New Stag Model 4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Stag Model 4

Tank44
12-08-2012, 22:47
Just pulled the string on a Stag Arms Model 4. This is my first AR! :cool:

I am wondering what accessories I should get. I have been looking at Nikon P-223 and M-223 scopes. Any suggestions?

mjkeat
12-08-2012, 23:23
Just pulled the string on a Stag Arms Model 4. This is my first AR! :cool:

I am wondering what accessories I should get. I have been looking at Nikon P-223 and M-223 scopes. Any suggestions?

Congratulations.

There's not a single person that can properly recommend "accessories" for you. At this time you can't even do that for yourself.

Take the AR to the range and work on things like target acquisition, mag changes, and get it sighted in at the distance of your choice. Then take a basic carbine class. At this point you'll start to get a feel for what you NEED.

You'll hear all sorts of recommendations for some new cool thing to bolt on your AR. Don't waste your money. Wait. See above.

It's fun and exciting but in the end you'll find that the majority of the things people will suggest you purchase are a waste. Look at the ARs of those that shoot a lot. Most are void of hangy things.

K. Foster
12-09-2012, 07:12
Mags and ammo. Then just go shoot it.

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 07:15
Congratulations.

There's not a single person that can properly recommend "accessories" for you. At this time you can't even do that for yourself.

Take the AR to the range and work on things like target acquisition, mag changes, and get it sighted in at the distance of your choice. Then take a basic carbine class. At this point you'll start to get a feel for what you NEED.

You'll hear all sorts of recommendations for some new cool thing to bolt on your AR. Don't waste your money. Wait. See above.

It's fun and exciting but in the end you'll find that the majority of the things people will suggest you purchase are a waste. Look at the ARs of those that shoot a lot. Most are void of hangy things.

This, this, and this.

If it's your first AR, learn to shoot the damn thing, and decide exactly what you want it to do before you go spending money on crap you might not even want or need.

Buy lots of mags (GI mags with Magpul followers are good, PMAGs are better) and several different kinds of ammo. See what ammo your gun runs well with and shoots accurately, then buy lots of it.

ratf51
12-09-2012, 08:07
I put a Nikon M223 2-8x on a recent AR rifle build. It is a wonderful scope. That said, especially since it is your first AR, learn to shoot it with the irons before adding any optics. You may find that you don't need or want optics and that frees up more funds for ammo. Happy shooting!

bmoore
12-09-2012, 08:29
Keep that 20 inch beauty just how it is. Buy another rifle for all your accessories once you find out what you want. Theres just something about a nice clean 20" A2 or A4.

WinterWizard
12-09-2012, 13:19
Congratulations.

Yep.

Don't be one of those AR guys who has $1000 worth of crap hanging off your AR and your groups are 15" at 100 yards. I'm always baffled by the guys at the range with their high-precision bolt rifles with $800 scopes, and at 100 yards their groups look like the handgun groups of a beginner shooter. :rofl:

Boot Stomper
12-09-2012, 21:45
Nice buy. I have been debating buying an AR. How much did the model 4 cost?

I have a hard time laying out a $1000 on a rifle. I wish the good $600/$700 deal were still around. Seem about $900 is the going starting rate with demand the way it is currently.

Tank44
12-09-2012, 23:35
I got it for $839 from Buds Guns. Shipping was free and the FFL was a friend so it was free.

SilverBullet_83
12-12-2012, 16:29
Stag model 2. Kiss. Like it just like that