AutoZone Fires Worker Who Stopped Robbery [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AutoZone Fires Worker Who Stopped Robbery

lunarspeak
12-05-2012, 01:29
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/autozone-fires-worker-who-stopped-robbery.html

skeeter7
12-05-2012, 01:35
It really sucks that he got fired for trying to do a good deed. I'm sure Pep Boys will hire him tomorrow for the good press.

cesaros
12-05-2012, 01:39
Its unfortunate he was punished for potentially saving his and the other guys life.

The country is so backwards...

lunarspeak
12-05-2012, 02:02
im going to have to go with autozone for this one...im sure that when he was hired he was told what the rules were and what he could be terminated for....so he basicly said "screw the rules"

im sure its not about him doing right or wrong, its about them being liable...yes its about them covering thier butts but if they didnt do you think they would just eat the losses from lawsuits...no they would lay people off or not refill open positions...

if i had a company and i set rules,no matter how stupid they might be id expect them to be followed,wouldnt you????????

cesaros
12-05-2012, 02:11
if i had a company and i set rules,no matter how stupid they might be id expect them to be followed,wouldnt you????????

This doesn't exactly fall under an issue of following the rules..

His and his co-workers life was threatened, and at the best possible moment, he took action to defend himself and his co-worker by retrieving his gun.

Had he NOT brought his gun into the store, and instead disarmed the robber...would that still be grounds for termination? Because he would then still be in possession of a gun, while inside the store.

In either case, its in very poor taste to terminate employment in this situation. The employee had NO intention of breaking the rules, and probably didn't even realize that this would be considered "breaking the rules"...but instead made a quick choice to defend himself and his co-worker.

lunarspeak
12-05-2012, 02:40
actually he was breaking the rules when he came to work that day with a gun in his car...the second he drove in he was doing something that could get him terminated and im sure HR had told him this when he was hired,,,,id also guess this wasnt the first time he caried a gun onto company property.

as for the scenerio of disarming the bad guy,no he did not bring the firearm to work so i doubt they could get him for that..but if company rules forbid employes from confronting robbers then yes he should be fired.

i would have done the same thing...but when i was terminated i wouldnt be surprised about being fired since i would have known what i did was against the rules

yes it seems this rule is stupid but look at it like this..this rule wasnt concieved to stop the guy with military traing in a empty store with a hostage ..it was meant for some stupid kid in the middle of the day that pulls out a gun and starts shooting in the store while full of customers when its being robbed

M1a65
12-05-2012, 03:19
Yes, the Autozone's no gun rule surely should have prevented gun violence in the store. Oh wait, guess the robber didn't read the company hand book either.

Autozone would have rather had the perp kill both employees in the back room (to prevent them from giving a discription of the perp to the Police) rather than a law abiding citizen defend himself and protect a co-worker. Some rules are unethical and should be unlawful to implement when state laws allow otherwise. An unlicenced employee carrying a concealed weapon rule would make sense.

People who make these kind of anti gun rules in the work place do not work the night shift nor do they deal with the bulk of human preditors who prefer to prey upon unarmed victims.

When Blockbuster Video posted signs on their door "No Guns Allowed" I wrote a letter to them letting them know I will no longer frequent their establishment. Withing month thousands of gun owners did the same thing and guess what? Their "rule" was removed. Seems we as responsible gun owners need to stand up again for what we believe in by writing Autozone HQ and let them know our take on this situation.

Everyone has a right to defend themselves. Only a moron would hope a gunman would spare their life after a robbery, car jacking, forced entry or kidnapping...

M1a65
12-05-2012, 03:23
Nazi's also had rules to follow, didn't make them right or ethical either.

stevelyn
12-05-2012, 03:33
Just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished. My thoughts are to look out for my own skin and the hell with everyone else.

Bren
12-05-2012, 04:52
Just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished. My thoughts are to look out for my own skin and the hell with everyone else.

Pretty typical Glock Talk member then.

Bren
12-05-2012, 04:53
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/autozone-fires-worker-who-stopped-robbery.html

Good comment from the sheriff:
Sheriff Diggs said AutoZone has also sent an unintended message to the community.

“The company has now sent a message to every would-be robber out there – ‘Hey we’re open for business and unarmed. Come on in and take our money,’” he said.

