Do you blog or have your own web site? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you blog or have your own web site?

Kevin108
12-02-2012, 22:45
I enjoy the process of writing but I feel like I'm getting worse at it, largely because of time constraints. I know it's easy to save what you have and resume later but my train of thought doesn't work the same way.

Mine is http://kevin108.com

XavierThoughts has one I read from time to time. http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/

If you have a site of your own...

What do you like to write about?

What keeps you motivated to add content?

And please share a link!

Edited to add: if you don't have your own site, please share a link for those you enjoy reading.

JimBianchi
12-03-2012, 00:48
I have my own sites (www.thephotoop.com and www.jimbianchi.com) One was strictly photography and had a blog content years ago focusing on helping newbies out. The other was politics and 2ndA and was started when I worked heavily for a few campaigns back in 2004, with the intent of maybe running for office some day.

But time and motivations change. I am now focused on family and my health more than any other time in my life, work is a distant second. I dropped the blogs and commentary around 2008 and put my 2 cents in around the web for 2010 and 2012, for all the good it did me!

The jimbianchi.com site is now redirected towards the other, I have dozens domains that are all pointed towards thephotoop.com now, mostly generating just enough traffic to keep my phone ringing to turn a profit.

I still write on other sites (commentary and reviews mostly) to keep my toe in the water, but a dedicated blog on any subject can get overwhelming, unless you have a lot of free time or can make it pay somehow.

Gallium
12-03-2012, 01:42
I have a place where I publish my thoughts. I've often entertained writing to that place 1st, then linking (here, for example) so I retain ownership of my speech.

But it's too much ****ing work, and given that I am such a prolific and profound speaker, I think the world really needs to hear what I have to say unfettered, without threat of copyright infringement etc :whistling:

dotsun
12-03-2012, 05:17
I have a blog that's related to my website. I don't post on it nearly enough, but then it's there to supplement my site not to be the main attraction.

Cool new trails or interesting local offroad events motivate me to add new content.

AlexHassin
12-03-2012, 05:37
http://dpvp.wordpress.com/ i actually write down my dreams and post them to a blog. so when i write something depends on when i remember my dreams.

however the majority of my writing time now goes into finishing and editing the novel i plan to try to get published in the spring.

INJoker
12-03-2012, 06:07
I own several variations of my name in the form of domain names and I have the blog domains for each as well.

I've never done anything with them because I'm too busy working.

That said, I've slowly started getting some content around.

Batesmotel
12-03-2012, 07:23
I have a website that is very out of date for my photos. Most things have been removed. I can't even remember my hair that long. I just haven't bothered to build a new one. www.Raucousimages.com

I have a blog out there somewhere. I don't even know where to find it. I did it when I was a high school teacher almost as a joke. It deals with why evidence of aliens from outer space has been increasing since the 1940s. I came up with a silly hypothesis that some people started taking WAY too serious.

Happypuppy
12-03-2012, 08:30
Just my photo site on SmugMug. I do write for some blogs on occasion that I don't host

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mrs.Cicero
12-03-2012, 08:30
I have a blog, but it isn't for practicing my writing. It's just for keeping track of what we're doing here with the property we moved to. Friends and family read it just for the silly children and chicken stories. I do a good job posting starting in January through about June or July, and then things get busy and I post less and less til December. This happens every year and drives me nuts. I managed to post today, so at least I won't miss this entire month...

http://rollforasanitycheck.blogspot.com

jtull7
12-03-2012, 10:34
www.johnandlucinda.com

Glock20 10mm
12-03-2012, 10:38
http://mcdianpower.blogspot.com/2011/08/in-beginning-we-had-idea.html

I have a blog, but I have been rather remiss in keeping it up to date. The intent of my blog was to help folks with off-grid power systems.

Glock20 10mm
12-03-2012, 10:42
You're a Linux user too eh!? Nice! Been using it since 1999 myself.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-03-2012, 20:12
I have a place where I publish my thoughts.
It is called Glock Talk :)

Kevin108
12-04-2012, 19:48
You're a Linux user too eh!? Nice! Been using it since 1999 myself.

Started playing with it 99 as well. Last year it was pretty much all I used. I'm very comfortable with it but my wife has some software she needs that our Pentium 4 can't push comfortably in WINE so now we dual-boot with XP.

I'm building a new system next year. Probably doing a Hackintosh so I can run whatever OS seems most productive.

Annhl8rX
12-04-2012, 20:17
I was writing for a Texas Rangers (baseball) blog until recently. It's a site with several different writers. I stepped away from it because it became more of a demand than an enjoyment (not due to anyone else, just my loss of ability to come up with things to write about).

Dragline
12-05-2012, 09:12
I have a wildlife photography blog on Word Press which I update daily. (Well, except for yesterday and today so far because my desktop crashed Monday night.)
I post current wildlife photos and write brief stories about what you are seeing.

http://phillanoue.com

The blog has actually become quite active, I average
400-500 views a day. I have had views from over 90 different countries and am over 81,000 total views since starting it back in June.

Glock45Lover
12-05-2012, 12:04
www.johnandlucinda.com

Interesting website & story. I tip my hat to you for surviving and beating the odds.