AR mags...steel vs. aluminum? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR mags...steel vs. aluminum?

emt1581
12-03-2012, 20:17
I keep a Pmag Maglevel in all of my AR's. And I have a bunch more of the same mags. I also have a bunch of aluminum C Products and whichever company has a bat as a logo...

Anyway, I'm noticing that some of the traditional AR mags are stainless and some are aluminum. Does it really matter?

I've heard things about the feed lips stretching on the aluminum mags.

Is it really worth the extra .50 per mag to go with steel vs. aluminum?

Thanks

-Emt1581

ranger1968
12-03-2012, 20:22
I have never seen much difference between the two... but honestly..... I would get a bunch of P-mags and not look back......

Warp
12-03-2012, 20:23
I'd just get PMAGs.

Or USGI aluminum mags, such as Colt or NHMTG

emt1581
12-03-2012, 20:27
I have never seen much difference between the two... but honestly..... I would get a bunch of P-mags and not look back......

The earlier Pmags were really hit or miss as far as fit went for me. Some did not drop free and I had to file them a bit. Never had any issues with the aluminum mags.

Like I said, I do have a bunch of each and maybe I should contact Magpul and see what they say about the ones that don't drop free. :dunno:

So no real difference eh?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Warp
12-03-2012, 20:30
The earlier Pmags were really hit or miss as far as fit went for me. Some did not drop free and I had to file them a bit. Never had any issues with the aluminum mags.

Like I said, I do have a bunch of each and maybe I should contact Magpul and see what they say about the ones that don't drop free. :dunno:

So no real difference eh?

Thanks

-Emt1581

What rifle is that in?

I am unfamiliar with that issue.

NEOH212
12-04-2012, 00:31
I've used steel and aluminum AR mags as well as the PMags and haven't had one issue with them not dropping free.

I'm curious about what gun this was with.

The only mags I haven't had malfunction at all in any AR yet are the PMags. They've run 100%. I can't say the same for the green follower Milspec mags.

NEOH212
12-04-2012, 00:33
I'm sure the well made stainless mags such as the ones made for the HK416/MR556 are a bit more durable than anything else out there but I can't justify the cost.

The aluminum GI mags (with the Magpul followers) and PMags work too well for me to justify the cost of purchasing anything else.

Personally, I like the PMags and they are all I've been buying for a while now.

MAC702
12-04-2012, 01:24
I've a dozen P-mags, a dozen C-Products, and a half-dozen Brownells.

I've never been tempted to buy a steel one.

skeeter7
12-04-2012, 03:49
Personally, I like the PMags and they are all I've been buying for a while now.

Same here... :thumbsup:

motorcyclist
12-04-2012, 04:42
I bought two 20 round AR Stoner (Midway) in stainless that work really well if your looking for a durable mag. Somebody told me thay are made by ASC. I would imagine the 30 round version would compare to the 30 round com block AK (beat somebody to death with it when its empty" mags.

WarEagle 1
12-04-2012, 04:44
Can't go wrong with Pmags!!

1gewehr
12-04-2012, 09:02
ALL USGI mags are aluminum except for the HK-made ones. The military is STILL buying the same pattern mags it bought 30 years ago with updated followers.

If buying used USGI mags, check for dents and for cracks in the feed lips. The feed lips typically crack at the back of the mag, and sometimes can be hard to see. The finish is irrelevant to functioning.

Sgt_Gold
12-04-2012, 15:37
If I lived in a free state I'd NEVER own another metal AR magazine. P-Mags are just that much better without all the fragility of the aluminum magazines or the weight of the steel ones. If I had to choose between metals, I'd take the steel ones. Reason being if you damage a steel magazine you have a much better chance of being able to bend it back into shape. Once you bend aluminum, bending it back is sometimes enough to make it fail. Steel doesn't suffer from this type of metal fatigue and minor dents and feed lip issues can usually be fixed.

Steve in PA
12-04-2012, 15:53
I swear, some people must have aluminum USGI mags that are made out of tissue paper based on how "fragile" they are supposed to be.

