Weird jobs you've had [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weird jobs you've had

Dubble-Tapper
12-03-2012, 12:05
I was just looking at some old resumes i had saved. i realized ive had some random jobs that didnt relate to my chosen field. not necessarily weird jobs, but just so different from what i am doing now.

i was (and kinda still am when i have time) a horseback trail guide/handler for 5 years. Some of the best times ive ever had, as well as some of the most dangerous situations ive ever encountered.

i was a caregiver for mentally disabled adults. Although rewarding at times, this was the worst job ive ever had

I even worked for GreenPeace for two weeks in Portland before i realized what was really up.

i am now into manufacturing/machining/engineering, but it is interesting to think how I have used skills from all of these jobs to get to where i am today.

C'mon guys and gals, I guarantee people here have done very interesting things. Lets hear about some strange jobs youve had in the past.

badge315
12-03-2012, 12:14
This was only a short-term gig, but when I was teenager my father had a friend with a wholesale medical supply company. He had hundreds of cases of suppositories where each individual box within the case had been erroneously stamped with some sort of numerical code, and my job was to remove those numbers from each box with an electric eraser.

I had another temp job as a teenager blowing up thousands of balloons to be dropped from the ceiling during a huge New Years Eve banquet at the Diplomat Hotel in south Florida.

cgwahl
12-03-2012, 12:15
I had a job working for a GPS company. Basically they would send me out to areas that they weren't sure of or wanted to make better in the software on directions and whatnot.

So I (and a partner) would go with maps of the area (more or less) and mark certain roads as one way or can't make a right at certain times, etc.

Group that took over after me would mark entrances to various places...mostly Toyota dealerships since the GPS's were mostly put in Toyota vehicles.

Kind of a like a GPS version of the "Can you hear me now" guy. Was fun. Paid decent enough with a cash per diem. Got a lot of overtime since it was basically 60 to 70 hours a week. Got to go to Canada (Montreal and Ottawa) for 3 weeks. Unfortunately I was only able to do it for 2 or 3 months before they decided to finish up for the year.

tsmo1066
12-03-2012, 12:21
Back in high school I worked for a year cleaning out the blood-traps, the freezer and all of the butchering machinery in a local meat market.

Never again...not for any amount of money on earth!

Wil Ufgood
12-03-2012, 12:25
Copper penny bleacher. When I worked in the adult entertainment industry I would bleach the exit hole on some of the actresses. Makes for better close-ups.

Dubble-Tapper
12-03-2012, 12:27
Copper penny bleacher. When I worked in the adult entertainment industry I would bleach the exit hole on some of the actresses. Makes for better close-ups.

dont lie, you were a fluffer :supergrin:

Wil Ufgood
12-03-2012, 12:42
dont lie, you were a fluffer :supergrin:

:whistling:

Bruce M
12-03-2012, 13:14
Well I certainly can't beat that. Best I can do is working on a cranberry bog. Partof it was weeding. One of the prevalent weeds on the bog was poison ivy.

willie_pete
12-03-2012, 13:23
I used to drive a pickup truck at night that had a big screen net ( 4' x 6' ) mounted on the top that was used to catch mosquitoes; I then had to count them.

WP

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 13:31
My first job was selling band instruments in a music store.

Happypuppy
12-03-2012, 13:52
1. I sold knives door to door
2. Marked fire lines for an insurance company and sprayed the lines on with spray paint.
3. I sold whistles to stores for retail sales

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 13:55
1. I sold knives door to door

Cutco?

M&P15T
12-03-2012, 14:04
I worked at the Double Eagle Steel Plant in Dearborn, Michigan. This plant made some of the first anti-corrosion coated steel used in manufacturing auto uni-body structures. On a specific time basis, I had to leave the lab, go out into the plant and get 2" diameter round stamped samples from the roll currently being plated, and run tests to see how the metal was taking the plating, in what thicknesses and such. We also collected samples of all the plating and pre-plating chemicals in the vats, and tested them.

