God bless the U.S. Government! Specifically, the post office... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : God bless the U.S. Government! Specifically, the post office...

Annoyedgrunt
12-04-2012, 19:57
My parents moved to England to retire this past year. They grew up there, and I guess they missed it.

Anyway, Christmas is here and the Mrs. and I wanted to send them a parcel of things that were hard to get or not available at all in England. My dad wanted some Champion socks and Dave's hot sauce; my mom wanted some Swiffer pads, pistachios and Pirate Booty popcorn. Just miscellaneous crap that you miss if you move and you can't get it anymore.

So I load this stuff into a cardboard box and take it to UPS. It is the closest delivery place to our house, and well, I assumed that they (UPS, Fedex, et al) all pretty much charged the same.

Dude at the counter weighs the box (~22 lbs), asks where it's going (England) and tells me that their shipping rates START at $391. Not next-day air, not express... that was their starting price. After a combination of literally choking on my own rage and laughing out loud, I told the guy there was no way in hell I was paying that damned much, gathered my stuff and left.

Next stop, Fedex. Their rates were marginally better; they only wanted $300. I was getting discouraged by this point, and bewildered. They were acting like I wanted to ship a freaking Stradivarius or a Ming vase, not popcorn and socks. :dunno:

I was thinking that I'd just hold onto the stuff for them until March, when they're coming to visit. Almost as an afterthought, I stopped at the USPS on the way back, expecting to hear the same exorbitant rates. Imagine my surprise when the lady quoted me $69!

I asked her "Do you know how much UPS was wanting to charge me, for this same box? $391. You people just made my day!"

She said "Yeah, they seem to charge a lot more, and you know what the worst thing is? For international shipping, they'll just come and drop it off at our loading dock, and we ship it for them."

I've never been more shocked and appalled at such sheer highway robbery as demonstrated by UPS. They were just going to take my $391, drop it off at the USPS, and pocket the difference. They're dead to me as a company now; it's just as well that their company color is brown, because they ain't worth a ****. :steamed:

GT4494
12-04-2012, 20:05
So the USPS is subsidized by the taxpayer by at least $322 to ship your package. :tongueout:

Phaze5ive
12-04-2012, 20:06
Maybe the $69 rate is why the USPS is unable to stay afloat financially.

TK-421
12-04-2012, 20:15
Doesn't surprise me. There's a reason why I never use UPS or FedEx to ship something. They are just way too damned expensive. There have been times where UPS is three or four times what USPS wants, but I've never had anything as bad as what you got. I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother with UPS or FedEx anymore, I just go straight to USPS. The other nice part is that with UPS, you never know when they're coming. They could come around as early as 10am, or as late as 7pm. But with USPS, it always gets there when your mail gets there, and postal people are generally pretty good about arriving around the same time.

Back when I lived in Illinois, I knew my mail always got there between 12:30pm and 1:30pm. UPS? Usually got there between 6pm and 7pm. That, along with the fact that if I used USPS Priority, it got to the place I sent it within two days. UPS would take 4 or 5. So more expensive, and it takes longer to get there? Yeah, uh, no. Thanks UPS, but no thanks.

F14Scott
12-04-2012, 20:21
At $69 for 22 lbs. to go 4000 miles across an ocean, the post office is losing money on every transaction.

But, as is evidenced by their losing $8 billion each year, they are clearly making up the losses in volume.

Annoyedgrunt
12-04-2012, 20:21
Doesn't surprise me. There's a reason why I never use UPS or FedEx to ship something. They are just way too damned expensive. There have been times where UPS is three or four times what USPS wants, but I've never had anything as bad as what you got. I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother with UPS or FedEx anymore, I just go straight to USPS. The other nice part is that with UPS, you never know when they're coming. They could come around as early as 10am, or as late as 7pm. But with USPS, it always gets there when your mail gets there, and postal people are generally pretty good about arriving around the same time.

Back when I lived in Illinois, I knew my mail always got there between 12:30pm and 1:30pm. UPS? Usually got there between 6pm and 7pm. That, along with the fact that if I used USPS Priority, it got to the place I sent it within two days. UPS would take 4 or 5. So more expensive, and it takes longer to get there? Yeah, uh, no. Thanks UPS, but no thanks.

UPS has just generally gone down the drain with deliveries, too. Back in the day, they'd ring the doorbell and you'd have to sign for your package.

Then, they didn't require you to sign for it.

Then, they'd ring the doorbell and leave it on the doorstep, didn't matter if you answered the door or not.

Now, they just drop it on the doorstep and leave, without ringing or anything. I'm with you, man. USPS from here on out.

Annoyedgrunt
12-04-2012, 20:25

At $69 for 22 lbs. to go 4000 miles across an ocean, the post office is losing money on every transaction.

But, as is evidenced by their losing $8 billion each year, they are clearly making up the losses in volume.

My parents sent us a box about a month ago. Weighed about the same, was full of Cadbury chocolate that you can't get over here, and various other odds and ends. Their price to ship it to us? 40, or ~$60. If the USPS is losing money on shipments like this, then I guess England's postal system is, too. :dunno:

TK-421
12-04-2012, 20:39
UPS has just generally gone down the drain with deliveries, too. Back in the day, they'd ring the doorbell and you'd have to sign for your package.

Then, they didn't require you to sign for it.

Then, they'd ring the doorbell and leave it on the doorstep, didn't matter if you answered the door or not.

Now, they just drop it on the doorstep and leave, without ringing or anything. I'm with you, man. USPS from here on out.

I even have a more recent experience with UPS, although I was impressed that they delivered it at like 12:30PM, when I wasn't expecting it until after 5PM. I ordered ammo online, UPS said it would arrive at my house on thursday, and since it was ammo, they wanted me to sign for it. Well I knew I would be out of the house all day thursday, so I went online to try and change the delivery date to Friday, when I knew I'd be home, since I figured it'd be better to do that than to waste the delivery guy's time when nobody would be home to sign for the package. UPS wanted to charge me $5 to change the shipping date. I'm sorry, $5 when I'm trying to do you a courtesy and save you money? Yeah, uh, no thanks. I'll just let you waste your time, since you don't charge me for that.

NeverMore1701
12-04-2012, 20:43
I've been much more impressed with USPS over the last year or so, stuff gets where it's going faster, cheaper, and incoming gets here around noon instead of 8pm. It'll be a shame when they go under.

Slug71
12-04-2012, 21:19

Probably. USPS International shipping has doubled over the last couple of years though. If not more.

Slug71
12-04-2012, 21:33
I've been much more impressed with USPS over the last year or so, stuff gets where it's going faster, cheaper, and incoming gets here around noon instead of 8pm. It'll be a shame when they go under.

Agreed.

I wish that the USPS would learn something from the New Zealand postal service. Besides the usual things that can be bought at the post office, they also sell post cards, wrapping paper/gift bags and have a birthday/greeting card stand and usually also sell small gift items.

In 2001 they also began their own banking service. They offered lower interest rates on loans and higher rates on savings accounts than most other banks which saw many people switch to them. Since no Credit Union is nation wide in the States(at least as far as walk-in branches goes), it would be awesome if they went that route. That's the main reason I have not closed my BOA account.

stolenphot0
12-04-2012, 21:46
Last package I had shipped to my house via USPS came from Florida, went 2 hours north of my town to Toledo, then to Michigan, then back to Cincinnati, then back north an hour to me. Took 6 days in transit instead of the 2-3 Priority Mail it was supposed to.

Flip side. Just last week I needed to overnight something. Weighed two pounds. Ohio to Louisiana, residential delivery. I checked UPS because I would need to make sure it got there. UPS wanted $91 and USPS wanted around $27.

The secret to UPS is they get big corporations signed to cheap shipping deals. My mom works for a major insurance company. They only have the option to ship 1 day air. To overnight a package from Indy to Dayton, that weighed 6lbs cost my mom $7. It cost the small company I used to work for $30+ for 3pm next day. They pass the savings onto the huge corporations and the smaller guys get shafted.

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 21:54
My parents moved to England to retire this past year. They grew up there, and I guess they missed it.

Anyway, Christmas is here and the Mrs. and I wanted to send them a parcel of things that were hard to get or not available at all in England. My dad wanted some Champion socks and Dave's hot sauce; my mom wanted some Swiffer pads, pistachios and Pirate Booty popcorn. Just miscellaneous crap that you miss if you move and you can't get it anymore.

So I load this stuff into a cardboard box and take it to UPS. It is the closest delivery place to our house, and well, I assumed that they (UPS, Fedex, et al) all pretty much charged the same.

Dude at the counter weighs the box (~22 lbs), asks where it's going (England) and tells me that their shipping rates START at $391. Not next-day air, not express... that was their starting price. After a combination of literally choking on my own rage and laughing out loud, I told the guy there was no way in hell I was paying that damned much, gathered my stuff and left.

Next stop, Fedex. Their rates were marginally better; they only wanted $300. I was getting discouraged by this point, and bewildered. They were acting like I wanted to ship a freaking Stradivarius or a Ming vase, not popcorn and socks. :dunno:

I was thinking that I'd just hold onto the stuff for them until March, when they're coming to visit. Almost as an afterthought, I stopped at the USPS on the way back, expecting to hear the same exorbitant rates. Imagine my surprise when the lady quoted me $69!

I asked her "Do you know how much UPS was wanting to charge me, for this same box? $391. You people just made my day!"

She said "Yeah, they seem to charge a lot more, and you know what the worst thing is? For international shipping, they'll just come and drop it off at our loading dock, and we ship it for them."

I've never been more shocked and appalled at such sheer highway robbery as demonstrated by UPS. They were just going to take my $391, drop it off at the USPS, and pocket the difference. They're dead to me as a company now; it's just as well that their company color is brown, because they ain't worth a ****. :steamed:

Good deal for ya. Remember that when you're taxed to bail out their pension.