:22

As a parent, if your wife was alone and called the cops on this guy what would you expect us to do?

A serious question for you all.

Rooster Rugburn
12-03-2012, 11:23

That's all I'm saying.

Nobody is arguing the OP or any father doesn't have the right or responsibility to protect his daughter. It's no surprise that kind of hyperbole pops up. It went from taking a picture, to child rape.

What we are arguing is his perception of what constitutes a threat. Seeing a threat where there may not be a threat.

Even further exampled by his follow up posts....... Anyone who doesn't agree with him is a member of NAMBLA and a pedophile... Interesting.

I think the OP has more repressed issues than any of us may be aware. A thief thinks everyone is a thief. Ever been to the home or property of someone you know is kleptomaniac. They watch you like a hawk, because they expect you to steal. Ever notice how the guy who cheats on his wife, always accuses her of cheating? He judges her by his own standards. Or how the guy you know who won't hesitate to lie, always assumes everyone else is lying? I know prime examples of all three of these types of people.

There may be more here than meets the eye.

wvtarheel
12-03-2012, 11:25
If something's legal, it doesn't matter if it makes others uncomfortable.

Wrong.

Legal to take pictures of toddlers in public? Yes. Irresponsible? Yes.

Legal to protest military funerals? Yes. Irresponsible? Yes.

Legal to open carry in a graveyard past the funeral of a child killed by handgun violence? Yes. Irresponsible? Yes.

The fastest way to lose your rights is to exercise them in an irresponsible way.

This is why I support open carry, but believe it should be done intelligently by people who realize it may not be appropriate in every possible scenario. There are times when concealed carry makes more sense.

Just like there are times when you shouldn't take a photo with your phone, even if you have a "right" to

Bruce M
12-03-2012, 11:26
Do you support law enforcement stopping gun owners just to check if they have a permit when lawfully carrying?

Many comments on this thread surprise me given that freedom seems to be such a frequent topic on here. It is not illegal, there is no expectation of privacy in public yet many still seem determined to bring law enforcement into the matter.

Well what if there is a complaint that the person is carrying a gun? Tucked in his waistband. Going into the convenience store at 130 am? If he has a permit that may be totally legal - but the question is, is it suspicious enough to warrant further investigation by the police?

And again, in this case, is the belief by the OP that the guy is/may be a pedophile coupled with his taking photos of a child sufficient enough to raise some suspicion such that the police should/ought to/may investigate further?

Does it change if the guy was observed taking photos of young children at a playground from a distance with a telephoto lens?

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 11:26
Because some of us disagreed with your unusual response to the stranger (calling him a pedophile), which you admitted you would do differently next time, we are somehow pro-child abuse?? Wow.

No.

You addressed my stated response, which only escalated once he began trying to defend his actions with no other justification than "she is cute". He did not say she looked like someone he knew. He did not say anything about a similar outfit. He did not say anything about being into topical photography. He made no justifications along the lines of those people here have attributed to his actions without knowledge of his intentions. He simply stated that he thought she is cute and continued to proceed up to the point that I became more aggressive in my insistence. Only then did he back down, thus my escalation is not explicitly wrong, but is certainly up for discussion, which is what you were doing.

I am referring to the others who are supporting a grown man's right to take a pic of a stranger's kid on a cell phone and attributing it to a host of other possible justifications without even seeming to be able to consider that in the situation, my gut instinct and analysis of the sum of the circumstances could be on the right track for him having bad intentions. Coupled with that, you have people insinuating that I am projecting my own tendencies, which is insane and disgusting.

You are not who I am referring to. There are several others here, though, that seem to think there is nothing even strange (leave wrong out of it) about the man's actions and defense of them. You acknowledge that his behavior was not normal and was worthy of at least some intervention on my part aside from asking her to pose for the SOB.

BigDeeeeeeee
12-03-2012, 11:27
and called him a sick freak and a pedophile.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/slander

Hope he didn't have his camera on video mode.

smokeross
When leaving a local restaurant this Saturday with my date and grand daughter, as we approached the exit I see this rotund fellow kick his friend under the table and give the head jerk towards my grand daughter. Rotundness number two turns around in his chair and they both drool as they watch her all the way to the door. CREEPS. She is wearing jeans and her basketball practice jersey which is over a long sleeve shirt. I held the door for my two ladies and kept a watchful eye on the weirdos. After the ladies exited, I stayed at the door long enough for the two fatties (they looked like round brothers) to notice I was watching them. I didn't say anything to them verbally, but I am certain they got a message from me. They were strange dudes.

DanaT

I am sure you know my answer.

But really, there is not an expectation of privacy in public. The person was well within the law to be taking pictures of public events.

