What is in your EDC bag? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is in your EDC bag?

TurboRocket
12-05-2012, 14:53
I need to get serious and build my EDC bag (go bag, battle pack, or whatever you call it). What bag do you use, and what do you believe is valuable enough to lug around 24/7?

I know a lot use Maxpedition products but I'm looking for ideas for bags that are more inconspicuous, or less "tactical" in appearance.

For medical equipment/supplies, are kits from Adventure Medical any good? Or should I avoid kits altogether and build from ground up?

eb07
12-05-2012, 14:56
I carry an adidas backpack to be grey. Medkit, navigation kit, extra ammo, full sized pistol, firestarting kit. 3 days food and water. Hygeine kit. Rain gear. etc.

NeverMore1701
12-05-2012, 15:01
I have pockets and am not a woman, so no purse for me. I do have my hiking pack set up as a 72 hour bag in y truck, with enough food and water to get two people through three days pretty easily. Plus shelter, firemaking, FAK, ammo, light, etc.

Bruce M
12-05-2012, 15:03
I make sure I have the stuff I really use in my EDC bag like some antacid, ibuprophen, emergency roll of toilet paper (that one has been a lifesaver more times than I care to remember) isopropyl alcohol, microwave popcorn, baking powder; rather than the stuff I think I might need if I was suddenly that fine line preventing the collapse of western civilization.

wvtarheel
12-05-2012, 15:03
I do not carry a purse.

FlaFF
12-05-2012, 19:26
Goruck GR1 or GR2 depending on your size requirement. I doubt you'll find something better built, and you can now get them without the molle webbing on the outside for a more incognito appearance.
Great company owned by a Green Beret veteran who takes great pride in his company and products.

https://www.goruckgear.com/gear/details/GR1

TurboRocket
12-05-2012, 20:35
I carry an adidas backpack to be grey. Medkit, navigation kit, extra ammo, full sized pistol, firestarting kit. 3 days food and water. Hygeine kit. Rain gear. etc.

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. I have a "regular" dark blue Under Armour backpack that is rugged and still holding up well that I'm thinking will be my EDC bag v. 1.0.

I'm torn whether I will have a spare firearm in it - if I do, it will ride in the truck a lot since I wouldn't be able to lug it into the office with me.

Gregg702
12-05-2012, 20:45
I always have my 638CT and my Kershaw Leek on me, no bag of survival stuff though.

zoyter2
12-05-2012, 21:02
An EDC "BAG"? Oh my hell.

singularity35
12-05-2012, 21:11
This is my purse and some of it's contents.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7509/edc9211.jpg

Gregg702
12-05-2012, 21:12
This is my purse and some of it's contents.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7509/edc9211.jpg

You got your tampons in there too?:rofl:

Steel Head
12-05-2012, 21:44
:whistling:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/MCphan3/twoballs.jpg

unit1069
12-05-2012, 21:49
I need to get serious and build my EDC bag (go bag, battle pack, or whatever you call it). What bag do you use, and what do you believe is valuable enough to lug around 24/7?

You need an absolutely reliable gun/ammo combination that includes a good holster/belt. Anything additional is optional, but my own opinion is KISS.

(PS: ditch the "bag" strategy; you're either prepared for an encounter or you're not).

For the record I don't carry a spare mag (leaving me open to valid criticism/debate) but I do have at least 10 rounds of JHP self-defense opportunity at the ready.

jame
12-05-2012, 22:52
I think a lot of it has to do with the expected need. I keep a small Mountainsmith Tour bag in the Jeep, but it's more for giving myself some minimalist comforts if the bad luck nasties hit me out in the middle of nowhere. Things like a simple radio, a stainless steel cup, a small book (Bible for me), some first aid stuff, pencil and notepad, playing cards, duct tape, and a few spices for making what ever I may find to eat a little more palatable.

When we've been on the road in the past, we're nearly always digging into the bag.

Using one for confrontational purposes during an average, ordinary civilian life is just a waste of time and money, imho.

HollowHead
12-05-2012, 23:07
Am I reading this right? Is this a bag to be left in the car or at work, or to be actually carried around like a purse? HH

jame
12-05-2012, 23:22
I guess I don't really know the OP's intent.

Assumptions abound, I guess, but mine stays in the Jeep, but I could carry mine around if I wanted to.

So........depends?

gjk5
12-05-2012, 23:30
I carry all sorts of stuff in my truck toolbox, but I do not have a Verginerpack, especially a $300 freakin dollar mudflap accessory carrier.

