Tip at Applebees carside to go? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tip at Applebees carside to go?

Schrag4
12-06-2012, 04:18
Am I supposed to tip when picking up food at Applebees carside to go? I may have avoid eating there for a while since I don't like spit in my food :whistling:

My wife and I figured the carside service isn't much different than someone bringing your food to the counter at McDonald's, but they left us with a receipt on a clipboard that has a place to specify a tip and no place for a signature! Sure seems like they were expecting a tip.

What say you?

wvtarheel
12-06-2012, 04:39
The designated carside to go employee makes less than minimum wage, just like a waiter or waitress. This occurs on the assumption that they will be tipped.

I do tip them, but rarely as much as I would an actual waiter, since the carside to go person can do a lot more "tables" in an hour than a waiter or waitress.

I usually drop them 10%, and I tip 15% for "as expected" service inside.

kiole
12-06-2012, 04:56
I don't tip them as I assumed they made at least minimum wage as they simply bag the food and hand it to you. Much like I don't tip the lady when picking up my Chinese takeout..

If they are not paying them a fair wage without tips then Applebees is to blame. I've always just walked in and grabbed my bag of food and paid.

NeverMore1701
12-06-2012, 05:14
I don't think I'd tip for anything that's not actually dine in or delivery.

eruby
12-06-2012, 05:43
I don't tip. I don't believe in it.

ALL kidding aside, if I went to Applebbe's carside I'd probably give a few bucks to the person.

If female, you know what she'd have to do for me to "go above 12%".

cesaros
12-06-2012, 05:51
When my wife worked the "to-go" of Chile's, she made minimum wage plus any tips that people gave her.

The to-go person isn't considered a waiter/waitress position, so they get paid a normal wage for their time spent working it.

I don't tip them, they don't do anything but charge my credit card and walk my food to me (a 15 foot walk)...basically would be the same as tipping a cop for giving me a ticket (a 15 foot walk...and charging my bank account) :whistling:

costanza187
12-06-2012, 06:05
Pretty sure they are expecting a tip. Just like Sonic, only more expensive.

Gixxerjoe04
12-06-2012, 06:07
I use to work at a restaurant and I think the Togo people made like $8 an hour, I'll tip them usually 10%

lethal tupperwa
12-06-2012, 06:11
you should tip.

why ??

One reason is they are working

not sitting home on welfare.

another is you are sitting on your butt

and they are bringing you food.

If you are too cheap to tip stick to the drive through at Mickey D's.

whauburger
12-06-2012, 06:15
My wife's friend is a bartender at Applebees so we go there sometimes. Sometimes the bartender runs the curbside orders out, sometimes a bar assistant, sometimes a designated person, sometimes a waitress with a smaller section of tables. Needless to say they make less then minimum wage and should be tipped (not saying as much as you would for full service).

I find it an amazing excuse for not tipping a person- "they only charge your credit card and walks food out 15 feet". Why don't you park get out of your car and walk the 15 feet inside and pick up your food? You should be tipping them for the convenience of not getting out of your car (especially depending on weather).

tantrix
12-06-2012, 06:19
Pretty sure they are expecting a tip. Just like Sonic, only more expensive.

Not only more expensive, but crap food.

Going to Sonic and paying less too? Win/win there.

Bruce M
12-06-2012, 06:19
My guess is that if one could also go inside the restaurant to pick up the food order, that some sort of a tip is appropriate for the person that carries it out rather than forcing one to go inside. I would also guess the tip might be adjusted upwards depending on weather conditions.

My confusion regarding tipping is at Boston Market at where they will bring a real plate of food, sometimes with metal instead of plastic utensils, to one's table after ordering it and then presumably clear the table of the plate later.

Hyksos
12-06-2012, 06:23
I don't tip on pickup orders. I disregard the tip section when I do a take-out order. You wouldn't tip a Chipotle employee for assembling your food behind the counter. You don't tip the cooks in the kitchen who made it either. You tip the person who gave you good service. However, quite strangely I guess, I will sometimes throw my change into the tip jar at the local bagel shop.

Brucev
12-06-2012, 06:25
Am I supposed to tip when picking up food at Applebees carside to go? I may have avoid eating there for a while since I don't like spit in my food :whistling:

My wife and I figured the carside service isn't much different than someone bringing your food to the counter at McDonald's, but they left us with a receipt on a clipboard that has a place to specify a tip and no place for a signature! Sure seems like they were expecting a tip.

What say you?

If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. Anything else is just merely excuse making... posturing... whining.

