Jazz pianist Dave Brubeck dead at age 91 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jazz pianist Dave Brubeck dead at age 91

bocaboca
12-05-2012, 11:15
IMO...some of the greatest modern day Jazz that was ever played.
RIP Mr Brubeck.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-dave-brubeck-dead-20121205,0,7126256.column

LASTRESORT20
12-05-2012, 11:18
He will me Missed....always enjoyed his music..RIP...Dave Brubeck you had many fans....

MtBaldy
12-05-2012, 11:37
Sad. Really enjoyed his music. RIP Dave.

Santa CruZin
12-05-2012, 12:33
Dave is on the piano in this clip. It's a favorite of mine.

Dave Brubeck - Take Five - 1966 - YouTube

FullClip
12-05-2012, 12:59
Sorry, but I never could get the whole idea about "jazz". Doesn't even sound like music to me, more like a bunch of people tuning up their instruments with no cohesion.....can't whistle it while walking down the street.:dunno:

Never Nervous
12-05-2012, 16:31
Take Five Dave. RIP.

NN

.264 magnum
12-05-2012, 16:36
What a huge loss.

ETA - How about a little, "Time Changes"?

tous
12-05-2012, 17:24
Sad, indeed.
Heaven's gain is our loss.

Big Bird
12-05-2012, 18:06
Truly a jazz original. One of the classics

Big Bird
12-05-2012, 18:15
Sorry, but I never could get the whole idea about "jazz". Doesn't even sound like music to me, more like a bunch of people tuning up their instruments with no cohesion.....can't whistle it while walking down the street.:dunno:

Jazz works on many levels and its a genre of music that spans more than a century with all kinds of schools and movements.

Its not all Avant Garde.

Benny Goodman is jazz
Louis Armstrong is jazz
Billy Holiday is jazz
Frank Sinatra is jazz
Duke Ellington is jazz

If you really want to understand jazz you need to learn about it. Its truly an original American style of music that no other style can claim...

A good and well done series to watch about jazz is Ken Burn's PBS series "Jazz". Once you know something about it you'll understand it and appreciate it better. But you have to make the effort.

An example of what I'm talking about was posted above. Listen to that clip. Brubeck was an innovator of meter and rhythm. His music was very innovative in terms of the beat... Take Five was one of the first successful jazz tunes to use the Quintuple or 5/4 meter.

skorper
12-05-2012, 19:11
http://youtu.be/Zn2Ob5PepsU

Kasinefect
12-05-2012, 19:15
I play one of his CDs at work now and then in my office. It has been borrowed by others there,(probably copied), more than once. RIP Dave.

bush pilot
12-05-2012, 20:56
Jazz works on many levels and its a genre of music that spans more than a century with all kinds of schools and movements.

Its not all Avant Garde.

Benny Goodman is jazz
Louis Armstrong is jazz
Billy Holiday is jazz
Frank Sinatra is jazz
Duke Ellington is jazz

If you really want to understand jazz you need to learn about it. Its truly an original American style of music that no other style can claim...

A good and well done series to watch about jazz is Ken Burn's PBS series "Jazz". Once you know something about it you'll understand it and appreciate it better. But you have to make the effort.

An example of what I'm talking about was posted above. Listen to that clip. Brubeck was an innovator of meter and rhythm. His music was very innovative in terms of the beat... Take Five was one of the first successful jazz tunes to use the Quintuple or 5/4 meter.

Well said, RIP Mr. Brubeck.

gjk5
12-05-2012, 21:53

Its not all Avant Garde.

Benny Goodman is jazz
Louis Armstrong is jazz
Billy Holiday is jazz
Frank Sinatra is jazz
Duke Ellington is jazz

hell yes, I actually like Dave better than Miles, he was a groundbreaking artist in the field.

BamaBud
12-05-2012, 22:00
Ahhh, Dave Brubeck abd Paul Desmond.

Speaks to my soul.

deputy tom
12-06-2012, 05:31
Sad news indeed. When someone mentions Jazz "Take Five" runs thru my head. RIP Dave. tom.

stevemc
12-06-2012, 15:03

Fullclip,

It's not for everyone. I think if you play you are much more likely to appreciate how incredibly hard it is to do. These guys definitely had something to say. Like the saying goes- just because you don't see it, don't mean nothin's there.
Check out some lighter stuff if you want. I would recommend listening to Kind of Blue.

randrew379
12-06-2012, 15:26
I never got to hear the quartet live, but, as a kid, I attended a concert and a clinic featuring his drummer Joe Morello- a great guy and an amazing player.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Atlas
12-06-2012, 15:29
Wow. I started to post on the news yesterday of Mr. Brubeck's passing, didn't think there'd be so many here who would be interested.

The original Brubeck quartet...
So cool.
A fascinating man.

I know I've listened to "Take Five" (the entire album, not only the tune) hundreds of times. It's always on my MP3 player.
First we lost Desmond, now Brubeck..

And today would have been his 92nd birthday.

I highly recommend "Brubeck And Desmond: The Duets"
Amazon.com: 1975: The Duets (Spec Packaging): Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond: Music@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ojk-pWzmL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Ojk-pWzmL

tous
12-06-2012, 16:01
I was a woodwind player in high school and college. Whilst our peers were gushing over The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, we prayed at the Paul Desmond Church of Alto Saxophone. :notworthy:

When I was playing in a rock and roll band, we used to play Take Five j just to watch the dancers get confuzzled. :supergrin:

Atlas
12-06-2012, 16:09
Miles Davis once said of Desmond "a tenor (sax) isn't supposed to sound like that".

With all respect to the late Mr. Davis, I do not agree.

Tous, I'm sure you have Desmond's "Pure Desmond".
It's one of my all-time fav recordings. Listening to that record is always like a perfect summer afternoon.

Also, "Easy Living" and "Two Of A Mind" with Gerry Mullign.

I read an interview with Brubeck a few years ago.
He had many fun and interesting thing to say about Desmond.

tous
12-06-2012, 16:28
Miles Davis once said of Desmond "a tenor (sax) isn't supposed to sound like that".

With all respect to the late Mr. Davis, I do not agree.

Tous, I'm sure you have Desmond's "Pure Desmond".
It's one of my all-time fav recordings. Listening to that record is always like a perfect summer afternoon.

Also, "Easy Living" and "Two Of A Mind" with Gerry Mullign.

I read an interview with Brubeck a few years ago.
He had many fun and interesting thing to say about Desmond.

Uh, it is expected of a trumpet player to mistake an alto sax for a tenor. :supergrin:

Dear Miles. The tenor has a dip in the neck, the baritone sax has the funny pretzel shape.

I have all of the recordings, especially those on Verve, of The Quartet and Gerry Mulligan. I could sit and listen to them for hours.

Gallium
12-06-2012, 16:48
He was a great musician. I know people who know/worked with him. They say he was a cool dude (stories from the past).

Take five gives me so many memories. One of my 1st gigs was working with a big jazz band, and then a small 5 piece quartet :) every Tuesday nights.

RIP sir.

Atlas
12-06-2012, 16:59
As a child in the early 60's I didn't even know the word "jazz".
One day in 3rd grade we viewed a film on safety, correct behavior while riding the school bus, etc. The soundtrack at one point featured "Everybody's Jumpin'" from the "Take Five" album.

The music made such an impression on me that when I first heard the album about 20 years later I remembered and identified it, note for note.