The chemicals in the vats that the rolls of steel were horric. If you fell into the huge "pre-plater" solution vat (about the size of 1/2 of an Olympic sized pool), you were dead. No bones would be found. One time I accidently spilled some onto my sock around my ankle. It disolved the majority of the sock, and left this nylon type webbing adhered to my skin, sort of burned in.

I had NO IDEA what I was doing. A friend was an engineering student, and he got me the job, and showed me how to do the necessary tasks. If anyone's early to mid 1990's Ford vehicle rusted prematurely, it was probably my fault.

DanaT
12-03-2012, 14:09
I am boring.

I was a lifeguard.

Dalton Wayne
12-03-2012, 14:12
Body guard for strippers at private party's, the pay wasn't much but the fringe benefits would blow your hair back if you know what I mean :whistling:
film at 11:00 NOT!

Rogue
12-03-2012, 14:27
Where to start. . .

I was a carnie once, I'll admit it. Briefly. This unfortunate turn of events was due to the fact that I needed money prior to taking off for college, and I had just recently been fired from my prior job for 'horse play', whatever that is :).

So, at my Dad's insistence, I read through the paper to find myself a job for the last few weeks of summer before school started. I think the ad went something like this:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$
$ RIDE OPERATORS WANTED, NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY !!
$
$ Must speak and understand English, must be able to lift 50 lbs.
$
$ Get started TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
$
$ Show up on Friday at the field on 5th and Vine before 9am.
$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And as you might have guessed from their rather stringent set of requirements, this turned out to be quite a fascinating and dynamic organization to become a part of. I showed up at 8:30 am on Friday, and stood next to a couple of other sorry-looking individuals and surveyed the once-vacant lot - which now seemed to be taken over by trailers, tents, and other assorted vehicles and contraptions that, when all taken in during the early morning fog, made this seem more like the set of a Stephen King movie rather than a place to bring the family. It was a chilly morning, but I waited. At about 9:20 a girl(?) came walking up to us and simply said (gruffly) 'CommON', and led us all into the maze of trailers that we had been staring at. The trail of smoke left by her cigar made it easy to follow her into the mist, and she sat us all down under a tent and went on.

Carnie Girl (handing us paper): 'Fill these out.'
Us (fumbling around for pens or whatever): ...
Carnie Girl: 'Oh Jesus Chr***, CommON!'
From behind the trailer: 'Bev, where's my shorts!?'
Carnie Girl: 'I TOLL you I don't know, get-the-hell-outta my trailer!!'
Us (scribbling now): ...?
Bev (I guess): 'Don't you mind that now, y'all can fill those out later, CommON!'
Bev (mumbling): 'Some***** better notta got me pregnant.'
One of us (not me): 'Is there going to be an interview, or.. ?'
Bev (walking off): 'CommON I SAID!'

And Bev walked us around to the various contraptions that were being set up in the field, and started pointing her cigar at them and calling out names (sort of). 'Blondie' she said, gesturing towards the Haunted House 'You're over there.' 'Freckles, on the canoe ride'. 'Sweet cheeks' she said, looking at me, 'You're on the teacups'. 'But I...' I started, 'CommON and git!' she said, and I scurried over to the ride and tried to figure out where to stand so that I at least looked like I knew what I was doing. . .

(continued)
http://hammyvision.blogspot.com/2008/05/away-with-circus.html

janice6
12-03-2012, 14:30
I don't think I every had an Odd job. But, I had a number of really fun jobs in Medical and Military physics Research.

I worked on a Federal Public Heath Research project in the 1960's. We built and delivered the first Ultrasonic Cancer detection system. We delivered it to Bethesda Hospital, MA.

I was an original employee of Medtronics when they first started out of a house and garage in North Minneapolis, MN.

I Worked for a Medical Research company (Whitehall Electronics) in the 60's. We built one of the first electronic Patient Monitoring systems. Testing was at the VA in Minneapolis, MN

I worked on a Navy Research project where we built and delivered a 5 axis gradient Super Conducting submarine sensors based on Josephson Junction Quantum Interference Devices. Locating was done by evaluating the perturbations in Earth's Magnetic field and determining a Poynting vector. Sytem used sub-quantum level flux sensing.