I guess I'll start shopping at Advance Auto Parts. Autozone is the closest, newest and biggest store here, but they sell a lot of store brand crap anyhow.

lunarspeak
12-05-2012, 04:58
Yes, the Autozone's no gun rule surely should have prevented gun violence in the store. Oh wait, guess the robber didn't read the company hand book either.

When Blockbuster Video posted signs on their door "No Guns Allowed" I wrote a letter to them letting them know I will no longer frequent their establishment. Withing month thousands of gun owners did the same thing and guess what? Their "rule" was removed. Seems we as responsible gun owners need to stand up again for what we believe in by writing Autozone HQ and let them know our take on this situation.

Everyone has a right to defend themselves. Only a moron would hope a gunman would spare their life after a robbery, car jacking, forced entry or kidnapping...

so you wrote a letter and BB took down thier no guns sign.. the employees still werent allowed to carry guns on company property..and if they had pulled one out they would be fired.

im just trying to discuss why its in a bussiness best interest to have these rules...in this situation yay the guy did good,,but there are so many other situations where things might not go good and as a employee anything he did could come back on the company...

this works for the small bussiness owners too..if theres some guy that has two or three crews driveing around in a truck and one of the idiots does something with a gun even if he was doing something heroic and hurts someone...guess what,its the company thats going to be sued and even if the charges are unfounded just defending yourself in court can cost thousands of dollars.

and again i would have done the same thing in that situation but when the company fired me i wouldnt play dumb and act like i didnt understand the policy..he was told if he was to bring a firearm to work he would be fired..if he didnt like this he didnt have to take the job

Altaris
12-05-2012, 08:03
so you wrote a letter and BB took down thier no guns sign.. the employees still werent allowed to carry guns on company property..and if they had pulled one out they would be fired.

One of the questions would be if they actually owned the parking lot or not. A lot of business just own/rent the building itself, but not the parking lot, so him having it in the car is perfectly fine.

I have no problem with what he did. If it was simply money/product at risk, screw it, here you go bad guys, take all you want. My life is not worth that protecting an insured product that isn't even mine. The fact that they had his manager still in there however, makes it a different story. Protecting life is worth it.

skinny99
12-05-2012, 08:15
I'm with Autozone. Even though the employee did a brave thing it was a bad decision for the company. If you have met most of the employee's of an Autozone then you know you do not want them making decisions for your company. They are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch.

You have to have a very strict set of rules for the weak minded in any business. Remember that the rules that corporate sets are to protect the business, not the employee. That is there job and it should be.

happyguy
12-05-2012, 09:09
I would not have a job where I didn't carry, whether known or unknown to my employer.

If the only job I could find resulted in me not being able to carry I would just go on public assistance and live off of your taxes.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Armchair Commando
12-05-2012, 10:05
im going to have to go with autozone for this one...im sure that when he was hired he was told what the rules were and what he could be terminated for....so he basicly said "screw the rules"

im sure its not about him doing right or wrong, its about them being liable...yes its about them covering thier butts but if they didnt do you think they would just eat the losses from lawsuits...no they would lay people off or not refill open positions...

Another liberal i see, Im quite sure the value of his life is more valuable to him than a 8$ per hour job.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

JDennis
12-05-2012, 10:15
I completely disagree with him being fired. My job has a strict gun policy, I leave it in my car during the day just like he did. He didn't go around flaunting his firearm, show other employess, or talk about it, he simply kept it in his vehicle. When the situation happened, he simply took care of it like any good citizen and responsible firearm owner. I would hands down do the same thing he did if put in the same situation.

Fear Night
12-05-2012, 10:22
I will continue to do my business with Advance Auto Parts then. We have a NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, O'Rielly, and Autozone literally all within sight of each other. Funny how that works, it makes boycotting so much easier.

voyager4520
12-05-2012, 10:28
Employer gun policies? I can understand if you work in a prison or an otherwise security sensitive area, but no employer should have the right to say you can't exercise your Second Amendment right. Especially if you work retail handling cash all day.

If they don't want people working for them who are carrying guns, then they don't have to hire any employees, they can do the job themselves.

As for disallowing guns on their property, again it's the Second Amendment to the Constitution, that's not something you can dismiss by putting a sign on your door that says "sorry you don't have any constitutional rights on my property".

Fear Night
12-05-2012, 10:29
For all those defending AutoZone, let's assume Devin didn't have his gun out in his car. What appropriate action should he have taken?

Should he have ran out of the store, leaving his co-worker and everything he was taught in the military behind?