I often clash with some on here about freedoms. But I am consistent. Just because you offend me does not mean that what you are doing is illegal.

I think many people in GT want "freedom" for what they do, but if someone else does something legal, but that they dont like or that offends them, they sure dont support it and think they should be thrown in jail.

Protecting the legal actions that you disagree with, until the law is changed, is one of the essential requirements of freedom. I do not agree with what the KKK, OWS, New Balck Panthers, etc say, but protecting their rights to say things like this is essential.

DanaT
12-03-2012, 11:30
Coupled with that, you have people insinuating that I am projecting my own tendencies, which is insane and disgusting.

How is this anymore sick and disgusting than what you called him in public?

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 11:31
Nobody is arguing the OP or any father doesn't have the right or responsibility to protect his daughter. It's no surprise that kind of hyperbole pops up. It went from taking a picture, to child rape.

What we are arguing is his perception of what constitutes a threat. Seeing a threat where there may not be a threat.

Even further exampled by his follow up posts....... Anyone who doesn't agree with him is a member of NAMBLA and a pedophile... Interesting.

I think the OP has more repressed issues than any of us may be aware. A thief thinks everyone is a thief. Ever been to the home or property of someone you know is kleptomaniac. They watch you like a hawk, because they expect you to steal. Ever notice how the guy who cheats on his wife, always accuses her of cheating? He judges her by his own standards. Or how the guy you know who won't hesitate to lie, always assumes everyone else is lying? I know prime examples of all three of these types of people.

Now you're digging in because you've found what you think is a weakness since I've responded appropriately to your previous trolling attempts. I recognize what you're doing. Is it being able to bother people or being able to shock people that gets you off? I only ask because I'd prefer to refrain from giving you the satisfaction in the future.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 11:33
When leaving a local restaurant this Saturday with my date and grand daughter, as we approached the exit I see this rotund fellow kick his friend under the table and give the head jerk towards my grand daughter. Rotundness number two turns around in his chair and they both drool as they watch her all the way to the door. CREEPS. She is wearing jeans and her basketball practice jersey which is over a long sleeve shirt. I held the door for my two ladies and kept a watchful eye on the weirdos. After the ladies exited, I stayed at the door long enough for the two fatties (they looked like round brothers) to notice I was watching them. I didn't say anything to them verbally, but I am certain they got a message from me. They were strange dudes.

Get ready for the GNG lowlife crowd to call you a macho-toughguy-rambo-thug for eyeballing two weirdos...

They'll find nothing wrong with the weirdos' oogling a child, though.

Mr Spock
12-03-2012, 11:34
How is this anymore sick and disgusting than what you called him in public?

How in the world are the situations even remotely similar?

ArrowJ
12-03-2012, 11:35
i often clash with some on here about freedoms. But i am consistent. Just because you offend me does not mean that what you are doing is illegal.

I think many people in gt want "freedom" for what they do, but if someone else does something legal, but that they dont like or that offends them, they sure dont support it and think they should be thrown in jail.

+1 ^^^

Armchair Commando
12-03-2012, 11:35
If you are in a public place, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Anyone can take pictures of anyone or anything that is in public view.

. Umm wrong and you do have certain expectations of privacy, If what you said were true then it would be totally legal and ethical to slide your cellphone under a womans short skirt to take a pic of her coochie! Sorry dude your wrong!

gwalchmai
12-03-2012, 11:39
Umm wrong and you do have certain expectations of privacy, If what you said were true then it would be totally legal and ethical to slide your cellphone under a womans short skirt to take a pic of her coochie! Sorry dude your wrong!What you describe fails the "reasonable" part.

jdavionic
12-03-2012, 11:42

You're exaggerating. I did not, nor do I think anyone else has, cited the actions of the picture taker to be equivalent of child rape. I mentioned it as an example for making my point to another gent...who understood the point and concurred.

I think you're intentionally trying to paint him a certain way here. Perhaps it's due to your own sensitivity and experience where you were accused of being a pedophile. Understand you'd be hypersensitive about this topic. However without actually being there, I find it hard to fault the OP for his response. Of course YMMV.

Patchman
12-03-2012, 11:45
Are you nucking futz? You actually think a grown man taking a cell phone pic of a three year old stranger is NORMAL!?:steamed:

As in a previous thread, a mother teaching her 3 year old to go ahead and urinate on the front lawn (when the house with a working bathroom is a few feet away)... is NOT normal.

DanaT
12-03-2012, 11:45
How in the world are the situations even remotely similar?

Umm..you called someone a pedophile based upon your perception of a situation and someone called you a pedophile based upon their perception of a situation. Neither you nor the poster that said you are projecting your actions onto someone else had any proof.

I am sorry that you cannot see how the two are similar.