History does repeat itself [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : History does repeat itself

rj1939
12-08-2012, 06:42
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. And an enormous debt to boot."

A quote from Henry Morgenthau (secretary of the treasury) under FDR.

W420Hunter
12-08-2012, 08:58
Only due to the fact that people refuse to learn history.

Cavalry Doc
12-08-2012, 09:02
History doesn't repeat itself, it's always different. Frequently, very similar things do happen again and again though.

jeanderson
12-08-2012, 10:07
"Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
Throwing money at a problem never solves the problem - something we never learn.

barbedwiresmile
12-08-2012, 10:10
FDR and Morgenthau, like Wilson before them, were traitors whose names should live on in infamy. Instead, in modern America, their names are revered.

(They were also, I might add, great self-admitted admirers of fascism and central planning.)

TK-421
12-08-2012, 11:08
If people don't believe history repeats itself, tell them to look at fashion, and the bell bottoms that are coming back, slowly but surely.

My mom keeps laughing at all these girls walking around in their "brand new" fashion and going "I've got those same exact clothes stuffed away in my closet."

GAFinch
12-08-2012, 16:04
Of course it's repeating itself, Barry flat out said during the convention that he wants to return to FDR's policies. FDR wasn't an idiot - that admirer of Uncle Joe knew what his policies were doing but he died before he could finish his fundamental transformation of the US.

pugman
12-12-2012, 12:39
History does repeat itself...

Do a little reading on the causes of the French Revolution...

Can politicans read? (I mean I know they don't read the bills...but in general)

happyguy
12-12-2012, 12:45
Throwing money at a problem never solves the problem - something we never learn.

We should commission a study to see if this is true.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Fred Hansen
12-12-2012, 18:39
"Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

The full Santayana quote is even more instructive, and warns us exactly why/how Obommunists and their manifest ilk --through countless human eras--are always antithetical to human progress.

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana The Life of Reason (1905-1906)
Vol. I, Reason in Common Sense