Or should he have picked up a torque wrench from the hardware section and popped the criminal in the back of the head?

I'm curious to hear what great options he had available if he didn't have the gun.

Detectorist
12-05-2012, 11:10
Once the employee was out of danger, he should have called 911. Confronting an armed gunman is the last thing someone should do if it's avoidable.

Sorry, but acting as a cop without the training can get people killed.

If the coworker was a close family member, I could maybe see going back in.

fnfalman
12-05-2012, 11:21
It's very simple: he broke the company's policy.

If you're interviewing with a company and the policy of that company is no gun in the workplace and you brought a gun to the workplace, why are you surprised that you're getting fired?

Sure, he has the right to defend himself and that's why he's not in jail. What he doesn't have the right to is having a job after breaking company's policy.

SMOKEin
12-05-2012, 11:25
Typical GT chest thumping.

If someone agrees with a corporation following HR guidelines re. weapons at work, it doesn't make them a liberal. The guy broke the rules, like them or not, he got canned. Nobody here is calling for his head and saying he should be arrested. Nobody here is saying its a great policy that all employers should have.

He took a job that didn't allow him to take the actions he did, if he didn't like that, he should have not taken the job. On the other hand, he could ignore the rules, as he did, and deal with the consequences of being fired. He chose to make the decisions he did, hello consequences.

fnfalman
12-05-2012, 11:29
I'd like to see all the GT chest thumpers establish their own businesses then make up company policies about allowing guns at work (non-shooting related businesses), and see if they can get insurance.

bmoore
12-05-2012, 11:46
No sweat, I like Oreilly auto parts better anyways. I am done with autozone.

JDennis
12-05-2012, 11:46
Once the employee was out of danger, he should have called 911. Confronting an armed gunman is the last thing someone should do if it's avoidable.

Sorry, but acting as a cop without the training can get people killed.

If the coworker was a close family member, I could maybe see going back in.

He was ex military... I think that qualifies as training...

MedicOni
12-05-2012, 11:50
actually he was breaking the rules when he came to work that day with a gun in his car...the second he drove in he was doing something that could get him terminated and im sure HR had told him this when he was hired,,,,id also guess this wasnt the first time he caried a gun onto company property.

Is that the way the law works there? I know here in nm, my boss doesn't want weapons of any kind on property.. but by nm law, vehicles are an extension of your home and as such he can't terminate us because we have a firearm in our vehicle.

sent from my left big toe

bmoore
12-05-2012, 11:51
All the "he broke the rules end of story" folks there is a thing called doing whats right. Sometimes we break policies and procedures at work to help and or save someone. We talk about it and move on. A non mentally challenged branch manager or higher up could easily get around this. The gun was not in the workplace until a grave sitiuation unfolded.........etc. Think outside the box for just 2 seconds in your lives.

MedicOni
12-05-2012, 11:52
Nazi's also had rules to follow, didn't make them right or ethical either.

Godwin's law has made an early appearance

sent from my left big toe

Fear Night
12-05-2012, 12:08
I'd like to see all the GT chest thumpers establish their own businesses then make up company policies about allowing guns at work (non-shooting related businesses), and see if they can get insurance.
One of my buddies owns an optical business and encourages all of his employees to carry at all times. He is always armed and so are his employees. Guess how many accidental shootings they have had? Zero. Guess how much trouble he has gotten in from his insurance company? None.

Maybe stuff like that won't fly in your region of KommieFornia, but this is Alabama.

Debunked.

fnfalman
12-05-2012, 12:33
One of my buddies owns an optical business and encourages all of his employees to carry at all times. He is always armed and so are his employees. Guess how many accidental shootings they have had? Zero. Guess how much trouble he has gotten in from his insurance company? None.

Maybe stuff like that won't fly in your region of KommieFornia, but this is Alabama.

Debunked.

That's one business out of how many in Alabama?

Can the employees pack guns in Alabama's Wal-Mart?

SMOKEin
12-05-2012, 12:39
All the "he broke the rules end of story" folks there is a thing called doing whats right. Sometimes we break policies and procedures at work to help and or save someone. We talk about it and move on. A non mentally challenged branch manager or higher up could easily get around this. The gun was not in the workplace until a grave sitiuation unfolded.........etc. Think outside the box for just 2 seconds in your lives.

Is the main function of your job handing over credit card receipts, with a little bit of helping people pick out fake chrome vents for their g-ride?

