Chicago firearm registration? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chicago firearm registration?

musclegto
12-04-2012, 00:48
Questions for anyone in the city limits. Do you have to register a handgun/shotgun with the city police? or am I fine with my foid? Reading online did not help much as I got different answers. Seems like confusion is part of the game in trying to keep the city unarmed.

Peace Warrior
12-04-2012, 06:04
:popcorn:

HerrGlock
12-04-2012, 07:07
I'm thinking this might be more a page you're looking for than such a general site as this:

Step-by-step Chicago Firearm Registration
http://www.chicagogunowners.com/2012/05/step-by-step-chicago-firearm-registration/

ysr_racer
12-04-2012, 07:18
Wow, I thought it was bad here in CA.

raven11
12-04-2012, 07:35
Wow, I thought it was bad here in CA.

To put it in perspective, that is only Chicago , the rest of Illinois has ok gun laws

Now excuse me while I take my AR-15 with a 30rnd detachable magazine , pistol grip, and magazine release button to the range :whistling:

ysr_racer
12-04-2012, 07:38
Tell me what the range is like in a few weeks when you're butt deep in snow :rofl:

There's more to life than an AR15.

raven11
12-04-2012, 07:39
Tell me what the range is like in a few weeks when you're butt deep in snow :rofl:

:crying:

Scott3670
12-04-2012, 08:24
So lemme see if I have this right. In order to own a gun in Chicago I have to get both a Firearm Owners' ID card AND a Chicago Firearm Permit? No thanks... I'll think I'll stay right where I am, thank you. Nothing personal.

WarCry
12-04-2012, 09:48
So lemme see if I have this right. In order to own a gun in Chicago I have to get both a Firearm Owners' ID card AND a Chicago Firearm Permit? No thanks... I'll think I'll stay right where I am, thank you. Nothing personal.

I don't have all the specifics, but in the city of Chicago, to even have a handgun in your home, you have to have a state FOID (which I'm okay with, BTW, but that's a different discussion), then you have to have a Chicago permit, you have to take a safety and training course (which, at this point, you have to leave the city for because ranges aren't allowed in the city limits pending the outcome of litigation) then you have to pay to register the handgun with the city, and renew (and pay) for that registration every year.

But, yes, as was stated, that's Chicago-specific. Outside of carry-laws (we're working on that), IL gun laws are actually pretty damn nice. No registrations, no "purchase permits" or anything like that. The waiting periods can be annoying, but it's only three days (and not really even that....if I buy a rifle tonight at 5pm, I have a 1-day wait, but I can pick it up tomorrow at 8am because it's a different day). Overall, things could be far, FAR worse.

As long as you stay out of Chicago.

Fear Night
12-04-2012, 10:07
To put it in perspective, that is only Chicago , the rest of Illinois has ok gun laws
MmmHmmmm, you mean the only state in the USA that refuses to issue Concealed Carry Permits? That Illinois? :dunno:

casualoffender
12-04-2012, 10:58
That must be the safest city in America :upeyes:

Roering
12-04-2012, 11:41

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BlownFiveLiter
12-04-2012, 11:42
I don't have all the specifics, but in the city of Chicago, to even have a handgun in your home, you have to have a state FOID (which I'm okay with, BTW, but that's a different discussion)...

I'm not OK with the FOID, but I have no choice. I'm of the opinion that I should not have to pay for my constitutional rights, they are guaranteed to me. That goes for the Chicago registration and permit, as well.

musclegto
12-04-2012, 11:56
Well thats some bull**** isn't it. I feel like not registering the gun in the city and saying fudge it. But it will probably come back to bite me in the ass.

musclegto
12-04-2012, 11:57
I need to get out of this state.

WarCry
12-04-2012, 12:01
I'm not OK with the FOID, but I have no choice. I'm of the opinion that I should not have to pay for my constitutional rights, they are guaranteed to me. That goes for the Chicago registration and permit, as well.

There are numerous constitutional rights you have to pay for.