Jesus this place is funny sometimes.

jame
12-05-2012, 23:41
I carry all sorts of stuff in my truck toolbox, but I do not have a Verginerpack, especially a $300 freakin dollar mudflap accessory carrier.

Jesus this place is funny sometimes.

What did he say???? :dunno:

singularity35
12-05-2012, 23:53
You got your tampons in there too?:rofl:

I can feel the hatred in your post. :tongueout:

Did we have a run in in another thread? :upeyes:

CCW rules in my country don't allow IWB carry. You must carry your FA in a bag or a case. It's not pleasant or convenient but it is what it is. Since I carry in a bag, might as well bring stuff around since an empty bag is kinda strange when store security looks inside.

Bushflyr
12-06-2012, 00:59
What did he say???? :dunno:

He was referring to the $300 lunchpail that FlaFF linked. Seriously. Take a $20 kids backpack, sew on some webbing and Velcro, call it "tactical" and bump the price to $300. :upeyes:

NeverMore1701
12-06-2012, 00:59

CCW rules in my country don't allow IWB carry. You must carry your FA in a bag or a case. It's not pleasant or convenient but it is what it is. Since I carry in a bag, might as well bring stuff around since an empty bag is kinda strange when store security looks inside.

Interesting, and a very different situation than here in the states. Thanks for elaborating.

singularity35
12-06-2012, 01:11
Interesting, and a very different situation than here in the states. Thanks for elaborating.

IWB used to be allowed until we had a very rabid anti gun chief of national police. He changed the rules and they are still in effect. It's really a bad deal for legitimate gun owners since bags or cases are the first thing criminals go for in a robbery or snatching.

NeverMore1701
12-06-2012, 01:14
IWB used to be allowed until we had a very rabidly anti gun chief of national police. He changed the rules and they are still in effect. It's really a bad deal for legitimate gun owners since bags or cases are the first thing criminals go for in a robbery or snatching.

Is it just IWB that's off limits, or any on-body carry?

singularity35
12-06-2012, 01:22
Is it just IWB that's off limits, or any on-body carry?

FA's must be concealed so that rules out an outside holster. Shoulder holsters are also a no-no. I alternate between a fanny pack(it's legal since the FA is in a bag) and a "tactical" bag.

NeverMore1701
12-06-2012, 01:26
FA's must be concealed so that rules out an outside holster. Shoulder holsters are also a no-no. I alternate between a fanny pack(it's legal since the FA is in a bag) and a "tactical" bag.

Better than not being able to carry at all, but I hope you can get that stupid rule repealed someday!

singularity35
12-06-2012, 01:30
Better than not being able to carry at all, but I hope you can get that stupid rule repealed someday!

Oh yes, we are still thankful for the privelege of being able to carry. We just have to work within the restrictions.

clancy
12-06-2012, 04:48
Goruck GR1 or GR2 depending on your size requirement. I doubt you'll find something better built, and you can now get them without the molle webbing on the outside for a more incognito appearance.
Great company owned by a Green Beret veteran who takes great pride in his company and products.

https://www.goruckgear.com/gear/details/GR1

$295 for a knapsack? That would cost about 2 or 3 times what I would spend on contents, not counting my pistol.

This is what I always took with me to the Bronx when I had to go there for work:
1911 with 5 mags
Schrade knife
2 2 liter bottles of water
3 MRE's
small first aid kit with Quik Clot added
matches
toilet paper
small flashlight
leather gloves

I figured if bad happened, I could walk the 100 miles to home in 4 days or so, and this would be the basics I would need to help get me there. And it all fit in a knapsack I paid maybe $40 for.

costanza187
12-06-2012, 06:07
It's a satchel.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t416jpp3dEs/TCjg8I6H0CI/AAAAAAAABf0/2pFFJ8RAJOQ/s1600/satchel.jpg

Gregg702
12-06-2012, 09:17

We never had a run in, I was just giving you a hard time. That is odd that you aren't allowed to carry IWB in your country though, I guess the bag is the next best thing.

jtmac
12-06-2012, 09:31
It's a satchel.

It's a European carry-all!

singularity35
12-06-2012, 09:35
We never had a run in, I was just giving you a hard time. That is odd that you aren't allowed to carry IWB in your country though, I guess the bag is the next best thing.

LOL, yeh no problem but yes, the bag is very inconvenient and if not carrying was a better(safer) option I'd probably lose the bag.

TurboRocket
12-08-2012, 06:12
Thanks to all who gave genuine responses. I'll figure it out.

