Actually enjoyed my flight today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Actually enjoyed my flight today...

HollowHead
12-04-2012, 23:22
Flew from DIA Denver to LGA New York sitting next to Nelson DeMille this morning. Fascinating gentleman. HH

TKM
12-04-2012, 23:44
Winner of the best flight of the day award.

That sounds pretty cool. Did you chill or go all fanboy?

:supergrin:

TK-421
12-05-2012, 00:04
Ooh man, I don't envy you, having to spend time in New York. There's a reason it becomes a prison colony in the future, the citizens there are already used to it. :tongueout:

Yes technically it's Manhattan and not the entirety of New York, and yes it's technically in the past, but let a man have his joke. :supergrin:

Gallium
12-05-2012, 04:47
Flew from DIA Denver to LGA New York sitting next to Nelson DeMille this morning. Fascinating gentleman. HH

Just mother****ing DAMN! That right there is cool. Demille is one of my favorite fictional authors.

The Lion's Game? Great read.

The Lion? Like crack addicted to crack.

How long are you here? :)

Dennis in MA
12-05-2012, 07:17
No way!

Funny is that a flight is very similar to a Nelson Demille book. There is a big beginning (takeoff). 300 pages of bumping along with some suspense (turbulence, hot stew, booze) and then in the last 1/10th of the experience, ALL the action happens and it ends rather abruptly.

How did you know it was Nelson Demille? How was flying first class?

Dennis in MA
12-05-2012, 07:18
Just mother****ing DAMN! That right there is cool. Demille is one of my favorite fictional authors.

Why? You wanna touch the hand that touched Nelson DeMille? :rofl:

Like hunchbacks to Lourdes. . .

Gallium
12-05-2012, 08:24
Why? You wanna touch the hand that touched Nelson DeMille? :rofl:

Like hunchbacks to Lourdes. . .

Beyonce, The only reason your husband let you post is because of me. Don't blow yer cover. :tongueout:

DanaT
12-05-2012, 08:57
It is interesting some of the people you meet on airplanes. You meet some "famous" people (and actually some celebrities too) but also some very interesting people.

On my flight last week from Newark to DIA, he was no-one famous (and by GT opinionI would NEVER talk to him) but it was a good conversation for a few hours. Basically, paths crossed and I was able to help him out with a charity that he is running. I happened to know someone who supported what he was doing.

Talk to the people next to you on the plane. Sometimes they can be very interesting.

LAX is a good airport to fly in and out of if you want to sit next to famous people.

3glkdog
12-05-2012, 10:19
I saw Mike Farrell aka Captain BJ Hunnicutt at LAX once.

Gallium
12-05-2012, 10:22
I have ...from Sunday to Sunday of this week, if memory and math serves me correct... 8 flights, 23k miles, all within the One World alliance. I like talking to myself on the plane. It helps to suppress the inside voices.

2bgop
12-05-2012, 11:42
I have ...from Sunday to Sunday of this week, if memory and math serves me correct... 8 flights, 23k miles, all within the One World alliance. I like talking to myself on the plane. It helps to suppress the inside voices.

I used to fly like that, it was horrible, I grew to hate it more than I thought possible.

jtull7
12-05-2012, 11:49
In the '80's, I knew a life insurance agent who would fly from Amarillo, his home, to Dallas on SWA, eat lunch, and then fly back. The flight is one hour and forty minutes. He believed that sitting next to a stranger on a flight of that length was the perfect selling atmosphere. I always thought that that was an interesting concept.

Lowjiber
12-05-2012, 12:50
LAX is a good airport to fly in and out of if you want to sit next to famous people.
I had a flight out of LAX on the Saturday that the Uni-Bomber claimed he was gonna blow up a plane.

We had to arrive at LAX four hours before our flight. The line (only one) was huge. I stood in front of a CNN camera for about an hour before I moved. My wife (in Florida) watched me the whole time.:whistling:

3glkdog
12-05-2012, 13:12
Pick your nose in front of the camera for your wife would have been funny.

HollowHead
12-05-2012, 17:42

We were in steerage class and I had already been seated. I had to get up when he nodded at the seat next to me and as I got up, I thought he looked familiar...so I asked. Great gent, no fanboy worship from me but we did talk about his books and especially The Charm School at length, as it is my favorite. I'm on my way out to Farmingdale to pick up some product and I'll pop up to Southbury, CT to visit the folks and then have to fly out to Peru. We'll meet up maybe in January? Gallium because I've got to be in NYC for two weeks between New Year's and the 15th... HH