In most places, if you want to have a gathering - say, having a band playing in a park and invite people to come watch - you have to pay for permits. That's 1st Amendment stuff, right?

What you're paying for with the FOID card is the system to maintain background check information. While the system is flawed, it's DESIGNED to keep people from getting firearms that shouldn't have them - like a mental health history. You pay $1 a year and carry the card saying the state has cleared you rather than paying a service charge to run your background every time you go in to make a purchase.

The money is for the background check. Pay in advance with the FOID or they'll charge you on a per-purchase basis. Which do you prefer?

Unless you're advocating that taxpayers should be footing the bill so you don't have to pay more when you want to buy something? Looking to spread that expense out to everyone?

TK-421
12-04-2012, 13:28
There are numerous constitutional rights you have to pay for.

In most places, if you want to have a gathering - say, having a band playing in a park and invite people to come watch - you have to pay for permits. That's 1st Amendment stuff, right?

What you're paying for with the FOID card is the system to maintain background check information. While the system is flawed, it's DESIGNED to keep people from getting firearms that shouldn't have them - like a mental health history. You pay $1 a year and carry the card saying the state has cleared you rather than paying a service charge to run your background every time you go in to make a purchase.

The money is for the background check. Pay in advance with the FOID or they'll charge you on a per-purchase basis. Which do you prefer?

Unless you're advocating that taxpayers should be footing the bill so you don't have to pay more when you want to buy something? Looking to spread that expense out to everyone?

I don't know about what it's like in Illinois, but I didn't have to pay one extra cent to have my background check. Maybe the store already built the cost into the price of my firearm, maybe the store doesn't get charged. Either way, there was no extra fee to have a background check done when I got my firearm, but there is an extra fee to get a FOID card.

What would I prefer? The government having a record of every single gun owner, and every single gun the person has, or paying a nominal fee to have my background check done every single time, because they don't keep a record and need to recheck everybody every time they buy a firearm? Gee, that's a really hard decision.

The government should not have any record of who owns guns and who doesn't. Because if the government ever decides they want to forcibly take their guns, I don't want them to be able to go house to house going "Here is the proof that you're a registered gun owner, here is the proof of which guns you own, hand them over."

I don't care if the FOID card costs $5 and gives me unlimited free background checks, and a background check is $15, and I have to have 1,000 background checks done a year, I'll pay the $15 each and every time.

raven11
12-04-2012, 14:03
MmmHmmmm, you mean the only state in the USA that refuses to issue Concealed Carry Permits? That Illinois? :dunno:

yes because California's open carry with no rounds in the handgun is soo much better :upeyes:

musclegto
12-04-2012, 14:31
I don't know about what it's like in Illinois, but I didn't have to pay one extra cent to have my background check. Maybe the store already built the cost into the price of my firearm, maybe the store doesn't get charged. Either way, there was no extra fee to have a background check done when I got my firearm, but there is an extra fee to get a FOID card.

What would I prefer? The government having a record of every single gun owner, and every single gun the person has, or paying a nominal fee to have my background check done every single time, because they don't keep a record and need to recheck everybody every time they buy a firearm? Gee, that's a really hard decision.

The government should not have any record of who owns guns and who doesn't. Because if the government ever decides they want to forcibly take their guns, I don't want them to be able to go house to house going "Here is the proof that you're a registered gun owner, here is the proof of which guns you own, hand them over."

I don't care if the FOID card costs $5 and gives me unlimited free background checks, and a background check is $15, and I have to have 1,000 background checks done a year, I'll pay the $15 each and every time.