Veedubklown
12-08-2012, 11:14

How do they feel when they find your glock in there, then? :rofl:

That's a bum deal about the lack of CCW in the Philippines, I agree that the satchel-carry would be the most non-lame option. Fanny packs..... ew.
http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/proud-fanny-13.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XU9x8G7khv0/TRJ0IuoR5NI/AAAAAAAAQ_I/TI2y0w40MtY/s1600/fannypaack.jpg

singularity35
12-08-2012, 14:40
How do they feel when they find your glock in there, then? :rofl:

That's a bum deal about the lack of CCW in the Philippines, I agree that the satchel-carry would be the most non-lame option. Fanny packs..... ew.

Well, the glock is in the somewhat "secret" compartment. I just open the flap and show the stuff inside. Fortunately store security here is not too savvy about the "tac" bag. Bank security people are another matter though. Really have to check the glock in.

Veedubklown
12-08-2012, 15:12
Doesn't look like it's real quick on the draw.

NH Trucker
12-08-2012, 15:17
Depending on where I am or am going depends on if I bother with carrying an extra bag of stuff around.

If I'm just going out for the day, I carry my gun IWB, two spare magazines in my pocket, a pocket knife and multi-tool in the other pocket, cell phone, and wallet. I also keep a flashlight in the car so it's there if I'm out past dark, and it's small enough to tuck in a pocket along with all the other stuff.

If it's a work day, I'll bring a day pack. It's actually the backpack I used in high school. In it is the following: Flashlight, "tire thumper," DOT log book, two 1 liter bottles of water, lunch, snacks, cd's, phone car charger, extra pens, roll of TP. Carrying a firearm isn't possible most days because my route is usually in Massachusetts.

If me and my wife are driving long distance through unpopulated areas or in bad weather, then I'll pack the car accordingly depending on what time of year it is.

HollowHead
12-08-2012, 15:40
Fanny packs..... ew.

The correct term is sporran. HH

houseflipper
12-08-2012, 16:04
I have pockets and am not a woman, so no purse for me. I do have my hiking pack set up as a 72 hour bag in y truck, with enough food and water to get two people through three days pretty easily. Plus shelter, firemaking, FAK, ammo, light, etc.
Sorry what is FAK ?

singularity35
12-08-2012, 16:08
Sorry what is FAK ?

FAK=First Aid Kit

Yep, bags aren't any too quick on the draw if you have to open the zipper first. Although, if you already have the zipper open, it's a bit quicker to reach inside and do the presentation.

Rick C
12-08-2012, 16:26
Ask Brenda, she knows all.:cool:

SPIN2010
12-08-2012, 16:28
Water filter, fire starting, and shelter (bivy w/emerg reflective blanket/35F bag & FAK w/superglue). Set of light weight quick dry thermal clothes with poly-prop socks, knee pads, and gloves.

I also have a backpack rain poncho that doubles as a hanging tarp. Next comes a multi-tool along with a surefire light and of course a firearm with three mags. I almost forgot my spork.

All in Maxpedition Mongo sissy bag that carrys very well.

cesaros
12-08-2012, 16:32
3day assault bag (free...issued equipment)

has medical supplies, IV's, IV fluids (about 3 liters), bandaging materials, antibiotics.

about 250rnds of .22LR ammo

super tiny cooking stove (about 2inches tall by 1inch wide...burns at 12,000BTU), fire starter, extra knives, SOG multitool.

cold weather gear, socks, gloves, tarp, poncho, 550 cord.

Katadyn water filter (filter upto 250 gallons, even staggnant pools of water), with adapter to attach straight to the mouth piece of my 3liter camel-bak.

Solar powered and hand crank am/fm/weather/emergency radio...also has an adapter to power small electronic devices like a cell phone.

This is only for long trips tho...otherwise I don't carry much.

jtmac
12-08-2012, 16:49
Thanks to all who gave genuine responses. I'll figure it out.

I didn't give a serious answer, but I am a bag carrier. Right now I have a backpack that is my "laptop" bag and carries a small variety of other odds and ends, but if I didn't have to carry my laptop around I'd have another type of "man purse".

Regardless of what you put in it, the issue of how you'll put it in is what makes it hard. It's harder when you have certain things you have to carry with you that may be big/heavy/awkward. Even without those things, though, trying to carry a bunch of small, unconnected items can be maddening.

My best advice is to get some kind of organizer, preferably one intended to organize things vertically or keep them separated. Anything to keep your bag from becoming a jumbled junk drawer. I have no suggestions here, as I'm still trying to find something that works for me.

