Platypus wearing chainmaille [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Platypus wearing chainmaille

MrsKitty
12-05-2012, 17:42
I did this for Christmas present. I have been having a fit to
share this little guy but I couldn't until the recipient got it...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/photo10.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/photo9.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/photo3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/photo6.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/photo4.jpg

HandyMan Hugh
12-05-2012, 17:46
Kitty, that is just too-too! Too funny, and too cute.
I love it!

That took a lot of work to make. How many hours do you have in it?

tous
12-05-2012, 17:48
Neato!

:thumbsup:

MrsKitty
12-05-2012, 17:58
Kitty, that is just too-too! Too funny, and too cute.
I love it!

That took a lot of work to make. How many hours do you have in it?

You know, I'm not sure. I worked on it six nights at work but I might only have gotten to pick him up about half the time before I had to put him down and, well, work. I did spend about 90 minutes on the very front of the top of head where I decreased the size. I spent about 20 minutes on the JPL under his chin but other than that, I'm not sure.

A lot of it I had to do, un-do, redo to get it to look right. I have never made any kind of armor or any large project before. I stick to jewelry.

It was really, really hard to mail him. I fell in love with the little guy and the people in my office had an absolute blast watching me work on him. When I finished him, one guy grabbed him and took off running around to show everybody. :rofl:

TK-421
12-05-2012, 18:11
I'll be waiting for my Platypus to show up in the mail shortly. :tongueout:

That is just too cool, I'm jealous.

Dubble-Tapper
12-05-2012, 18:23
you make chainmaille?!? that is sweet. now that the platypus is done, can you start on Dubble-Tappers?

Adjuster
12-05-2012, 18:24
Man that's crazy. That is like the 3rd Platypus wearing chainmaille I've seen this week!

:rofl:

/

CanMan
12-05-2012, 18:48
Way cool! He's such a cute and benign looking little fellar though....

NeverMore1701
12-05-2012, 18:48
Bahahaha that's just great!

Chuck TX
12-05-2012, 19:24
That's pretty sweet.

dherloc
12-05-2012, 19:29
Where's Perry?

TK-421
12-05-2012, 19:48
Where's Perry?

He doesn't have the hat. Until he has the hat, he's just a regular Platypus.

Phineas and ferb - YouTube

Lone_Wolfe
12-05-2012, 22:08
That's just too cute! Now I want one.... :rofl:

TK-421
12-05-2012, 22:16
That's just too cute! Now I want one.... :rofl:

Hey now, don't get greedy, I called dibs. :tongueout:

MrsKitty
12-05-2012, 22:26
I'll be waiting for my Platypus to show up in the mail shortly. :tongueout:

That is just too cool, I'm jealous.

I would have loved to keep this little guy. I have some other ideas that I want to try out one day. I have more ideas than time and money for wire. :rofl:

MrsKitty
12-05-2012, 22:27
If anybody gets one it's going to be me!!!

TK-421
12-05-2012, 22:31
Next you need to find a Perry plushie and make him a chainmail hat.

BEER
12-05-2012, 22:47
that's cute and all but he'd look better wearing japanese box-mail.

i keed i keed, any chainmail is awesome in my opinion.

janice6
12-05-2012, 23:52
That's marvelous work. I love the picture.

I feel my obligation to my family is to keep them from getting too dull. Getting older doesn't mean you can't have fun. That is fun!

It is a perfect picture. Congratulations on a wonderful job.

I have two stuffed Sea Otters I picked up from Monterey. I wonder what I can find for them. Great idea.

Averageman
12-06-2012, 08:14
Dadgum wanna be Armadillo is what it is.

SomeDay
12-06-2012, 08:25
That's cool.

JAS104
12-06-2012, 08:55
That's so awesome lol.
I kinda want to outfit my dog in chainmail now.

hintidy hint hint. :impatient:

MrsKitty
12-06-2012, 19:26
That's so awesome lol.
I kinda want to outfit my dog in chainmail now.

hintidy hint hint. :impatient:

I have put my bracelets on my cats before as collars. They didn't find it nearly as funny as the humans did...

MrsKitty
12-06-2012, 19:28
Thank you for all the compliments. The recipient *loved* it. :supergrin:

TK-421
12-06-2012, 19:31
I have put my bracelets on my cats before as collars. They didn't find it nearly as funny as the humans did...

I bet it sucks for them, all those metal rings pinching and tugging on their hair. Probably isn't too comfortable for them.

But now you have me tempted to put my bracelets on my cats too. :rofl:

Rutha73
12-06-2012, 20:18
That is awesome!!! I bet a raccoon would look good in chainmail...

MrsKitty
12-07-2012, 16:18
That is awesome!!! I bet a raccoon would look good in chainmail...

I've been watching the dog toys at Wally World for a certain critter I have in mind. A dog toy would be the perfect size for my idea...