That is what bothers me, I don't want the government much less the city know what firearms I own. I just feel like it's none of their dam business.

musclegto
12-04-2012, 14:38
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/chicago-gun-law-has-little-firepower/Content?oid=4066435

Fear Night
12-04-2012, 14:43
yes because California's open carry with no rounds in the handgun is soo much better :upeyes:
Well, at least people that live in rural California and outside the urban areas can easily get a CCW permit. Illinois doesn't issue them at all, even if you live outside the urban areas.

raven11
12-04-2012, 14:55
Well, at least people that live in rural California and outside the urban areas can easily get a CCW permit. Illinois doesn't issue them at all, even if you live outside the urban areas.

doesn't change the fact that if I were to move to California I would have to buy a bunch of 10rnd magazines and i would have to sell most of my handguns because they are not on the "California DOJ approved handgun list"

but hey i get to open carry a empty handgun so its all cool:dunno:

Fear Night
12-04-2012, 15:01
doesn't change the fact that if I were to move to California I would have to buy a bunch of 10rnd magazines and i would have to sell most of my handguns because they are not on the "California DOJ approved handgun list"

but hey i get to open carry a empty handgun so its all cool:dunno:
California and Illinois are both cesspools of Constitutional rights violations. It's like having to choose between having testicular cancer or penile cancer - you're screwed either way

I'll gladly choose to spend my time and money in my home state of Alabama :wavey:

arclight610
12-04-2012, 15:03
and we can even have sbrs in Illinois now too

WarCry
12-04-2012, 15:09

Actually, with a few exceptions, you can carry firearms openly - even handguns - in unincorporated areas, so this information isn't correct.

That is what bothers me, I don't want the government much less the city know what firearms I own. I just feel like it's none of their dam business.

I see here that you have no real idea what the FOID card is, and that's fine. If you don't live or come here, then there's no reason you would need to know, and this is a fair place to explain so you can get the misconceptions out of your head. Everyone gets up in arms (so to speak) over stuff they know nothing about, and that's just as bad as any anti-gunner you'll ever meet. So, just like with (rational) anti-gunners, a little bit of education should be all that's needed. (Note: All of this information excludes Chicago and some surrounding suburbs. This is GENERAL information for the state of IL)

The FOID card is NOT a registration of firearms. You never, EVER have to register any firearm in the state of IL*. I had a FOID card for nearly a year before I bought a firearm. The only paperwork I had to complete for the purchase was the federal form (44-whatever?). The state police have no record or any way to know what I do or don't have in my home. I could own anything from 0-∞ firearms in my home and the state will be none the wiser.

The FOID program has one purpose - the state police investigating backgrounds to make sure people who shouldn't get firearms don't get them in IL. It is NOT a perfect system, there are plenty of flaws. But it has absolutely nothing - Not. One. Thing. - with firearm registration. The only things that will limit your rights are the same things that will in most places: Mental health history, history of violence (felony convictions, orders of protection, etc) or commission of any crimes involving guns. If a circumstance occurs and you have a FOID, it gets revoked and required to surrender the card. If you have these situations and you apply for a FOID, it means you'll be denied (with a written explanation). And it means that the FFL only has to contact the federal authorities rather than the state authorities when you make a purchase, because the state's already done their part.

Again, it's not a perfect system, but it's not the evil that people who don't know what they're talking about make it out to be.

Edited to add the * - I believe like most other places, Class III weapons would have to be registered, but I don't have that and don't see it happening anytime, so I can't say for sure.

as400guy1
12-04-2012, 20:48
The CPD's I've talked to don't mind lawfully armed civilians. Most actually are in favor of CC.

Peace Warrior
12-04-2012, 20:51
:thumbsup: It's been that way for decades too!!! :whistling:

TK-421
12-04-2012, 21:06
Questions for anyone in the city limits.

I see here that you have no real idea what the FOID card is, and that's fine. If you don't live or come here, then there's no reason you would need to know, and this is a fair place to explain so you can get the misconceptions out of your head. Everyone gets up in arms (so to speak) over stuff they know nothing about, and that's just as bad as any anti-gunner you'll ever meet. So, just like with (rational) anti-gunners, a little bit of education should be all that's needed. (Note: All of this information excludes Chicago and some surrounding suburbs. This is GENERAL information for the state of IL)

The FOID card is NOT a registration of firearms. You never, EVER have to register any firearm in the state of IL*. I had a FOID card for nearly a year before I bought a firearm. The only paperwork I had to complete for the purchase was the federal form (44-whatever?). The state police have no record or any way to know what I do or don't have in my home. I could own anything from 0-∞ firearms in my home and the state will be none the wiser.

