TBO
12-04-2012, 14:59
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=166486918

Glocksanity
12-04-2012, 15:17
Cool.

TBO
12-04-2012, 15:32
Should help smaller cellular companies compete with the big boys (a win for the consumer).

TK-421
12-04-2012, 15:34
At least the smaller carriers is paying for it, instead of the government making them give it to them for free.

Brucev
12-04-2012, 15:41
Sometimes they get it right. This time... they got it right. Cool.

Glocksanity
12-04-2012, 15:45
Choice is good. Oligopolies price fixing, not so good.

Hummer
12-04-2012, 15:54
Verizon and AT&T function much like monopolies, enjoying unfettered profits often to the disadvantage of large consumer segments. The people have an interest in keeping communications as open and accessible as possible.

Case in point, Verizon is widespread here but in large areas of rural CO they have ended agreements with other carriers shutting down cell service. I used to be able to call from my elk hunting areas in the mountains but now can't even connect to 911, even though there are towers still covering the area. It's a safety issue that affects tens of thousands of people. Maybe this will reopen communications.

TK-421
12-04-2012, 16:09
I definitely think competition is a good thing, maybe it will cause Verizon to actually charge affordable prices. It's always interesting how Verizon will charge $100+ for services other companies are charging $60-80 for.

kenpoprofessor
12-04-2012, 16:20
Verizon and AT&T function much like monopolies, enjoying unfettered profits often to the disadvantage of large consumer segments. The people have an interest in keeping communications as open and accessible as possible.

Case in point, Verizon is widespread here but in large areas of rural CO they have ended agreements with other carriers shutting down cell service. I used to be able to call from my elk hunting areas in the mountains but now can't even connect to 911, even though there are towers still covering the area. It's a safety issue that affects tens of thousands of people. Maybe this will reopen communications.

Gosh, I wonder what people did in the Elk hunting area before cell phones??? It's not a safety issue, it's a "don't be stupid" issue.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

OdinIII
12-04-2012, 16:31
Gosh, I wonder what people did in the Elk hunting area before cell phones??? It's not a safety issue, it's a "don't be stupid" issue.
Clyde

Sometimes they died because they couldn't help themselves or reach someone else that could help them.
Even people that aren't stupid require help sometimes.

TBO
12-04-2012, 16:32
You'd almost have to be stupid to need to have that explained to you.

Hummer
12-04-2012, 16:47

ClydePoint taken, but what people did back in the day is just what I and hundreds of other area hunters did this year. If we needed to make a call, emergency or otherwise, we drove an hour or more to a phone booth, or maybe into cell range.

Gosh, what did people do before telephone lines and phone booths? Sometimes accidents happen, even to folks who don't act stupidly. And, sometimes people suffer serious consequences, injury or death for lack of prompt care. So, it certainly is a safety issue, and one that comes at considerable expense to the consumer public while the big carriers play monopoly games.

We live in 2012, not 1912. Cell phones are a fact of life, and as I said, we already have widespread coverage but due to the avoidance of competition by the major carriers, service has been shut off.

Fwiw, the lower cost and smaller size of sat phones makes them more attractive to back country hunters. I may get one this year. Cell phone carriers would do well to become more competitive sooner rather than later.

Have a great gun carryin' Kung Fu day! :wavey:

jpa
12-04-2012, 17:08
The towers and equipment belong to the carriers but the airwaves and frequencies they operate on belong to the public. I agree they should be allowed to charge the smaller carriers for using their equipment but they don't get to keep a monopoly on the frequencies used by that equipment. It's the net neutrality of the cell phone networks....

Dennis in MA
12-04-2012, 17:26
Maybe we're going too far off track, but why do elk need cell phones, or even pay phones, in the first place?

SMOKEin
12-04-2012, 17:29
I definitely think competition is a good thing, maybe it will cause Verizon to actually charge affordable prices. It's always interesting how Verizon will charge $100+ for services other companies are charging $60-80 for.

Well, you can't have it both ways. If you want nation wide service, companies have to deploy equipment. The companies that deploy equipment, generally speaking, provide better service and in return, charge more to cover the cost of installations.

I surprised the people posting so far believe a large successful company should have to share their successes to help small companies succeed, without their own investments.

true believer
12-04-2012, 17:47

Clyde

was on the fence but not any more!!
happy kenpo day:whistling:

TBO
12-04-2012, 17:52
Sharing is good for the environment, less ugly towers put up.

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

kenpoprofessor
12-04-2012, 17:54
Point taken, but what people did back in the day is just what I and hundreds of other area hunters did this year. If we needed to make a call, emergency or otherwise, we drove an hour or more to a phone booth, or maybe into cell range.

Gosh, what did people do before telephone lines and phone booths? Sometimes accidents happen, even to folks who don't act stupidly. And, sometimes people suffer serious consequences, injury or death for lack of prompt care. So, it certainly is a safety issue, and one that comes at considerable expense to the consumer public while the big carriers play monopoly games.

We live in 2012, not 1912. Cell phones are a fact of life, and as I said, we already have widespread coverage but due to the avoidance of competition by the major carriers, service has been shut off.

Fwiw, the lower cost and smaller size of sat phones makes them more attractive to back country hunters. I may get one this year. Cell phone carriers would do well to become more competitive sooner rather than later.

Have a great gun carryin' Kung Fu day! :wavey:

And that's where I was going, you can always upgrade to a better system, or even invent one. If you think it's a safety issue, then solve the problem and quit expecting others to do it for you.

Clyde

syntaxerrorsix
12-04-2012, 17:54
Still can't find the authority to create the FCC.

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 17:57
Maybe we're going too far off track, but why do elk need cell phones, or even pay phones, in the first place?

Pandora

jpa
12-04-2012, 18:26

We're not even talking about voice communication, but data. How many of those elk bought a fancy new Ipad and can't use it because Verizon won't share their data network with cricket? They deserve to be served too!

Well, you can't have it both ways. If you want nation wide service, companies have to deploy equipment. The companies that deploy equipment, generally speaking, provide better service and in return, charge more to cover the cost of installations.

I surprised the people posting so far believe a large successful company should have to share their successes to help small companies succeed, without their own investments.

Those companies are using a public resource (radio frequencies) for a profit. Much like competing companies using the same electrical grid or phone system (or the internet backbones), it's a shared resource that no matter how much money they invest, will never be wholly owned by them (nor should it be).

syntaxerrorsix
12-04-2012, 18:39
We're not even talking about voice communication, but data. How many of those elk bought a fancy new Ipad and can't use it because Verizon won't share their data network with cricket? They deserve to be served too!

Those companies are using a public resource (radio frequencies) for a profit. Much like competing companies using the same electrical grid or phone system (or the internet backbones), it's a shared resource that no matter how much money they invest, will never be wholly owned by them (nor should it be).

You mean like oil?

SMOKEin
12-04-2012, 19:38

This has nothing to do with spectrum, the FCC sells blocks of spectrum's to providers.This is about one company investing tens on millions of dollars in infrastructure, and the government tell them that they must turn around and use that network to handle the traffic of the competition.

Your example of the "phone system being a shared resource" is somewhat confusing. What resource are they sharing, other than those created by the phone company?

This is nothing more than the stepping stone of a Telecommunications Act of 1996, part deux.

Drain You
12-04-2012, 22:52
Should help smaller cellular companies compete with the big boys (a win for the consumer).

I'll be right along helping them on the 16th. Already have 1 line on Straight Talk :D