Designed and built tactical Aircraft +Gigahertz Laser based FO network systems. Assisted on developing a working Terabyte Optical computer for the Navy. (Optical interconnected backplane)

Designed and built the deposition control system for manufacturing Military Magnetic Thin Film Memories. (Rad hard stuff)

Helped write SAE Mil-Standards.

God I had fun.

countrygun
12-03-2012, 14:30
OK, here I go,

Cleaned out the "sump" underneath a grainery/silo on the Willamette river at river level, in the summer on graveyard (think "Stephen King's"Graveyard shift": Rats and roaches)

Painted the edgecap on several 4 story + buildings (I have acraphobia. I pooped BB's for weeks)

Bodyguard/consierge high spending customers at a series of Gentleman's clubs.

Sorted "NOS" auto parts from a huge buy-out of an OLD warehouse and identified "rare parts" with collectors value. (Think tailights for '59 "T Birds" and model "A" parts)

Took over a "hog farm" that had "gone feral" dead hogs, wild hogs, rotten feed everywhere. Approximately 120 hogs running wild. turned it into a profitable, efficient, clean operation in one winter/summer.

Wrote for local paper, State-wide paper, and national magazines on history,

Curator of an Historical Museum. Did demonstrations of "pioneer/primative/old skills": flintknapping, blacksmithing, carpentry,gold panning.

I was once suprised by a national TV news program calling to interview one of my employees. It turned out he had been involved ina major news event years before and I had no idea.

airmotive
12-03-2012, 14:55
First job: Airplane washer..."washboy". Only kid in 10th grade making more than minimum wage. ($5/hr back when min was $2.85. Rollin' in the dough.)

Freefall photographer/videographer for ten years: (Mostly shooting skydiving students, but also a couple commercials, a couple of equipment test jumps and a promo video for West Point cadet's skydiving team). 2000 jumps and two broken backs later, I retired at the ripe old age of 34.

Almost a reality TV contestant. (not really 'contestant'...but 'participant': There are no winners of 'Out of the Wild'). I got paid for my time, so I'll call it a job.

Current, favorite, strangest and hopefully last job: Tin kicker.

Mrs. VR
12-03-2012, 15:03
I have never worked in the field I have a degree in (speech-language pathology and audiology), and I've had some seriously random jobs starting when i was 14:

scooped ice cream at baskin robbins
worked for two different pharmacies at counter and making home deliveries
worked at 2 different lamp stores (one at home one at college, I KNOW My lamps)

my most interesting one was working with a bunch of ex-spook types at a security management place. We did aviation security, executive protection, audio counter measures (sweeping for bugs), security guards, etc etc. I started as the receptionist and was promoted into marketing. I got to travel all over the country, stay at very nice hotels, eat in very nice restaurants with my own company Amex card. It had it's con's too, but it was fun, and I got to sit through an audio counter measure course, and climb up in the ceiling to look for bugs. :supergrin:

then I was a FT mom for 17 years.

now i walk rich peoples dogs and look after you lot. :tease:

Happypuppy
12-03-2012, 15:06
Cutco?

Yes Cutco Cutlery made by Alcoa. A interesting job to say they least...

Batesmotel
12-03-2012, 15:15
Break jobs, Tires, Mufflers. No big deal but I was about 8 years old. Family gas station. OSHA and labor laws didn't apply in my family. I even filled our tanker at the refinery. I would ride the boom from the catwalk to the truck. I can't imagine how many laws we were violating even back then.

Spent one winter making and delivering ice. Dead of winter in Utah and I would go outside to warm up.

Developed negatives and printed photos for the US Army and some local cops. Things they wanted done outside of the normal system. Usually internal investigation stuff. Got to clear at least two guys of false charges.

Private investigator. Mostly industrial accidents and the like.

Most other things were pretty normal.

