GOP lost because of shifting social views, right? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GOP lost because of shifting social views, right?

GAFinch
12-06-2012, 14:53
Maybe not.

I apologize to America's young people, whose dashed dreams and dim employment prospects I had laughed at, believing these to be a direct result of their voting for Obama.

On closer examination, it turns out that young voters, aged 18-29, overwhelmingly supported Romney. But only the white ones.

According to Pew Research, 54 percent of white voters under 30 voted for Romney and only 41 percent for Obama. That's the same percentage Reagan got from the entire white population in 1980. Even the Lena Dunham demographic -- white women under 30 -- slightly favored Romney.

"America Near el Tipping Pointo" - Coulter

http://patriotpost.us/opinion/15774

Kablam
12-06-2012, 15:17
Even though it is true and supported by the statistics..."That is so racist!" There! Me First!! :tongueout:

CAcop
12-06-2012, 15:21
The big takeaway from this election seems to be that whites of any age are voting for the GOP and the non whites are voting for the Dems. That is why the Dems think they are going to have a permanent majority. The problem with that is if the US continues with a sluggish economy there will be fewer immigrants, mostly non white, coming to the US. 1 million illegal immigrants, mostly Mexicans have already gone back home.

gilfo
12-06-2012, 15:47
The big takeaway from this election seems to be that whites of any age are voting for the GOP and the non whites are voting for the Dems. That is why the Dems think they are going to have a permanent majority. The problem with that is if the US continues with a sluggish economy there will be fewer immigrants, mostly non white, coming to the US. 1 million illegal immigrants, mostly Mexicans have already gone back home.

All the whites that were not gay or women anyway.

sbhaven
12-06-2012, 16:13
While Ann Coulter makes good points from time to time, its important to remember she was driving the Chris Christie for President bandwagon for a good long while.

TK-421
12-06-2012, 16:28
He may have gotten the straight white male vote, but I'm pretty sure the white gays weren't voting for him, and I'm pretty sure the majority of white women didn't vote for him either. Romney seemed to parade himself around the ideals of the straight white male, everybody else be damned. But when you need women and minorities to vote for you to win, and the gays would be helpful, and you piss off the women, the gays and the minorities, it doesn't matter how many straight white males you get, you're not going to win.

GAFinch
12-06-2012, 16:39

He got the white women also.

Non-whites tend to be more socially conservative than whites, but they shamelessly put personal comfort/greed before God.

Baracka Claus is comin' to town.

Lowjiber
12-06-2012, 19:09
I rarely post on political threads, but I'll tell you the two reasons the GOP lost...

1. They picked a lying, rich, populist* candidate for the #1 spot.

2. He picked a total idiot for his #2.

* Note: He really doesn't fit the definition of "populist". He's just such a liar that he'll tell anyone what they want to hear

CAcop
12-06-2012, 19:27

As someone pointed out white women broke for Romney. Not by as large margin as men but it was probably what dropped Obama a few notches in his margin of victory.

As for gays they are maybe 7% of the population. No one has studied them like othr groups but I would not be surprised if a decent percent vote GOP for fiscal reasons. They do tend to be more affluent due to the number of DINK households. Even if you throw in straight single issue voters turned off by the GOP on this one issue you are still only talking about 10% of the overall population. At best. It could be as low as 5%.

Interesting point in the Dem Party right now there is a truce between gays and blacks. What happens in 2016 when the Dems are running Hillary? Will blacks put up with a gay friendly Dem Party in the numbers they did with Obama?

hogfish
12-06-2012, 20:15
Saw this today. Relevant or not, here it is...

From The Toledo Press,

We seem to be a divided nation. The numbers between Democrat and Republican votes are close. Americans seem to enjoy a specific form of Schadenfreude, or the enjoyment of other people's misery. I have seen in the Bush and Obama eras the delight taken at the expense of others in our society over election results. This creates in voters an "us versus them" mentality. Lost in any discussion is an honest debate about policy and the effects on us all. A large number of the electorate vote to watch the anguish of others even if it is detrimental to them.

Written by Kenneth Sharp.