The FOID program has one purpose - the state police investigating backgrounds to make sure people who shouldn't get firearms don't get them in IL. It is NOT a perfect system, there are plenty of flaws. But it has absolutely nothing - Not. One. Thing. - with firearm registration. The only things that will limit your rights are the same things that will in most places: Mental health history, history of violence (felony convictions, orders of protection, etc) or commission of any crimes involving guns. If a circumstance occurs and you have a FOID, it gets revoked and required to surrender the card. If you have these situations and you apply for a FOID, it means you'll be denied (with a written explanation). And it means that the FFL only has to contact the federal authorities rather than the state authorities when you make a purchase, because the state's already done their part.

Again, it's not a perfect system, but it's not the evil that people who don't know what they're talking about make it out to be.

Edited to add the * - I believe like most other places, Class III weapons would have to be registered, but I don't have that and don't see it happening anytime, so I can't say for sure.

I see that you have no real idea what the laws are like in Chicago.

From the Chicago Police's own website.

"The City of Chicago's new handgun ordinance goes into effect today and the Chicago Police
Department is prepared to implement the permit and registration requirements.
The process involves two steps, beginning with the application for a Chicago Firearms Permit
(CFP), which is required in order to legally register a firearm."

"After obtaining a Chicago Firearms Permit, residents can purchase a firearm. Residents must
then register their firearm within 5 days with the Chicago Police Department."

"Only one handgun can be registered in any 30-day period. The cost is a one-time $15 fee per
firearm, and the person will be required to file an annual report.
To register a firearm the owner must provide information on the type of weapon, the
manufacturer, the serial number, where it was obtained or purchased and where the weapon
will be located."

"Certain types of weapons cannot be registered because they are ineligible or unsafe, such as
sawed-off shotguns, .50 caliber weapons, assault weapons and certain handguns. A list of
ineligible firearms will be posted on the Chicago Police Department's website."

So, to the OP, if you have a pistol, shotgun, or rifle, it has to be registered with the Chicago Police. If you have one of the "unsafe" firearms, get rid of it before someone rats you out.

Firearm Regulations Advisory - https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About%20CPD/Firearm%20Registration/Firearms%20News%20Release.pdf

Unsafe Firearms- https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About%20CPD/Firearm%20Registration/Unsafe-Roster.pdf

WarCry
12-04-2012, 22:05
Check again, man. You said yourself you don't no about IL laws, and you're showing your ignorance. The giant letters only make you look far more stupid and prove that you didn't read what I wrote.

I specifically said that my comments did NOT apply to Chicago. the registrations you're talking about are CHICAGO registration laws and.....I'm going to use your technique since you seem to have trouble reading small print:

FOID is NOT a registration system

I have never, EVER registered a firearm IN MY LIFE.

You're trying to make points that you ADMITTED to having limited or no knowledge of. You're looking like an idiot.

Chicago's laws are municipal and have NOTHING TO DO WITH FOID.

Understand now?

(my guess would be no, because you still have to feel like you know better on subjects you have no knowledge of. You know, when you said:
I don't know about what it's like in Illinois

But please, continue telling me about the laws I live with every day... )

ysr_racer
12-04-2012, 22:08
I lived in Chicago for over 20 years, I've lived in So Cal for over 20 years.

I'll take So Cal any day of the week (and every day of the week in the winter)

TK-421
12-04-2012, 22:19
Check again, man. You said yourself you don't no about IL laws, and you're showing your ignorance. The giant letters only make you look far more stupid and prove that you didn't read what I wrote.

I specifically said that my comments did NOT apply to Chicago. the registrations you're talking about are CHICAGO registration laws and.....I'm going to use your technique since you seem to have trouble reading small print:

FOID is NOT a registration system

I have never, EVER registered a firearm IN MY LIFE.