Mrs. VR
12-03-2012, 15:17
Yes Cutco Cutlery made by Alcoa. A interesting job to say they least...

my great aunt is a HUGE Cutco fan. I'm still using the stuff she gave me when we got married almost 19 years ago. I know it's got a weird reputation, but the stuff lasts.

HollowHead
12-03-2012, 15:25
One of the jobs I had in HS was to wear a mattress suit and get attacked by dogs. HH

nursetim
12-03-2012, 16:05
Running a search light for a grand opening.

JMarch
12-03-2012, 16:28
I worked in biowaste treatment and disposal for one summer. We would get about 7 tons of waste every day, and had to unload it by dolly from the semi trailer, dump it into 1/4 ton bins, pick up the bins with a hi-lo and put them in a giant autoclave. Other businesses in that industrial park complained about the smell, so our boss shut off the fans. It was about 115 inside the plant, with near 100% humidity from the superheated steam.

Once, we got a whole shipment from the Flint PD Homicide division....there were all these clear tubes with evidence numbers and such on them. Each one had a sharp pointy object of some kind inside. There was also a giant maglite with a suspicious looking dent in the rim. My coworker took that home.

Another time, we were unloading the trailer, and the dimwit who loaded it put all the sharps container in the nose of the trailer and stacked them up to the very top. idiot.
We pulled the last row of other containers out and ran like the devil was chasing us when tens of thousands of needles came raining down at us.

Couple times we got human body parts. Those were supposed to go to an incinerator, but we didn't notice until they came out of the autoclave. oops.

I also was employed by a funeral home for a couple years doing part time work. That was an interesting job too...

jtmac
12-03-2012, 16:35
Server picker-upper

I was recruited by a technical contracting group based on my experience with blade servers (which is silly, as blade servers really aren't complex to work with compared to any other server, but I know how HR can be). As it turns out, they didn't want my technical expertise, just the ability to say I had the expertise. I was working for a shipping company that was subcontracted by IBM who was contracted by Walmart. After an overly-long orientation, I was given a binder of paperwork, a digital camera, a GPS unit, and the keys to a Suburban.

My job was to drive to Walmarts all over the country and put a server into a box. I would show up, wait for a manager to let me into the one room in the back that's locked (actually, if you have a polo and any random name badge, you can waltz around any place that's unlocked if it's a Super Walmart--regular Walmarts are pickier)... then I'd take a photo, make a phone call, and put the server in the box that was already in the room. I would scrounge for packing materials, and then it would get dropped off at the shipping counter and I'd get back on the road. I slept in the back of the Suburban to pocket my per diem, but there wasn't time for hotels anyway.

There was simply no point to the job I was doing except for the maze of bureaucratic sub-contracting agreements. A phone call or two between the right managers could have meant the stores could do this completely non-technical job themselves whenever an assistant manager had a spare minute. Instead, they spent God knows how much to hire technical people to drive cross-country and play mailroom boy.

Freelance Science Guy

I knew some guys who were trying to start a business doing (something). One had some experience doing some garage fabrication and running a business. The other was a decent salesman. Really great guys, and fairly talented at making things happen. What they were trying to do wasn't actually unreasonable to embark on, but it's typically thought of as quackery. They needed a chemist, an electrical engineer, and an auto mechanic. They didn't have any of those or the money to get them... but they knew me, and I happened to be incredibly broke.

My job was to use my skills and ability to research to guide them in the right direction, and then try to fill in the gaps in their plans. I told them ahead of time that regardless of my ability or inability I doubted the possibility of success, but they wanted me to just give it a shot. Every so often I'd visit the garage, we would tinker and I would get to say "that won't work because [science]", and I'd get a meal and some compensation for my time. During the days when I was in between failing to find work and failing to get paid for contracting, I would research at my own desk and maybe blow up a few transistors right in front of my face. We ran into a lot of walls, but I learned a lot in the process. Most things I could figure out on my own, but at one point when I thought that it might be actually be close except for what I was stumped over, I turned to GT for a question and came away with more evidence that we were in over our heads.

Eventually we officially hung up our hats on my advisement that it just wasn't something we could pull off. But they were fantastic people and I got paid to be Doc Brown.

