another dog shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : another dog shooting

gjk5
12-05-2012, 08:31
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/20251373/chicago-cop-shoots-puppy-with-world-champion-lineage-exclusive

it WAS pitbullish after all

Psychman
12-05-2012, 08:38
Hmmmm. Sounds like someone was having a bad day.

Altaris
12-05-2012, 08:47
It was a terrifying 7month old 29lb dog! Oh the horror! :faint:

Drain You
12-05-2012, 09:28
Had an incident recently where I called the police to my home to keep me from doing the Zimmerman dance on a punk that told me he was going to beat my ass in my own yard...

lady cop comes over and is talking to me, 2 of our small girl dogs, 20 and 40 pounds, got out the back door in the commotion and came running around to see me.

Lady cop reacted just like I've seen women scared of spiders, she was back peddling without even looking where she was going, "D d d d d dog get your d d d dog".

I grabbed them up and took them inside before things got really stupid for her. I just can't believe they don't weed people out like that.

But between your diversity hiring and void of good candidates I guess you have to pick and choose your battles. It will cost them one day.

Roering
12-05-2012, 09:50
Officer panicked and fired before thinking. At least it was not a human.......this time.

WarCry
12-05-2012, 10:11
This is one of those extremely rare cases when my support doesn't automatically fall to the cops.

From the statements in the article (admittedly, only one side of the story), the cop was calm, cool, collected, not fearful. Follow that up with - again, according to their statements - that the police saw them talking to the news and then came back and cited him 3 days later?

This story is just a big steaming pile and the CPD stepped about knee-deep into it.

On top of all that....two shots, point-blank, and the pup (thankfully) made it? I'd hate to think if this cop was shooting at a REAL danger.

aplcr0331
12-05-2012, 10:14
Man these dog better quit messing with the Cops, they have guns ya know? Stupid animals.

schild
12-05-2012, 10:57
As long as the officer safely went home without being mauled by a twenty-nine pound dog.................:whistling:

fnfalman
12-05-2012, 11:01
They shot Spud McKenzie?

Altaris
12-05-2012, 11:02
As long as the officer safely went home without being mauled by a twenty-nine pound dog.................:whistling:

Not only did he go home safely, he calmly finished writing the parking ticket after he shot the dog and re-holstered his gun.
Have to make sure to generate as much revenue for the city as possible since you will be costing them a lot now.

Adjuster
12-05-2012, 11:15
I am not even going to read the article because I get the gist of it from the thread but I am going to pose a legitimate question as this is a scenario any of us could face at anytime and is 1,000,000 times more likely to happen as opposed to being confronted by a bad human.

Standing in your driveway or standing anywhere for that matter no easy retreat. You see a dog maybe one city block away in distance and the dog starts running for you. Assuming we are all CCW in GlockTalk. What factors go through your head in determining the threat and if you need a weapon and when that weapon should be brought to the ready or used? Size of dog? Breed of dog? Demeanor of dog? There are only three outcomes that I see. The dog licks you. The dog attacks you. You shoot the dog. Obviously there is a difference if its a 6lbs Chihuahua or a 100lbs Rottweiler. I am not going to let myself get bit if I can prevent it and you have no idea what the dogs intentions are until after the fact. You almost have to make the decision to shoot and blame the stupid dog owner for not securing their pet.

/

Phaze5ive
12-05-2012, 11:17
Poor dog.

Based on looks alone though, that is one ugly looking dog. It's like a big, fur-less, albino rat.

redbaron007
12-05-2012, 11:31
I guess I don't understand the outrage towards the officer. The officer felt threatened by the dog...even the dog's owner (in the video) told the police he can't vouch for how the dog approached the police officer, he was on the other side of the van. A witness even stated the officer yelled twice to the dog owner to get the dog.

I love dogs, but I'm also very alert and when a dog is moving towards me...I take a defensive posture......mace or shooting one is not out of the realm of possibilities.

:wavey:

red

redbaron007
12-05-2012, 11:37
Here's an article (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57436026/dog-bite-claims-cost-insurers-$497m-in-2011-insurance-group-says/) on dog-bite claims.

From my experience, the little yap-yap dogs do most of the biting.

