He has never left his state... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : He has never left his state...

airmotive
12-03-2012, 14:39
Met a guy at Atlanta airport last week. He picked me at random to ask where a gate was. Nice enough guy...probably late 50s. (I suck at guessing ages on black folks...so give or take 20 years). Anyway, he went on to tell me this was his first time flying...and first time ever leaving the state of Georgia. Going to Detroit for a family reunion. He was excited about the trip and went on and on for a while....like a kid going on his first trip to Disney.

Man...what an effed up opinion to be left with on America. The only parts you've seen in 50 years is Atlanta...and when you finally get to see what's outside Atlanta, you go to Detroit.

Maybe he'll have a connection in Memphis on the way home.

Anyone else here never been across state lines or know someone like that?

jtmac
12-03-2012, 14:46
I know a man who, by his 50s, had been all over the US, but had never had a meal at a restaurant that wasn't a hamburger. His home cooked meals growing up hadn't had much variety, either. He married, and his well-traveled wife fixed that.

He has another decade and a half on him now and he's eaten many different things... but if you ask him where he wants to go eat, he'll pick Wendy's. He's not big on anything that's not beef and potatoes, either. I met him when we were on our way to Peru, where he bravely spent a month eating new things. I have no doubt that their first meal back home was at Wendy's. :)

janice6
12-03-2012, 14:48
Met a guy at Atlanta airport last week. He picked me at random to ask where a gate was. Nice enough guy...probably late 50s. (I suck at guessing ages on black folks...so give or take 20 years). Anyway, he went on to tell me this was his first time flying...and first time ever leaving the state of Georgia. Going to Detroit for a family reunion. He was excited about the trip and went on and on for a while....like a kid going on his first trip to Disney.

Man...what an effed up opinion to be left with on America. The only parts you've seen in 50 years is Atlanta...and when you finally get to see what's outside Atlanta, you go to Detroit.

When I was dating my wife, she had never been out of her hometown. When we got married in Charleston, SC, it was the first time she had been on an airplane and out of the state.

kiole
12-03-2012, 15:01
My friend is in the army and went to airborne school. One of the guys in his group had never been in an airplane before jumping. The kid did 6 + jumps. I still don't think he has ever landed in an airplane.

Butcher
12-03-2012, 15:02
My girlfriend is very well travelled and cooks all sorts of ethnic foods for me, but can't stand the smell of seafood. We live near a port city where crabs are a big deal and there are a ton of delicious sushi restaurants... my mom's family is all Peruvian so we were raised on seafood. We're surrounded by great seafood, but I can't get her to eat any

She's not allergic, just doesn't like the smell. Never understood people who close themselves off to a part of the world!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Batesmotel
12-03-2012, 15:24
In 85 I met a guy in Summerville Tennessee who had never left the state. The farthest he had ever gone was to Memphis when the draft board picked his number for WWII. He failed the physical. Went back to the farm and never left.

cgwahl
12-03-2012, 15:34
I've heard in some of the poorer neighborhoods in cities, it's not unheard of to occasionally find someone that never really went beyond a 10 or 15 mile radius of where they live.

smokeross
12-03-2012, 15:40
It always amazes me to talk to people near where I live only to discover they have never been more than 10 miles north of Soldotna. They have made many trips to Anchorage though.

janice6
12-03-2012, 15:43
My girlfriend is very well travelled and cooks all sorts of ethnic foods for me, but can't stand the smell of seafood. We live near a port city where crabs are a big deal and there are a ton of delicious sushi restaurants... my mom's family is all Peruvian so we were raised on seafood. We're surrounded by great seafood, but I can't get her to eat any

She's not allergic, just doesn't like the smell. Never understood people who close themselves off to a part of the world!

I respond to seafood the way your girlfriend does.

I figure it is better to close yourself off to a part of the world, rather than fill it with vomit.

I cannot stand the smell or taste.

PVolk
12-03-2012, 15:47
LOL. You're right though.

At least he won't think Detroit is as bad as we do, with him already being used to Atlanta.

Gallium
12-03-2012, 16:17
There was a guy I knew, who at the age of 30 had never had a driver license...or left the island.

When I met him was was likewise 30, and had been to many places all over the globe.

He is the 1st 30yr old I ever met that had never left the island, and when he did, the 1st place he went to was Liberty State Park, NJ for a gig.

It was his 1st time seeing the New York City skyline OUTSIDE of NYC.

Yep, 30 years old and he had never left the island of Manhattan.

Never Nervous
12-03-2012, 16:49

I was going to say Georgia until I saw you said Atlanta.:rofl: Yeah, I have played golf with a few people like that from here, both black and white. Couldn't believe it at first.

NN

Never Nervous
12-03-2012, 17:00
I've heard in some of the poorer neighborhoods in cities, it's not unheard of to occasionally find someone that never really went beyond a 10 or 15 mile radius of where they live.