Gunhaver
12-07-2012, 00:08
Where do they get this information of what races, genders and sexual orientations voted for who?

JohnH
12-07-2012, 01:41
Just another apologetic from the RNC. Fact is: Romney is unelectable. The Romney/Ryan campaign portrayed themselves as nothing more than new managers for the status-quo. No vision, no idealogical core, and no enthusiasm from the base. Top of the ticket was a plastic flip-flopper and consummate liar with an Ivy league pedigree partnered with a goofy looking numbers guy. The Republicans never learn. Run to the center, and loose. Run to the right, and win.

Hyksos
12-07-2012, 06:38
White people are not reproducing fast enough to maintain their status as a majority in this country. It's only a matter of time. If you're a young, white male then you can do your part by having a ton of kids.

Dare I even say to the young GT'ers that I'm considering not even getting married. Baby-mama'ing a girl seems like a much wiser financial planning decision than marrying someone and then losing it all in divorce. When you baby-mama her, she can only take you for support.

sbhaven
12-07-2012, 07:24
Where do they get this information of what races, genders and sexual orientations voted for who?
Exit polling shows some of that information...
CNN Presidential Race 2012 Exit Polls (http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president#exit-polls)

And that polling shows the following...
Vote by Gender
Men: 47%
Obama: 45%
Romney: 52%

Women: 53%
Obama: 55%
Romney: 44%

Vote by Race
White: 72%
Obama: 39%
Romney: 59%

African-american: 13%
Obama: 93%
Romney: 6%

Latino: 10%
Obama: 71%
Romney: 27%

Asian: 3%
Obama: 73%
Romney 26%

Are You Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual?
Yes: 5%
Obama: 76%
Romney: 22%

No: 95%
Obama: 49%
Romney: 49%

GAFinch
12-07-2012, 08:25
Just another apologetic from the RNC. Fact is: Romney is unelectable. The Romney/Ryan campaign portrayed themselves as nothing more than new managers for the status-quo. No vision, no idealogical core, and no enthusiasm from the base. Top of the ticket was a plastic flip-flopper and consummate liar with an Ivy league pedigree partnered with a goofy looking numbers guy. The Republicans never learn. Run to the center, and loose. Run to the right, and win.

Did you read the OP? I agree with the run to the right theory, but he got the same percentage of white voters as Reagan did when he won 47 states.

Problem is, we keep importing refugees from Latin America, SE Asia, Africa, and the Middle East who are immediately put on welfare instead of being properly assimilated and taught the traditional American spirit.

Paul7
12-07-2012, 14:57
Did you read the OP? I agree with the run to the right theory, but he got the same percentage of white voters as Reagan did when he won 47 states.

Problem is, we keep importing refugees from Latin America, SE Asia, Africa, and the Middle East who are immediately put on welfare instead of being properly assimilated and taught the traditional American spirit.

Exactly, Reagan, McCain and Romney all got about the same percentage of the white vote, the problem is that section has been shrinking. We're doomed.

Ruble Noon
12-07-2012, 17:08
When the republicans start embracing freedom and the Constitution, they will win.

juggy4711
12-07-2012, 21:12
When the republicans start embracing freedom and the Constitution, they will win.

Yep. The Republicans didn't loose the election because of demographic changes, it lost because of voter turn out

"For some reason a lot of people stayed home. And those people are white and they're conservative. The only question that should be asked right now is not why are we trying to throw the Tea Party under the bus, the question is why can't we get the Ron Paul supporters. The young alternative folks, who are not Democrats, who don't want the government.

Who just want the Fed to be checked out. Who don't want to invade other countries. Who think the whole obsession over abortion and pot is ridiculous. Why can't we get those folks to vote Republican? Because the Republican party has told them stay the hell away and so they did and we loose." - Michael Berry

jlavallee
12-07-2012, 21:35
The GOP doesn't have the positive of small government or resulting lower taxes as it's platform anymore. The platform is that of social intervention and big military to force that social platform everywhere else.