Just because the owner thinks the dog won't bite, doesn't mean it won't. Owners are naive to their dog will do.

red

Roering
12-05-2012, 12:20
I wonder if pepper spray or tazing was an option.

SGT HATRED
12-05-2012, 12:22

That sounds about right... Thank god colonel lived.

Berto
12-05-2012, 12:53
I know I'll get crap for this, but if you *need* to shoot a 30lb dog to 'save' yourself as an LEO, you're probably in the wrong business. Shooting is supposed to be a last option, not first option.

FCastle88
12-05-2012, 12:57
I guess I don't understand the outrage towards the officer. The officer felt threatened by the dog...even the dog's owner (in the video) told the police he can't vouch for how the dog approached the police officer, he was on the other side of the van. A witness even stated the officer yelled twice to the dog owner to get the dog.

I love dogs, but I'm also very alert and when a dog is moving towards me...I take a defensive posture......mace or shooting one is not out of the realm of possibilities.

red
So "moving towards" someone is now aggressive behavior for a dog?:upeyes:

concretefuzzynuts
12-05-2012, 13:04
But it was in Chicago. Doesn't everyone shoot first in that city?

WarCry
12-05-2012, 13:04

red

Actually, the article specifically states the witness said the cop was talking to the owner, not yelling, and stated the cop did not sound like he was in any danger:

One eyewitness, Charlene Dezego, told FOX 32 News that she heard the officer warned Phillips about the dog being loose, but the officer never sounded like he was in danger.

"All of sudden I heard him say, ‘get your dog,' and then the next statement was ‘get your dog,' and then he just pulled out his gun and shot twice," says Dezengo.

And to be clear, this was a seven-month-old puppy. The dog would have just barely lost it's puppy-teeth. Seriously, trying to claim the cop felt like he was in true danger in this case - based on the information that's been released so far - sounds completely absurd, and the witness statement supports that.

Dubble-Tapper
12-05-2012, 13:09
29 lbs? what a *****. i figure a firm jackboot would have done the job.

Altaris
12-05-2012, 13:12
I know I'll get crap for this, but if you *need* to shoot a 30lb dog to 'save' yourself as an LEO, you're probably in the wrong business. Shooting is supposed to be a last option, not first option.

Completely agree.
That is like shooting a 7 year old girl because they approached you and you were scared at the damage they would do. If a 29lb puppy scares you that much that you need to shoot it, I would hate to see how you react if full grown adult steps up to you.

Berto
12-05-2012, 13:14
Actually, the article specifically states the witness said the cop was talking to the owner, not yelling, and stated the cop did not sound like he was in any danger:

And to be clear, this was a seven-month-old puppy. The dog would have just barely lost it's puppy-teeth. Seriously, trying to claim the cop felt like he was in true danger in this case - based on the information that's been released so far - sounds completely absurd, and the witness statement supports that.

Doesn't matter. It kinda looked like a pitbull and pitbulls can bite right through a police car.

Mayhem like Me
12-05-2012, 13:19

112 did not this year and counting..way to be a dewch...

Mayhem like Me
12-05-2012, 13:21
My daughter was bit by a Bassett hound mix and spent a week in the hospital with an infection, I guess dog owners have no personal responsibility to keep thier mutts under control..
I probably would have kicked the dog about 10 yards if it tried to bite me , that would have been much better right?

Berto
12-05-2012, 13:23
Completely agree.
That is like shooting a 7 year old girl because they approached you and you were scared at the damage they would do. If a 29lb puppy scares you that much that you need to shoot it, I would hate to see how you react if full grown adult steps up to you.

I am absolutely pro cop too, but too many people are slipping through the hiring process.

P99er
12-05-2012, 13:26
Why does a cop shoot a dog?

Because they are scared? No.

Because they are being attacked? No.

To protect people in the immediate area? No

To go home safe? No.

Because they CAN, with no questions asked.

redbaron007
12-05-2012, 13:39
So "moving towards" someone is now aggressive behavior for a dog?:upeyes:

Don't know....wasn't there to see what 'moving towards' was actually like.

red

redbaron007
12-05-2012, 13:56

Watch the news cast and the witness describes the officer's reaction to the dog approaching them. At the end, the reporter states the dogs owner didn't see the dog approach the officer, because they were on the other side of the van. :dunno:

What you think is harmless and what the officer thinks is harmless are evidently two different perspectives. Since the officer was there, you weren't.....having some history with dogs, I will side with the officer.

Absurd? Doubt it. Remember, you have only one side of the story, as do I. Could it be the officer has been bitten several times....by '29lbs puppies' and had enough. :rofl:

Lots of variables to know if it was justified or not.....but on the surface, I don't have a problem with it. In addition, there are leash laws and the owner didn't abide by them, hence the ticket. Don't know how strict their leash laws are there, but since the dog wasn't on one and is supposed to be; maybe that is enough to warrant the shooting.....with any aggression. :dunno:

red

WarCry
12-05-2012, 13:56
My daughter was bit by a Bassett hound mix and spent a week in the hospital with an infection, I guess dog owners have no personal responsibility to keep thier mutts under control..
I probably would have kicked the dog about 10 yards if it tried to bite me , that would have been much better right?

IF the dog tried to bite you, then yes. Protecting yourself and your family is your right.

Kicking a dog walking past you because you're just scared doesn't fly. In this case it appears the cop shot the dog as it was proverbially walking by. I haven't heard anyone say the dog was even barking, let alone appearing to be aggressive.

And to re-state this, all these fine posters talking about "cops shoot dogs just because they can!" is a load of crap. This appears to be a crappy cop, and painting everyone in uniform with that brush is just absolutely idiotic. Most cops I know would work to keep an animal safe.

redbaron007
12-05-2012, 13:57
Why does a cop shoot a dog?

Because they are scared? No.

Because they are being attacked? No.

To protect people in the immediate area? No

To go home safe? No.

Because they CAN, with no questions asked.

:faint: :dunno:

red

Bren
12-05-2012, 14:12
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/20251373/chicago-cop-shoots-puppy-with-world-champion-lineage-exclusive

I believe some of the GTers who generally hate the police are also hysterically afraid of dogs. I'm in to see which side they come down on.

WarCry
12-05-2012, 14:19
I believe some of the GTers who generally hate the police are also hysterically afraid of dogs. I'm in to see which side they come down on.

Which definition of hysterical are we using, because I could see it going either way....

AlexHassin
12-05-2012, 14:21

red

i think the outrage, at lest for me, comes form them coming back days latter to cite them after they talked to the media. and included talking to the media as part of their questioning

Mayhem like Me
12-05-2012, 14:22
IF the dog tried to bite you, then yes. Protecting yourself and your family is your right.

Kicking a dog walking past you because you're just scared doesn't fly. In this case it appears the cop shot the dog as it was proverbially walking by. I haven't heard anyone say the dog was even barking, let alone appearing to be aggressive.

And to re-state this, all these fine posters talking about "cops shoot dogs just because they can!" is a load of crap. This appears to be a crappy cop, and painting everyone in uniform with that brush is just absolutely idiotic. Most cops I know would work to keep an animal safe.

I would only defend myself if the dog tried to bite me...That should go without saying. I have only felt the need to shoot three dogs atacking me in my career.

One was a huge doberman that jumped at me from the bed of a pickup..and was biting my left arm when shot. (S&W 686 357 magun 125 grain under the chin out the spine.)

two was a huge pitbullrottie mix that was shot about 20 times with an MP5SD and eating my buddy as he reloaded.(my shogun solved the problem)

Three was a bad *** chow biting the crap out of a team member trying to cuff his master..(shotgun again)

I have kicked or hit other less than committed atackers, and I have an extensive amount of experience training protection dogs to bite.. I am sure many here would have shot some of the dogs I Slapped or kicked.

Rotn1
12-05-2012, 14:40
This apparent ongoing issue with Dogs being shot is going to take over from the donut joke cliches.
Not good. Must stop.
Americans love their dogs......... Very bad optics

HexHead
12-05-2012, 15:06

You obviously know nothing about dogs. I've never met an English Bull Terrier I wouldn't just go up to and pet.