GlocknSpiehl
12-03-2012, 17:07
Hmmm, I had ordinary sounding jobs, that occasionally were bizare...

I used to do technical theatre many years ago and got hired to do tech and sound for a small theatrical group in a major city. Sounds normal, yes? Well, they were the lesbian theatrical company and I would be introduced nightly as their "token male". LOL

Also, when I 1st lived in the DC area, I worked for a temp agency until I got a permanent job; another "normal" job. One day they asked if I would mind working in "a warehouse" for a few weeks. The job ended up being in a skeevy part of DC. I walked up through this not nice area to a grey, unmarked building. I rang the bell and then waited until the guard came down to let me in. Went up a freight elevator and found myself in a combination of the end of "Raiders of the Lost Arc" and "Night at the Museum 2". I was at part of the Smithsonian's "attic" and was there to catalog and organize a bunch of stuff there.
There were crated statues, old, outdated diaramas, stuffed animals, etc everywhere! Best part was I had to bring my lunch as there was nowhere to eat nearby, so I could just look around.

Rabid Rabbit
12-03-2012, 17:53
I was a telepsychic, 1-876 something. talk about fun, I averaged around $14/hr to talk to people. Mostly women that didn't have a true friend that they could talk to. Talk about some sad lives.

IGotIt
12-03-2012, 17:57
Installing the plastic floor protectors on metal table and chair legs. Put cap on the leg bottom, tap hammer once, it better be on right, do the next leg, then the next and so on.

jbp84
12-03-2012, 18:11
I've never had any jobs as weird as some of you, but I've had some fun and interesting ones. I worked at a little ice cream shack in high school. GREAT way to impress girls. We had a Snow Cone machine that made great alcoholic slushies when you mixed the syrup with vodka. I gave away a lot of ice cream to pretty girls, too.

I also worked at the boat marina at our local lake my sophomore and junior years of high school. I took care of campsites, mowed, sold fishing and boating supplies, etc. Really, really fun job. The best part of the job was the boat rentals. We had a little fishing boat, a pontoon boat, and a speed boat we would rent to people. Again....great way to meet girls. I had some epic parties, which is what ultimately led to me getting fired. My boss lived an hour away, so you do the math: 16/17 year old boy with unlimited access to a pontoon and speed boat, lots of soda and snacks, plus pretty much no supervision. My boss always showed up the first Saturday of every month to check in, restock supplies, drop off my paycheck, etc. For the two years I worked there I only saw him the first Saturday, no more and no less. Imagine my surprise when he came by on a Friday night unannounced while I was in the speed boat with a girl. I got fired on the spot.

Dennis in MA
12-03-2012, 18:27
First job: Airplane washer..."washboy". Only kid in 10th grade making more than minimum wage. ($5/hr back when min was $2.85. Rollin' in the dough.)

Freefall photographer/videographer for ten years: (Mostly shooting skydiving students, but also a couple commercials, a couple of equipment test jumps and a promo video for West Point cadet's skydiving team). 2000 jumps and two broken backs later, I retired at the ripe old age of 34.

Almost a reality TV contestant. (not really 'contestant'...but 'participant': There are no winners of 'Out of the Wild'). I got paid for my time, so I'll call it a job.

Current, favorite, strangest and hopefully last job: Tin kicker.

Did you use Prop Wash to clean those planes?

One of the jobs I had in HS was to wear a mattress suit and get attacked by a narcoleptic Rosie O'Donnell. HH

Fixed. Lol

I was a telepsychic, 1-876 something. talk about fun, I averaged around $14/hr to talk to people. Mostly women that didn't have a true friend that they could talk to. Talk about some sad lives.

I couldn't do that. Couldn't keep people on the line long enough to make $.

relayman
12-03-2012, 19:10
Zookeeper . Great fun ! Bicycle assembly guy for J.C. Penney during the Christmas holidays ( High School ) .

GlockinNJ
12-03-2012, 19:20
In high school, during the summer I worked in an amusement park and manned the Frog Bog, among other games.

