Buying a Rifle this weekend need some advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Rifle this weekend need some advice

JDennis
12-04-2012, 23:07
I currently own a old .22lr bolt action and built a dedicated ar-15 based .22lr for my fun gun. I am wanting to pick up a rifle this weekend to keep around for nephews to target shoot and for ground hogs. I am torn between a stainless marlin 60 or a ruger take down .22lr. I have zero experience with the marlin or ruger 10/22. The Marlin is about 65.00 cheaper than the ruger since the ruger is the TD model which isn't a huge deal. But if I go ruger I would prefer the take down since its available. Doing my net "research" it seams to be the chevy/ford debate. If i wanted to own both in the rifles like I currently do the cars, I would get both rifles but only need one. What would be the way the go? Both seem reliable but really want something that can have thousands and thousands of rounds through it and hold up like my old Winchester 52B.

JimBianchi
12-04-2012, 23:53
I vote 1022.

Infinite possibilities.

And no matter how many rounds you shoot, it will last several lifetimes.

slainer
12-05-2012, 10:06
Bought a Marlin 60 last year.. Sold it this year!! Going with a 10/22 next week! No comparison! Infinite add ons! Better quality!
Slainer

vafish
12-06-2012, 08:42
I prefer the model 60 if you are not planning on modifying it. ( and why would you modify the takedown version?)

Marlin also makes a takedown semiauto. It is called the papoose or model 70PSS

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

21Brutus
12-06-2012, 09:13
I have the Marlin 60 but would go with the 10/22 take down myself...too many additional things can be done if you are so inclined in the future.

Arvinator
12-06-2012, 09:51
I own a Marlin Model 60 and a Ruger 10-22. I think you need to buy which ever one feels good to you and you can afford to buy plenty of ammo. If you need a rifle for compact carrying, by all means get the Ruger. I am thinking of a take-down Ruger one day just for that factor.
Personally, I do not add on anything past a scope. A .22 rifle is just that, a .22 rifle.

cesaros
12-06-2012, 10:02
ruger 10/22 is a solid choice, I love mine...and have never heard anything negative about the 'Take Down'.

JDennis
12-08-2012, 09:12
Well I just ended up buying both lol The Marlin seems to be more accurate than the t/d but the sights on the Marlin are way better (has the caged hi viz front). I was just going to go with the T/D but stopped by my local Walmart to pick up some .22lr before going to the range and took another look at the Marlin 60SB. It had a few minor dings in the stock and a small scratch on the receiver and the guy behind the counter said they should have 2 more of them in the back. I was just checking it out but he was adamant on checking and the dinged one was the only one they had. Then he told me if I bought that one he would discount it for me. Needless to say it was a deal I couldn't refuse for such minor imperfections, so it came home with me. I am sure it will get a few more small dings from critter hunting.

JFrame
12-08-2012, 09:36
Well I just ended up buying both lol

Well -- that always solves the dilemma of "which one"... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/big_standart/biggrin.gif

Arvinator
12-08-2012, 12:09
Good for you! My Ruger is NOT the take down version, and I scoped it several years ago. My Marlin has the factory sights and I am well pleased with them both.

I think you made a very wise choice in getting both! Now I suggest you buy several boxes of good hollowpoints, and I like the Stinger and Mini-Mags for hunting purposes and cheap stuff by the bricks for general shooting.
if I HAD to, I'd use the "Cheap stuff" for what ever reason I needed....