So I signed up for Radiology school to become a tech [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I signed up for Radiology school to become a tech

w30olds
12-05-2012, 11:44
With the economy and job layoffs this year I decided to go back to school over the summer. I got all of the pre-core classes completed. So yesterday I went and spoke with the program instructor. I was able to get into the radiology program. I'm really super happy to be going for this. I'm very interested in that area of healthcare. It's rather fascinating o me as well. So starting in Jan. 2013 I'm going to start classes.

I was in the RN program and really decided my true interest was imaging. Eventually I'd like to be a CT scan tech down the road.

After 2 layoffs this year I decided this field would be more stable, rewarding and I'd be helping others. Going to be challenging, but I'm going to give it 110% to better myself.

Cheers!

Sent from my iRotary Phone

aplcr0331
12-05-2012, 11:50
Nice, way to go. Is it a certification program or a two year degree program? Any kind of national test or anything you have to pass?

Good luck.

w30olds
12-05-2012, 11:54
Nice, way to go. Is it a certification program or a two year degree program? Any kind of national test or anything you have to pass?

Good luck.

It's a 2 year degree program. There is a national certification exam you gotta pass to be licensed. Good pass rates at the school I attend!

Thanks for the reply!

GeorgiaGlocker
12-05-2012, 11:55
I went this route back in the 70's and decided it was not what I wanted to do. I spent 15 months in a 24 month program before I decided this wasn't for me. I enjoyed most of it but the part I didn't enjoy......I really didn't enjoy.

It was the right decision for me. There is a national exam that you must pass to become an RT.

jame
12-05-2012, 11:56
Great choice.

About 25 years ago, my wife's cousin received his Radiology degree, and landed a great job. Shortly there after, he wanted me to chip in on the purchase of a newish medical technology idea. He wanted $12,500. He wanted to buy a truck and an MRI imaging machine. Mobile MRI.

No way I was investing in anything I didn't understand. I was buying cattle.

Yeah. That worked out great. For him.

He retired last May at the age of 52.

And so it goes.....:dunno:

w30olds
12-05-2012, 11:57
I went this route back in the 70's and decided it was not what I wanted to do. I spent 15 months in a 24 month program before I decided this wasn't for me. I enjoyed most of it but the part I didn't enjoy......I really didn't enjoy.

It was the right decision for me. There is a national exam that you must pass to become an RT.

What did you dislike about it?

GeorgiaGlocker
12-05-2012, 12:03
What did you dislike about it?

In a word fluro. Especially BE's. Also known as barium enemas. They were a mess especially with an elderly patient. There were other procedures that (I do not recall the name at the moment) that I didn't like either. Taking call is also a pain in the rear.

I did enjoy working the ER and surgery the most.

milspecnsn
12-05-2012, 12:04
Excellent career choice! My close friend made same decision late in life and with a young family. It has gone splendidly for him and that was back in the early 90s. Hopefully obummer care won't be a factor for you. Best of luck!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

FullClip
12-05-2012, 12:06
I had never even know what a radiologist was until last winter when I had to take my mother to her daily sessions to treat a little dab of skin cancer she had on the tip of her beak....I mean nose. They were real nice folks, and with the aging population and increase in cancer rates, I think the demand for the profession will increase, and offers job security while providing a needed service that saves lives.

Personally, I don't think I could handle dealing with real bad cancer cases myself, especially some of the little kids I saw at the Cancer Treatment Center. It would break my heart every day.

jame
12-05-2012, 12:21
Personally, I don't think I could handle dealing with real bad cancer cases myself, especially some of the little kids I saw at the Cancer Treatment Center. It would break my heart every day.

With all of his success, the kids are what nearly ended my friends career. It's pretty tough watching young kids die.

I guess that's a call only the individual can make.

GeorgiaGlocker
12-05-2012, 12:47
I must admit that you will see alot of sadness. One of the last patients I x-rayed was a cancer patient and she died about a week later in the hospital. IIRC, she was in her 30's.

You will see anything and everything working in the ER. I x-rayed just about everything you can think of. I saw alot of death too. If you have a problem with blood and guts, you may have a problem with certain x-rays and patients which could effect your graduating from the program.

One of the saddest cases I remember was when this lady was brought into the ER by her husband. He stated that she had fallen off the roof of their house. It was very evident that she was badly beaten. I can still hear the neurologist say that this lady is going to die and there is nothing I can do about it. After she was pronounced dead, the doctor ordered several x-rays for legal reasons. Me and another student took several x-rays of this lady after her death.

Some days are tougher than others.

Dennis in MA
12-05-2012, 12:48
Make sure they give you a glowing recommendation.

12-05-2012, 12:54
In a word fluro. Especially BE's. Also known as barium enemas. They were a mess especially with an elderly patient. There were other procedures that (I do not recall the name at the moment) that I didn't like either. Taking call is also a pain in the rear.

I did enjoy working the ER and surgery the most.

With my dad's cancer, he's had a number of CT/Pet scans and I can't remember them giving him barium enemas. About a year ago or so, they gave him a "milk shake" to drink. Lately, they just tell him to drink water before he goes in.

GeorgiaGlocker
12-05-2012, 12:58
With my dad's cancer, he's had a number of CT/Pet scans and I can't remember them giving him barium enemas. About a year ago or so, they gave him a "milk shake" to drink. Lately, they just tell him to drink water before he goes in.

We did alot of BE's when I was in school. We had 2 rooms going all morning. I have no idea how many are ordered these days.

camelotkid
12-05-2012, 13:50
congrats and good luck!

My other half is finish up prereques and will either be applying for the rad program or the RN program next fall.