AR 15 Newbie, info needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Newbie, info needed

Teej
12-09-2012, 08:21
I am a complete AR newbie. I shot one once, about 20 rounds and it was great and easy to shoot. All of my military, LEO, and or shooting friends claim "I have to have one". lol

So I just bought a used BUSHMASTER XM15E2S. It has only had 100 rnds shot through it and not a single scratch on it. I got it for $700 which I do not think is bad.

It has a traditional solid stock which I like and standard AR sights and no rails. So my plan is to add a quad rail and 200 lumen fore grip flashlight. Probably a 1 point sling and be good to go.

This will primarily be a fun target shooting rifle while being able to say I have one. I don't plan on any lengthy battles, zombies are always a concern :whistling:. It will probably be taken over by my 16 yr old [unless I go to the range by myself] who for some reason is a complete natural shooting an AR.

So used with only 100 rnds through it, I do not consider it being broken in.

So Black Gun guys and gals, what can I expect? Any advice, opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It states .223 or 5.56 so ammo recomendations and concerns as well as magazine pros and cons would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much!!
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/318517000/318517775/pix126437034.jpg

Glockdude1
12-09-2012, 08:29
The Bushmaster will serve you well!!

http://i56.tinypic.com/muvp5k.jpg

I shoot M193 5.56 thru it with no problems.

:thumbsup:

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 08:35
Get some good lube, good mags (PMAGs are your friend), and a few different kinds of ammo. See what brand and type of ammo it runs reliably and accurately. Buy loads of it.

For general plinking, look at inexpensive 55 grain loads. I have always had good luck with Federal, as well as their American Eagle line. If you want HD/SD ammo, I'd suggest taking a look at this link (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223).

Skip the quad rail and light - for now. Learn to run the gun first, then worry about upgrades or modifications.

Bushmaster has a very hit-and-miss reputation. If you run into any problems, post details here and someone can probably help you out.

Teej
12-09-2012, 08:48
I use Breakfree on all my other guns including my Glocks. Due I need some special type of Lube for my AR? Oh, and is there any special tool outside of normal gun cleaning tools that I need to have for an AR??

ratf51
12-09-2012, 09:00
Breakfree is what I use. I have had no problems with it. It is what gets used on all my guns. Though I may try Ballistol when this can runs out.

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 09:08
For lube, the most effective (and by FAR easiest to use) product I have found is SLIP 2000 EWL. Strip down the bolt carrier and clean it well. Wipe down all the surfaces (inside and out of carrier, outside of bolt) with EWL, and a couple extra drops on the gas rings on the bolt itself. Reassemble, and put a drop inside the gas key, too. Put BCG back into AR, and reassemble rifle. The SLIP will seem to evaporate, but leaves a dry lube film behind that still works extremely well.

If you look through the ejection port (with the gun fully assembled), you'll see a divot in the side of the bolt carrier. There are two holes in this divot. If the gun starts to run sluggish at all, pull your charging handle back about an inch, and look through those two holes. Ease back on the charging handle until you see the shiny steel gas rings through those two holes. One drop of EWL into each hole, and one drop in the third hole behind them on the carrier. Rack the bolt 5-6 time to let the oil work in, and go back to shooting.

Using EWL, I have easily gone over 2,000 rounds without cleaning and minimal re-lubing (several hundred rounds and several range trips between applications). A 4oz bottle is not that expensive (about $12, as I remember) and will last half of forever.

SLIP bore cleaner, and their degreaser both work quite well, too.

WayaX
12-09-2012, 09:10
I use Breakfree on all my other guns including my Glocks. Due I need some special type of Lube for my AR? Oh, and is there any special tool outside of normal gun cleaning tools that I need to have for an AR??

Breakfree is fair. If you shoot for an extended period of time, breakfree burns off faster than most (maybe with the exception of Remoil). I've found that after 150 rounds, breakfree is gone, compared to 500+ rounds for some of the better dedicated oils. Slip2000 is the industry standard.

Teej
12-09-2012, 09:12
Where do you guys get this SLIP lube from??

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 09:22
Where do you guys get this SLIP lube from??

I'm lucky that one of my local shops became a SLIP dealer recently. However, you can order online direct from SLIP themselves (http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=S), as well as from Bravo Company. I'm sure plenty of other websites sell it, too.

Bonus - S2K Gun Lube and EWL are both non-toxic.

Edit: The tiny 2cc bottles of EWL are freaking AWESOME for keeping in pistol grips, stock storage compartments, etc. Bonus, you can refill them by popping the little nipple out of the bottle.

bmoore
12-09-2012, 09:26
This is an option

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SLiP-2000-EWL-p/slip2000%2060320.htm

WoodenPlank has you dialed in on how to lube the rifle. I like to put a couple drops on my charging handle and the 4 rails of the bolt carrier group. You may want to also purchase a .22 caliber rifle boresnake, they work quite well and are easy to use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/260083/hoppes-boresnake-bore-cleaner-rifle-22-caliber

Happypuppy
12-09-2012, 09:30
I am testing DuPont Chainsaver Teflon lube on a AR. I have used it on all my Motorcycles for years with excellent results. It has many of the same issues I need

1 corrosion resistance
2 stability on a wide range of temps
3 shear resistance

So far it is excellent. As the weather gets colder I will have more data on cold resistance and effects. It leaves a waxy, almost grease like white residue.

A few hundred rounds as far as reliability you will get a good idea and it will continue to smooth out. These guns seem to have a personality as far as lube needs, issues etc even within the same brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 09:32
This is an option

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SLiP-2000-EWL-p/slip2000%2060320.htm

WoodenPlank has you dialed in on how to lube the rifle. I like to put a couple drops on my charging handle and the 4 rails of the bolt carrier group. You may want to also purchase a .22 caliber rifle boresnake, they work quite well and are easy to use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/260083/hoppes-boresnake-bore-cleaner-rifle-22-caliber

Thanks for pointing that out. I use a couple drops in the charging handle channel, then a couple drops on the inside of the handle itself (where the gas key rests) before reinserting the BCG into the upper.

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 09:33
I am testing DuPont Chainsaver Teflon lube on a AR. I have used it on all my Motorcycles for years with excellent results. It has many of the same issues I need

1 corrosion resistance
2 stability on a wide range of temps
3 shear resistance

So far it is excellent. As the weather gets colder I will have more data on cold resistance and effects. It leaves a waxy, almost grease like white residue.

A few hundred rounds as far as reliability you will get a good idea and it will continue to smooth out. These guns seem to have a personality as far as lube needs, issues etc even within the same brand.

I'm not a fan of lubing guns with lubricants not intended for guns. An AR bolt carrier group will be subject to a lot more heat and carbon residue than a motorcycle chain will be.

Teej
12-09-2012, 09:35
Any special breakin procedure needed for AR's??

bmoore
12-09-2012, 09:37

Just shoot them. I always clean and lube my firearms after I get them home from the store. I would do the same with yours since it is used. Good clean, lube and bang away, be safe out there........rifle rounds are a whole lot different than most handgun rounds.

EDIT- Oh and confirm the rifle is zero'd.

Happypuppy
12-09-2012, 09:42
I'm not a fan of lubing guns with lubricants not intended for guns. An AR bolt carrier group will be subject to a lot more heat and carbon residue than a motorcycle chain will be.

A motorcycle chain has many of the same issues. Debris sticking to it is one. So far it is staying very clean with minimal cleaning needed for carbon residue. The product works well under high and low temps. My issue with some of the products I have played with lately ( frog Lube) is they are left wanting in very cold temps and some corrosion complaints so resistance to corrosion maybe an issue

When the M16 first came out and had issues in the the late 60s we used a product called dry slide. It worked pretty well on the carrier group and was pretty dry to put on and it left a film. I am curious to see if this is similar although a chain care product

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 09:46

Zero it, lube it, shoot the crap out of it. If it doesn't run, post here and we will try to help you un-**** it.

A motorcycle chain has many of the same issues. Debris sticking to it is one. So far it is staying very clean with minimal cleaning needed for carbon residue. The product works well under high and low temps. My issue with some of the products I have played with lately ( frog Lube) is they are left wanting in very cold temps and some corrosion complaints so resistance to corrosion maybe an issue

When the M16 first came out and had issues in the the late 60s we used a product called dry slide. It worked pretty well on the carrier group and was pretty dry to put on and it left a film. I am curious to see if this is similar although a chain care product

The bit in bold sounds a lot like how SLIP 2000 functions. It leaves the carrier with a slightly "wet" look, even after the fluid itself has dried out.

bmoore
12-09-2012, 09:47
OP quality mags have been mentioned and cannot be stressed enough. My cousin has a Bushy that shipped with a crap mag and immediately caused failures to feed. Pmags and GI mags had it running with just a mag swap. Magpul Pmags are high quality mags and cheap (for you) I live in the great CA so I have to pay 23 dollars for a 10 round mag.