I also worked at a water slide. The employee parties after the park was closed were awesome.

I also worked as a butcher's assistant in a deli and made homemade sausage.

deguelo
12-03-2012, 19:40
i was a chicken crusher for a time.......

Pierre!
12-03-2012, 20:29
Not too off the wall.... just the *Best Job Ever*....

parking cars at the Hyatt Lake Tahoe!

Summer was the best - No snow, and the babes usually took the short walk out the main entrance to the beach.

Right through the Valet Parking area... :supergrin:

MmMmMm...

Good Money, Great Views, 24 Hour Party...

Just what a young man needs to help him make Great Life Choices... :supergrin:

Who's next ...

Patrick

HollowHead
12-03-2012, 20:32
My first "career" job right out of college was as a CMX editor on 2" Quad videotape (it was also my first union job - NABET-but I digress) working for a contract production house in NYC. One of the clients was The Playboy Channel and we had to turn hardcore porn into softcore. Fun for the first few weeks... HH

Z71bill
12-03-2012, 21:39
When I was 13 years old - I spent a few months nailing beaver pelts to plywood.

Fur side down - nail about every inch - all the way around -

After they dried - took them off the the plywood & brushed them. :cool:

I also put fox, coyote & mink pelts on a fur drying thingy that looked sort of like a hanger.

Most jobs a 13 year old could get paid $1.60 an hour (minimum wage) and were maybe 20 hours a week. This job paid $5 an hour and I could put in as many hours as I wanted plus they also paid a bonus.

No nailing beaver jokes please. :supergrin:

Gonzoso
12-03-2012, 23:07
My first job was working for a tree service for 5.35 an hour in 2001.

The boss was a drunk and it was hard hard work.

Then I got a job as a referee at a large paintball field. I would referee groups of people from 10 to over a 100 and oversee large games which had up to 4,000 people reenacting large battles such as the invasion of Normandy.

The clients range from groups of kids for birthday parties to city thugs like the "Felony Ryderz Motorcycle Club" or just straight up crips, or corporate groups, or bachelor parties.

Overseeing fair play is a small part of the job. Most of the job is handing a bunch of yokels who never touched a gun a paintball gun capable of serious bodily harm and keeping everyone safe all day.

I've been there 11 years now and moved up the ladder a bit as I earned my BS in an unrelated science field. I have still not found a "real job" but this pays the bills for now.

I have seen and assisted in treatment of injuries from broken legs, arms, fingers, skulls, seizures, etc. Also saw people that got an eye blown out of their head because someone was stupid.

My midweek work involves field maintenance and can range from cleanup to construction, tree work, etc.

Highlights of my job include:
Driving through 2,000 people assaulting another 2,000 people at a beachhead type invasion in a golf cart.
Capturing and dispatching a rabid raccoon because the state was in a budget freeze and couldn't help out.
Burning a wooden mockup of a world war II tank with a molotov cocktail.
Breaking up and resolving numerous fistfights which result from too much testosterone and bad behavior.

I've seen so much weird crap happen up there I could write a book at this point.

At times I've also guided whitewater river trips as well, but I don't do that anymore. I enjoy the river too much to want to spoil it by being in the company of a bunch of tourists when I go down it.

G23Gen4TX
12-03-2012, 23:28
Back in 1996 as a 24 yo student I worked for a company that would duplicate (legally) VHS tapes. we had several master videos (beta, 3/4 etc) and a wall of 50 or so VHS recorders.
You put the master in and load 50 tapes into the recorders then press play on the master and one button will operate the recorders. When it was done recording we would pack them.

We did anything from 10 min infomercials to 3 hours WWF wrestling.

The hardest thing was when we duplicated porn. Mostly because I could not fast forward. :-p

DWARREN123
12-04-2012, 02:58
Not really unusal but the worst job was Drill Sergeant in the ARMY. It is/was a job I would choose only as a last resort nowadays. :steamed:

Dubble-Tapper
12-04-2012, 19:28
Not really unusal but the worst job was Drill Sergeant in the ARMY. It is/was a job I would choose only as a last resort nowadays. :steamed:

was it the stereotypical Gunny type DS? i figure that could be fun thinking of crazy **** to yell at people :rofl:

i imagine there was way more to it than that though.

