Hunting AR trigger job [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting AR trigger job

WarEagle32
12-09-2012, 00:20
I have just got a Remington VTR 15 to use for coyote hunting. I really really like the rifle. It has what Remington calls "a single stage hunting trigger". It is better than mil spec. It is breaking right at 6 lbs but has more creep than I would like. I've spent a good bit on this and don't have a lot of money to put into a trigger. I only like single stages. Can I realistically get a gunsmith to clean up the trigger for me being that it is better than a mil spec trigger? Or do I need to just save my money and put a JP in it eventually. When I lived in Atlanta I had a smith do an outstanding job on a milspec trigger for me. Now I live in a more rural area that only has one good gunsmith, and I haven't been able to get in touch to talk to him about it. Just wanted some thoughts from you guys that are in the know on this and see what thoughts you had! Thanks!!

Deployment Solu
12-09-2012, 00:54
I bought two of POF's one piece single stage triggers and installed them in two rifles (because THAT trigger came in my new POF AR10). It is 4.5 lb break and NO creep. It is fantastic.

Armchair Commando
12-09-2012, 01:39
http://geissele.com/

faawrenchbndr
12-09-2012, 06:13
I used a 3# Timney in my 6.8 SPC

Bren
12-09-2012, 06:16
The easiest solution is to drop in a Chip McCormick tirgger group. All one piece - pull out the hammer and trigger pins and the selector switch and drop the whole thing in.
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/977/977681.jpg

Big Bird
12-09-2012, 08:11
Giessele

You don't reallly want a mil spec trigger that's been altered by a local smith for lots of reasons. Biggest reason is they cut through the very thin surface hardening and will compromise reliability or safety. A few smiths know how to re heat treat the parts but most don't.

Giessele.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 08:12
Save up your money and buy a Geissele.

K. Foster
12-09-2012, 08:40
If the rifle is new, put a few hundred rounds through it and the trigger will improve. It won’t hurt to have your ‘smith look at it. A little polishing may be all that’s needed but I wouldn’t let him file on it because once you break through the surface hardening, the part is essentially ruined unless it’s re-heat treated. That would end up costing you more in the long run.

Matthew Courtney
12-09-2012, 18:39
The ALG ACT with a JP yellow trigger spring and JP red hammer spring can be had for $75. While not as sweet as a Geissele, the ACT is as good as it gets with a standard trigger. It is as good or better than any smith tuned stock trigger and likely mich more reliable.

Travclem
12-09-2012, 21:06
Geissele SSA

Big Bird
12-10-2012, 07:32
Geissele SSA

For a precision hunting rifle I'd actually recommend the SSA-E which will give a little crisper break than the SSA which Giessele describes as having a break like bending a carrot.

I have both and I put the SSA-E on my 6.8 deer gun. Its about $10-20 more depending on where you buy one. PSA has them on sale regularly.

Travclem
12-10-2012, 07:36
For a precision hunting rifle I'd actually recommend the SSA-E which will give a little crisper break than the SSA which Giessele describes as having a break like bending a carrot.

I have both and I put the SSA-E on my 6.8 deer gun. Its about $10-20 more depending on where you buy one. PSA has them on sale regularly.
Another great option.

glockdoc21
12-10-2012, 07:56
Another 12 votes for a geissele ssa e

WarEagle32
12-11-2012, 01:08
Gonna give the geissele a good hard look. As well as a Timney, and JP. My AR 10 had a JP 3 lb in it and it was literally awesome. As I stated earlier this rifle is going to be used almost exclusively as a coyote rifle. If I were to go with a Timney, or Chip McCormick drop-in, would you guys go with a 3 or 4lb pull? I have recently moved to a fairly rural area and there is only one gunsmith around here that has a good reputation, however, he hasn't called me back so I may just buy a drop in. And I hear that the drop-ins are very close to a bolt action. I am leaning 3lb, if I go drop-in, but have never shot a drop in AR trigger, so the 4 pound might be better or more durable for a small pin AR15. Thoughts guys? Thanks a lot!

Armchair Commando
12-11-2012, 01:35
Gonna give the geissele a good hard look. As well as a Timney, and JP. My AR 10 had a JP 3 lb in it and it was literally awesome. As I stated earlier this rifle is going to be used almost exclusively as a coyote rifle. If I were to go with a Timney, or Chip McCormick drop-in, would you guys go with a 3 or 4lb pull? I have recently moved to a fairly rural area and there is only one gunsmith around here that has a good reputation, however, he hasn't called me back so I may just buy a drop in. And I hear that the drop-ins are very close to a bolt action. I am leaning 3lb, if I go drop-in, but have never shot a drop in AR trigger, so the 4 pound might be better or more durable for a small pin AR15. Thoughts guys? Thanks a lot!

As far as triggers go you cannot beat a a geisselle trigger, drop in or gunsmithed it doesn't matter. Id go with a 4lb trigger for predator hunting applications.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 06:36

I have been running a Timney 3# in a lower I built for a 6.8 SPC
Love it,........highly recommended!

eracer
12-11-2012, 06:38
http://geissele.com/
He said he doesn't have a lot of money for a trigger.

I have four Geissele triggers myself, and will never put anything else into an AR that I own. But they are kind of expensive.

Big Bird
12-11-2012, 10:28

I have four Geissele triggers myself, and will never put anything else into an AR that I own. But they are kind of expensive.

But a decent AR trigger runs about $160-200 when its all said and done. That's the facts jack!

Armchair Commando
12-11-2012, 15:21

He's considering going with a chip or timney as well, Their not cheap either. Midwayusa has chips for 180 and timney for 210.

Cole125
12-11-2012, 20:36
+1 to the Timney 3lb trigger! Perfect for any target or hunting AR.

I've got one in my varmint AR, and just put one in my go to rifle, GREAT triggers.

eracer
12-12-2012, 06:06
But a decent AR trigger runs about $160-200 when its all said and done. That's the facts jack!I was thinking along the lines of Bill Springfield's mods, which cost around $40.

http://triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

And that's the truth, Ruth!

WarEagle32
12-12-2012, 17:30
I have seen that I am going to have to spend some coin on this trigger. I have spent almost a grand on the rifle and another 400 on the glass and mounts. So I will be damned if I am going to have that nice of a setup and short the trigger. So I am either going to get a JP, Timney, or Geissele. Just want to know if I should go 3 or 4 lbs being its a predator rifle.