how can this happen ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how can this happen ?

ca survivor
12-05-2012, 16:13
Police: Handcuffed high school student shoots self in back of police car

By NBC News staff
Updated at 2:47 p.m. ET: A handcuffed Houston-area high school student shot himself in the head Wednesday while in the back of a police car, officials said.

The student was rushed to Ben Taub Hospital. His condition was not released, but officials said he was conscious and breathing when he was transported, Click2Houston.com reported (http://www.click2houston.com/news/Galena-Park-ISD-Student-shoots-self-at-school/-/1735978/17664878/-/biwrly/-/index.html).
No one else was hurt.
The incident began when police were called to North Shore Senior High School in unincorporated Harris County to investigate a report of a student with a firearm, said Capt. Jon Moore with the Harris County Constable Precinct 3.

The student was searched, handcuffed behind his back and placed in the back of a patrol car but apparently still had a gun, Moore said.
The student then shot himself, Galena Park Independent School District officials said.
District spokesman Jonathan Frey gave the following account:
This morning at North Shore Senior High School, a student was arrested. He was searched, handcuffed, and placed in the back of a police car. While in the car, the student retrieved a hidden gun and shot himself. Paramedics were called and quickly arrived on scene. He was transported to the hospital still conscious when he left. His family accompanied him to the hospital.
Students at North Shore Senior High School remain safe. Counselors are available for students as needed.
It was not immediately clear if officers had taken another gun from the student before he was placed in the patrol car, Moore said.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office will investigate the shooting, Moore said.

wjv
12-05-2012, 16:20
That sucks. . .

Sadly the family will probably sue the cops for "not doing enough" to protect the poor darling from himself. . .

Adjuster
12-05-2012, 16:22
Is this a new incident or the same one from 6 months ago? How can people keep shooting themselves in the back of police cars?

/

rednoved
12-05-2012, 16:26
This isn't the first time this has happened. So was the kid trying to off himself?

packin23
12-05-2012, 16:27
That sucks. . .

Sadly the family will probably sue the cops for "not doing enough" to protect the poor darling from himself. . .

You say that but how do the cops not find the gun when they search him? It coulda went the other way and the cop coulda got shot in the back of the head while transporting him.

Gonzoso
12-05-2012, 16:32
You say that but how do the cops not find the gun when they search him? It coulda went the other way and the cop coulda got shot in the back of the head while transporting him.

You think cops don't make mistakes? That kids can't hide stuff well?

We train kids to hide stuff and evade authority in public schools.

As kids we went through metal detectors, buses were selected at random. I learned to remove the foil from my cigarettes and would pin a sock to my underwear to conceal smokes or my pocket knife from the searches. Just put the pin near a button on the jeans or belt buckle. Worked every time.

Hiding a little derringer wouldn't be hard at all.

ca survivor
12-06-2012, 06:17
Is this a new incident or the same one from 6 months ago? How can people keep shooting themselves in the back of police cars?

/

and"The student was searched, handcuffed behind his back" don't know, I can't even reach my wallet with both hands in the back.

ray9898
12-06-2012, 06:46
Lots of people have the flexibility to remove concealed items. The problem with finding these items is most hide them in an area that is very private and personal to search. I could see an officer not go the distance with a student.

Lowjiber
12-06-2012, 06:47
I can hear his mother now..."He was just getting his life turned around. If these evil police officers had done their job, he would have been President of the United States in a few years."

Brother...please.

DaleGribble
12-06-2012, 07:00
Police miss things on pat down searches, they're human and it happens.

I've personally seen it happen twice. I once patted down a suspect, who was in cuffs, and found a gun in his sweater. The arresting officer never felt it. In another incident an officer arrested a female, cuffed her and put her in the back of his car and she slipped her cuffs under her legs and retrieved a derringer from her bra, pointed it at the back of the officers head as he was driving and pulled the trigger. Fortunately for him the gun was unloaded and the skank didn't know it.

The officers involved were both good guys that just screwed up, it happens. I've missed things in the past as well.

Bren
12-06-2012, 07:09
Same as it happened in the identical case that was the subject of a thread here a few months ago, and in many other cases. Same as it ahppened when a guy who had been searched and arrested pulled a gun out and shot a police chief in the back of the head in a town I used to live in. Even people going into jail and prison, who have been searched repeatedly, manage to smuggle things in. A pat down on the side of the road is a long way from a strip search. Glad he shot himself instead of the police.

Bren
12-06-2012, 07:12
and"The student was searched, handcuffed behind his back" don't know, I can't even reach my wallet with both hands in the back.

The you have a physical problem - overweight or bad joints being likely. A reasonable thin teenager couold easily do this, as was demonstrated in the prior case we discussed here. I believe the police even made a video demonstrating it, as part of the investigation.

ca survivor
12-06-2012, 11:28
I can hear his mother now..."He was just getting his life turned around. If these evil police officers had done their job, he would have been President of the United States in a few years."

Brother...please.

you are forgetting the part where he was going to buy a house for her.

ca survivor
12-06-2012, 11:30
The you have a physical problem - overweight or bad joints being likely. A reasonable thin teenager couold easily do this, as was demonstrated in the prior case we discussed here. I believe the police even made a video demonstrating it, as part of the investigation.

not over weight but 60. :rofl: