A question about tipping [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A question about tipping

Drain You
12-03-2012, 08:47
:rofl:

No, not one of those threads.

Whenever you do a transaction where your debit/credit card is ran and then you are presented with a receipt to sign and can add more for gratuity, it seems like the process is a backwards.

Why not give me my check, allow me to write the tip amount, and then run the card? It is just a little aggravating when you monitor your accounts online closely... you see a $37.83 charge but mentally you have to add $8 to it until the business pushes the new amount that clears out the $37.83

One place I use to go to would always have both amounts on my account by time I got home and took a day or two to drop the lower charge. That was the worst.

ditto1958
12-03-2012, 09:07
Or you could carry a little cash around with you to use for tipping.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 09:41
Won't be long before they bring you the machine, you type in the total amount you want charged and your PIN.

After working in the mobile payments space and learning about fraud I have one credit card I only use in restaurants. The idea that we let a waiter or waitress take our cards out of our sight is pretty stupid when you think about it.

janice6
12-03-2012, 09:58
Won't be long before they bring you the machine, you type in the total amount you want charged and your PIN.

After working in the mobile payments space and learning about fraud I have one credit card I only use in restaurants. The idea that we let a waiter or waitress take our cards out of our sight is pretty stupid when you think about it.

Absolutely agree. Usually tip with cash (credit card is for Internet purchasing) Do not like seeing the CC leave my vision.

cmb19
12-03-2012, 10:03
I have a machine that does exactly this at my job.

It's the way the bank has it set up.

I scan the card, it prints the receipt (one copy for me, one for the customer)...my copy must be signed and the tip can be added. A lot of people would rather leave cash. If someone adds a tip to the card, I have to go back to the machine and adjust the total.

Bruce M
12-03-2012, 10:23
No specific offense to anyone in the restaurant/bar industry, but I would rather use a credit card at a brothel and for a corner drug deal than to use it in a restaurant or bar. Maybe it's just me but it seems like an abnormally high number of credit card frauds seem to be traced back to the use of a card at a restaurant or bar. But maybe that's just me.

FullClip
12-03-2012, 10:43
I usually will leave the tip in cash as I figure the waitress or waiter can use that easier than having to wait for somebody to give them the tips due from credit cards. Actually, I usually pay cash for the whole bill unless it's a big dinner party. No worry about fraud.

Kloogee
12-03-2012, 10:43
In my limited European travels (UK and Germany) the last few years, all restaurants bring a handheld card reader to your table and swipe it right in front of you. Not sure why the same behavior hasn't migrated over here yet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

cmb19
12-03-2012, 11:03
I usually will leave the tip in cash as I figure the waitress or waiter can use that easier than having to wait for somebody to give them the tips due from credit cards. Actually, I usually pay cash for the whole bill unless it's a big dinner party. No worry about fraud.

I guess I didn't mention in my other post, but since I go back in and adjust the total to add the tip, it allows me to take the cash from the register every day instead of waiting for the bank.

The restaurant owners chose this option to make it easier for the waitresses.
Some of the other types of card readers cost the restaurant a ton of money, which is probably why no one uses the ones that can be taken to the tables.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 11:34
In my limited European travels (UK and Germany) the last few years, all restaurants bring a handheld card reader to your table and swipe it right in front of you. Not sure why the same behavior hasn't migrated over here yet.

Cost and installed base.

A smart chip credit card costs almost $15 to make and distribute, while a traditional credit card costs only $3-4. In Europe, people expect to pay the $15 when they lose or damage their credit card (replacement card fee) but that wouldn't fly over here.

Also, it requires upgrades of all merchant terminal and POS systems, which is something that small merchants always put off as long as possible.

It's coming, though. We'll see it start rolling out in the US by 2015, I'd bet.

kensb2
12-03-2012, 11:44
Why not use the types that can be stuck in to a smartphone? The device itself is free, and the per sale fee is pretty low. Much cheaper than using all the POS stuff, no need to upgrade, etc. I'd be willing to bet that 10-15 low end Android phones would be cheaper than keeping up the POS equipment. I've actually thought about getting one, since I sell firewood and pecans on the side.

Bushflyr
12-03-2012, 12:01

I've said the same and will continue to harp on it. I can't believe people are dumb enough to still use their DEBIT cards at restaurants.

I'm strictly cash at restaurants and the debit card is ONLY for the ATM. And trusted/bank ATM's at that. Anything else and you're asking for a $0.01 bank balance.

Even with my paranoia my CC gets compromised every couple years on average.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 12:05
Why not use the types that can be stuck in to a smartphone? The device itself is free
If you really believe that, I have a nice bridge I'd love to sell you.

Nothing is free. You may not pay for it up front, but you pay for it somehow.

and the per sale fee is pretty low. Much cheaper than using all the POS stuff

Not really, not if you have an integrated POS system. Sure, if you're just using it as a terminal for a single purchse Square is fine, but if you're a medium sized retailer with a few locations and you want to be able to track refunds and inventory and do analytics on your sales data, how is that going to help you?

Booker
12-03-2012, 13:01
My understanding is that the Square readers do not encrypt the data being sent. This opens both the merchant and customer to many potential problems. As a merchant, just pay for one foresenic analysis on a fraud complaint and you'll never use Square again!

PaulMason
12-03-2012, 16:33
Cost and installed base.

A smart chip credit card costs almost $15 to make and distribute, while a traditional credit card costs only $3-4. In Europe, people expect to pay the $15 when they lose or damage their credit card (replacement card fee) but that wouldn't fly over here.

Also, it requires upgrades of all merchant terminal and POS systems, which is something that small merchants always put off as long as possible.

They also pay annual cc fee and they have a lot of banking fees.

Halojumper
12-03-2012, 16:36
No specific offense to anyone in the restaurant/bar industry, but I would rather use a credit card at a brothel.

I guess that brings a whole new meaning to "
Don't leave home without it"

ChuteTheMall
12-03-2012, 16:39
If they carry your card away and then bring it back, they got their tip when they sold your info.

:okie:

ND40oz
12-03-2012, 16:42
Cost and installed base.

You don't have to use Chip and PIN with most of the handheld devices, they can still do swipe and sign. They don't like it since they have to go find a pen for you to use, but it works just the same.

kiole
12-03-2012, 16:56
My understanding is that the Square readers do not encrypt the data being sent. This opens both the merchant and customer to many potential problems. As a merchant, just pay for one foresenic analysis on a fraud complaint and you'll never use Square again!

My understanding was it simply displayed the data unencrypted on the screen and then was deleted after the transaction was completed. The actually data transfer was encrypted but it didn't mask the numbers on the display of the machine. Basically it was much to do about nothing...

I will say I'm surprised square hasn't expanded its services for medium and large businesses. They could make a killing with their zero upfront fixed fee system. It was the cheapest way for our landscape company to offer credit card payments. No one has used it in 2 years after they all requested the ability to pay by credit though.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 17:06
You don't have to use Chip and PIN with most of the handheld devices, they can still do swipe and sign. They don't like it since they have to go find a pen for you to use, but it works just the same.

Swipe and sign transactions are typically charged a different (higher) interchange rate than chip-and-PIN.

And in any case, if the merchant doesn't have the capability to support EMV in the first place, they have to update their terminal and POS stuff. That's the expense I was talking about.

IndyGunFreak
12-03-2012, 17:07
Or you could carry a little cash around with you to use for tipping.

I don't eat at restaurants to often, but when I do, I always make sure I have cash for the tip... then I just write "Zero" on the receipt.

IGF

RonS
12-03-2012, 17:37
I may pay with a credit card but I try to tip with cash.

rball
12-03-2012, 19:17
With regards to taxes/FICA, etc., I know all tips are supposed to be reported, but I find it hard to believe that every waiter/waitress/bartender, etc. does this (fully reports). So, would using a credit card/debit card to pay for a tip make it that much easier for the waiter/waitress, etc., to track (tip)? Also, if the merchant fee on a credit card transaction is 4%, then should I figure out the merchant fee ratio to the tip ratio (e.g., instead of a 15% tip maybe it should be 16.25%)?

G17Jake
12-03-2012, 19:53

That is something I never do.