Nobody is saying he shouldn't have intervened, but rather, the company can set any lawful policies they want and employees are bound to the consequences of not following them.

12-05-2012, 12:41
Vatozone shouldn't have fired the guy.

Fear Night
12-05-2012, 12:43

That has nothing to do with your proposal.

"I'd like to see all the GT chest thumpers establish their own businesses" - Friend owns business, Check

"then make up company policies about allowing guns at work (non-shooting related businesses)" - Check

"and see if they can get insurance." - Annnnd, Check.

Berto
12-05-2012, 12:44
Screw autozone. Bad policy.

happyguy
12-05-2012, 13:14

Is it even necessary to have a gun policy?

Serious question, do all insurance companies require that you have a firearm policy?

Regards,

fnfalman
12-05-2012, 13:15
That has nothing to do with your proposal.

"I'd like to see all the GT chest thumpers establish their own businesses" - Friend owns business, Check

So what does your friend's business have to do with you? Do you own your own business and let employees carry guns?

fnfalman
12-05-2012, 13:16
Is it even necessary to have a gun policy?

Serious question, do all insurance companies require that you have a firearm policy?

Regards,

I don't know. Yet many if not the majority of employers forbid the carrying of weapons at the workplace.

glockeglock
12-05-2012, 14:29

jfost11
12-05-2012, 14:38

as for the scenerio of disarming the bad guy,no he did not bring the firearm to work so i doubt they could get him for that..but if company rules forbid employes from confronting robbers then yes he should be fired.

i would have done the same thing...but when i was terminated i wouldnt be surprised about being fired since i would have known what i did was against the rules

yes it seems this rule is stupid but look at it like this..this rule wasnt concieved to stop the guy with military traing in a empty store with a hostage ..it was meant for some stupid kid in the middle of the day that pulls out a gun and starts shooting in the store while full of customers when its being robbed

Are you an employee of Autozone with knowledge of company policy? How can you say he was violating policy by having a weapon in his vehicle? I grew up in the area where this store is. It is in a shopping center open to the public with no signs at the entrance prohibiting weapons. The article stated he violated policy when he returned to the store with the weapon.
Television station WTKR (http://wtkr.com/2012/11/30/autozone-employee-fired-after-taking-action-against-fake-beard-bandit/) reported that McLean violated corporate policy by leaving the store and returning with a weapon.
The station spoke to a representative from the company’s corporate office who said they had a “zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.”There was nothing about having it in his vehicle.

If it were like my place of employment where it is clearly and repeatedly marked private property and no weapons allowed, you'd be absolutely correct.

glockrod
12-05-2012, 14:53
Devin is NOT a yellow bellied chicken turd. He went back in to danger to help!!

But he still gets fired. Simply because he made the sacrifice to save another employees life.

That store manager likely owes his life to Devin.

I hope this ends well, but unforetunately the young man will likely find employment difficult because future employers will know that he is a gun owner and will likely have a gun in the car; therefore, breaking company policy before he can even be hired.

It is a truly horrible irony that a veteran may be denied the American dream because of what our forefathers granted him the right to be able to do.

crazycooter91
12-05-2012, 15:15
I will continue to do my business with Advance Auto Parts then. We have a NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, O'Rielly, and Autozone literally all within sight of each other. Funny how that works, it makes boycotting so much easier.

You must be near Hartselle, AL lol I work at the Advance there and we have a NAPA across the street and an Autozone and O'Reilly's half a mile north lol

All of you people who are posting about boycotting Autozone, keep in mind that Advance, NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc. all have a similar policy that employee's cannot carry guns at work or on the property. While I disagree with the policy, I can see the company's view also.

Slug71
12-05-2012, 15:39
Well....will not be buying from Autozone anymore.

glockeglock
12-05-2012, 16:30

crazycooter91
12-05-2012, 16:41
I am sure this is true. However, we can hope that the other companies will use better judgment and discretion in analyzing the circumstances and thereby arrive at a smarter conclusion. Until they actually demonstrate an Autozone failure, I will give the others the benefit of that hope. And maybe the boycott will make the others think more clearly.

Doubtful

happyguy
12-05-2012, 16:54
Well, the good news is everybody is alive, no thanks to the management team at Autozone.

Regards,

Minnow
12-05-2012, 17:09
He traded his job for his life and that of another. Seems like a fair trade.
He can get a better job somewhere else. He sounds like a stand up guy.

This is another example of when zero tolerance doesn't work.