Kevin108
12-08-2012, 16:49
http://kevin108.com/files/images/forums/glocktalk/edc2012.jpg

Eee 701 w/ charger
Kobalt Multi-Tool
Pill case with 12 ibuprofen
G26 with G17 mag and grip sleeve
Mini-Maglite with lock picks
Lighter and dryer lint
Compass
Maglite XL50
Spare G26 mag

Not shown:
12v charger for Eee 701
Nite Eyez Headband for either flashlight
Additional G26 mag

Agent6-3/8
12-08-2012, 17:00
I lug enough **** around at work that I'm not going to carry a bunch of crap around with me every day when I'm with my wife. In addition to my wallet and keys I carry a pocket knife, G19 and one reload. If its dark or I'm going to be out late I'll take a good flashlight along.

Nothing wrong with keeping some tools and a first aid kit, etc in your vehicle, but lugging around a "EDC" bag everywhere you go is a bit excessive, IMO.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jtmac
12-08-2012, 17:54
I lug enough **** around at work that I'm not going to carry a bunch of crap around with me every day when I'm with my wife.

Wives: Packmules of the 21st century.

larry_minn
12-08-2012, 18:55
Old computer laptop bags. Most useful items? New socks, underware, Toothbrush/paste, meds, flashlight, and shirt. Often has sweat pants in it. They work as PJs, replacement for wet/damaged clothing...

HollowHead
12-08-2012, 19:10
Old computer laptop bags. Most useful items? New socks, underware, Toothbrush/paste, meds, flashlight, and shirt. Often has sweat pants in it. They work as PJs, replacement for wet/damaged clothing...

Ever since the one and only time I ate at Runza's, new underwear and wetnaps have been part of my car's emergency kit. HH

TurboRocket
12-09-2012, 08:34
I have plenty of older laptop bags that I could put to this use, but I think it might attract unnecessary attention if it rides inside the truck too much. If my primary vehicle was a passenger car with a trunk, I wouldn't worry as much.

Gonna go with my UnderArmour back pack. First priorities I think will be FAK, water, some power bars, fire-making, water filtration, space blankets, improvised shelter, paracord, duct tape, simple tools and a Leatherman, Mechanix gloves, and a few other misc. items.

Dogbite
12-09-2012, 09:07
I have a Maxpedition Sitka. I take it in my car, and then when I get to work, take it inside with me. If I broke down or something, it could be carried like a day pack. If I am out somewhere it stays in the car.
Listen, you guys can call it anything you want, its an awesome concept.
I have used the contents so many times. You just have everything you need in it when away from the house.
I have in mine

flashlight
extra mag for carry gun
extra knife and knife sharpener
Meds
small med kit
sometimes a pistol
duct tape rolled around a sharpie
super glue
nail clippers
small bottle of water
2 paper towels
small amount of extra food
p-38
sealed in plastic fork
mini pry bar
gloves
razor blade
magnifying glass
Thats all I can think of right now...

Dogbite
12-09-2012, 09:23
Ever since the one and only time I ate at Runza's, new underwear and wetnaps have been part of my car's emergency kit. HH

Ha!:rofl:

TurboRocket
12-09-2012, 09:40
I have a Maxpedition Sitka. I take it in my car, and then when I get to work, take it inside with me. If I broke down or something, it could be carried like a day pack. If I am out somewhere it stays in the car.
Listen, you guys can call it anything you want, its an awesome concept.
I have used the contents so many times. You just have everything you need in it when away from the house.
I have in mine

flashlight
extra mag for carry gun
extra knife and knife sharpener
Meds
small med kit
sometimes a pistol
duct tape rolled around a sharpie
super glue
nail clippers
small bottle of water
2 paper towels
small amount of extra food
p-38
sealed in plastic fork
mini pry bar
gloves
razor blade
magnifying glass
Thats all I can think of right now...

:thumbsup: Nice list. Gives me more ideas. Thank you.

JAS104
12-09-2012, 10:11
$295 for a knapsack? That would cost about 2 or 3 times what I would spend on contents, not counting my pistol.

This is what I always took with me to the Bronx when I had to go there for work:
1911 with 5 mags
Schrade knife
2 2 liter bottles of water
3 MRE's
small first aid kit with Quik Clot added
matches
toilet paper
small flashlight
leather gloves

I figured if bad happened, I could walk the 100 miles to home in 4 days or so, and this would be the basics I would need to help get me there. And it all fit in a knapsack I paid maybe $40 for.

How were you able to being your 1911 to the Bronx? I thought NYC was a strict no no

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)