UtahIrishman
12-04-2012, 19:53
I laid rail by hand one time...not just me of course..
The rail was going into a tunnel that was too small for the railroad's usual rail laying machine. We set the rail and then hammered in the pins using sledges.

Job interview? Curl a 90 lb bag of cement and you were on the crew.

scwine
12-04-2012, 20:56
Not me, but lots of friends a few years older than me...
Would get hired while in high school by the towns rice dryers to take sawed off brooms to whack rats all day long in the tunnels under the silos.

edcrosbys
12-05-2012, 13:14
This was only a short-term gig, but when I was teenager my father had a friend with a wholesale medical supply company....

This wasn't in Jacksonville, was it? My Dad did a decent amount of that business when it first started and they were selling supplies out of the owner's garage. About 20 years later, I worked for the same (now LARGE) company for 5 years...

Rabid Rabbit
12-05-2012, 13:52
i was a chicken crusher for a time.......

You got paid for doing that? Where do I sign up?

TK-421
12-05-2012, 14:32
Man, you guys seem to have all the fun jobs. I've washed boats for my uncle for two summers at his boat repair shop, worked at a grocery store as a bagger, and the guy walking up and down the aisles making sure they look pretty, worked at a PetSmart in the hotel looking after dogs, and I worked at a gas station.

Gas station was probably the most fun, because of all the different people I got to meet. But I got so tired of having to handle money and always stressing that it had to be exactly perfect, otherwise they'd take it out of my check, even if it wasn't my fault.

PetSmart or the grocery store would be the worst. PetSmart because of the smell of all the fecal matter, but it did have the best pay out of every job I worked. The grocery store was bad because it was union, low wages, only 12 hours a week, but it was great because my boss was awesome. As long as it appeared like we were working, occasionally, and the main boss wasn't around, he didn't care what we did. It made the job sufferable. I would've hated to work there full time though, it sucked only doing it 12 hours a week. But that might've been because the pay checks were lousy. When the union was taking all of the money they felt I owed them for signing up for the union, I was lucky to get a $30 paycheck. That always bugged the hell out of me. But it was either that or not have a job, which would've meant tons of complaining by the parents, so I suffered through it.

RedTop
12-05-2012, 15:12
Man, you guys seem to have all the fun jobs. I've washed boats for my uncle for two summers at his boat repair shop, worked at a grocery store as a bagger, and the guy walking up and down the aisles making sure they look pretty, worked at a PetSmart in the hotel looking after dogs, and I worked at a gas station.

Gas station was probably the most fun, because of all the different people I got to meet. But I got so tired of having to handle money and always stressing that it had to be exactly perfect, otherwise they'd take it out of my check, even if it wasn't my fault.

PetSmart or the grocery store would be the worst. PetSmart because of the smell of all the fecal matter, but it did have the best pay out of every job I worked. The grocery store was bad because it was union, low wages, only 12 hours a week, but it was great because my boss was awesome. As long as it appeared like we were working, occasionally, and the main boss wasn't around, he didn't care what we did. It made the job sufferable. I would've hated to work there full time though, it sucked only doing it 12 hours a week. But that might've been because the pay checks were lousy. When the union was taking all of the money they felt I owed them for signing up for the union, I was lucky to get a $30 paycheck. That always bugged the hell out of me. But it was either that or not have a job, which would've meant tons of complaining by the parents, so I suffered through it.

It could be worse, like getting hit center mass with a blaster while standing guard of an impounded ship that made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.

k9medic
12-05-2012, 15:25
I had a part-time gig cleaning swimming pools at hotels Using scuba gear.

I also used to DJ on the weekends and followed Bubba the love sponge after his session (before he became so popular)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

TK-421
12-05-2012, 15:39
It could be worse, like getting hit center mass with a blaster while standing guard of an impounded ship that made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.

