ADT home security and police permit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ADT home security and police permit

17119jfkioe
12-04-2012, 21:12
My girlfriend got an ADT system installed in her parents house and it has been nothing but trouble with the company (thats a whole different story) She recently found out that she needs to get some sort of security permit from the local PD in case they need to respond to a call. Do any LEO's know of this permit? Is it to enter the house if needed or just to show up on location? Her parents live in stockton CA (I know)

Another related question, what is the response time for a house alarm call? Remember Stockton is BANKRUPT and the police force has been cut significantly. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks:wavey:

KY Moose
12-04-2012, 21:25
Not in California, but my county does the same program. The fee is something like fifty bucks. In addition, you get three false alarm responses and anything after that results in a fine. IMHO, it's a good idea and cuts down on false alarm responses.

As for ADT, I've not had any issues with their equipment or services for the past three years.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Peace Warrior
12-04-2012, 21:34
Through no fault of their own, when seconds count, the Police are always minutes away.

HollowHead
12-04-2012, 21:53
I have a security system from Kenco only because the cost of the system and it's annual monitoring is much less than the break I get from my insurance company in premiums, so it pays for itself. I get three false alarms and then get charged by local LEO for the response with no "permit" fee. I had one falsie years ago when the car hood I was painting started to turn on it's hanger wire when the forced-air heat kicked on. HH

ranger1968
12-04-2012, 21:57
Some places have a an "alarm ordinance" that require you, by code, to have a "permit" to have a monitored alarm system;

It's basically a revenue generator for the city, like most permits....

srhoades
12-04-2012, 22:26
I used to work as a 911 dispatcher for a large county. 99% of the alarm calls are false. Of the 1% that are legitimate 99% of those resulted in the officer showing up, seeing the door kicked in and basically saying, "Yep, there was a break in."

The only security system that made the officers pay any attention was by a company called Sonitrol, because the alarm is silent and they have audio feeds to hear what is going on.

JBUS
12-04-2012, 22:51
My girlfriend got an ADT system installed in her parents house and it has been nothing but trouble with the company (thats a whole different story) She recently found out that she needs to get some sort of security permit from the local PD in case they need to respond to a call. Do any LEO's know of this permit? Is it to enter the house if needed or just to show up on location? Her parents live in stockton CA (I know)

Another related question, what is the response time for a house alarm call? Remember Stockton is BANKRUPT and the police force has been cut significantly. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks:wavey:

Why not call Stockton PD's alarm unit/bureau?

Here where I work north of Stockton, my department has an alarm unit. Some audible or silent alarms I go to,the text of the call states "no permit."

I could care less if the business or residence has or does not have an alarm permit. I still respond and still treat it as an alarm and handle accordingly.

In regards to response time. Depends on calls for service at the time plus driving time where officer/deputy is. Not too mention how short units that particular district/beat is.

CAcop
12-04-2012, 23:01
Call SPD for details.

I know we put them pretty low priorty. It can take as much as few hours for us when busy. I would suspect SPD might take a few hours when slow. I grew up there. It was a ****hole then. Now they have the same number of cops they had when the population was half of what it is now.

99% of alarms are false. Usually some retard sets it off then leaves or they fail to lock the doors after setting the alarm. When it is legit they are long gone even if we get there within a few minutes. Remember there is a built in delay at the alarm company. The alarm goes off. The comapny calls the site. If the proper code is not given we are called. Then our call taker take sthe call and passes it onto our dispatcher who places it in the line of calls to be sent out. Then we get dispatched. Our beats are gigantic so it could take 20 minutes in traffic even if I am in my car driving around doing nothing.

davew83
12-04-2012, 23:09
The only security system that made the officers pay any attention was by a company called Sonitrol, because the alarm is silent and they have audio feeds to hear what is going on.

