Colt or BCM...First AR Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt or BCM...First AR Question

MCA
12-06-2012, 20:45
Greetings and thank you, in advance, for your experiences and expertise!
I have researched this, for what seems like months, until my eyes blur and now I just have to ask.
While proficient in pistols (Glocks) and shotguns (Benelli) I am relatively new to the realm of “Black Rifles” and am ready to purchase one. With my budget I have narrowed down my choices to either a BCM Mod 0, BCM Mod 2, Colt 6920 or a Colt 6940. I would like to purchase a complete rifle rather than build or assemble one due to my inexperience with this platform and a possible manufacturer warranty but maybe I am making this too big of an issue?
What I want to do with it:
1. HD
2. Range work
3. Work my way up to some fun 3-gun type and/or other competitions
4. I will be shooting once per week
What I would put on it:
1. Keep it simple…light, sling and optic after mastering the irons.
What my goal would be:
1. Become proficient+ with the platform and…
2. My Dad is a retired Navy SEAL/UDT Frogman and I want to out shoot him! You would think at 70 years old he would be losing something shooting-wise but it isn’t happening. I would ultimately like to shoot 1-2” groups at 100 yards.
My questions are as follows:
1. Is a free float barrel (Colt 6940) necessary for someone like me?
2. Are the quad rail’s (BCM Mod 2) uncomfortable to grasp barehanded when shooting? (I REALLY like the idea of the BCM Mod 0 with some $119.00 folding rear sights). A Quad type rail even necessary for my needs?
**3. Is there something I am missing when looking at how these two rifles are made/manufactured that places one above the other? They seem almost identical albeit Colt has an awesome history of reliability and quality, as does BCM from my research.
I hope this novice type question is not too irritating to those in the know. I am just looking for a little push in one direction from others that have “been there and done that” already. A big thanks for your time and for reading. It is greatly appreciated.
Best Regards....Mike

WoodenPlank
12-06-2012, 20:57
It's hard to go wrong with either a BCM or a Colt. Of the two, I would give BCM a SLIGHT edge, only because their customer service has been nothing but excellent for me.

A free float system is a bonus, but not 100% needed for most folks.

Quad rails can be grating on your hands without covers, but rail covers are pretty cheap, and there are tons of them available.

camelotkid
12-06-2012, 21:02
1. I would get the free float, It is supposed to be more acturate and allows the barrel to flex without being affected by the handguard or anything that may be hanging on your rifle.
2. quad rails are uncomfortable to grasp without rail covers. Luckily they are easily had and cheap. I think the ones that came on my daniel defense are magpul latter rails and are very nice feeling and low profile. get the quad rail if you can, you may want to add lights, grips,etc later and it will make it much easier.
3. BCM is a notch above colt according to most but honestly you can't go wrong with either choice. From what I hear the BCM has a better overall fit and finish.

bmoore
12-06-2012, 21:16
Your question is not irritating. I really appreciate BCM products/uppers. You would be hard pressed to go wrong with either (Colt or BCM). The free float barrel will certainly help you get your 1-2" groups at 100 yards. A standard BCM mid 16" would be a nice starting point if you do not go free float.

For me being a civilian I can go either way on quad rails, I have had them but have learned that my needs don't really require one, not to say that there is anything wrong with having one on your rifle. I run an MOE handguard on my rifle with a light mount and thats it. I am partial to mid lengths but again, that is just my opinion. There are a whole bunch of people who carry rifles for a living that do it with carbine length guns.

My vote is for BCM.

mjkeat
12-06-2012, 21:26
I would say BCM because you can get it in a midlength gas system. I would skip the quad rail and go with a tube type rail. Both because you mentioned 3Gun. The midlength will give you a little softer shooting AR (perceived?). The quad rail is a lot of unneeded weight and rail space.

If you do go w/ a quad rail I wouldn't worry to much about it hurting your hands. If it does bother you get a set of rail covers.

MCA
12-06-2012, 21:26
Thanks for taking the time to reply WoodenPlank, camelotkid and bmoore. I appreciate your insights.

MCA
12-06-2012, 21:32
And thanks to you as well mjkeat! You guys and your answers did the trick. Enough research....

Now to (re)search for a BCM Mid 16 Mod 0!

It really makes a difference when one can receive a little insight from those with more experience.

Cheers...

bigmoney890
12-06-2012, 21:33
Well if you want a free float rail and not worry about your hands, go with a troy alpha rail or the midwest industries round rail. For me, the troy fits perfectly in my hand. With that being said, I don't think most shooters will ever be able to notice a difference in accuracy with a free float rail.

As far as the rifle goes, i'd recommend the Colt. It's a full, factory rifle ready to go straight out of the box and you'll most likely never have to worry about it going down. If your like me, and love tinkering/building, then go with the BCM and build your own and customize it however you'd like. Either way your going to be happy. Good luck!

boomhower
12-07-2012, 03:46
Flip a coin, either would do the trick. That said, finding a BCM rifle is going to be a challenge so I'd just get the Colt. Quad rails are far from needed. Personally I'd go with the Colt MOE version. With the MOE rails you have the option of mounting a grip and/or light but still have a very comfortable grip. Plus it's a pretty good value at ~$1099 (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920MP-B).

Cochese
12-07-2012, 04:07
I don't like the 6940. Not a fan of the flip up GB front sight or that rear BUIS.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

mjkeat
12-07-2012, 07:53
On the MOE note. Bypass those add*on rails and look into what Impact Weapon Components has to offer in the way of mounting solutions. It'll give you a much cleaner/lighter/lower profile end product.

Their products are second to none and they're great to deal with. Fast shipping and good prices as well.

Edit: G&R Tactical has 6920's in stock $1055 and $1099 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

K. Foster
12-07-2012, 11:35
1. No, not necessary. In my opinion, the benefits of a free floated barrel, while there, are often over stated. Keep in mind, because of the gas system, you can not have a true free floated barrel like on bolt actions. One of the best uses for a free float is keeping tension off the barrel while you are shooting it on sand bags, with a bi-pod, or using a shooting sling.

2. Yes quad rails can be uncomfortable. The solution is to spend more money buying rail covers to cover up the rails you payed for but will never use. As others have stated, I would recommend a tube like VTAC or Troy over a quad rail. Another solution is just go with Magpul MOE’s.

3. They are both top notch companies. There is something to be said for being able to buy a Colt at Wal-Mart (or where ever) and look it over before purchasing. On the other hand, if you ever need customer service, BCM will be more responsive to your needs.

MCA
12-07-2012, 17:11
I appreciate you all taking time to give me your opinions and/or experiences. You have clarified some things I was thinking about. If I can't find a BCM Mid-16 Mod 0 then I will move onto the Colt 6920 MOE version and be happy either way.

Cheers to a nice weekend and thanks again gentleman!