I hope that coward gets his comeuppance from some thug.

redbaron007
12-05-2012, 15:07
i think the outrage, at lest for me, comes form them coming back days latter to cite them after they talked to the media. and included talking to the media as part of their questioning

That I can understand. It does raise a hair or two. But talking to the media and the timing of the citation just may be coincidental. :tongueout:

I've seen folks cited days after the encounter. So it's not unusual for it to come several days later. :dunno:

red

ray9898
12-05-2012, 15:21
I don't think many understand how common it is for LE to deal with dogs, add to that the element we normally deal with prefer aggressive dogs. I have been bit twice but neither was shot because I didn't believe I had a safe backstop. I have only seen one shot and it was 100% needed. A officer in a neighboring jurisdiction took a bite to the hand a couple of years ago from a 35lb Chow. It destroyed his hand and disabled him to the point his career is over even after multiple surgeries. I have seen two others end up in the hospital with infections from bites.

ray9898
12-05-2012, 15:24
That I can understand. It does raise a hair or two. But talking to the media and the timing of the citation just may be coincidental. :tongueout:

I've seen folks cited days after the encounter. So it's not unusual for it to come several days later. :dunno:

red

It probably is just a coincidence. We cite every owner that has a dog who bites or is aggressive to the point someone has to act in defense. I am not talking about just cops, every average Joe on the street who finds them self in that position.

robrides85
12-05-2012, 15:32
29 lbs? what a *****. i figure a firm jackboot would have done the job.

This. I understand shooting an aggressive dog (probably would kick in around 80 pounds for me), but when 29 lbs. shows up to defend its territory, it gets punted, not shot.

HexHead
12-05-2012, 15:48
This. I understand shooting an aggressive dog (probably would kick in around 80 pounds for me), but when 29 lbs. shows up to defend its territory, it gets punted, not shot.

A six month old puppy isn't defending it's territory yet. He probably just wanted to play. The dog was being raised to be a show dog. He's been getting socialized, used to strangers putting their hands on them and not being aggresive in the least.

I used to show an English Setter, so I'm familiar with the dog's personality traits that are needed.

AlexHassin
12-05-2012, 15:48

red

so why did the officer involved not do it?
he finished writing parking tickets.

it might be just me but this situation smells funnier then the apertment next door.

HexHead
12-05-2012, 15:54
A officer in a neighboring jurisdiction took a bite to the hand a couple of years ago from a 35lb Chow. It destroyed his hand and disabled him to the point his career is over even after multiple surgeries.

Chow are notorious for being aggresive dogs. They are on every homeonwner's insurance prohibited dog list I've seen.

JEEPX
12-05-2012, 16:02

Hate cops and most people. Love dogs

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2

gjk5
12-05-2012, 16:06

I said exactly that in a similar thread not too long ago and got dogpiled.

ummmm, yes.

badge or no badge, in my book someone who shoots a small dog that has not even attempted to bite them is a *****.

The last time a dog bit me, I had a gun on me. Being the brave he-man that I am, I left the gun in the holster, knowing the dog was not a real threat, and kicked the daylights out of it. It did not bite again.

gjk5
12-05-2012, 16:08
You obviously know nothing about dogs. I've never met an English Bull Terrier I wouldn't just go up to and pet.

I hope that coward gets his comeuppance from some thug.

you obviously know nothing about sarcasm.

.264 magnum
12-05-2012, 16:18
I am not even going to read the article because I get the gist of it from the thread but I am going to pose a legitimate question as this is a scenario any of us could face at anytime and is 1,000,000 times more likely to happen as opposed to being confronted by a bad human.

Standing in your driveway or standing anywhere for that matter no easy retreat. You see a dog maybe one city block away in distance and the dog starts running for you. Assuming we are all CCW in GlockTalk. What factors go through your head in determining the threat and if you need a weapon and when that weapon should be brought to the ready or used? Size of dog? Breed of dog? Demeanor of dog? There are only three outcomes that I see. The dog licks you. The dog attacks you. You shoot the dog. Obviously there is a difference if its a 6lbs Chihuahua or a 100lbs Rottweiler. I am not going to let myself get bit if I can prevent it and you have no idea what the dogs intentions are until after the fact. You almost have to make the decision to shoot and blame the stupid dog owner for not securing their pet.