This is not old europe. Tipping in most decent restaurants is the norm. To do otherwise is an act of theft against the server.

Hyksos
12-06-2012, 06:30
To do otherwise is an act of theft against the server.

Tipping a server? Sure...

Tipping for a pickup order? You're kidding right? Do you tip the supermarket employees when you go there and pick up a rotisserie chicken? No - because even though they made it, they didn't give you any service.

Roger1079
12-06-2012, 06:33
My wife's friend is a bartender at Applebees so we go there sometimes. Sometimes the bartender runs the curbside orders out, sometimes a bar assistant, sometimes a designated person, sometimes a waitress with a smaller section of tables. Needless to say they make less then minimum wage and should be tipped (not saying as much as you would for full service).

I find it an amazing excuse for not tipping a person- "they only charge your credit card and walks food out 15 feet". Why don't you park get out of your car and walk the 15 feet inside and pick up your food? You should be tipping them for the convenience of not getting out of your car (especially depending on weather).I have never used the curbside pickup so I have never encountered this. I have always walked inside to the counter. I have also never left a tip for this. I see the take out counter as no different than any restaurant where you receive your food food from a counter and walk to a table to eat.

For delivery I normally leave 10%.

Dine in depends. If the service is good, i normally leave 20-25% depending on quality of service. If the service is average, 15%. If the service is terrible, or you piss me off, the possibility of getting nothing is there too. I have only left nothing on 2 occasions. The first was at a latin american restaurant in downtown Miami. Everything was fine until she brought the check. She hands it to me and says "Gringo, propina no esta incluida." which translates to "White boy, the tip is not included." She turned a 20% tip into 0% with those words. I wrote "Gracias" on the tip line.

The second time the service was just beyond awful. Everything that could be wrong with a restaurant experience was because she was to busy blabbing with her friends at another table to pay attention to the rest of her tables.

People in the food service industry understand that their primary source of income is through an OPTIONAL additional payment made by the guest. If they don't care about the extra money enough to provide proper service, than I don't care enough to leave it.

It is amazing though. My girlfriend waited tables for a while and you wouldn't believe how many people would come in and have a $60-$100 check, receive good service, and leave $2 for the server. It happened to her on serveral occasions and just sucks. There were some nights she would have over $1500 in sales, and after tipping out the bussers and bartenders would come home with $40.

Lowjiber
12-06-2012, 06:43
I'm usually a 20% tipper if the service is acceptable. Here in Vegas we're used tipping everyone.

However, Applebees curbside is a different animal. When I visit my daughter in S.C. she loves to order to-go at Applebees...I'm buyin. I pay the same price for my food as the person sitting inside. I receive zero service from the person who delivers my food as I'm waiting in the car.

From an Applebees perspective, I'm an excellent source of revenue, in that I occupy zero space in their crowded dining area; there are no dishes to wash from my purchase; and I'm expected to supplement the salary of an often inexperienced employee who provides the absolute minimum in "service".

Zero tip from me in this case.

Schrag4
12-06-2012, 06:47
If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. Anything else is just merely excuse making... posturing... whining.

This is not old europe. Tipping in most decent restaurants is the norm. To do otherwise is an act of theft against the server.

Do you tip at McDonald's? You don't? Apparently you can't afford to eat there! :tongueout: Or to put it another way, just because you can afford to tip doesn't mean it's appropriate. I'm simply asking if it's appropriate. The bad weather argument is the best one I've heard so far. Otherwise, I really don't see how them walking 15 feet is "serving me." The people that cooked the food did much more to serve me. But enough with the excuse making, posturing, and whining.

I was actually going to tip but my wife asked me why I would. And she's usually the generous one when it comes to tipping.

Schrag4
12-06-2012, 06:48
I'm usually a 20% tipper if the service is acceptable. Here in Vegas we're used tipping everyone.

However, Applebees curbside is a different animal. When I visit my daughter in S.C. she loves to order to-go at Applebees...I'm buyin. I pay the same price for my food as the person sitting inside. I receive zero service from the person who delivers my food as I'm waiting in the car.

From an Applebees perspective, I'm an excellent source of revenue, in that I occupy zero space in their crowded dining area; there are no dishes to wash from my purchase; and I'm expected to supplement the salary of an often inexperienced employee who provides the absolute minimum in "service".

Zero tip from me in this case.

