Shoeless NYC man isn't homeless after all [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shoeless NYC man isn't homeless after all

ca survivor
12-04-2012, 11:55
Shoeless NYC man isn't homeless after all

http://col.stb.s-msn.com/amnews/i/2B/8DEA62AE683A099E82ED006B28_h366_w650_m6_lfalse.jpg
NYPD. IMAGE: NYPD officer Larry DePrimo and Jeffrey Hillman

2 hr ago By MSN News
Jeffrey Hillman has an apartment in the Bronx paid for through a combination of federal Section 8 rent vouchers and Social Security disability and veterans benefits, city officials said.

The barefoot homeless man who received new boots from an NYPD police officer and became an online sensation (http://t.t.news.msn.com/us/nypd-officers-kindness-sparks-online-sensation) isnít actually homeless, according to a report by the New York Daily News.
The man, Jeffrey Hillman, has an apartment in the Bronx paid for through a combination of federal Section 8 rent vouchers and Social Security disability and veterans benefits, officials told the paper. Hillman has continued to panhandle on the streets, however, and reportedly has a history of refusing help from family and the government.

Dennis in MA
12-04-2012, 12:04
Whoops. Looks like he ain't gittin payd for his pichahtakinz. LOL

byf43
12-04-2012, 12:09
That would make me verrrrrrrrrrrrry :steamed::steamed::steamed:

mgs
12-04-2012, 12:23
Why am I surprised.....not.

Bren
12-04-2012, 14:36
But, how would this make a liberal feel?:dunno:

Oh wait, I know - a liberal would see that the guy is "homeless" by choice, pandhandling by choice and going barefoot appears to be part of his scam and the liberal would say: we're not doing enough for him.:rofl::rofl::steamed:

How would I know that? because the liberal wrote an article about it:
Shoes a start, but homeless need far more (http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/04/opinion/ghitis-homeless/index.html?hpt=hp_c1)
:steamed::upeyes:

ranger1968
12-04-2012, 14:38
Maybe he's not even really a homeless guy who's not really homeless....

Maybe he's Tantrix, working undercover.....:tongueout:

Berto
12-04-2012, 14:40
We should tax all the job creators so this kinda stuff goes away. I hate seeing people suffer on the streets, it makes my neighborhood look bad.

gwalchmai
12-04-2012, 14:51
I'm hearing lots of stories about this guy. One says he was banned from pro baseball for throwing a game. Another says that he's extremely well-organized... ;)

What No Gravy
12-04-2012, 14:57
Shoeless NYC man isn't homeless after all

http://col.stb.s-msn.com/amnews/i/2B/8DEA62AE683A099E82ED006B28_h366_w650_m6_lfalse.jpg
NYPD. IMAGE: NYPD officer Larry DePrimo and Jeffrey Hillman

2 hr ago By MSN News
Jeffrey Hillman has an apartment in the Bronx paid for through a combination of federal Section 8 rent vouchers and Social Security disability and veterans benefits, city officials said.

The barefoot homeless man who received new boots from an NYPD police officer and became an online sensation (http://t.t.news.msn.com/us/nypd-officers-kindness-sparks-online-sensation) isnít actually homeless, according to a report by the New York Daily News.
The man, Jeffrey Hillman, has an apartment in the Bronx paid for through a combination of federal Section 8 rent vouchers and Social Security disability and veterans benefits, officials told the paper. Hillman has continued to panhandle on the streets, however, and reportedly has a history of refusing help from family and the government.

Doesn't sound to me like he is refusing gov't help.

fnfalman
12-04-2012, 15:01
[Jeffrey Hillman has an apartment in the Bronx paid for through a combination of federal Section 8 rent vouchers and Social Security disability and veterans benefits, city officials said.

Sounds like he paid his due.

TBO
12-04-2012, 15:03
Cage The Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked - YouTube

KY Moose
12-04-2012, 15:05
Why am I not surprised?

Reminds me of a guy that panhandled the Route 1 area of Alexandria, VA a few years ago. He was out during the morning and evening rush and took the weekends and holidays off. I'm almost certain he was making more hourly than I was.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

aplcr0331
12-04-2012, 15:17
Wait, what? Things are not as they appear in the media? Hmmm...that is some crazy talk right there buddy.

dac1204
12-04-2012, 15:27

Na he wouldn't know anything about undercover operations.

TBO
12-04-2012, 15:30
Is the guy in question a shoeless/homeless professional MMA fighter?

What No Gravy
12-04-2012, 15:39
Still he isn't rejecting gov't help.

*ASH*
12-04-2012, 17:28
reminds of this dude who is always panhanding on overpass in Fayettenam , he has been there for years , everytime we go by there we look for him , kinda a game lol

one time we saw him pick up back pack walk over to some bushes and pulled out one of those 50 cc scooters!!!!! and off he went

Russ in PA
12-04-2012, 17:33
Wait, what? Things are not as they appear in the media? Hmmm...that is some crazy talk right there buddy.

Heh, heh....CLASSIC.