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 09:51
OP quality mags have been mentioned and cannot be stressed enough. My cousin has a Bushy that shipped with a crap mag and immediately caused failures to feed. Pmags and GI mags had it running with just a mag swap. Magpul Pmags are high quality mags and cheap (for you) I live in the great CA so I have to pay 23 dollars for a 10 round mag.

http://www.jlh-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

Sorry, I had to...

The two most common issues with AR-15s not running well, IMO, are mags and bolt carrier groups. In the latter case, either not lubed enough (or improperly), or otherwise defective/out of spec.

bmoore
12-09-2012, 09:54
http://www.jlh-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

Sorry, I had to...

The two most common issues with AR-15s not running well, IMO, are mags and bolt carrier groups. In the latter case, either not lubed enough (or improperly), or otherwise defective/out of spec.

Hey thats not funny! Bullet buttons, 10 round caps, no CCW. Arghhhhhh. I did take my Utah/AZ CCW class yesterday and it was a blast. The wifes family is in Scottsdale so it was a great reason to snag an LC9 and my permit. Ok thread de-reailment over, carrry on OP.

Travclem
12-09-2012, 10:20
Our 3 hole Bushmaster has been going strong since the 80s. Get some mags and ammo and light 'er up.

Teej
12-09-2012, 10:31
Our 3 hole Bushmaster has been going strong since the 80s. Get some mags and ammo and light 'er up.

When you refer as "3 hole Bushmaster" what do you mean?

Just heard from a childhood friend and former US Marine who owns this same AR. He loves his and says it has done everything it is supposed to.. I'm getting excited!

faawrenchbndr
12-09-2012, 10:32
Get a few "chamber brushes" from Brownells, MidwayUSA........
Need them to properly clean the locking lugs of the barrel extension

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 10:34
When you refer as "3 hole Bushmaster" what do you mean?

Just heard from a childhood friend and former US Marine who owns this same AR. He loves his and says it has done everything it is supposed to.. I'm getting excited!

3 holes in the lower - trigger pin, hammer pin, sear pin. In short, full auto.

Get a few "chamber brushes" from Brownells, MidwayUSA........
Need them to properly clean the locking lugs of the barrel extension

This, too, ESPECIALLY if you plan to shoot steel cased ammo.

Glockdude1
12-09-2012, 11:01

Is it roll marked "Sendra" by chance?

:cool:

Travclem
12-09-2012, 11:12
Is it roll marked "Sendra" by chance?

:cool:
Not that I recall, but it may be. I'd have to look in a few weeks when i get home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z20n9r3fRrU&feature=youtu.be

WayaX
12-09-2012, 12:43

Let's not mention most motor oils are designed for a sealed system and oxidize much faster in an open air environment. Most also have toxic additives. I stray from the flock and use Weapon Shield instead of Slip, but it's more a matter of what is at hand than what works better.

agentzombieman
12-09-2012, 18:16
AR Newbies, check of the new DVD "Black Rifle Boot Camp; Intro to the AR" http://www.mcssl.com/store/sotg/training/black-rifle-boot-camp-dvd

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 18:36
AR Newbies, check of the new DVD "Black Rifle Boot Camp; Intro to the AR" http://www.mcssl.com/store/sotg/training/black-rifle-boot-camp-dvd

4 posts, and all of them advertising the same website.

:upeyes:

bmoore
12-09-2012, 19:04

I will get right on that. Got any meat from a truck to sell? I need a good ribeye.

Teej
12-09-2012, 19:07
What do you guys think about these? BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle My friend swears it is a great well worth the fifty bucks value.

I am guessing I'd have to be a very regular or competitive shooter before I'd need to think about upgrading the charging handle........

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 19:09
What do you guys think about these? BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle My friend swears it is a great well worth the fifty bucks value.

I am guessing I'd have to be a very regular or competitive shooter before I'd need to think about upgrading the charging handle........

My SBR wears a second generation (ie: current) Gunfighter Mod. 4, and my 16" mid length has a first generation Mod 4. The Gunfighter CH is a lot more user friendly than the standard, and much stronger than most extended latch charging handles.

bmoore
12-09-2012, 19:11

Absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading a charging handle right out of the box, it is part of the "heart" of the rifle. The BCM charging handles are well made and are fairly "cheap" upgrade to provide some nice insurance.

faawrenchbndr
12-09-2012, 19:11
I have one and found it to be a waste.
Been shooting the M16/AR since 1985, never had a charging handle break.

odiesplace
12-09-2012, 19:44
I ran Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic for years, works great.. I have just switched to running frog lube on a couple of my guns, so far its working well. I would say lube it up, get some mags and shoot the crap out of it.
Check the staking on your bcg to make sure it doesn't rattle lose before you run her to hard

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 19:49
I have one and found it to be a waste.
Been shooting the M16/AR since 1985, never had a charging handle break.