Kinda have to agree with this. Again, if the weather's bad I can see a tip being appropriate.

lethal tupperwa
12-06-2012, 07:23
about mickyd's

I know of One occasion where a limo pulled up

got their food and tipped the window a $100 dollar bill.

as for curbside, no service=open the door and throw the food in the direction of the car.

Give them a buck or two if you do not have to pick your food up of the ground.

JDennis
12-06-2012, 07:32
At my local applebees they don't have designated "car side" employees. It is whoever is available to bring the food out. The car side employees don't even bag the food, the kitchen does, sits it at the end of the bar. When a car pulls up, they go through the tickets for the vehicle and run it out. I usually don't tip unless there is a issue with the order and the employee has to run it back inside, go to the kitchen and correct it. Applebees is our normal friday tradition for dinner, our location is horrible and screws up a lot by forgetting things in the order, or literally getting less than 15 fries in a meal. But on a Friday after working all week and wanting to relax, it is only a couple miles from the house.

skinny99
12-06-2012, 07:51
If I was going to do carside service at Applebee's I would tip $1 or $2. However I am a cheap bastard that needs more exercise and likes to thoroughly check my order so I would just walk inside.

Hines57
12-06-2012, 08:15
I hope she uses a different name when she orders there. I'm sure they remember yours. Making to go orders is a far bigger pain in the butt.

Zero tip from me in this case. Since you feel the need to justify it, you must know you are wrong. And you are not an excellent source, its a crappy source of revenue. You're not in the bar drinking alcohol, you probably don't order appetizers, or drinks or desserts, all of the areas where restaurants make money. Throw in the cost of all the to go items, it's close to being break-even. Your comment about inexperienced employee with minimum service is silly. It's a much bigger pain to set up food to go.

I doubt that I changed your mind about tipping, but at least now you know you are wrong and cheap and the people that serve you tend to remember that.

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 08:22
I tip for takeout and carside just as though I were seated in the restaurant.

tantrix
12-06-2012, 08:22
Since you feel the need to justify it, you must know you are wrong. And you are not an excellent source, its a crappy source of revenue. You're not in the bar drinking alcohol, you probably don't order appetizers, or drinks or desserts, all of the areas where restaurants make money. Throw in the cost of all the to go items, it's close to being break-even.

I find that hard to believe from a place that microwaves even their pasta. Applebees serves food equivalent to a Marie Callender's TV dinner, and charging double for it...they're making money hand over fist.

gwalchmai
12-06-2012, 08:44
Am I supposed to tip when picking up food at Applebees carside to go? Of course not. You're not going to be there long enough for them to refill your coffee four times.

gwalchmai
12-06-2012, 08:51
Besides, why would anybody eat a t Applebees? :puking:

Chesafreak
12-06-2012, 08:59
At Applebees curbside to go, I always walk inside to pick it up myself so I don't tip. If they had brought it to my car I would tip, but that hasn't happend yet.

For any other takeout in which I pick up, I don't tip. If delivered, I tip. I believe that tips are for service or delivery. I don't tip for food at the MacDonalds counter, and I won't do it at the counter in Applebees or any other restuarant.

As for the tip jar in a coffee shop or any other register, if the cashier or service provider goes out of their way to be friendly or helpful then I leave a tip.

Dan_ntx
12-06-2012, 09:02
I do not curbside pickup often, and therefore may not know the rules or protocol. But my assumption was that an unlucky server was picked to be that shifts curbside server...so I tip a little lighter than I would otherwise, probably 10/15% range...as long as they are cheerful (can't remember a time they were not).

If I knew that they were paid a different wage for that duty I might think differently, but to me they are just a server that drew the short straw or made their manager mad and became the curbside server.

I don't tip at chipotle...occasionally tip at Sonic if the service is good or they skate...and don't tip at fast food places. I do tip...and tip well, home delivery drivers. They remember EVERYONE...and when I order a pizza or other take out I assure you it is hot, fast, and delivered with a smile while some non-tippers food rides around in the back seat.

It's worth the few bucks if you are a frequent patron...believe me, it is remembered. Not that I think non tippers get their food messed with...I just think tippers and regulars get better.

cesaros
12-06-2012, 09:05
To do otherwise is an act of theft against the server.

kinda like if I don't pay my taxes, its an act of theft against those on social welfare? :whistling:

fnfalman
12-06-2012, 09:40
I only tip if the chick is hawt.

ray9898
12-06-2012, 09:48
LOL....I love this place. You can have one thread lined up with people whining about the tip cup at a Subway or coffee shop and the next with people insulting those who don't tip when picking up a to-go order at Applebees.