Seen this also here. A 22 year old kid came to work for us as a driver. We are on the west side of Atlanta. Well, we found out that he had never been on the east, north or south side of Atlanta ever. That didn't work. He's a painter now.:supergrin:

NN

cowboywannabe
12-03-2012, 17:05
if it werent for the state pen most of the folks i come in contact with wouldnt go 50 miles from their home town.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-03-2012, 17:07
My mom never had bleu cheese until she was in her 70's.

My wife made dinner, and put it in her salad. "What's this stuff, I like it."

She also grew up in a house that had an outhouse, no bathroom inside. She went to a 1 room school house, that also only had an outhouse. That was until 8th grade.

cgwahl
12-03-2012, 17:12

She also grew up in a house that had an outhouse, no bathroom inside. She went to a 1 room school house, that also only had an outhouse. That was until 8th grade.

Going to go out on a limb and say she hated it when the Sears catalog started using glossy paper.

Hef
12-03-2012, 17:41
I've had times when I would go for months without leaving the island, but I've got nothing on that guy.

deputy tom
12-03-2012, 17:47
I know a guy that hasn't been more than twenty miles away from his home. He is in his late fifties. He drives a delivery truck (pick-up) and has never driven on an Interstate road.I feel bad for him but ignorance is bliss or so they say.tom.

tantrix
12-03-2012, 17:56
I've been across state lines a few times, but I doubt I ever will again in the future.

NMG26
12-03-2012, 18:00
My friend is in the army and went to airborne school. One of the guys in his group had never been in an airplane before jumping. The kid did 6 + jumps. I still don't think he has ever landed in an airplane.

Now that is funny.

:rofl:

ithaca_deerslayer
12-03-2012, 18:04
Going to go out on a limb and say she hated it when the Sears catalog started using glossy paper.

What's a catalog?

:)

She skis and bikes nowadays, almost 80. Surprising how healthy you can stay if you don't eat anything but plain whole foods.

Oh, that reminds me, she didn't ride a bike until past age 60. As in never, didn't know how, she never had one as a kid.

Lone Wolf8634
12-03-2012, 18:23
There was a guy I knew, who at the age of 30 had never had a driver license...or left the island.

When I met him was was likewise 30, and had been to many places all over the globe.

He is the 1st 30yr old I ever met that had never left the island, and when he did, the 1st place he went to was Liberty State Park, NJ for a gig.

It was his 1st time seeing the New York City skyline OUTSIDE of NYC.

Yep, 30 years old and he had never left the island of Manhattan.

I met a gentleman on the Island like this myself. I had a load out there and he woke me up to unload me. He asked if I had gotten there early since I beat him to the gate. I said no, I had arrived the night before and slept right where I was parked. He gave me a funny look and said " Sonny, I'm a black man and I don't come down here at night!"

After a good chuckle we got to BSing and he asked me where I was from. When I told him Wyoming he asked if we were still carrying six guns and fightin the indians. I think he was only half joking. After I told him that we actually have electricity and concrete he told me he'd never been off Long Island in his life. The closest he could imagine wilderness would be Central Park.

He was 62 at the time.

USMCsilver
12-03-2012, 18:27
My wife has been all over Europe, yet never west of the Missippi; hell, I actually think mid-TN and OH are the furthest west she's ever traveled.

I've been all over God's green Earth.

Not too odd to find folks who've never left the state. Bunch of damned dumb-ass hicks around here, or broke-ass brothas.

Good for him for gettin' out, even though it's Detroit. :)

blackjack
12-03-2012, 18:29

The paragraphs above made me LOL but also see this as being somewhat sad. I guess if he's happy in his limited radius life and the chance to visit family is a major thrill then I'm happy for him.

I had a kid in the Boy Scout troop where I was Scoutmaster once remark that a trip from OK to KS for a campout was his first time out of state. I didn't think he came from limited family circumstances so it kind of surprised me. But this was the same kid who later attempted to lasso a whitetail deer when we were on a 60-mile backpacking trip at Philmont Scout Ranch. He was unsuccessful and I was able to dissuade him from further attempts. :faint:

Peace Warrior
12-03-2012, 18:31
Dated a girl right out of High School that had never been out of Florida. She was apprehensive about going to college in Mississippi (MSU).

Worked with an older gentleman in Tennessee that had never left it.

OP, I see what you did there. :whistling:

Keoking
12-03-2012, 18:32

I had a buddy from Miami who went to Arctic Warfare School along with several guys who were also from south Florida. For his buddies, it was the first time that they had ever seen snow.

railfancwb
12-03-2012, 19:07

Yes, that was BAD! Then to add insult to injury, they quit publishing the thing.

railfancwb
12-03-2012, 19:10
I grew up in a town which crossed a state line, so I was in those two states regularly. Adding others had to wait awhile.

2bgop
12-03-2012, 19:25
I've been across state lines a few times, but I doubt I ever will again in the future.

Aren't you pretty young?

Never Nervous
12-03-2012, 19:33

BTDT deerslayer. Brings back some memories. A class in each corner of the room and a big heater or stove in the center. Your mom and I must be around the same age.

NN

Never Nervous
12-03-2012, 19:35

Don't forget Robuck. Oh, and one seat or two?:whistling:

NN

BEER
12-03-2012, 19:41
i've been out of texas exactly 3 times and all 3 of those was to go to Mississippi for gulf wars. during those trips i stopped off in louisianna and made a detour through Arkansas. i appreciate the rest of the U.S. but i don't see any reason to leave Texas again.

i know more than a few folks that have never left their hometowns much less the state of Texas and none of them can see any reason to ever do so.

you can call it xenophobia or whatever but some people are just wired that way, and that's ok in my opinion.

*ASH*
12-03-2012, 19:44
my grandma on my dads side never left NC and lived to be 96 , and she said she only saw the beach once . plus never owned a drivers license. she NEVER drove a car ,ever :faint::faint:

tantrix
12-04-2012, 01:11
Aren't you pretty young?

If you consider 32 'young'. That's old enough to have been all over the country, but I don't like any other states except for a few...and they're in the South.

Gunhaver
12-04-2012, 01:40
I never got out of the central time zone until I went to Denver for a family reunion with my then wife. I just made the rounds from Chicago to KC to SL to several smaller towns in Missouri and Iowa and even Nebraska. I finally saw the ocean, or at least the gulf, when I went to NOLA to get married but still didn't get out of the time zone with that trip.

I turned down some adamant requests to go to NY and LA by my ex just because I'm sick to death of big cities. Why can't anyone drag me on a business trip to Ayers rock or Blue John Canyon?

DWARREN123
12-04-2012, 01:59
People who want to travel will and those that don't will not.

Actually I do not like to travel and dislike going more than 100 miles from home, having said that I have been to many places. I feel like I have been around the world 3 times but like home best. :supergrin:

ithaca_deerslayer
12-04-2012, 05:18
Don't forget Robuck. Oh, and one seat or two?:whistling:

NN

I don't know how many seats, but her mother kept a pot inside for them to use at night. Upstate NY gets pretty cold sometimes.

airmotive
12-04-2012, 05:32
I can understand a person not traveling who doesn't have the means.
What I don't understand is a person deliberately cloistering himself away from the rest of the world, refusing to explore even what is just beyond his own horizon.

I'm not saying it's a sign of an evil person; I simply don't understand. It seems like a waste of one's time on this planet. Your existence in this world is finite. To not explore even a little bit seems like a giant waste of time....a waste of existence. Like shooting a deer and then leaving it to rot.

So what if it's scary. So what if you don't enjoy everything you see. You get one shot at this life. Live a little.

samuse
12-04-2012, 08:50
I can understand a person not traveling who doesn't have the means.
What I don't understand is a person deliberately cloistering himself away from the rest of the world, refusing to explore even what is just beyond his own horizon.

I'm not saying it's a sign of an evil person; I simply don't understand. It seems like a waste of one's time on this planet. Your existence in this world is finite. To not explore even a little bit seems like a giant waste of time....a waste of existence. Like shooting a deer and then leaving it to rot.

So what if it's scary. So what if you don't enjoy everything you see. You get one shot at this life. Live a little.

I've been all over the the US several times and I hate to travel. It's expensive. It's a PITA. It's tiring. Besides the landscape and accents, everything is exactly the same, except all food North of I-10 is generally horrible or worse.

tantrix
12-04-2012, 08:58
I've been all over the the US several times and I hate to travel. It's expensive. It's a PITA. It's tiring. Besides the landscape and accents, everything is exactly the same, except all food North of I-10 is generally horrible or worse.

This is more reality than anything, especially the food North of I-10...it's horrible. :rofl:

PBCounty
12-04-2012, 09:11
I don't get around too much and doubt I really ever will. I have only been out of my state once (if you don't count entering international water) and that was eighteen years ago. My idea of traveling is staying inside of a couple hour drive from my house and visiting familiar places.

As far as other common stuff, I've also never eaten meatloaf, snapped my fingers, whistled or ever played or witnessed a game of football or baseball. I'm on track to live up to my mom's 60+ years old and having never seen snow before.

GWSHARK
12-04-2012, 11:35
anywhere between 30 and 70 :rofl::rofl::rofl:

black don't crack

:rofl::rofl:

FullClip
12-04-2012, 12:02
We had a family friend who at age 75+, lived in "real" Down est Maine and had never been south of Bangor (about 110 miles away). I remember him saying that he'd love to see the world if only he could come home every night and sleep in his own bed.:supergrin:

Sometimes I think he had it right. I live away from home a lot and it gets to be worse and worse every time I leave my dooryard.

2bgop
12-04-2012, 12:03
If you consider 32 'young'. That's old enough to have been all over the country, but I don't like any other states except for a few...and they're in the South.

Well being a couple years older than you, I am still holding on to it being young. I didn't mean to imply that you were too young to have traveled any, I meant it as you have many years ahead of you, much can happen that would take you out of the state over that time.