I had a Badger latch on a standard charging handle, and the lower ear beneath the latch was starting to give way when I switched to the Gunfighter. I see a LOT less wear on the Gunfighter's right side than I did on the Badger'd standard latch, indicating the charging handle doesn't flex nearly as much. I credit that to the latch design helping center the force of pulling it back.

Plus, the improved Gunfighter latch makes it a lot easier to clear malfunctions than even the Badger.

Travclem
12-09-2012, 19:57
I use the BCM Gunfighter mod 3 charging handles on my rifles and I like them a lot. They are perfect for reaching up and swiping the ch back with the palm of my left hand. They don't flex as much as standard handles either. I found the mod 4 was too clumsy for me and got tangled up easy.

I just run a bead of RTV on them and they work better than gas busters for shooting suppressed.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 20:15
I use the BCM Gunfighter mod 3 charging handles on my rifles and I like them a lot. They are perfect for reaching up and swiping the ch back with the palm of my left hand. They don't flex as much as standard handles either. I found the mod 4 was too clumsy for me and got tangled up easy.

I just run a bead of RTV on them and they work better than gas busters for shooting suppressed.

Have you tried the second gen Gunfighter yet? Supposedly the extra lip on the top helps deal with the gas issues on suppressed guns without resorting to RTV.

Travclem
12-09-2012, 20:32
Mine are gen2, and they are the middle size, what ever mod that may be.

cowboy1964
12-09-2012, 20:32

I just got the Mod 4 version (the middle-sized one) a few weeks ago. It is a worthwhile upgrade for any serious use AR (that is, not just a range plinker beater).

cowboy1964
12-09-2012, 20:35
They are perfect for reaching up and swiping the ch back with the palm of my left hand.

Why not just use the forefinger and thumb?

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 20:38
Mine are gen2, and they are the middle size, what ever mod that may be.

Mod 4 is the medium sized one.

Faster and easier to swipe with your palm than try to use forefinger and thumb. A little less likely to screw up one of your fingers that way, too.

Travclem
12-09-2012, 20:39
That's just not how I do it. I am a lot faster the other way. Gross motor skills are faster and more reliable under pressure than fine motor skills.

bmoore
12-09-2012, 22:35

I am not getting all crazy/Mr gunfighter here but you should train with big surfaces/big movements. I know from experience that I lose fine motor skills and hearing in a high stress enviroment. I would rather just blade it with my and than my thumb and finger.

WayaX
12-11-2012, 11:55
I have a gen2 while the lip helps a little the gas, I still used RTV to make it even better.

These are one of the few things that go on every AR-15 I own. They are a 100% upgrade from the stock if you intend to put asymmetrical force on the charging handle. Chances are, you may never break the roll pin or bend the handle, but the BCM handle is good insurance (and the latch is icing on the cake).

Teej
12-12-2012, 19:38
Can I attach or what would I need to get to be able to attach a one point sling to a Bushmaster model like this one with the traditional stock?
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/318517000/318517775/pix964312151.jpg

WoodenPlank
12-12-2012, 20:12
Can I attach or what would I need to get to be able to attach a one point sling to a Bushmaster model like this one with the traditional stock?
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/318517000/318517775/pix964312151.jpg

Single point slings blow. I'm not sure of any method to attach one to a traditional rifle stock, either.

Travclem
12-12-2012, 20:20
Maybe this.
http://www.cobratactical.com/TangoDown-Sling-Adapter-for-Fixed-Stocks-AR15-PR16A4_p_550.html

Or this.
http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/78/

Or this
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/tactical-sling-mounts/ar-15-m16-a2-single-point-sling-adapter-prod31829.aspx

Teej
12-16-2012, 18:12
Magazine question

the rifle is stamped .223 - 5.56

Will ANY AR15 magazine? I mean does the 5.56 round fit and function out of the same magazine. Or is there a different magazine for each cal? thanks

WoodenPlank
12-16-2012, 18:13
Magazine question

the rifle is stamped .223 - 5.56

Will ANY AR15 magazine? I mean does the 5.56 round fit and function out of the same magazine. Or is there a different magazine for each cal? thanks

No difference at all for magazines.

(Edit: Unless you buy a magazine for 6.5, 6.8, or some other caliber by accident...)