Bren
12-05-2012, 17:28
Another liberal i see, Im quite sure the value of his life is more valuable to him than a 8$ per hour job.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I don't think it's "liberal" to say the company can make the rules they want and fire who they want. I agree that they can. However, it is up to the consumer to influence those rules by letting them know what they think and by refusing to buy fro9m them when they enforce rules that go against our beliefs.

Fear Night
12-06-2012, 05:26
You must be near Hartselle, AL lol I work at the Advance there and we have a NAPA across the street and an Autozone and O'Reilly's half a mile north lol

All of you people who are posting about boycotting Autozone, keep in mind that Advance, NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc. all have a similar policy that employee's cannot carry guns at work or on the property. While I disagree with the policy, I can see the company's view also.
Nope, Leeds. Must be an Alabama thing :rofl:

They are all 4 literally within sight of each other. Advance and Autozone are right next door. Always thought it was strange the way they compete for business so close to each other.

Tvov
12-06-2012, 06:13
Good job to the employee.

Autozone screwed up. I don't know about other places, but around me most of the people who go to the auto parts stores seem to be pro 2nd amendment. Autozone should have left the employee alone if they felt they couldn't praise him... if only from a publicity standpoint, besides being the right thing to do. If the question came up about their gun policy, they should have have used lawyer-speak to get around it, something along the lines of it was in his personal vehicle and it was after hours or some other reasoning. They will get (have got already) bad publicity about this.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-06-2012, 06:22

No, rules were out the window when he and his co-worker were being threatened with murder.

kensb2
12-06-2012, 07:06
If you check out Autozone's facebook page, they have received a great deal of negative backlash from the general community over this. I wonder if it will have any effect??

ray9898
12-06-2012, 07:53
I don't know about other places, but around me most of the people who go to the auto parts stores seem to be pro 2nd amendment.

LOL...so only pro 2nd amendment people own cars? Good to know.:rofl:

LSUAdman
12-06-2012, 10:31
AutoZone's form for general comments of questions:

https://www.autozone.com/autozone/contactus/generalComments.jsp?landingPageCategory=inOurStores&title=generalcomments

Just incase anyone feels the need, like I did, to send them a letter.

glockeglock
12-06-2012, 10:32

Tvov
12-06-2012, 10:39
LOL...so only pro 2nd amendment people own cars? Good to know.:rofl:

lol, realize that I am in Connecticut. Liberals here don't get their hands dirty... unless it involves tree hugging or launching their kayak from their SUV.

(oh, wait a minute.. am I painting with a broad brush? Oh gosh...)

crazycooter91
12-06-2012, 19:30
Nope, Leeds. Must be an Alabama thing :rofl:

They are all 4 literally within sight of each other. Advance and Autozone are right next door. Always thought it was strange the way they compete for business so close to each other.

I know exactly what you mean...my previous stepdads mother lived in Leeds before she passed away and my stepsister lived in moody on the other side of the interstate. Small world lol

Buck_Turgidson
12-06-2012, 21:07
This is actually quite simple. Company prohibits carrying of firearms. If you don't like that, don't go to work for the company. They are within their rights to make rules for their employees to their hearts content as longs as they are compliant with applicable laws. You can argue all day long regarding the "correctness" of this rule, but it was a condition of employment. He chose to violate the rule and suffered the consequences. Whether he saved humanity or not, is irrelevant. If I am that concerned for my personal safety that I felt the need to carry on the job, I would choose not to work for that employer. They don't owe you a job.

gjk5
12-06-2012, 21:10
This is actually quite simple. Company prohibits carrying of firearms. If you don't like that, don't go to work for the company. They are within their rights to make rules for their employees to their hearts content as longs as they are compliant with applicable laws. You can argue all day long regarding the "correctness" of this rule, but it was a condition of employment. He chose to violate the rule and suffered the consequences. Whether he saved humanity or not, is irrelevant. If I am that concerned for my personal safety that I felt the need to carry on the job, I would choose not to work for that employer. They don't owe you a job.

yep. I don't get the brouhaha.......

Detectorist
12-06-2012, 21:22
He was ex military... I think that qualifies as training...

Right. Air Force. :rofl:

Detectorist
12-06-2012, 21:25

I know of at least one who's done it in Missouri. :cool:

Big Bird
12-07-2012, 04:30

Does the company have the right to make and enforce such a policy? Sure. Do customers have the right to express their opinion to the company and take their business elsewhere if they feel its endangering and abusing its employees through its poilcies--sure. They don't owe the employee a job. Dang right. Customers also don't have to shop there. See how that works?

JW1178
12-07-2012, 04:48
Autozone just lost me as a customer. I refuse to buy dominoes pizza for doing something similar. Products from both companies are similar in quality anyways.

I think he should be able to sue autozone for him having to go through what he did. They should have had security there to protect their employees since they refuse them to be allowed to protect themselves.

singularity35
12-07-2012, 04:53
Yes, most companies probably just prefer their employees just die rather than face the possibility of being held liable by a robber or his family.

.45 Combat
12-07-2012, 08:17

Companies, do have policies for reasons. If I had a business, I'd want an employee to be well trained with a weapon. Not just to qualify with it either . I'm talking IDPA. As an example.

Roger1079
12-07-2012, 08:48
actually he was breaking the rules when he came to work that day with a gun in his car...the second he drove in he was doing something that could get him terminated and im sure HR had told him this when he was hired,,,,id also guess this wasnt the first time he caried a gun onto company property.Actually, you may be wrong here. In FL, it is lawful for an employee to have a firearm in their vehicle in the parking lot even if the company has a policy prohibiting firearms at work.

Roger1079
12-08-2012, 09:17
If I am that concerned for my personal safety that I felt the need to carry on the job, I would choose not to work for that employer. They don't owe you a job.so you don't have a commute to and from work? I might be crazy, but the firearm in the car may not have been because he feared for his life at work.

cranejc
12-08-2012, 09:23
I understand the policy...but,

I haven't shopped at AutoZone in a few years - higher prices, terrible customer service... looks like I won't ever have a reason to again - Advance & O'Reilly earned my business before, but they've got it hemmed-up now.

Kevinr20
12-08-2012, 10:15
I swear half of GT would agree with a business enforcing an abortion policy where every pregnant woman had to abort or be fired. Nobody stands up for themselves anymore. It's easier to say "rules are rules" and not create waves than to do what's morally and ethically right.

Just because it's not illegal, doesn't mean it's right and no red blooded American should "agree" with Autozone. You don't have to go up in arms to support this guy who got fired but if you were in that same situation, you would be crying out to the masses for support of what was an obvious ethical mistreatment.

Kevinr20
12-08-2012, 10:24
If I am that concerned for my personal safety that I felt the need to carry on the job, I would choose not to work for that employer.

If you feel the need to carry a gun in the streets, choose not to live here.

See what I did there? Liberal attitudes are a slippery slope.

badge315
12-08-2012, 10:30
Yes, most companies probably just prefer their employees just die rather than face the possibility of being held liable by a robber or his family.

This is essentially why such policies exist. And those policies won't change until it becomes more expensive for employers to have such policies than not to. That's why I encourage every employee in every industry who has (IMO) been wrongfully terminated for defending their lives in defiance of company policy to sue their employer. Perhaps if they get hit with enough lawsuits, companies will alter their polices regarding firearms. No employer should be allowed to establish, as a condition of employment, a policy mandating that an employee must forfeit their life in order to shield the company from perceived liability.

ArrowJ
12-08-2012, 11:28
Not sure how I feel about this. Obviously I believe the store owner has the right to run his business as he sees fit (he being individual or corp), but does that trump the right of individuals to protect their lives? Bottom line, I would exercise my right to find another employer. I will exercise my right to shop at another auto parts store. Of course, this will have no effect on AZ as they could care less if I buy a $6 taillight from them once every two years.

jr05
12-08-2012, 12:02
I'm with Autozone. Even though the employee did a brave thing it was a bad decision for the company. If you have met most of the employee's of an Autozone then you know you do not want them making decisions for your company. They are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch.

You have to have a very strict set of rules for the weak minded in any business. Remember that the rules that corporate sets are to protect the business, not the employee. That is there job and it should be.

Same could be said for simply owning a gun. Maybe we should start screening people for IQ or some other factor before allowing them to buy guns??

This guy did not make a decision "for the company" as much as he did to potentially save his life and that of his friend/manager. And as far as your second statement about it being right to protect the business and not the employee, I think is is statements like that which are behind what this country has become, and is heading for. Putting a company above the safety of it's employees is just stupid. No company is worth more than a person's life, I guarantee you that.

skinny99
12-08-2012, 13:07
Same could be said for simply owning a gun. Maybe we should start screening people for IQ or some other factor before allowing them to buy guns??