/

I disagree strongly with your second to last sentence. It's really easy to discriminate between a huge Golden Retriever playfully bounding towards someone/me looking for some love and maybe a treat and the same dog driving towards me with intent to bully or worse.

Fort Worth Texas is beginning mandatory dog behavior training after an officer shot a family's female Australian Shepherd. There is a chance this training will be mandatory statewide for all LEOs.

.264 magnum
12-05-2012, 16:21

Correct.

And most people, LEO or not, are near-100% clueless about animals in general. Hence officers shooting little dogs with regularity.

.264 magnum
12-05-2012, 16:23

Yes that would have been much better.

cangler
12-05-2012, 16:33
He should look for another job, the whole cop thing isn't working for him!

Big Bird
12-05-2012, 18:55
Who cares. Tens of thousands of unwanted dogs and cats are shot, gassed, injected every day in the US. You guys are screaming about a few odd examples when the real injustice happens on a massive scale every day at your local county dog shelter.

*ASH*
12-05-2012, 19:02
people are just stupid ,

folks listen this is the way to not get mauled .

if you are attacked you jam your whole arm down the dogs throat and leg lock it ,dog is then incapacitated til help arrives .

its a teaching rule and common sense.

and agreed folks scared of dogs dont need to be trigger happy coppers

we have 2 huas and a small jack russel anyone takes a shot at them gets a shot back.period.

Altaris
12-05-2012, 19:11

Exactly!

If my neighbors 225lb St Bernard mix comes charging at me with violent intent, I'm shooting the crap out of it. No way am I attempting to kick or wrestle it.

If a 35lb Chow comes running at me(and they are known as biters), I'm going to see what it does before I do anything. If It tries to get aggressive, I am going to punt it. I'm certainly not going to stick my hand down near it to get bit.

*ASH*
12-05-2012, 19:19
Exactly!

If my neighbors 225lb St Bernard mix comes charging at me with violent intent, I'm shooting the crap out of it. No way am I attempting to kick or wrestle it.

If a 35lb Chow comes running at me(and they are known as biters), I'm going to see what it does before I do anything. If It tries to get aggressive, I am going to punt it. I'm certainly not going to stick my hand down near it to get bit.

arm in gut , dog cant bite , yeah you will get some cuts and teeth marks , but it cant bite with a mouth full of arm lol .

Dubble-Tapper
12-05-2012, 19:31
Who cares. Tens of thousands of unwanted dogs and cats are shot, gassed, injected every day in the US. You guys are screaming about a few odd examples when the real injustice happens on a massive scale every day at your local county dog shelter.

except this dog had a family that might have loved it from the sounds of it...

schild
12-05-2012, 20:03
112 did not this year and counting..way to be a dewch...

......and your point? If you're not man enough to deal with a twenty-nine pound dog without drawing your gun you should just stay home and be a bed-wetter.

Mayhem like Me
12-05-2012, 20:27
......and your point? If you're not man enough to deal with a twenty-nine pound dog without drawing your gun you should just stay home and be a bed-wetter.

My point ******* is your post is not clever and I find it at about middle school level..

Got it!

I've dealt with little boys like you pretending to be men long enough to know you are a coward.

Tell the officer what you think Of him.... But your back handed cowardly comment about at least he went home is a slap to those who did not, their friends and families.. So stop being an *******. And I would say this to your face....bet on it.

Hrsuhd
12-05-2012, 20:42
What you think is harmless and what the officer thinks is harmless are evidently two different perspectives. Since the officer was there, you weren't.....having some history with dogs, I will side with the officer.

Absurd? Doubt it. Remember, you have only one side of the story, as do I. Could it be the officer has been bitten several times....by '29lbs puppies' and had enough. :rofl:

Lots of variables to know if it was justified or not.....but on the surface, I don't have a problem with it. In addition, there are leash laws and the owner didn't abide by them, hence the ticket. Don't know how strict their leash laws are there, but since the dog wasn't on one and is supposed to be; maybe that is enough to warrant the shooting.....with any aggression. :dunno:

red

Playing devils advocate would it be ok for me to shoot the next drunk or tweeker i think i might have to wrestle or fight because Ive had to do this many time in the past and Ive had enough?

badge315
12-05-2012, 21:33
A six month old puppy isn't defending it's territory yet. He probably just wanted to play. The dog was being raised to be a show dog. He's been getting socialized, used to strangers putting their hands on them and not being aggresive in the least.

