Help me build a 10/22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a 10/22

ditto1958
12-05-2012, 11:12
Got a challenge here. I need suggestions for modifications to a 10/22. I want to do it "old school," though. A traditional looking stock (preferably walnut, and no thumbhole), open sights, basically, a traditional looking rifle for plinking, controlling pests, etc., that works better than a stock 10/22. Not a target rifle. Picture a poor man's version of Hickok45's range. That's what I'd like to do.

Any suggestions on upgrades to stock, trigger, barrel, sights, recoil buffer, etc., are welcome.

NDLAWRENCE
12-05-2012, 18:40
Buy a KIDD barrel& reciever, bolt, two stage trigger, buffer.

jp3975
12-05-2012, 19:27
https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/12-kits

toddmog
12-05-2012, 20:03
I saw your rifle in the other thread...it looks great! You can keep it stock looking and make it a sleeper. Send your factory bolt and barrel off to Que. He will radius the rear, cross pin the firing pin and headspace the bolt. You can also have him jewel it if your like that look as well as add the VQ extractor (I did this). As far as your barrel goes, he can rechamber it for better accuracy...shorten it and move the front sight back and/or thread the muzzle end. He will also re-crown if needed or requested. He does amazing work at a great price...around $100 depending on options you choose.

https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/

The other thing I would do (and have done) is send the trigger group off to Brimstone for at least a Tier 2 job. You can link to his website from the above link. The Tier 2 job runs $70 and is a HUGE improvement over the stock trigger. With all that said, you retain the stock look of the rifle while greatly improving reliability and accuracy. This is coming from a guy with a KIDD barrel and some other goodies with about $800 in the rifle. The next 10/22 I set up for my son will have the above mentioned upgrades.

ditto1958
12-05-2012, 21:43
I am keeping my sporter rifle stock.

I am hoping to do upgrades on my birch stock carbine.

toddmog
12-05-2012, 23:27
Basically, a traditional looking rifle for plinking, controlling pests, etc., that works better than a stock 10/22. Not a target rifle.

Any suggestions on upgrades to stock, trigger, barrel, sights, recoil buffer, etc., are welcome.

I am keeping my sporter rifle stock.

I am hoping to do upgrades on my birch stock carbine.

I still stand by my original suggestions. You will have a more reliable and accurate rifle that doesn't scream "custom target!"