MrsKitty
12-07-2012, 16:19
I bet it sucks for them, all those metal rings pinching and tugging on their hair. Probably isn't too comfortable for them.

But now you have me tempted to put my bracelets on my cats too. :rofl:

My closures are much better than that. :supergrin:

blkpag1
12-07-2012, 17:03
Nice work!

TK-421
12-07-2012, 17:05
My closures are much better than that. :supergrin:

Actually I was thinking the rings themselves rubbing together and pinching the fur, not the closures.

TheExplorer
12-07-2012, 17:36
Very cool indeed. I especially like the center point on the head.

MrsKitty
12-08-2012, 10:32
Very cool indeed. I especially like the center point on the head.

Thank you. I didn't get a good shot that shows it but the bottom next to his butt also tapers down into a center point although it's not in graduated rings.

I wish I had been able to use a greater variety of rings on top of his head but I only had so many sizes on hand. Next time I will take that into consideration when I am ordering a platypus and also order a few more rings.

TK-421
12-08-2012, 11:43
Thank you. I didn't get a good shot that shows it but the bottom next to his butt also tapers down into a center point although it's not in graduated rings.

I wish I had been able to use a greater variety of rings on top of his head but I only had so many sizes on hand. Next time I will take that into consideration when I am ordering a platypus and also order a few more rings.

Where do you get your rings from? What metal are they?

MrsKitty
12-08-2012, 12:29
Where do you get your rings from? What metal are they?

Unless it is just something Curt doesn't carry, I get my rings from C&T Designs. I used his bright aluminum in a variety of sizes in 16g for this with the JPL under his chin done in 14g.

He ships fast and his product is super shiny right out of the box packed in labeled Ziplocs. I've used his BA, AA, rainbow niobium, Argentenium, brass, copper and stainless. His range of sizes is and materiels is geared more toward jewelry than armor but since I'm not doing armor, that's not a problem for me.

There are certain AA colors that I still have to get from The Ring Lord because Curt doesn't have them. I have burnished and tumbled TRL's product for hours and it just will not shine up like Curt's. Also, I like Curt's bronze better as it's a much more gorgeous color.

Curt's rings are higher than TRL but they are ready to use right out of the box. He ships almost instantly, too.

www.candtdesigns.com

TK-421
12-08-2012, 12:33
Have you ever used rings from Fire Mountain Gems? If so, how do they compare to Curt's stuff, or The Ring Lord?

MrsKitty
12-08-2012, 12:37
A little more of my work:

http://i.imgur.com/vbrCq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BlWlj.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/photo1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/hkwatch.jpg

Note this is joined http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/joinedjpl.jpg

Gareth68
12-08-2012, 13:31
This thread makes me think of the Armored Hot Dog thread.

MrsKitty
12-09-2012, 12:18
Have you ever used rings from Fire Mountain Gems? If so, how do they compare to Curt's stuff, or The Ring Lord?

FMG's aluminum rings are very, very soft. If you use the 12g for something like a byz you'll be OK. I think only the 16g and up was saw cut. It's been at least four years since I've bought aluminum from them...but the rest was very nasty machine cut. I will say that on the 16g and up, they were tumbled to a mirror polish. Stay away from plated rings. FMG does carry the soft plastic rings but I wasn't impressed with the ones I got from them. They seemed awful weak to me.

I use FMG for a lot of other stuff though. I love their Zebra Wire which is a dead soft copper for Viking knit and I've been trying to master wire kumihimo but again, that's something you have to use dead soft wire for.

I've heard great things about Blue Buddha Boutique's rings but I've never used them. Rebeca Mojica, who wrote Chained, runs B3 and her work is incredible.

I've heard good things about Metal Designz (I think that's right) in Canada, West Coast Chainmaille, Spider Chains and a couple more but I just love spending my money with Curt.

If you decid to try TRL, get ready to get nasty rings that you have to burnish and you still won't get to shine like Curt's do right out of the box. Also, nothing that you get from him, unless it is AA (or things like scales and tags) will be labeled. I have had a really hard time telling his bronze apart from his copper and some of the stuff I've gotten is not what I ordered. Except for his anodized stuff, I'm not impressed with his product.

Also, both Jon and Bernice (Jon is *the* RL and I suspect Bernice is his wife but I've never heard anything definitive on that) will not answer questions. I asked Bernice one almost 3 weeks that has not been answered yet. I have seen Jon tell somebody that he didn't know what he was talking about when the guy wasn't able to figure out which rings were what in his order because the bronze and copper is so close and the rings sizes were not matching his order.

On the other hand, I once asked Curt something on a Sunday afternoon and he answered me in about two hours. I've never called Curt to ask multiple questions but I know people who have and they say that he's great.

I am wanting to try titanium and I will be getting it from TRL as soon as he gets some of the mixes back in. A lot of his stock is getting low so he will be winding and cutting in the near future.

Do you do any maille now?

walt cowan
12-09-2012, 12:34
impressive work of art.