Home Invasion and Deaths [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasion and Deaths

MGGLOCK9
12-04-2012, 15:34
The link describes a random but well planned home invasion-5 seconds for the invader to get to the bedroom! Can this teach us something-like use your alarm system?

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/21005848/article-Officials-confirm-suspect-in-Alaska-barista-death-killed-Vermont-couple

Paul_J
12-04-2012, 15:40
I have thought about just how quickly this all can happen. It takes a bit to wake up from a deep sleep and be able to react appropriately as well

I have two dogs that bark at the sound of the wind blowing. You can tell a very distinct difference in the intensity of their bark when someone is outside the house. I would like to think that 1.) It would give me a good enough heads up and 2.) The dogs would hinder or deter their progress.

RonS
12-04-2012, 16:54
Years ago when Jeff Cooper was still alive he described how his home was laid out to allow time to react to such an event. Some people on GT thought he was a paranoid old man.

Glad I'm poor, next best thing to being prepared is to have nothing worth stealing.

boozer
12-04-2012, 16:59
He would have had to kill me in my house.

No way I'm getting cuffed and driven to a kill site.

The extended screws in the door jamb, the dogs, the alarm, and all the other stuff, won't stop a "blitz" attack, but may give you more than six seconds worth of warning.

concretefuzzynuts
12-04-2012, 17:09
There was a home invasion around here right at dusk. The family was watching TV and they didn't even hear the intruders come in. They had been in the home for several minutes and the family only noticed them leaving with their ill gotten booty.

vtducrider
Crazy nut job, and what a piece of trash Keyes was. I can't believe this happened near me. I work in the town that the couple's home is in. I honestly don't know what I would have done if I was attacked at my house. I have young kids too... This is really unsettling.

Little Joe
Send it to Costas.

Shark1007
12-04-2012, 17:56
Cooper was a hoot, he referred to bad guys as "goblins" as I recall. He was really a pioneer, his four rules of gun safety live on.

devildog2067
12-04-2012, 18:04
Part of the reason I purchased the home I did is due to the layout. Concrete slab floors and ceilings, and the only entrance is as far from the master bedroom as you can get. Unless someone wants to Spider-man up the outside of the building (I'm on the 4th floor) they're not getting to me in 5 seconds.

On another level though--as much as we prepare, the reality is that there's no real defense against being the target of a random psychopath. If someone with a scoped rifle snapped one day and decided to shoot someone, and you happened to be unlucky enough to be the person that got picked, how would you defend against that?

You do what you can, make the preparations you can make, and don't worry about the rest.

tsmo1066
12-04-2012, 18:15
A retired NYPD Investigator once told me "Never, never, NEVER let an attacker take you somewhere. Not even if he has a gun and is holding a loved one hostage. Go for broke and risk it all, including your family, because the only reason he wants to take you somewhere is so he can do things to you and your loved ones that he can't do to you wherever you are - things that take time...days, even weeks. In a situation like that, your only choice is whether you want to die fighting, or die helplessly after watching your family being tortured and raped at length."

I hope to God I never have to put his advice to the test...

Rotn1
12-04-2012, 18:31
A retired NYPD Investigator once told me "Never, never, NEVER let an attacker take you somewhere. Not even if he has a gun and is holding a loved one hostage. Go for broke and risk it all, including your family, because the only reason he wants to take you somewhere is so he can do things to you and your loved ones that he can't do to you wherever you are - things that take time...days, even weeks. In a situation like that, your only choice is whether you want to die fighting, or die helplessly after watching your family being tortured and raped at length."

I hope to God I never have to put his advice to the test...

Me too.
Tough to think about, but important to never forget.

Kingarthurhk
12-04-2012, 19:06
I lived in a town where home invasions would happen durring the day with groups that wore bullet proof vests. At the time we had a two story house. I told my wife that if it happened, get up the stairs and grab the AR. Shoot anything comming up the stairwell. The .223 rounds would make some holes in those vests and the stairwell would make an excellent kill zone for them to try to funnel up.

MrGlock21
12-05-2012, 00:12
Unless somebody runs a bulldozer or truck through the wall, it wont happen in 5 secondes in my house at night. There are too many 'obstacles' to get it done in 5 seconds.