I have over 30, USGI-style aluminum magazines that see a lot of use. I use them for my general shooting/plinking, going to instructor/tactical schools and I have my department use them during out yearly qualification and training. The only thing I do with my mags is make sure they have the anti-tilt followers.

fnfalman
12-04-2012, 15:59
I swear, some people must have aluminum USGI mags that are made out of tissue paper based on how "fragile" they are supposed to be.

Because they are that "fragile".

They get dented pretty easily with hard use.

ranger1968
12-04-2012, 16:15
For me, the weakest part of the AR platform has always been the magazines; even the last versions, that C-Products was making, with the orange Mag-Pul followers were on the fragile side for hard use;

The P-Mags, which i have always found to run pretty much 100% and be tough as nails, solved that problem, and made the platform a better one; and they are not that expensive to boot.

Glockdude1
12-04-2012, 16:17
Same here... :thumbsup:

Same here!!

I have 24, 30rd Pmags...........So far.......... 100 is the number I am after.

:cool:

Jason D
12-04-2012, 16:43
I used aluminum GI mags for Highpower for quite a few years. I never suffered a failure or a crack with any of them. They were at the time mostly USGI contract magazines. I have yet to feel the need for a steel one, though I do have a goodly supply of Pmags.

G19g4
12-04-2012, 18:14
Pmag.
http://youtu.be/lKH-FA-h4mI

Big Bird
12-04-2012, 19:14
Lancer L5 AWM. Smoke/Translucent. Best of all worlds. Hardened Steel feed lips. Polymer mag body. Translucent design so you can see your ammunition.

Mine have fed perfectly over about 1800 rounds in three different platforms and have been through a carbine course and a couple of fun shoots not to mention regular use. They get dropped, stepped on, and keep coming back for more.

Brownells has em for a good price with a 100% satisfaction lifetime guarantee. Take that PMAG!

http://bcove.me/cdift4zv

mvician
12-04-2012, 19:53
C-Products was making, with the orange Mag-Pul followers

Those aren't Magpul followers.......they are copies

emt1581
12-04-2012, 20:17
Not sure if it is just aimsurplus or what but it looks like the dust covers don't come with Pmags anymore.

-Emt1581

Warp
12-04-2012, 20:19
Not sure if it is just aimsurplus or what but it looks like the dust covers don't come with Pmags anymore.

-Emt1581

The remainder of the Gen2 PMAGs are shipping without the dust covers.

mvician
12-04-2012, 20:27
The Gen II's are now called PMag MOE = no dust cover, supposed to also be less in price.

mjkeat
12-04-2012, 20:35
Yep, all the remaining "gen IIs" will ship w/ dust covers then when they are gone the MOEs will start shipping. MOEs will ship w/o dust cover like Mike stated.

Warp
12-04-2012, 20:45
Yep, all the remaining "gen IIs" will ship w/ dust covers then when they are gone the MOEs will start shipping. MOEs will ship w/o dust cover like Mike stated.

Difference between Gen2 and MOE being the lack of a dust cover and nothing more, amiright?

mjkeat
12-04-2012, 22:21
Correct

emt1581
12-05-2012, 05:08

Oh ok. Hmm..MOE Pmags. Interesting.

Do you work for Magpul?

Thanks

-Emt1581

MrMurphy
12-05-2012, 06:04
No, he gets emails like the rest of us.

However, I do know MagPul's head of production and quite a few others guys there, and what he's saying is essentially correct.

Leigh
12-05-2012, 06:59
I wonder if the dust cover instructions are still imprinited on the 'cover-less' mags?

mgs
12-05-2012, 07:04
Steel magazines are really only needed for larger diameter cartridges. I have not tried Pmags for 7.62x39 in my Colt. The aluminum mags will swell after 8 rounds in a 20/30 round mag and will not insert in the magwell. The larger diameter of the round expands the mag. I use steel USA 20 & 30 round bananna mags and they work great. I'll have to try the Pmags and post a report. Feeding 5 to 6 rounds out of a GI mag will work but thats it. I have not tried any stainless HK AR Mags yet but they may work. Are the 6.8 mags steel?

faawrenchbndr
12-05-2012, 07:38
The mags for the x39 AR platform have always been the achiles heel.
Most are complete junk. I have never had an issue with aluminum
mags in an AR. As for the 7.62x39, look for steel mags, CProducts
used to make some good ones. No idea now that the company
has been sold.

emt1581
12-06-2012, 17:36
Just wanted to share an update. I contacted Magpul about the mag I was having trouble with. They said to fill out a form and drop it in the mail and they'd replace it. That's good enough for me. A good company that I'll keep buying from!

-Emt1581

MrMurphy
12-06-2012, 18:10
Normal procedure in their case.

PMags are vastly superior to everything else out there, though MagPul-followered GI mags are close behind. Even then, they're replaceable items and can break (eventually), they're good about replacing ones which go south when they're not supposed to.

emt1581
12-06-2012, 18:15

PMags are vastly superior to everything else out there, though MagPul-followered GI mags are close behind. Even then, they're replaceable items and can break (eventually), they're good about replacing ones which go south when they're not supposed to.

Certainly changed my mind about my next mag order. I'll look around for the best deal and pick up a dozen or so.

I think I'll go for the normal Pmags though. If I'm emptying more than a mag I'm probably not going to be too concerned with how many rounds I have left. It'll just be shoot, drop, and load another.

Thanks

-Emt1581

TactiCool
12-06-2012, 18:24

In what way have you determined that they're 'vastly superior' to everything else out there?

Im partial to these myself, esp. with the hardened steel feed lips:

http://www.defensereview.com/lancer-systems-l5-advanced-warfighter-magazine-l5-awm-30-round-translucent-polymer-5-56mm-ar-mag-ar-15-rifle-mag/

Lancer Systems L5 Advanced Warfighter magazine - YouTube

COLOSHOOTR
12-06-2012, 18:27
What rifle is that in?

I am unfamiliar with that issue.

It actually was not uncommon with early PMags that spent any decent amount of time loaded even with dust cover on. I had a few PMags that were early first run mags that would not drop free from a Colt 6920 unless they were fully loaded. When they were empty they needed a slight pull.

From what I understand there were a few changes to the molding process early on and all mags after that have been 100% reliable and drop free.

emt1581
12-06-2012, 18:33
It actually was not uncommon with early PMags that spent any decent amount of time loaded even with dust cover on. I had a few PMags that were early first run mags that would not drop free from a Colt 6920 unless they were fully loaded. When they were empty they needed a slight pull.

From what I understand there were a few changes to the molding process early on and all mags after that have been 100% reliable and drop free.

And that's what these are...first gens. I think I'm going to test all of my first gens as there are only about 6-10 of them. But they've all been loaded for a few years and it'll be easy to tell if they do the same in my AR's.

Thanks

-Emt1581

faawrenchbndr
12-06-2012, 19:20
Stag & the early S&W, both had tight mag wells,.....issues with PMags

mjkeat
12-06-2012, 21:01
No, he gets emails like the rest of us.

However, I do know MagPul's head of production and quite a few others guys there, and what he's saying is essentially correct.

That and I subcribe through Facebook. Facebook is a good place to go to get updates and news.

Warp
12-06-2012, 21:24
That and I subcribe through Facebook. Facebook is a good place to go to get updates and news.

Or, if you keep up with M4C, magpul posts there

MrMurphy
12-07-2012, 06:59
Nothing wrong with the Lancer and TangoDown mags from what I've seen. However, I have not used them personally, so I won't recommend them "sight unseen". Those whose reports I trust have reported no issues though.

Compared to the usual crap out there, yes, the PMags are vastly superior. Compared to half the GI makers, Thermolds, HK mags (which work fine.....for a while.....), ProMags, Checkmate, USA Mags, etc etc etc...... yeah. Superior.