Hey, hey, LESS than 12 parsecs. :tongueout:

That, and from the sounds of it, Han and Luke beat the stuffing out of the stormtroopers, instead of using blasters.

Then I got a job as a referee at a large paintball field. I would referee groups of people from 10 to over a 100 and oversee large games which had up to 4,000 people reenacting large battles such as the invasion of Normandy.

Skirmish USA?

randyr5
12-05-2012, 15:43
I worked for a brief time in a plastics factory that made, among other things, NERF footballs.

Powermwt
12-05-2012, 16:01
I worked at a rural landfill at 14 signing in people and collecting the money. There were plenty of times I would not see a customer for hours on end, so, with permission I shot squirrels and rats when no one was there.

At 16 I worked for an auto movie... ah, drive-in movie theatre. I did everything from selling tickets to the concession stand. We were allowed to bring friends in our car to watch whatever was showing. I had a lot of friends. :wow:

texasglong
12-05-2012, 17:41
Beekeeper

Andy123
12-05-2012, 17:48

Yep, this is pretty much For The Win, we should just end this thread now.

Dubble-Tapper
12-05-2012, 18:03
Yep, this is pretty much For The Win, we should just end this thread now.

i wonder about the validity of the post.

it would be epic if it were true.

RedTop
12-05-2012, 18:03
Hey, hey, LESS than 12 parsecs. :tongueout:

That, and from the sounds of it, Han and Luke beat the stuffing out of the stormtroopers, instead of using blasters.

I don't know... I could have swore I heard a blaster go off. An ND, perhaps?:rofl:

deguelo
12-05-2012, 18:10
You got paid for doing that? Where do I sign up?

it wasn't as glamorous (or sadistic) as it sounds. i worked at a party house in the town where i attended college doing just about everything--waiting tables, bartending, set up, break down, bouncing, and yes, food prep. when we did a wedding reception or other large party, i would go the club at about 0430 to get the boxes of chicken halves on ice off the delivery truck. to make them fit in the large baking pans better, i would take each piece and tuck the leg under the wing next to the breast and give it a good squeeze, thereby making them more compact so they wouldn't overlap when in the oven and would cook evenly. the grand dame of the joint, a tough chain-smoking irish broad who was none to easy to impress, said that when i was handling that job, we never had any 'white-ass chicken'. high praise, indeed, for an up-and-coming chicken crusher.........

robin303
12-05-2012, 18:12
Not weird but tied Xmas trees and loaded them in cars when I was in Jr high. I couldn't believe the tips I got.:wow:

RedTop
12-05-2012, 18:49
Not weird but tied Xmas trees and loaded them in cars when I was in Jr high. I couldn't believe the tips I got.:wow:

Little old ladies? The same thing happened to me when I bagged groceries at 14.

Dennis in MA
12-05-2012, 18:50

Yeah. Imagine losing the Millenium Falcon and having to tell Vader. I'd take a blaster to the chest any day over that.

Tip - learn to tie s trucker's hitch. Lol

countrygun
12-05-2012, 18:55
i wonder about the validity of the post.

it would be epic if it were true.

If you are familiar with the cinematic presentations, and you are familiar with the reality, you realize that "Somebody's got to be doing it"

RedTop
12-05-2012, 18:58
If you are familiar with the cinematic presentations, and you are familiar with the reality, you realize that "Somebody's got to be doing it"

Borat (Cohen) films exist for a reason.

Indy_Guy_77
12-06-2012, 12:10
A) Do-all kid at a very very very small independent (and ultimately unsuccessful pet store). Rather enjoyed taking care of the fish - not so much the reptiles, birds, and rodents. Also hard to explain to my boss how a diamond dove got loose and flew right into the open mouth of a Persian cat...

B) Kroger Deli Boy - just a 2.5 week stint while on semester break during my freshman year of college.

C) Cheese packaging factory during the summer between my 1st and 2nd years in college. I didn't get to cut it as much as I'd hoped - generally just packaging.

First career: Geotechnical Geologist - took soil & rock core samples / subsurface investigations for transportation-related engineering projects.