I-Pad question/help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I-Pad question/help

bush pilot
12-05-2012, 21:09
I'm looking at buying I-Pads for two girls for Christmas. One's a sophomore in high school and the other is a freshman. They have wi-fi in their house and would be using them for homework and the other things girls that age use them for. Both girls are straight A students and will be attending college in 2-3 years. I plead ignorance on this subject and would like some ideas/suggestions on what version or model would be most beneficial for them at this stage.

jame
12-05-2012, 21:37
I bought one for my wife last year, and now she won't put the darned thing down.

I certainly understand your hesitancy. I was confused, too. Don't be, because the options are pretty simple.

I would just buy them the basic Ipad, and let them take it from there. This year, you will have to decide between the full size standard model, or the Ipad Mini. From what I understand, they're basically the same units, it's just that one is bigger than the other. There are some technical differences to be sure, but it's nothing most non techies will really care about.

Very generous! Well done, buddy!

Ohio Copper
12-05-2012, 21:47
iPad 2 or 4? And is there a difference, like the iPhones? I have a 4s and my brother has a 5, I can't tell the difference.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jame
12-05-2012, 22:28
Well, for information you might need to make a decision, you might want to check here:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

686Owner
12-05-2012, 22:32
It depends on how they will use it. You can get an LTE model if they won't always be using it on wifi, or if you can't hotspot with a phone.

As far as capacity. It depends on how they will use it, but 16GB is pretty small IMO. Apps are only going to be larger now with the retina display. If they use iTunes match instead of storing all their music on it, it will save some space, but cost $25 a year.

The iPad mini looks like it will make a great e-reader, but it's priced too high for me. It is essentially a scaled down iPad 2.

HollowHead
12-05-2012, 22:43
We won an Ipad 3 in a raffle a few months ago and have grown to love it. The kids should take to it like ducks to water but it has one hell of a learning curve for adults since the come with no instructions. Apple assumes an aptitude. HH

certifiedfunds
12-05-2012, 22:52
What is an ipad 4?

OP: I would consider either the ipad mini or the ipad 3 (the new ipad). Ipad 2 is getting a little long in the tooth from an obsolescence standpoint. I have an ipad 2, and it functions fine for what I need but it's, what? about a year and a half old? In idevice time that's quite a bit.

Personally, I'd prefer the mini but it really depends on what they will use it for. The good news is they can always exchange it.

Buy the most memory you can afford. Movies, music (stuff kids are into) take a lot.

jame
12-05-2012, 22:54
The Ipad Mini is on my short list.

mikesull415
12-06-2012, 00:56
Certified apple junkie here. The best option price wise is the iPad 2. Definitely go for 32 gb or higher if you can as the 16 gb fills up quick. I wouldn't bother with the 3G models since 1. They're more expensive and 2. Most everywhere has wifi now. If you've got a little more to spend try and find a couple of the 3rd generation ones. It'll save you about $50 off the price of a 4th gen model and the only thing you'll be giving up is the new charger and an upgraded camera

G-Lock808
12-06-2012, 01:50
What is an ipad 4?

OP: I would consider either the ipad mini or the ipad 3 (the new ipad).

The iPad 3 was replaced by the iPad with retina display(iPad4), a mont or two ago. The 2, 4, and mini are the only ones being manufactured.

airmotive
12-06-2012, 04:45
Wifey has been using iPads since they first came out.
Just last month, her work bought her an iPad mini as a little thank you bonus.
At first, she asked if I wanted it, because she didn't think she would like the size...now, it's her main squeeze. Actually, she again asked me if I wanted it because she's going to buy the 64gig version (this one is only 16gig). The mini is 1/2 the size of the regular...it really is just the right size. It's big enough to work on (unlike an iPhone) but small enough to hold easily. I always feel like I'm about to drop an iPad. A mini i can hold easily with one hand.

BearMBD
12-06-2012, 04:58
Does any iPad come with USB for a portable hard drive or is it just equipped for internal media

airmotive
12-06-2012, 05:11
Does any iPad come with USB for a portable hard drive or is it just equipped for internal media

Not USB...but instead a proprietary port for which you must buy an adapter.

BearMBD
12-06-2012, 05:17
okay thank you for the help

DARKSHADOW
12-06-2012, 05:39
The iPad 3 was replaced by the iPad with retina display(iPad4), a mont or two ago. The 2, 4, and mini are the only ones being manufactured.

Are you sure? I thought there was the Ipad, Ipad2, the New Ipad (aka with retina display and lighting port), and then the Ipad mini. That would be four total including the mini. :dunno:

ETA: I think they skipped 3 all together and just called it the "New Ipad".

SGT_Calle
12-06-2012, 05:44
Are you sure? I thought there was the Ipad, Ipad2, the New Ipad (aka with retina display and lighting port), and then the Ipad mini. That would be four total including the mini. :dunno:

ETA: I think they skipped 3 all together and just called it the "New Ipad".

I have the late model inbetweener that's the one with retina and old plug, not really sure what its official designation is. I got it as a going away gift about two weeks before the new models came out.

DARKSHADOW
12-06-2012, 05:58
OP, me personaly I would pass on the Ipad 2, mainly because of apple switching to the newer conection port. I would think that the young ladies probably carry smaller purses if any at all, and that the Ipad mini would be easier to carry in a purse. So you could get the mini in 32g for $70 cheaper than the retina Ipad in 16g. Or for an extra $30 you can get the mini in 64g over the retina 16g.

Mini 32g $429.
Retina 16g $499.
Mini 64g $529.

Those three would be my choice.

DARKSHADOW
12-06-2012, 06:01
I have the late model inbetweener that's the one with retina and old plug, not really sure what its official designation is. I got it as a going away gift about two weeks before the new models came out.

Ok, I didn't know. :wavey:

Disintegr8or
12-06-2012, 06:31
Might as well buy the latest version because it will be replaced in 3 months anyways.

My Wife wanted a Kindle Fire last Christmas so I bought her one. Now she used the hell out of it reading, but didn't like the apps or the web browsing so I got her a iPad retina this year. She uses her iPhone as a hotspot and has a MiFi for her work so I only got the WiFi version...Seems everywhere you go nowadays there is WiFi, so I would save the money and get the WiFi one.

Should have asked this question a week before black friday because Apple had iPad's for $50.00 off.

Dan_ntx
12-06-2012, 07:36
I'm using a 16 gig iPad 1 that I got about a week after it was introduced... Other than display resolution (this one is still shows HD video) and the interface with Apple TV, there is not much of a difference at all.

Save your cash, get a couple of 16 gig wifi only ipad2's for $399 or better each. They will be thrilled and since the OS updates are free, they will always have an up to date device. Same plug as the iPhone, iPod, etc...easy interface, and great little devices.

As for the memory issue...everything is saved in my cloud automatically so I can access it from any apple device at any time. Music, movies, pics, documents...everything. 7 devices in my family plus an iMac...and we leave notes for each other, manage schedules, shopping lists, etc wih no effort at all. I don't know what I would use a USB memory stick for...but if I had to have one there are several wireless ones available (hamacher schlemer catalog has one) that allow USB interface to your PC and wireless file transfer to your iPad if you require that.

Retina display on the 3 is cool, but I can't tell the difference and the HD resolution I get on my thumbprint smudged...old..."obsolete"...original iPad (no camera!!!) is fine. Get them wifi only 2's and you will be superdad.

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 07:37

I don't think that's accurate. Got a link?

ipad
ipad 2
"the new ipad with retina" = ipad 3

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 07:38

Ooohhhhhh!

My bad

mgs
12-06-2012, 07:44
Buy them a real Laptop! I have an IPad that work provided......waste of money and just a toy. Touch screen drives me nuts. Windows 8 will fail also.....built for idiots is my take on it. My wife has a Kindle Fire. She likes to read on it, play Words with Friends....give me a real book anyday. Just another machine kids don't need IMHO.

HexHead
12-06-2012, 07:44

No, the 3 introduced the Retina display to the iPad. The 4 has a faster processor and the Lighning connector. The 4 has replaced the 3.

HexHead
12-06-2012, 07:54
I'm using a 16 gig iPad 1 that I got about a week after it was introduced... Other than display resolution (this one is still shows HD video) and the interface with Apple TV, there is not much of a difference at all.

Save your cash, get a couple of 16 gig wifi only ipad2's for $399 or better each. They will be thrilled and since the OS updates are free, they will always have an up to date device. Same plug as the iPhone, iPod, etc...easy interface, and great little devices.

As for the memory issue...everything is saved in my cloud automatically so I can access it from any apple device at any time. Music, movies, pics, documents...everything. 7 devices in my family plus an iMac...and we leave notes for each other, manage schedules, shopping lists, etc wih no effort at all.

Not being able to mirror the original iPad with Apple TV is a pain for me. You can't send video from apps to your TV.

No, they don't support older devices forever. I can't load iOS6 on my original iPad, it's not suppported any longer. Because of changes to the processors and their internal memory, Apple seems to only be able to support their iOS devices for only two generations. I doubt iOS7 when released will install on an iPad2. and maybe not the original iPad Mini since it uses the same processor.

As for capacity, go with a 32. My original iPad is a 32gb one. I have a few hundred photos on it. My music is all on the Cloud. I have maybe one video on it. The rest is just apps. I was looking for something one day and stumbled on it telling me I have 13gb left. I'm glad I didn't get the 16gb one.

