Buffer retainer & spring are stuck. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffer retainer & spring are stuck.

awpk03s
12-07-2012, 11:54
Okay, my first rifle build maybe 5-6 years ago, I used some blue loctite on the buffer tube/castle nut assembly. Some of this got down into the buffer retainer and spring hole. I did not notice or clean it up in time before it set. At the time, I thought, eh, no big deal.

Fast forward to now. The thing is stuck, like will not move. I wanted to remove the buffer and spring, and they will not move. I applied heat from a heat gun and propane torch to the retainer, and with some tapping and a delrin punch, I was able to nudge it down far enough to remove the buffer and spring.

Now, it is stuck further down in the hole. It will not rebound back up far to hold the buffer in place on the flat sides.

This is an incredibly stupid problem. But how do I fix this? I cannot grip it with anything (that I have tried) to pull it back out/up. Worst case, I have to get another stripped lower and transfer my rifle over to it - but I would prefer not to.

Can anyone offer any advice here?

Mayhem like Me
12-07-2012, 12:09
Yes. More heat and a small easy out that you would use on a broken bolt. Heat and drill into the retainer it will work loose .

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

bigmoney890
12-07-2012, 12:18
Go shoot the gun and maybe the force of the BCG will break it free :dunno:

Bren
12-07-2012, 13:28
Get some acetone, like acetone-based paint thinner or fingernail polish remover and get it down in the cavity.

awpk03s
12-07-2012, 13:34
Thanks. I will try the fingernail polish remover first... If that doesn't work I will resort to an easy out, and hopefully just have to replace the buffer retainer. What a pain!

awpk03s
12-07-2012, 14:30
If more heat is needed, is there any risk to the lower receiver? I am assuming a propane torch or heat gun won't hurt it...?

awpk03s
12-07-2012, 15:10
With the current retainer not completely holding back the buffer, is this a problem for function or reliability? Or just an issue for me to catch it upon disassembly?

Tango 1Zero
12-07-2012, 15:23
Use a propane torch on the buffer tube but I wouldnt go nuts holding it on. It should free up with a little bit of heat.

Bren
12-07-2012, 15:27
With the current retainer not completely holding back the buffer, is this a problem for function or reliability? Or just an issue for me to catch it upon disassembly?

Disassembly itself may be a little harder if the buffer is sticking into the reciever - I don't think you have a real function problem.

Keep soaking it with the acetone for a couple of days and it should completely disolve the loctite. Loctite says use methylene chloride, but acetone is recommended by most people and seems a lot easier to get and less hazardous.

Use a propane torch on the buffer tube but I wouldnt go nuts holding it on. It should free up with a little bit of heat.

The problem with that is, I'd worry about melting the polyurethane tip of the buffer and, I think, even the internal parts of some. Plus, heat may soften loctite so you can turn a bolt wiht a wrench, but I don't know if it will melt it so competely it will release the OP's retainer.

faawrenchbndr
12-07-2012, 16:19
Take the fire control group out,........springs do NOT like heat!

Have you tried to turn the retainer with plyers?

WoodenPlank
12-07-2012, 18:03
Locktite does not get along well with heat or gun lube. Dribble some gun oil into the retaining pin hole and let it soak in good, then dribble more until the entire cavity is filled. Let it soak for a bit, then start pushing up and down on the pin. Eventually it should start to break loose.

awpk03s
12-12-2012, 21:20
Well, I have let this thing soak in gun oil, nail polish remover, and still no movement.

At this point I am a bit stumped on what to do:

- use force to depress it all the way, adding oil and acetone in hope that it frees up
- attempt to drill and easy out to pull it up (and not F the lower up in the process).
- just leave it as is. The pin retains the buffer on the rounds, and releases on the flats. Just need to be careful when opening the action - function and reliability when closed up should be a complete non issue.

Thoughts??

WoodenPlank
12-12-2012, 21:23
Well, I have let this thing soak in gun oil, nail polish remover, and still no movement.

At this point I am a bit stumped on what to do:

- use force to depress it all the way, adding oil and acetone in hope that it frees up
- attempt to drill and easy out to pull it up (and not F the lower up in the process).
- just leave it as is. The pin retains the buffer on the rounds, and releases on the flats. Just need to be careful when opening the action - function and reliability when closed up should be a complete non issue.

Thoughts??

Option A, but just use oil. Not sure if mixing oil and acetone can cause an adverse reaction, so don't chance it.

If that doesn't work, then let it ride.

surf
12-13-2012, 12:14
The function of the rifle is not impeded by lack of retaining pin. But I would just simply drill the retainer and pull the darn thing out. The spring and retainer are cheap. Oh, and stop using loctite. Torque and stake.

Mayhem like Me
12-14-2012, 08:34
Looking at a lower tonight with my clumsy skills I suggest the following.

A very small drill bit secure the lower in a vise and slowly drill the tiny hole into the retainer, suction may actually be keeping it in since the goo is probably very thick. once it is drilled hook a dental cleaning pick into at and yank it out.