Many systems if not all now have the audio feedback option (ADT did when I worked for them 8 years ago) As far as silent that is possible also

*ASH*
12-05-2012, 00:38
NO offense make your own security system set up . dont rely on some bull**** company . AND as for police well crimes take minutes , waiting on LEO takes many many minutes

protect your own , nobody else will

check this out , other night im sure it was drunk driver ,swerving and running off road , so i did what i never do I CALLED THE PO LICE . i just did not want someone to get killed .dialed 911 went to our sheriffs dept , told them green truck , the road , i was following it . i get this

" well out there its highway patrol problem , wait i will patch you through " 10 minutes on the phone holding i said **** it and hung up

janice6
12-05-2012, 00:58
My company had a professional Security Company install a fancy, expensive system at a remote, Military security, site. Had so many false alarms the Sheriff said if it wasn't tamed down they would not respond.

Removed half of the system and significantly lowered the detection thresholds before it was acceptable to the Sheriff. My company had to accept the low security protection, to get any protection at all.

The proximity detection systems are problematic.

Officer X
12-05-2012, 04:12

Our township has an 'alarm ordinance' requiring alarms to be registered. If a response is sent to your house for an alarm call and they find out yours is not, they (the township) will send you a bill. More than 3 false alarm calls to your house in a 6 month period and they (the township, not the PD) will fine you. We have had some problem houses that have had 20+ responses in a 6 month period because of alarm system issues.

About 97-98% of our alarm calls are false, so they are low priority and we respond when we have available officers. If we are busy with other calls, sometimes there have been nights with 2+ hour response times (unless we get a call that someone is actually on premise, then we'll bump up the priority). Some residents don't like that as the alarm company sells them on the "police will respond immediately" line.

boomhower
12-05-2012, 08:47
Where I work there are no permits or anything. You get three false alarms a year and it's $25 a pop after that. Our response time in typically three minutes or less other than during very busy times which I would venture to say is as short as your going to find anywhere. Even with that response time the number of thiefs caught in the act is extraordinarily low. The largest reason is because we are not who the alarm companies call first. They usually call the homeowner first. When there is a five minute delay before the call even gets to the PD your just wasting you money. If you have one installed make sure law enforcement is the first one call. Also get a camera. As I said, they are almost never caught in the act as they are tyically smash and grabs. Cameras give something to go on.

17119jfkioe
12-05-2012, 21:49
Thanks guys for all the replies. Ill call the SPD myself and see whats going on. I got this info from my girlfriend.

md2lgyk
12-06-2012, 07:28
check this out , other night im sure it was drunk driver ,swerving and running off road , so i did what i never do I CALLED THE PO LICE . i just did not want someone to get killed .dialed 911 went to our sheriffs dept , told them green truck , the road , i was following it . i get this

" well out there its highway patrol problem , wait i will patch you through " 10 minutes on the phone holding i said **** it and hung up

Actually, that doesn't surprise me. The Sheriff's Departments here are not by law required to work traffic, so many don't.

As for security systems, I've had them in three or four of the houses I've owned. Never once was there a real alarm - 100% were accidental. Where I live now, police or medical response time would be at least 30 minutes, possibly longer. So if I ever get another system, it won't be monitored.

md2lgyk
12-06-2012, 07:35
Deleted - duplicate post.

ray9898
12-06-2012, 07:50
I think it is about time for LE to reevaluate their role in alarms. I think it is to the point the cost outweighs the benefits. The largest study I am aware of was conducted by LAPD. It concluded officers spent nearly 20% of their time dealing with alarms and 95% were found to be false.

JBUS
12-06-2012, 15:03
I think it is about time for LE to reevaluate their role in alarms. I think it is to the point the cost outweighs the benefits. The largest study I am aware of was conducted by LAPD. It concluded officers spent nearly 20% of their time dealing with alarms and 95% were found to be false.

We have briefing discussions about this and we spend a majority of our time at alarm calls.

Frankly I don't care about the time spent. The person puts an alarm in and it's my job to respond.

I have been assigned to patrol going on 8 years, my fiancée has been assigned for 10 years.

We can count only a handful of times that we have responses to alarms and showed up to actually find someone inside or bailing out the back.