Anyone have this happen to cases w/Dillon reloader [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this happen to cases w/Dillon reloader

dmit
12-08-2012, 15:25
I am having cases deformed in the powder / mouth bell station for some reason. I have loaded thousands of .45 and never had this happen but this is happening somewhat regularly with loading .40 S&W. My reloader is a Dillon 550. The powder funnel is new. The cases are old and unknown how many times that have been reloaded. Anyone have this happen? Have not talked to Dillon as this is Saturday and they are closed.Thanks for any help.

jmorris
12-08-2012, 15:40
Looks like your machine is not indexing correctly or you have the wrong shell plate installed.

dmit
12-08-2012, 15:52
Have #5 plate , #2 locator buttons and W powder funnel as it requires.

SPIN2010
12-08-2012, 15:59
Is this happening at the powder drop or the decap? I would check the cycle a few times, I have seen that out of the decapping station from a piece of walnut media or a brass shaving.

Inspection: Clean, reset, and return to use is my bet.

unclebob
12-08-2012, 16:00
Could be the shell plate is too loose. If not call Dillon and get an alignment tool. Also check to see if the two blots holding the platform to the ram maybe loose. Make sure the two bolts are tight. If they are lose you still need the alignment tool. Have you taken the press apart to clean?

SARDG
12-08-2012, 16:20
Looks like something the decapper/sizer may do if not aligned with the case - for whatever reason.

labdwakin
12-08-2012, 17:09
That's why the 550 has that little retainer that looks like a deformed paperclip in station #1. Looks to me like when your case is getting up close to the decapping pin it's not sitting where it should be for some reason and the shoulder of the pin is catching the lip of your brass. If you didn't adjust that retainer up some for station #1 when you changed calibers, the difference in diameter from the 45 to the 40 could do that... maybe.

Kwesi
12-08-2012, 17:13
I am having cases deformed in the powder / mouth bell station for some reason. I have loaded thousands of .45 and never had this happen but this is happening somewhat regularly with loading .40 S&W. My reloader is a Dillon 550. The powder funnel is new. The cases are old and unknown how many times that have been reloaded. Anyone have this happen? Have not talked to Dillon as this is Saturday and they are closed.Thanks for any help.

Yeah I had that happening last month. The shell plate was too loose. Took it apart, cleaned & tightened and all is well. NOTE: check the forum for my thread asking for help with this issue. A key reply was having empty brass in the station when tightening.

norton
12-08-2012, 18:39
Yeah I had that happening last month. The shell plate was too loose. Took it apart, cleaned & tightened and all is well. NOTE: check the forum for my thread asking for help with this issue. A key reply was having empty brass in the station when tightening.

This. tighten the shell plate.

dmit
12-08-2012, 20:04
It's good to go now. The plate was not snug enough. I had the plate set too loose.Adjusted the plate down to where it rotated smoothly with empty cases in it and loaded 200 rounds without any problems. Thank you guys. I new I came to the right place. I really appreciate everyone's help.

dla
12-08-2012, 22:16
It's good to go now. The plate was not snug enough. I had the plate set too loose.Adjusted the plate down to where it rotated smoothly with empty cases in it and loaded 200 rounds without any problems. Thank you guys. I new I came to the right place. I really appreciate everyone's help.

I've had that happen when there is crud on the plate causing the casing to tip slightly.