Singlemalt
12-06-2012, 09:52
I definitely tip in that situation, then again, I tip above average for sure anyway.

Dennis in MA
12-06-2012, 09:53

WOW! Blew my mind. Fifty Five! Almost as good as the time I got my first hat. :rofl: (Hands down funniest Sonic commercial.)

LOL....I love this place. You can have one thread lined up with people whining about the tip cup at a Subway or coffee shop and the next with people insulting those who don't tip when picking up a to-go order at Applebees.

I take $ from the Subway tip cup and give it to the Applebee's waitperson.

2 thoughts:

1. Is it raining?

2. The few times I do it at Ruby Tuesday's, usually a manager brings me my food.

Hailstorm
12-06-2012, 10:03
My mom was a waitress. So, I tip well if good service. I understand how often they get stiffed. Don't get me wrong. If they are bad at their job, no tip for you. I have walked out without a tip given. Usually write a note. Just so they know. I didn't forget to tip. It was on purpose.

I do tip the car side to go people. You never know what they have on your file in the computer. I sure wouldn't want ****** written in mine.lol No need for the extra seasoning for me.:tongueout:

mhambi
12-06-2012, 11:54
I'll tip 10% if they drop the food off and wash the windshield. Upwards of 20% if they check the engine fluids and tire pressure too.

mhambi
12-06-2012, 11:59

Saying the Sonic is better than Applebees is like saying syphilis is better than gonorrhea.

Sure it may have been fun to get, buy you'll regret it later. (for both of them... Sonic and Applebees, I mean)

Happypuppy
12-06-2012, 12:03
I tip for service. The amount varies from 0% up. IMO it has reached the point it is out of hand. I went to one of those Mongolian grills that you did it all yourself. I don't tip for that anymore than I tip for the guy making burgers at McDonald's.

The logical conclusion if you followed it is tip for everything; from your mechanic to the Post Office person that answers your question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2bgop
12-06-2012, 12:11
I don't tip them as I assumed they made at least minimum wage as they simply bag the food and hand it to you. Much like I don't tip the lady when picking up my Chinese takeout..

If they are not paying them a fair wage without tips then Applebees is to blame. I've always just walked in and grabbed my bag of food and paid.

I tip them too.

tantrix
12-06-2012, 13:37
Saying the Sonic is better than Applebees is like saying syphilis is better than gonorrhea.

Sure it may have been fun to get, buy you'll regret it later. (for both of them... Sonic and Applebees, I mean)

Sure, neither are fine dining...but Sonic is gonorrhea, and Applebees is AIDS.

ChuteTheMall
12-06-2012, 13:45
I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra.

Steve0853
12-06-2012, 15:14
The Applebee's around here are terrible. Some spittle would actually improve the flavor of their food. A new one opened near my home. We gave it a try, but.....still terrible.

I tip well in sit down and get served restaurants. No tip for carry out or fast food. No tip for deli food at the grocery store. No tip to the Coke or candy machine(even though someone has to keep it full and clean).

No tip to a service person who is the business owner....barber, plumber, electrician. I figure they control the price. If they want more money, put it on the bill.

JMS
12-06-2012, 15:25
I find that hard to believe from a place that microwaves even their pasta. Applebees serves food equivalent to a Marie Callender's TV dinner, and charging double for it...they're making money hand over fist.

Back in H.S. I worked for an Italian restaurant that was part of a national chain. One of my favorite dishes was a tortellini dish with chicken, olives and cream sauce that sold for 14.95 on the menu, the manager showed me the break down, it was less than $1 in food cost.

So while yes, there is money to be made on alcohol, appetizers and desserts, they aren't losing money either on the main course.

For a place with Curb side to go, if I have both kids in the car, etc it's much more convenient for them to bring it to me. I'll usually leave between 5%-10%. In the restaurant 15%-25% depending on the level of service, I averaged 20%-25% when I waited tables, if I'm wowed (which is rare) I'll leave in that range, average 15%, less than average/bad 0% and I'll make sure the meal is comped.

BTW any place that leaves out a tip jar, I don't leave a penny. Tip jar at 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc. Please.

tantrix
12-06-2012, 16:38
Back in H.S. I worked for an Italian restaurant that was part of a national chain. One of my favorite dishes was a tortellini dish with chicken, olives and cream sauce that sold for 14.95 on the menu, the manager showed me the break down, it was less than $1 in food cost.

So while yes, there is money to be made on alcohol, appetizers and desserts, they aren't losing money either on the main course.

Yep...I believe it. But, you're gonna have a hell of time convincing anyone here of that.

I worked at a well-known national pizza chain when I was a teenager for side money, and at the time their buffet was $2.99. The cost of an entire pizza? Barely 30 cents. You'd have to eat 10 pizzas by yourself before they started losing money.

TK-421
12-06-2012, 16:44
Last I heard, when the people worked at the To-Go counter, they made minimum wage because they weren't expected to be tipped.

You tip the people who bring you your food and drink, you don't tip the people who make your food. Now, of course, sometimes tips do trickle back, but you generally tip based on the quality of service, not exactly the quality of the food.

Bruce M
12-06-2012, 17:24

I take $ from the Subway tip cup and give it to the Applebee's waitperson.

:rofl::rofl:

RGbiker
12-06-2012, 18:59
As nearly all Applebees in Arizona are posted with "Gunbuster" sign, I don't visit the restaurant chain.

Therefore, I don't tip the servers at Applebees.

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 19:38
I tip them too.

I do too. If its a regular take out place for you they'll learn you're a regular. They'll learn you tip. They'll make extra sure your order is together and correct and has plenty of extras. Nothing ruins take out like getting home and realizing the order isn't correct and you either deal with it or have to drive all the way back. $5 or $10 for a tip seems cheap right abou then.

Plus its just the right thing to do. The waitress is there to earn a living. I don't think its right to deprive her of that opportunity just because I don't want to dine in. Not tipping for takeout is akin to carrying your own bags when checking into a hotel.

PhotoFeller
12-06-2012, 19:46
I go to the same places often for carry out, so I know some of the people who deliver food to the curb. I should say they recognize me and I recognize them. I also use drive through places like KFC, and know their people.

I tip 10-15% for outside service and around 20% for sit down service inside. Outstanding curb service gets 15+% while exceptional table service would receive 20+%. Curb servers can earn a +tip by being very cordial, providing extra bread and side items when asked, and by checking the order when it comes to the car to be sure its right. A great attitude and hustle pay off.

Food service people don't make a living wage without tips, so I'm generous if service is good. Where I'm recognized at drive through and curb service restaurants, the people appreciate my tips and my demeanor and serve accordingly. For example, when I call to order KFC grilled chicken, they grill mine when the order comes in, so it is always fresh and the pieces are choice. Plus, my order is always right. A 5$ tip is appropriate when they treat me so well, and I usually tip in cash.

I don't think food service would be much fun. Many of the people doing it would work at something different if they could. They often go home to more work and kids when the shift is over.

Tipping is not hard for me if the guy or gal is cordial, efficient and anxious to please. Inside or outside, thats worth something to me. It makes the experience a lot more pleasant.

Roger1079
12-06-2012, 19:57
This is dead on. I have seen food cost for restaurants before. Profit margin on menu items ranged from 50% all the way to 1000% and beyond. Yes, I said 1000%. How much do you think that $13 plate of spaghetti cost them to put on your plate? The only thing that eats into that is salaries of bussers, line cooks, food expediters, etc. The restaurants certainly aren't losing money from curbside pickup and takeout. The servers are the ones impacted by that.

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 20:02
This is dead on. I have seen food cost for restaurants before. Profit margin on menu items ranged from 50% all the way to 1000% and beyond. Yes, I said 1000%. How much do you think that $13 plate of spaghetti cost them to put on your plate? The only thing that eats into that is salaries of bussers, line cooks, food expediters, etc. The restaurants certainly aren't losing money from curbside pickup and takeout. The servers are the ones impacted by that.

I don't know where people get this stuff.

Restaurants typically operate on tiny margins and it is a high risk business. There is a LOT more to the cost of running a restaurant than the cost of food they put on your plate.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/average-profit-margin-restaurant-13477.html

Full-service restaurants at all levels spent about 32 percent of each dollar on the cost of food and beverages, 33 percent on salaries and wages, and from 5 percent to 6 percent on restaurant occupancy costs. Profit margins, however, varied according to the cost of the average check per person. Those with checks under $15 showed a profit of 3 percent. Those with checks from $15 to $24.99 boasted the highest profit margin at 3.5 percent. Finally, those with checks of $25 and over had the lowest profits, at 1.8 percent.

Brucev
12-06-2012, 20:15
Tipping a server? Sure...

Tipping for a pickup order? You're kidding right? Do you tip the supermarket employees when you go there and pick up a rotisserie chicken? No - because even though they made it, they didn't give you any service.

Kidding. No. Not at all.

Brucev
12-06-2012, 20:20
Do you tip at McDonald's? You don't? Apparently you can't afford to eat there! :tongueout: Or to put it another way, just because you can afford to tip doesn't mean it's appropriate. I'm simply asking if it's appropriate. The bad weather argument is the best one I've heard so far. Otherwise, I really don't see how them walking 15 feet is "serving me." The people that cooked the food did much more to serve me. But enough with the excuse making, posturing, and whining.

I was actually going to tip but my wife asked me why I would. And she's usually the generous one when it comes to tipping.

Mcdonald's? Don't go there. At fast food restaurants tipping is not the norm.

If you are not capable of tipping, go buy sandwich meat at the 7-11. Otherwise, you are a thief.

Dan_ntx
12-06-2012, 21:27
I don't know where people get this stuff.

Restaurants typically operate on tiny margins and it is a high risk business. There is a LOT more to the cost of running a restaurant than the cost of food they put on your plate.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/average-profit-margin-restaurant-13477.html

Yep... I ran 9 national pizza chain locations for a couple of years and food cost hovered in the low 30% range...labor cost was mid to high 20%...and there was still rent and utilities.

You can pick the ingredients for each dish and divide them to the portion size, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Food is returned, thrown out, given away, and ruined as well as sold in a restaurant... And the more items on the menu the more opportunity you have to lose $.

A well ran restaurant can be a cash machine for the owner...but a bad month can close almost all of them.

janice6
12-06-2012, 21:32
I tip for personal service excellence.

If you think you got better service than the car in front or behind you, by all means tip.

I don't tip for curbside service (except for drive-ins, but they are a dead breed)

rednoved
12-06-2012, 22:00
I don't tip on to go orders. I haven't use a service where they walk it out to me. Except for Sonic.

Who here tips at Sonic?

ChuteTheMall
12-06-2012, 22:05
Waitressing is the number one occupation for female non-college graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get, and make a living on. The reason is because of tips.

byaah_19
12-06-2012, 22:13
I am a manager at a chain steakhouse. Our togo kids make $2.13/hr and rely on their tips. You are tipping them to get your order ready and ensure it is right. They make sure your food is put in the boxes properly and everything is correct. No its not that hard of a job, but they are preforming a service to you. With out them you are more than welcome to get out of your car and go into the kitchen, grab the 180 degree plates that your food is served on out of the 300 degree window and box up your own food.

byaah_19
12-06-2012, 22:14
Basically you are paying for the food. You are tipping for the service of bringing you food to you.

byaah_19
12-06-2012, 22:21
WOW!!!! the more I read this thread the more I see how clueless people are about the industry.

I will tell you this. Last month my restaurant profited $8000 after everything was said and done. Our total sales for the month were $176,000.Theres a lot more that goes into running a successful restaurant than you might think. Also the chain I work for is very successful and yes other stores in other locations make more. We are one of the lower grossing stores in our region but just to put it in perspective.

janice6
12-06-2012, 22:24
Basically you are paying for the food. You are tipping for the service of bringing you food to you.

If serving it is not included in the meal price, I will not frequent your business.

If the server is (even pretending to be) concerned about making me feel welcome, I tip. If not. NO.

Tips should not be considered part of their salary. They should reflect above and beyond ordinary services.

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 22:30
If serving it is not included in the meal price, I will not frequent your business.

You must not eat out much. That basically limits your dining options to fast food.

Tips should not be considered part of their salary. They should reflect above and beyond ordinary services.

Should, would, could. The bottom line is they ARE.

PhotoFeller
12-07-2012, 13:08
I am a manager at a chain steakhouse. Our togo kids make $2.13/hr and rely on their tips. You are tipping them to get your order ready and ensure it is right. They make sure your food is put in the boxes properly and everything is correct. No its not that hard of a job, but they are preforming a service to you. With out them you are more than welcome to get out of your car and go into the kitchen, grab the 180 degree plates that your food is served on out of the 300 degree window and box up your own food.

Thanks. I hope this opens some eyes about the importance of tipping.

My kids worked in food service in high school and college, and some of their stories about ornery, obnoxious customers and low/no tippers are mind boggling. My kids were pros who could take a round of orders and deliver the food without a note pad. They knew to keep the coffee,water and bread flowing and how to make the dining experience memorable. Still, some patrons just didn't understand the need to be pleasant in return and reward excellent service.

Food service is really hard work when its done properly. They earn our tips and need them.