GLOCK author on the Bob Costas controversy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK author on the Bob Costas controversy

Paul Barrett
12-04-2012, 13:17
Glock Talkers may find this piece I just published of interest:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-04/bob-costas-guns-and-the-nra#r=hpt-fs

All best,
Paul Barrett
Author
GLOCK: The Rise of America's Gun
(An excellent X-mas stocking stuffer)

Psychman
12-04-2012, 13:26
Very nicely done sir. BTW, I already have your book!!

Chesafreak
12-04-2012, 13:34
In my opinion, all you did was point out that Bob Costas was foolish but you carefully avoided taking a stand. It seemed very neutral.

We don't have a gun problem in the United States. We have a social problem in which a culture glamorises gangster rap and conflicts are settled with a gun instead of words. Deduct the black on black murders and what's left wouldn't make the news, unless its a white on black crime of course. Of course stating this in the main stream media wouldn't be acceptable because some people can't accept the truth and would rather blame access to firearms instead of the people and culture who commit the act.

Every day in my local news site I read about shootings. I can tell you that at least where I live, the shootings are mostly black on black. You don't have people getting shot on a daily basis in mostly white neighborhoods. Just in the past week there have been multiple incidents of shootings because someone was disrespected at a house party. Gun legislation can't fix this. It takes community and family involvement and teaching better values.

I'm still waiting for an author to have the guts to say it publicly on a MSM site.

Berto
12-04-2012, 13:39
Costas operates on a sliding scale of civics, based mostly on what he thinks he can get away with. It didn't work well for "Restless Leg" Olberman, and likely will backfire on Costas as he continues to piss off normal hard working people not interested in his political BS.

Psychman
12-04-2012, 13:51
In my opinion, all you did was point out that Bob Costas was foolish but you carefully avoided taking a stand. It seemed very neutral.

We don't have a gun problem in the United States. We have a social problem in which a culture glamorises gangster rap and conflicts are settled with a gun instead of words. Deduct the black on black murders and what's left wouldn't make the news, unless its a white on black crime of course. Of course stating this in the main stream media wouldn't be acceptable because some people can't accept the truth and would rather blame access to firearms instead of the people and culture who commit the act.

Every day in my local news site I read about shootings. I can tell you that at least where I live, the shootings are mostly black on black. You don't have people getting shot on a daily basis in mostly white neighborhoods. Just in the past week there have been multiple incidents of shootings because someone was disrespected at a house party. Gun legislation can't fix this. It takes community and family involvement and teaching better values.

I'm still waiting for an author to have the guts to say it publicly on a MSM site.

Seems to me that you have alot to say on the subject. I encourage you to get published.

BTW, the article the author wrote was about Bob Costas and not the broader issues you described. Mr. Barrett clearly took a stand on the subject of his short article.

G36's Rule
12-04-2012, 14:03

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-04/bob-costas-guns-and-the-nra#r=hpt-fs

All best,
Paul Barrett
Author

Clear something up here, are you for more gun control or not? Your article is very ambiguous on your ideas other than that you feel Costa could have said it better.

Chesafreak
12-04-2012, 14:07
Seems to me that you have alot to say on the subject. I encourage you to get published.

BTW, the article the author wrote was about Bob Costas and not the broader issues you described. Mr. Barrett clearly took a stand on the subject of his short article.

I have publicly stated in person and online what I said above. I don't think that my short rant would make book publisher material. It would also quickly be denounced as racist despite the truth to it.

Mr. Barrett only reminded us of the rights guaranteed to us by the 2nd amendment and told us why you shouldn't offend gun owners because of our affection for guns. He simply stated the obvious while plugging his book. He didn't do anything to advance our 2nd amendment rights beyond reminding us that it exists. I'm sure that even anti's are aware of the 2nd amendment.

I haven't read his book. It may very well be a good read. But I see this article for what it is, a shameless plug on his book. Don't expect me to give him a standing ovation for doing so.

The problem with this kind of crude attack on America’s gun culture is that many Americans—tens of millions of law-abiding citizens—have affection for firearms. Whether Bob Costas likes it or not, guns are woven into the fabric of American history and society. (I’ve written a book (http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Americas-Paul-M-Barrett/dp/0307719936) that explores the topic through the story of the iconic Glock pistol.)

Glocksanity
12-04-2012, 14:53

I agree. However, Bloomberg Business week has an editor and an editorial policy. You can only say so much and keep your job.

Also, what makes you think an MSM site would allow the truth to be told?

Kevin108
12-04-2012, 15:12
The OP's link didn't scroll for me. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-04/bob-costas-guns-and-the-nra

The message from Costas and this article is clear: we must ban murder and suicide. :upeyes:

mrmedina
12-04-2012, 15:34
Mr. Barrett, Thank you for the article and thank you for the jumping into the fight.

concretefuzzynuts
12-04-2012, 15:42
The OP's link didn't scroll for me. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-04/bob-costas-guns-and-the-nra

The message from Costas and this article is clear: we must ban murder and suicide. :upeyes:

There should be laws against such.

Dennis in MA
12-04-2012, 17:41
That isn't a Glock. Lol

janice6
12-04-2012, 18:15
Even totally eliminating guns will not prevent the inherent instabilities of some segment of the population.

Best work on the population, not the objects they choose to use to break existing laws.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-04-2012, 18:48

All best,
Paul Barrett
Author

Don't forget the funniest part of all this. The NFL linebacker in no way needed a gun to murder her. He could have used his bare hands. Or a knife. Or gloves that didn't fit.

Kingarthurhk
12-04-2012, 18:51
Humans have been killing other humans en masse before there was ever a firearm, and still do. The recently bow and arrow/knife murder suicide come readily to mind.