I'm sorry but all I see is a nut job on the left that thinks he has the right to tell me what to do and a nut job on the right that does the same thing with different issues at their core. When a politician does what he is supposed to do and stays the hell out of everyone's business and respects our Constitution, they'll win. Steaming pile A or B is not a choice, it is **** either way with one only smelling worse than the other depending on your views.

GAFinch
12-07-2012, 22:32
Yep. The Republicans didn't loose the election because of demographic changes, it lost because of voter turn out

"For some reason a lot of people stayed home. And those people are white and they're conservative. The only question that should be asked right now is not why are we trying to throw the Tea Party under the bus, the question is why can't we get the Ron Paul supporters. The young alternative folks, who are not Democrats, who don't want the government.

Who just want the Fed to be checked out. Who don't want to invade other countries. Who think the whole obsession over abortion and pot is ridiculous. Why can't we get those folks to vote Republican? Because the Republican party has told them stay the hell away and so they did and we loose." - Michael Berry

Final vote tallies show that Romney got 750,000 more votes than McCain. Where was the voter turnout for Paul during the primaries? In many states the primaries are open - registered Democrats could've voted for him. The Republican-led House passed a bill to audit the Fed. Ron Paul was pro-life but you guys supported him. Ryan said that MJ was a states right issue. Bush cracked down on "medical" MJ dispensaries less than Zero has.

Ruble Noon
12-08-2012, 05:56
Final vote tallies show that Romney got 750,000 more votes than McCain. Where was the voter turnout for Paul during the primaries? In many states the primaries are open - registered Democrats could've voted for him. The Republican-led House passed a bill to audit the Fed. Ron Paul was pro-life but you guys supported him. Ryan said that MJ was a states right issue. Bush cracked down on "medical" MJ dispensaries less than Zero has.

Paul got a lot of voter turnout early on in the primaries, won a couple of states but it was not reported. By the time it was reported you guys were all clamoring to jump on the train of the newest rising star in the GOP.

I would guess that many democrats disguised as republicans voted for Romney in the primaries because they knew he was the easiest for their candidate to beat in the general election.

Romney/Ryan are big government guys and as such did not attract liberty minded voters. If the GOP is to win any future elections they need to attract these voters or they will find themselves in the same position of the Whig's.

happyguy
12-08-2012, 05:59
I rarely post on political threads, but I'll tell you the two reasons the GOP lost...

1. They picked a lying, rich, populist* candidate for the #1 spot.

2. He picked a total idiot for his #2.

* Note: He really doesn't fit the definition of "populist". He's just such a liar that he'll tell anyone what they want to hear

I said from the beginning he was just a Republican version of John Kerry.

I still think he has more to offer as an Executive and would be a much better representative for us on the world stage though.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Cavalry Doc
12-08-2012, 09:06
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8yBmwXW4XEM/TGIVOWJE__I/AAAAAAAAJdw/YcYOMi-hbp8/s1600/ROAD+TO+HELL,+THE+TIPPING+POINT.jpg

more than half of America wants the government to give them things paid for with borrowing and from people that actually work for a living.

We are simply past the tipping point. And it looks like it's all downhill from here.

HexHead
12-08-2012, 09:47
What happens in 2016 when the Dems are running Hillary?

Not gonna happen. The last two Dem presidents were elected while in their 40s. The strategy of bringing out the youth vote for a younger, vibrant candidate has been successful for them. In both cases, the candidate was a virtual unknown before the primary season got started. They're not going to switch from what's worked for them.

The youth that will be turning 18 over the next four years couldn't give a crap about her. She'll be older than Reagan was when he was elected in 1980. No way they'll turn out for that old hag.

G17Jake
12-08-2012, 10:21

I didn't hear that message from either R or D candidate, but I remember the following.... Obama Constitution Negative Liberties.flv - YouTube

jlavallee
12-08-2012, 15:34
I would guess that many democrats disguised as republicans voted for Romney in the primaries because they knew he was the easiest for their candidate to beat in the general election.

I actually know a Democrat that did this. I know of a couple that supported Santorum because he was their dream Republican. I have to say that as much as I hate the lesser evil game, if I thought come general election time that Santorum might win, I'd have to debate checking Obama.