JAS104
12-04-2012, 17:33

Hehehehe I see what you did :supergrin:

JAS104
12-04-2012, 17:34
Is the guy in question a shoeless/homeless professional MMA fighter?

Who's also a Deputee? :whistling:

Wolfgang
12-04-2012, 18:05
I think I saw that guy on my last trip to NY. His feet were very calloused, like he never wore shoes. If I remember correctly he was at a cookie shop on the Ave of the Americas. He didn't look like he missed shoes. It was in March the day before St Patty's day parade.

NMGlocker
12-04-2012, 18:07
I bet the NYPD will start making his life a little tougher.
Time to enforce all those petty nuisance ordinances.

deputy tom
12-04-2012, 18:51
The Cop did what he thought was the right thing to do. The world is full of scammers. My fifth grade teacher told of a story in which a Russian boy would beg on the corner. He had a sore eye. The teacher saw the boy poking his own eye with a stick to keep it looking bad. Fast forward forty-five or so years. I see this guy begging at an intersection during the G-20 summit held in Pittsburgh. Sign says broke,need money, have to get back to Maryland. A year and a half later I still see him on that corner and think, heck I could have walked there by now. The next day at that same intersection but from a different angle I see this guy getting dropped off by his GF in a better looking car than I own. Confirmed SCAMMER. YMMV.tom.:steamed:

Kingarthurhk
12-04-2012, 18:54

Well, in that case, my father, a disabled Vietnam Vet, should have just given up and collected government cheese rather than making something of himself?:upeyes:

The man has busted his hump all his life and made himself into a success rather than a guy hanging out waiting for society to take care of him.

That's the difference.

DustyJacket
12-04-2012, 18:59
I'll bet the officer regrets the $100 he spent on those boots.

The 'homeless' guy said he hid the boots because they were valuable. (Bet he sold them.)
Some woman said she bought the guy shoes a year ago and he never wore them.

Some people cannot be helped.

*ASH*
12-04-2012, 19:03
maybe he is the real bigfoot :whistling::whistling:

Kingarthurhk
12-04-2012, 19:10

The 'homeless' guy said he hid the boots because they were valuable. (Bet he sold them.)

I bet he has mixed feeling on the subject. First, he probably feels taken by a guy who is financially better off than he is. But, he didn't know that, so he was probably operating off the principle of Matthew 25:31-46. Also, he is probably being tired of being ridiculed about it relentlessly at his shop as well.

Gallium
12-04-2012, 19:27
For starters, Shoeless is a lady, she is not homeless and is waaaay easier on the eyes, and is a member here. :)

Bren
12-05-2012, 03:59

I'd say the guy is a scam artist - he was back on the street without shoes again, because that's part of the scam he uses to panhandle.

sheriff733
12-05-2012, 07:41
This is why I never help panhandlers. I'm sure not going to come out of my pocket to help these "people". When I worked at the jail, I was working the booking room and we had a "homeless" guy come in that was trespassing and drunk in public. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember him having just under $4,000 cash in his pocket. He hadn't been to the bank that month to deposit his "earnings."

I asked him how he had that much cash, and he said he made over $40,000 last year panhandling all over the country. Lived in a government subsidized apartment and had no bills. Whatever he made on the street was all profit, tax free.

Now, I just arrest them. Gives them a place to stay and food to eat for a few days if they really are down on their luck. If they're not, jail is like a party at a club to them. Go in, eat free, hang out with their buddies, then back to working the street for tax free cash.

Repeat after they are released. Easy arrests since it's what they want anyways. Some will volunteer to go to jail out of sheer boredom.

Psychman
12-05-2012, 07:58
I'd say the guy is a scam artist - he was back on the street without shoes again, because that's part of the scam he uses to panhandle.

Agreed. He knows if he has no shoes OR socks on that people are more likely to give him money or buy him shoes that he can in turn sell. That still doesn't negate what the officer did though, but now the officer is a bit wiser to the ways of the world.

Psychman
12-05-2012, 08:03
Here in Indy we have certain areas (on/off ramps) where these people set up shop. Right now we have a young guy with his so called pregnant wife asking for money. They have been there for about 2 weeks now. She sits on the ground looking sad and he asks for money to help his pregnant wife. I don't know if I should yell at him for making his "pregnant" wife sit on the cold pavement or toss a couple of condoms at him.

Leigh
12-05-2012, 08:12
That still doesn't negate what the officer did though, but now the officer is a bit wiser to the ways of the world.

Exactly.

It's easy to focus on the negatives of the panhandler but life's too short for that.

The officer's kindness towards a stranger is what I'll remember.

Carrys
12-05-2012, 09:50

Hillman has continued to panhandle on the streets, however, and reportedly has a history of refusing help from family and the government.

I see, it sounds as if he's not some sort of scammer or even dead beat but just one of those people who refuses to take from their govt or their family. Just because the govt has given him an apt doesn't mean he lives there. I don't know how much help his family is able to provide but it sounds as if he's being condemed for not sticking his hand in the govt's pocket. In other words, ours.

And for that we deem him sort of kooky, eh?:shocked: