Buying and keeping a new Sig 556 in storage [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying and keeping a new Sig 556 in storage

G-nineteen
12-09-2012, 11:08
I don't believe our right to buy guns will be threatened any time soon. However, "just in case," and for the sheer pleasure of ownership, I'm thinking of getting a Sig 556.

Would I be able to keep it in new condition for months or years or would it have to be driven like a car? Would a new EBR "seize up" if not used?

Mayhem like Me
12-09-2012, 11:21
Store it with a coating of lube/rust preventative and springs at rest forever.

raven11
12-09-2012, 11:33
Cosmoline everywhere

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/

smokin762
12-09-2012, 11:41
I have used Remington Dry Lube on items to store for long term. They were just fine. However, you do need to check on things from time to time just to make sure.

They sell storage tubes for firearms if you’re planning on burring it in your backyard. I would also wrap it in VC Paper to keep away any moister and possibly a sealable bag.:whistling:

http://cheaperthandirtcom.blogspot.com/2009/09/long-term-gun-storage.html

Tango 1Zero
12-09-2012, 12:11
I will keep it for you....

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 12:17
Not a fan of the SIG 556, personally.

For what you're talking about, any well-made rifle that's been properly lubed with a rust-inhibiting preservative/lubricant and stored in a sealed bag (preferably with plenty of oxygen and/or moisture absorbers) in a safe will be fine.

MrMurphy
12-09-2012, 13:27
Also not a fan of the 556.

That said, lubed with a grease, wiped down properly and stored in a vacuum bag with some desiccants, you'd be good for many years.

G-nineteen
12-09-2012, 14:56
Also not a fan of the 556.

That said, lubed with a grease, wiped down properly and stored in a vacuum bag with some desiccants, you'd be good for many years.

Wow, I had never appreciated an off-topic post so much. I did a quick search on GT and found the 556 to be disliked. Will look at other piston-based options. Thanks.

Now, back to our topic.

Mayhem like Me
12-09-2012, 15:06
Wow, I had never appreciated an off-topic post so much. I did a quick search on GT and found the 556 to be disliked. Will look at other piston-based options. Thanks.

Now, back to our topic.

I like the system they work fine, I have a 551 SBR on layaway...:)

Not a 556 fan just because of the looks they work fine...

Clean and cover in a light coat of ballistol or simmilar rust preventative a light coat of oil on the Hard chromed parts. Plastic bag suck and seal you will not have an issue

Spiffums
12-09-2012, 16:04
I don't believe our right to buy guns will be threatened any time soon. However, "just in case," and for the sheer pleasure of ownership, I'm thinking of getting a Sig 556.

Would I be able to keep it in new condition for months or years or would it have to be driven like a car? Would a new EBR "seize up" if not used?

That's like saying I'm not gay, but I go a boyfriend just in case.

If you think you need to bury a gun.......it's probably time to dig them up!

G-nineteen
12-09-2012, 16:09
I did not say "bury." Storage may mean: wrap it up and put in back of closet

Warp
12-09-2012, 16:16

Now, back to our topic.

Why piston?

bmoore
12-09-2012, 16:20
Why piston?

I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread.

smokin762
12-09-2012, 16:27

Now, back to our topic.

When the Sig 556 first came out, I bought one. I tried to like that rifle. After a year I sold it. I decided to stay with the AR rifles and added a 16Ē mid length to the collection. I have been happy ever since.

A friend of mine bought his Sig 556 a week before I bought mine. He noticed a gouge on the inside of the receiver where the bolt rides. He sent it back to Sig for them to see if it was okay. They told him, he needs to give them the information for his FFL. They sent him a new one. He sold that rifle without shooting it. He didnít want to take a chance on it.

These are just my experiences with the Sig 556.

smokin762
12-09-2012, 16:28
That's like saying I'm not gay, but I go a boyfriend just in case.

If you think you need to bury a gun.......it's probably time to dig them up!

I said bury. I was only joking. :supergrin:

Travclem
12-09-2012, 16:47
Skip the Sig 556 and the piston all together. If you want a piston gun, get an AK.

Matthew Courtney
12-09-2012, 16:53
Simce you intend to put the rifle up for an indeterminant length of time, I strongly advise a standard direct impingment AR instead of a Sig 556 or other piston rifle. The Sig 556 and other piston rifles have quite a few proprietary parts. If Sig discontinues the 556, goes under, or ceases doing business in the US due to regulatory or other issues, getting parts for a 556 could become quite challenging, whereas there are so many makers of AR parts and AR's in circulation that AR parts will likely be available long after our great-grandchildren have buried our yet unborn grandchildren. Even decades after a tranformational world altering event which ends manufacturing as we now know it, folks will still be cannibalizing irrepairable AR's for parts.

bmoore
12-09-2012, 16:55
Simce you intend to put the rifle up for an indeterminant length of time, I strongly advise a standard direct impingment AR instead of a Sig 556 or other piston rifle. The Sig 556 and other piston rifles have quite a few proprietary parts. If Sig discontinues the 556, goes under, or ceases doing business in the US due to regulatory or other issues, getting parts for a 556 could become quite challenging, whereas there are so many makers of AR parts and AR's in circulation that AR parts will likely be available long after our great-grandchildren have buried our yet unborn grandchildren. Even decades after a tranformational world altering event which ends manufacturing as we now know it, folks will still be cannibalizing irrepairable AR's for parts.

Very informative post, great points.

G-nineteen
12-09-2012, 17:08
I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread.

I've never owned an AR or AK and am open to getting an education. But I don't want this to devolve into a DI vs. piston thread.

Warp
12-09-2012, 17:12
I've never owned an AR or AK and am open to getting an education. But I don't want this to devolve into a DI vs. piston thread.

Get DI for your AR. The platform was designed as and for DI, and it works very well.

The parts compatibility was touched on earlier, and is definitely worth considering, even for short/immediate term. "Regular" DI AR15 parts are going to be so much more readily and economically available.

bmoore
12-09-2012, 17:13

Not to sound like a jerk but I think you have a ton of research to do before buying any rifle. Nobody is trying to "de-rail" your thread. I think you found your answer to how to store it for months, years or whatever your plan is.

G-nineteen
12-09-2012, 17:13

Thanks for the great post.

G-nineteen
12-09-2012, 17:21
Not to sound like a jerk but I think you have a ton of research to do before buying any rifle. Nobody is trying to "de-rail" your thread. I think you found your answer to how to store it for months, years or whatever your plan is.

Yes, I got my answer. Thanks to all who played

cowboy1964
12-09-2012, 18:33
For a "just in case" stash gun I would stick with as generic a weapon as possible.

Don't worry about Cosmoline. If you're storing it indoors (eg, your house) it's not going to rust.

MrMurphy
12-09-2012, 23:14
I've had a pump shotgun rust standing against a wall inside an apartment in ONE DAY.

870 Express with the crappy finish, forgot to wipe it down after carrying it in hand all day.

It wasn't unreversible, but it was there. A Tuf-Cloth wipedown fixed that issue, but never assume "at home"= "No Rust".

G-nineteen
12-09-2012, 23:59
This and some desiccant may do the job

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-097#Reviews

fnfalman
12-10-2012, 11:09
Wrap the gun in an oily rag and it'd be good to go for years, if all you're going to do is keep it in a safe or a closet.

Stay away from the SIG 556 - it's a good thing I bought it used and cheap. I'd be pissed if I were to pay full price for that piece of junk. The quality of workmanship is ridiculously low: coating chipping off and the plastic handguard feels like play-doh or something.