GreenDrake
12-06-2012, 07:59
Consider saving a few bucks and going to the Apple store online and buying refurbs. I have done this with several Apple products and have had zero issues they are just like new. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Resqu2
12-06-2012, 08:30

ipad
ipad 2

Then add to your list the 4th gen IPad, new connector like the IPhone 5 and bigger chip, A6 I think.

Then add the Mini and your list is complete

Dan_ntx
12-06-2012, 08:40
Not being able to mirror the original iPad with Apple TV is a pain for me. You can't send video from apps to your TV.

No, they don't support older devices forever. I can't load iOS6 on my original iPad, it's not suppported any longer. Because of changes to the processors and their internal memory, Apple seems to only be able to support their iOS devices for only two generations. I doubt iOS7 when released will install on an iPad2. and maybe not the original iPad Mini since it uses the same processor.

As for capacity, go with a 32. My original iPad is a 32gb one. I have a few hundred photos on it. My music is all on the Cloud. I have maybe one video on it. The rest is just apps. I was looking for something one day and stumbled on it telling me I have 13gb left. I'm glad I didn't get the 16gb one.

You are correct on all technical points...the original iPad won't interface with Apple tv, it does not have a camera, and it won't upgrade to the latest iOS...(my mistake on the last point).

However... What it can't do was developed after it was introduced, and the ipad2 is absolutely capable...as is the 3... As is the mini... As is whatever comes next. For what it's worth, my old original plays with the new devices perfectly, all my vids and music are in the cloud, and other than apps...there is nothing on my iPad that uses memory. I just looked and I have 8.7 gb available.

My point to the OP was that all the iPads work great, and for inexperienced users a 64gig top of the line, latest and greatest, may be a waste of $$$. Loaded up they can get over $700 and considering you can get a nice 16gig ipad2 for $399 or less...

I have a house full of apple devices...and my old 16 gig original iPad is still used as much as any of them. I'm waiting on a 16 gig mini to arrive, so maybe that will take its place...

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 09:32
Then add to your list the 4th gen IPad, new connector like the IPhone 5 and bigger chip, A6 I think.

Then add the Mini and your list is complete

yeah I admit I missed the ipad 3 refresh

Dennis in MA
12-06-2012, 09:48
Not USB...but instead a proprietary port for which you must buy an adapter.

And once you have the adapter, you can load onto SD or some sort of memory card.

I'm still trying to figure out why people want that in a world that is going all virtual.

Taphius
12-07-2012, 01:10
And once you have the adapter, you can load onto SD or some sort of memory card.

I'm still trying to figure out why people want that in a world that is going all virtual.

When there is no wifi/3g/4g connection. I take my portable hdd and a usb Y cable on road trips and play movies from it on my gs3/note2/nexus 7

I would buy them a laptop instead....ultrabooks can be had at near the same price as an ipad with 32gb and do much more.

Refurbed ipad3 would probably be the best price/features ratio unless you need a smaller tablet. I cant stand to look at the ipad mini screen (or other none hd screens) after getting my current items

Deanster
12-07-2012, 02:13
IMHO, the iPad mini 16gb is the current best choice for a gift. Modest price, plenty of capability, enough storage for music/movies, as long as you don't need to keep a giant library of movies to choose from.

The iPad 2 is still for sale, and the larger screen and overall size aren't a huge win vs. the Ipad mini. I just finally have swapped my 2 for the mini, and couldn't be happier.

I haven't done more than play with the 4 at the Apple store, and it seems to have addressed some of my concerns with the 3, such as slow video performance. However, it's still awfully big and heavy - the thickness and weight increase from 2 to 3 was a show-stopper for me. While empirically not all that big a change, it pushed the iPad from 'slightly heavier than I want to hold when reading or viewing a movie' to 'unpleasantly heavy'.

The retina display of the 3/4 is amazing. But the extra battery, charging time, and weight needed to support the display made it less attractive than the 2 for me, which is how I ended up returning my iPad 3.

The iPad mini is an absolute pleasure to hold, charges quickly, is plenty fast, and the smaller screen at the same resolution as the iPad 2 provides enough density to look good. Retina looks amazing - but the trade-offs don't work for me at the moment on any device but the iPhone. Looking forward to the day they do.

in the meantime, the iPad mini is a no-brainer winner for gifts to teen girls.

G-Lock808
12-07-2012, 03:06

ipad
ipad 2

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/5357/20121203/ipad-4-vs-3-key-differences-explained.htm

No, the 3 introduced the Retina display to the iPad. The 4 has a faster processor and the Lighning connector. The 4 has replaced the 3.

No what? Didn't I state that the iPad3(the new ipad) had been replaced by the iPad4 (ipad with retina display)?

Taphius
12-07-2012, 21:33
Dell inspirion 13z just went on sale for $449 fyi