You're trying to make points that you ADMITTED to having limited or no knowledge of. You're looking like an idiot.

Chicago's laws are municipal and have NOTHING TO DO WITH FOID.

Understand now?

(my guess would be no, because you still have to feel like you know better on subjects you have no knowledge of. You know, when you said:
I don't know about what it's like in Illinois

But please, continue telling me about the laws I live with every day... )

Hmm, telling you about the laws you live with every day? Nope. Never said I was, either. I told you about the laws in Chicago, which, since you missed it in the OP, was what the OP was asking about. And you said, and since you quoted me then I will quote you,

You never, EVER have to register any firearm in the state of IL*.

Notice that you said "in the state of IL", now, I'm not sure about you, but last time I checked, Chicago is actually in the state of Illinois. And last time I checked, you actually have to register firearms you own, if you live in Chicago.

And yes, I admitted to not knowing very much about the specific laws of Illinois. But I'm making myself look like an idiot by researching stuff I don't know about? Well gee, I'm so sorry I wasn't born with all the knowledge you apparently were. I actually have to go read books, and websites to learn information. I don't just happen to automatically know everything like you appear to.

And yes, the FOID card system is a registration system, because it's a people registration system. It says "Hey! Look at me Mr. Government! I want to own a firearm! If you're ever looking for people who might have a firearm when you want to take all firearms away, you should look at me first!"

WarCry
12-04-2012, 22:38
You started by talking about a post I made about FOID. You neglected to highlight the part when I said what I was talking about EXCLUDED the municipal requirements of Chicago.

And yes, the FOID card system is a registration system, because it's a people registration system. It says "Hey! Look at me Mr. Government! I want to own a firearm! If you're ever looking for people who might have a firearm when you want to take all firearms away, you should look at me first!"

And again, this just proves - yet again - that you're a moron. Because you do the EXACT same thing when you buy a gun and fill out the federal paperwork.

Keep on the high horse, though. You seem to be having a good time trying to twist discussion to fit your narrow-minded worldview. You have fun with that.

TK-421
12-04-2012, 23:04
And again, this just proves - yet again - that you're a moron. Because you do the EXACT same thing when you buy a gun and fill out the federal paperwork.

Keep on the high horse, though. You seem to be having a good time trying to twist discussion to fit your narrow-minded worldview. You have fun with that.

And yet again this proves that actually doing research behind what you're talking about would save you from being a moron. :tongueout:

"First, subsection 922(t)(2) of title 18 requires that
f receipt of a firearm would not violate subsection 922(g) or (n) or State law,
the system shall—
(A) assign a unique identification number to the transfer;
(B) provide the licensee with the number; and
[I](C) destroy all records of the system with respect to the call (other
than the identifying number and the date the number was assigned)
and all records of the system relating to the person or the transfer."

http://www.justice.gov/olc/2005/nicsopinion.pdf

So no, buying a firearm does not put you on a government watch list like a FOID card does. They don't have to destroy FOID card records, but they DO have to destroy NICS records if the person is legally allowed to buy a firearm.

Unless, of course, you're one of those conspiracy theorists who think that they don't destroy the records, even though they're legally required too. But then that would just make you out to be even more of a moron, which also proves my point, but even better. :rofl:

But come on, lets keep going, proving you're a moron is fun and entertaining.

Fear Night
12-05-2012, 05:30
Actually, with a few exceptions, you can carry firearms openly - even handguns - in unincorporated areas, so this information isn't correct.
Did I say anything about Open Carry? Nope.

I said that Illinois does not issue Concealed Carry Permits, so, yes, my information is 100% correct.

Screw Open Carry. But that is a topic for another discussion ...

07 LMB Z06
12-05-2012, 07:03
and we can even have sbrs in Illinois now too

Link to details? This is exciting news if true.

glock_collector
12-06-2012, 06:18
C,mon guys...lets settle this with rock/paper sizzors...and quit yelling your giv'in me a headache!!

Peace Warrior
12-06-2012, 12:27
1.. 2.. 3..

scissors!