Of course we shouldn't, freedoms, like the right to bear arms and the right to free speech have one drawback/advantage, they are given to all. Love what someone says or hate it they have the right, same with guns, not everyone deserves one but everyone has the right to own one.

This guy did not make a decision "for the company" as much as he did to potentially save his life and that of his friend/manager.

In this case he made a decision to break the companies rules. My point is that if Autozone allowed him to carry a firearm in the store, anything he does with that firearm is a company decision and Autozone can be held liable. That is the issue. Good or bad, right or wrong the company can be put in a situation where they are sued for allowing the employee to carry. In Autozone's situation it is irresponsible to put that kind of company decision in the hands of a low-level employee. It would be a very bad business decision.

And as far as your second statement about it being right to protect the business and not the employee, I think is is statements like that which are behind what this country has become, and is heading for. Putting a company above the safety of it's employees is just stupid. No company is worth more than a person's life, I guarantee you that.

The truth is that it is every employees job from the CEO to the newest low level employee to protect the companies assets, profitability and to guard against unnecessary liability. For that is the only way that the company will continue to survive. Now I am a realist, so I am aware not everyone in any company will feel that way but they should.

As far as putting the company ahead of the safety of an employee, of course they shouldn't. However they are following the model of all large retailers, which is do not fight back, give up the stores cash/merchandise. Which is safer for everyone involved than an employee carrying and fighting back. This is not true in all jobs or business's but for the type of people/employees that are typically hired at major retailers it is. Period. Go talk to 99% of employees at Autozone,Walmart,Home Depot.... these are not the kind of people I want representing my business with a firearm.

And on the topic of whats ruining this country. It is not the kind of thinking I am typing about. Using critical thinking to make an intelligent decision about how to run a business is the right way. Autozone made hard decision and unpopular one. As a country we are afraid to do just that. Using emotions to control your decisions is what has where we are. I can cite a million examples but only need one, our past presidential election.

My emotional side says they should promote this guy and give him a raise. I think what he did was extremely brave and that he made the correct decision. I hope if I was in the same situation I would have acted so bravely. Really I would've loved to see him blast the criminal. It does suck for him but it is not the end of the world, he lost a low paying part time job. He can get another one.

:patriot::lv702: Next!

HollowHead
12-08-2012, 13:29

It's laughable how so many here think "no guns" policies have anything to do with a dislike of guns. HH

fnfalman
12-08-2012, 13:36
Geezus, the STUPID is strong with this one. ^^ When did Americans become so sheep-like and stupid to the point that following a rule or policy trumps saving a life?

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Even our legal system allows for violating laws under dire circumstances. That's why you can fire a gun inside city limits (a crime) to save your life or that of another. That's why you can break into and enter a dwelling (a crime) to avoid dying in a blizzard or to save someone from burning to death. Lunarspeak would listen to the screams and say, "Just let her burn. Thar's rules, you know."

There's a difference between "laws" and "policies".

That's why the dude didn't get prosecuted for firing his gun inside city limit.

pmwglock19
12-09-2012, 12:17
Well as far as I am concerned they won't be getting my business any longer.

Kentucky Shooter
12-09-2012, 12:59
Geezus, the STUPID is strong with this one. ^^ When did Americans become so sheep-like and stupid to the point that following a rule or policy trumps saving a life?

Even our legal system allows for violating laws under dire circumstances. That's why you can fire a gun inside city limits (a crime) to save your life or that of another. That's why you can break into and enter a dwelling (a crime) to avoid dying in a blizzard or to save someone from burning to death. Lunarspeak would listen to the screams and say, "Just let her burn. Thar's rules, you know."

We have a winner

Kingarthurhk
12-09-2012, 13:05
I suspect their company figured replacing a drone is less expensive than yet another frivelous lawsuit by a criminal hoping to get some free cash. Corporations are like that.

zoyter2
12-09-2012, 14:32
Before all of you succumb to the knee-jerk reaction of "I will shop elsewhere", check on 'elsewhere's" employee/gun policies.

Autozone is not alone.

Advance Auto: ............This includes providing a drug
and alcohol free workplace, and an environment free from weapons............

Companies can make their rules. Consumer can purchase anywhere they choose. Vote with your money.

HollowHead
12-09-2012, 15:04
Jeezus guys, they simply fired him. It's not like they also beat us his momma... HH