I used to show an English Setter, so I'm familiar with the dog's personality traits that are needed.

I think this is an important element of the story. Show dogs are trained specifically not to be aggressive, so IMO either this officer is lying about the dog becoming aggressive or he's an easily-frightened scaredycat.

WarCry
12-05-2012, 22:37
I think this is an important element of the story. Show dogs are trained specifically not to be aggressive, so IMO either this officer is lying about the dog becoming aggressive or he's an easily-frightened scaredycat.

I think it's option C: Because the witness (NOT the dog owner) said the cop never sounded scared or really even concerned, as also evidenced by the fact that he went back to writing the ticket after the shooting.

I don't know what his deal was, but it doesn't sound like fear - feigned or otherwise - to me.

CAcop
12-05-2012, 22:39
In Oakland the police call the pit bulls that run free in the streets "ghetto deer." Just these deer bite and maul.

I wouldn't be surprised if the officer had worked the ghetto just a little too long.

winchester62
12-05-2012, 23:05
My point ******* is your post is not clever and I find it at about middle school level..

Got it!

I've dealt with little boys like you pretending to be men long enough to know you are a coward.

Tell the officer what you think Of him.... But your back handed cowardly comment about at least he went home is a slap to those who did not, their friends and families.. So stop being an *******. And I would say this to your face....bet on it.
Former officer Kuehnlein? Is that you?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDkQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8P70UwNMFrw&ei=wDPAUMa6IYrG0AH99oGgBw&usg=AFQjCNGtH_QlQ76-KEiGH6n6HQc5PKLa9w

*ASH*
12-05-2012, 23:55
and folks wonder why LEO get bashed in GNG , i dont have a clue why

:dunno::dunno:

schild
12-06-2012, 04:32

Got it!

Ok idiot, the cop was a moron just like eighty-seven percent of the Chicago police farce, most of whom are incapable of holding a real job.

As the original Mayor Daley so eloquently said, "The Chicago police are there to preserve dis-order".

Didn't mean to offend the bed-wetters of the world.:rofl:

Mayhem like Me
12-06-2012, 04:37
Ok idiot, the cop was a moron just like eighty-seven percent of the Chicago police farce, most of whom are incapable of holding a real job.
Didn't mean to offend the bed-wetters of the world.:rofl:

Whatever, you are still a coward and you did mean to offend people. You disgust me you have no ability to see what is the right thing to do here because you only think of your immature self.

Bravo you are the reason Chicago has police like that your cowardice keeps you from doing what's right..

NOW WASH YOUR SHEETS.. We know who the real bed wetter is...

schild
12-06-2012, 05:02
Whatever, you are still a coward and you did mean to offend people. You disgust me you have no ability to see what is the right thing to do here because you only think of your immature self.

Bravo you are the reason Chicago has police like that your cowardice keeps you from doing what's right..

NOW WASH YOUR SHEETS.. We know who the real bed wetter is...

I really don't have time to argue with morons who hide behind a badge and name themselves macho, in their minds, things like "mayhem like me".:tongueout:

Another good example, www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/11/cleveland_east_cleveland_offic.html

Psychman
12-06-2012, 05:22
Perhaps a 30 minute course on dog behavior made mandatory for street officers would be helpful? Dog charging you with whites of eyes showing, tail down, mouth open, teeth bared = dangerous dog.

Dog approaching with tail up and wagging, no whites of eyes showing, might be barking might not be barking = safe dog and no need to be concerned much less shoot it.

Oh heck a 10 minute session is all that would be needed to teach most cops how to judge a dangerous dog from a safe dog assuming they are willing to learn.

redbaron007
12-06-2012, 06:51
so why did the officer involved not do it?
he finished writing parking tickets.

it might be just me but this situation smells funnier then the apertment next door.

Again, not knowing the leash laws...it may be the officer wasn't familiar enough with the ordinance to issue it...I don't know. But I have seen citations issued two weeks later after a dog bite relating to the leash law. :dunno:

As for the apartment next door....I hope it doesn't smell....if it does...I'd check it out....fortunately, I don't have an apartment next door. :supergrin:

red

redbaron007
12-06-2012, 06:53
Playing devils advocate would it be ok for me to shoot the next drunk or tweeker i think i might have to wrestle or fight because Ive had to do this many time in the past and Ive had enough?

:rofl: :animlol:

Sure! See how far that gets you.

My initial comment was made in satire. My apologies if it wasn't clear. :supergrin:

red

redbaron007
12-06-2012, 06:56

IIRC, ,they were 'going' to show him. I don't think he was a show dog. Just because they are trained to be a show dog, doesn't prevent them from being aggressive. :whistling:

red

HexHead
12-06-2012, 07:34
IIRC, ,they were 'going' to show him. I don't think he was a show dog. Just because they are trained to be a show dog, doesn't prevent them from being aggressive. :whistling:

red

As for the "going to show him", a puppy must be six months old before you can start them in puppy matches.

That puppy was bred from championship stock. Aggressive dogs would never have made it to that stage, going back generations. A show dog has the aggressiveness bred out of them. They probably paid at least $1500 for that puppy, if not much more.

.264 magnum
12-06-2012, 07:42

BB I know you are making a good point. However, euthanizing unwanted dogs and cats is necessary - sad and in a way disgraceful but necessary. Shooting a family pet out of outsized fear or a combination of a little fear, lack of understanding and cop-machismo is a totally different deal.

BTW - my daughter and I regularly volunteer at a no-kill dog and cat shelter near Love Field.

Disintegr8or
12-06-2012, 07:42
That cop is quite the p ussy

redbaron007
12-06-2012, 07:53
As for the "going to show him", a puppy must be six months old before you can start them in puppy matches.

That puppy was bred from championship stock. Aggressive dogs would never have made it to that stage, going back generations. A show dog has the aggressiveness bred out of them. They probably paid at least $1500 for that puppy, if not much more.

Now, that is a line for the ages!! :rofl:

I've seen show dogs be very aggressive on many many occasions. I know it sounds good for your to say it....but the reality, it isn't true. Sorry to disappoint you.

As to how much they paid....if it was a bred show dog, the $1,500 is not even close. They average about that for just AKC registered pups.

red

Dragoon44
12-06-2012, 08:25
if you are attacked you jam your whole arm down the dogs throat and leg lock it ,dog is then incapacitated til help arrives .

Even the greenest rookie is smarter than to do that. The part you seem to be forgetting is that not only would the dog be immobilized but so would you. you would now be vulnerable to an attack from the owner. And you weren't there for a social call, you are there dealing with a violation by the dogs owner.

That puppy was bred from championship stock. Aggressive dogs would never have made it to that stage

I think you are putting entirely to much faith in their claim that the dogs father was a champion and they hoped to show the dog.

Since you are familiar with show dogs then you know full well that just because a dogs sire (Or dam) was a champion does not mean they can or will be.

Dogs with such potential are often not sold by breeders who instead sell the "culls". perfectly fine dogs but who have little or no champion potential. If they do have champion potential and are sold typically it is not an outright sale but a "Co ownership with the breeder. And the dog will cost thousands of dollars. Someone with that kind of investment does not have their dog just follow them out of the house into an un fenced yard. Particularly when the owner is headed to deal with a stranger.

I would bet their mention of the dogs sire being a champion and "hoping" to show the dog is ,little more than an attempt to try and drive up the settlement price.

Mayhem like Me
12-06-2012, 09:11
I really don't have time to argue with morons who hide behind a badge and name themselves macho, in their minds, things like "mayhem like me".:tongueout:

Another good example, www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/11/cleveland_east_cleveland_offic.html

I am not arguing , you are a coward and won't even own up to the intention in your original post.
What deamons are in your past that lay dormant and undiscovered?

And if you have seen the mayhem commercials, and knew me, the title is appropriate, I break stuff and I tend to have a propensity for finding bad guys...mostly luck.

you on the other hand make a snide remark that most people on this board find in bad tatse and won't admit it.

You are an internet bully and I for one am neither afraid of you or intimidated by you...