Springfield Range Officer: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Range Officer:

AK74play
12-09-2012, 14:56
OK I happen to have 2 Ruger SR 1911's, one is my shooter and I am very impressed with it. The other is still Brand new still in the box. I have never even taken it out of the plastic. Got a chance to trade it for a BNIB Springfield Range Officer. Now I have had Springers in the past and never dissapointed. My question is if you own or have ever owned and shot one are they as accurate and tight as the reveiws seem to say.? I am only interested in first hand actual experiences shootint the RO. Thanks for any info on this gun.

bac1023
12-09-2012, 15:28
Make the trade. The RO is a great 1911 and is valued higher.

Since you already have a Ruger, it would be foolish not to do it.

Officer's Match
12-09-2012, 15:33
What Bac said.

AK74play
12-09-2012, 15:43

Thats the way I was leaning, it's just that that dam Ruger is a really nice peice. Local dealer tells me the RO wholesales for 690.54 and the Ruger for 535.00 so yea there is at least over a 100 dollar difference on that end anyway. I cant beleive what some of these guys have been paying for them when a little patients could have saved them a bunch of $$$$. As much as I love the one I have been shooting I think this trade is on. Don't really need 2 exactly the same. If the other one was a 9mm I would probably keep them both :) All things money wise asside, are they as tight and accurate as I have heard.?

bac1023
12-09-2012, 15:52
Thats the way I was leaning, it's just that that dam Ruger is a really nice peice. Local dealer tells me the RO wholesales for 690.54 and the Ruger for 535.00 so yea there is at least over a 100 dollar difference on that end anyway. I cant beleive what some of these guys have been paying for them when a little patients could have saved them a bunch of $$$$. As much as I love the one I have been shooting I think this trade is on. Don't really need 2 exactly the same. If the other one was a 9mm I would probably keep them both :) All things money wise asside, are they as tight and accurate as I have heard.?

Yes. I honestly feel the RO is the better of the two 1911s. The Ruger is good, but the RO is better.

Keep in mind that the RO has target sights, if that matters either way.

AK74play
12-09-2012, 16:58
Oh I like the target sights, I'll just have to replace the front with an equilivent front with a white dot. I am just able to get on target faster with the white dot. When I shoot comp I only use the front sight anyway but it will also make it easier (for me anyway) to seperate the front from the rear. Thanks for the input.

bac1023
12-09-2012, 22:24
Oh I like the target sights, I'll just have to replace the front with an equilivent front with a white dot. I am just able to get on target faster with the white dot. When I shoot comp I only use the front sight anyway but it will also make it easier (for me anyway) to seperate the front from the rear. Thanks for the input.

No problem.

Good luck

brianfede
12-09-2012, 22:32
I think the RO is one of the best 1911's for the money. I have first hand experience, they are very accurate and pretty tight (though it's not a custom or a Baer) the only thing I didn't love abt the RO was the smooth front strap, I prefer stippling.

bac1023
12-10-2012, 06:50
I think the RO is one of the best 1911's for the money. I have first hand experience, they are very accurate and pretty tight (though it's not a custom or a Baer) the only thing I didn't love abt the RO was the smooth front strap, I prefer stippling.

The RO is basically the TRP without some of the enhancements and finish. However, the tightness and build quality are the same.

ca survivor
12-10-2012, 07:28
The RO is better.

XDfense
12-10-2012, 09:17
Love my RO. I changed the front sight to a trijicon and left the rear. Added some VZ grips for a custom touch and that's it.

FWIW, I shoot my Dad's DW Heritage and my brother's DW Valor regularly, and I shoot the RO better. Not saying it's better, just saying it's good.

billy b
12-10-2012, 13:21
i"ve had mine for about a year now. when i do my part & shoot it"s favorite ammo it will shoot 1 1/2 at 25 yards. tends to favor swc bullets & hornady xtp bullets. only thing i did to gun was fit a new barrel bushing & add grip tape to front of frame. buy it you won"t be dissapointed.

hooligan74
12-10-2012, 13:56

^^^^ This.

AK74play
12-12-2012, 19:28
Well the deal is done and I just got an e-mail back from Springfields customer service and they offer a direct replacement front sight with a white dot and they gave me the part number and price(16.00) and said they would include a new roll pin for no extra cost so that issue will be solved for me soon. Like I stated befor, I just cant get back on target fast enough with that all black front sight. I appreciate all the input guy's and this weekend I'll find out if it will shoot with my SR. I'm definately keeping this Ruger because it really is a nice 1911 but I am all stoked about shooting the RO. Have always loved Springfields 1911's and this one looks to have found a home.

bac1023
12-12-2012, 19:33
Cool :cool:

Good move...

rhino673
12-12-2012, 19:43
Well the deal is done and I just got an e-mail back from Springfields customer service and they offer a direct replacement front sight with a white dot and they gave me the part number and price(16.00) and said they would include a new roll pin for no extra cost so that issue will be solved for me soon. Like I stated befor, I just cant get back on target fast enough with that all black front sight. I appreciate all the input guy's and this weekend I'll find out if it will shoot with my SR. I'm definately keeping this Ruger because it really is a nice 1911 but I am all stoked about shooting the RO. Have always loved Springfields 1911's and this one looks to have found a home.

Awesome! I love my RO! The only mod is a tritium front sight from Dawson precision. That is the most accurate semi automatic handgun I have ever shot.

porschedog
12-12-2012, 19:50
Same here, I added a tritium front sight and better - for me - grips.

The RO is a great gun, enjoy!

ashecht
12-13-2012, 17:36
I have had my RO for about two weeks and it is tight as a drum. So tight I have a lot of difficulty reassembling it since the slide stop spring is so freaking stiff. What impresses me the most is the complete lack of noise when u shake it. I paid $740 otd. It is far more accurate than its owner! My first 1911 and I love it. I chose it over the Ruger

rhino673
12-13-2012, 20:58
Same here, I added a tritium front sight and better - for me - grips.

The RO is a great gun, enjoy!

What grips did you go with?

bac1023
12-13-2012, 22:44
I have had my RO for about two weeks and it is tight as a drum. So tight I have a lot of difficulty reassembling it since the slide stop spring is so freaking stiff. What impresses me the most is the complete lack of noise when u shake it. I paid $740 otd. It is far more accurate than its owner! My first 1911 and I love it. I chose it over the Ruger

Good price :cool:

Tank44
12-14-2012, 02:06
Make the trade. My RO is extremely accurate and has performed flawlessly. Besides, you already have a Ruger.

Fordtough25
12-14-2012, 08:17
Congrats on both! I would like to own the SR1911 and RO, I currently have a Colt, RIA, and GSG. I think the RO will be next!

okie
12-14-2012, 10:02
Make the trade my friend, I love my RO:thumbsup:

okie
12-14-2012, 10:08
Sorry for the crappy pic but here is my RO with XS big dot sights on it, and I do love the XS's:thumbsup:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/001-1.jpg
http://www.xssights.com/index.php

bac1023
12-14-2012, 10:53
Make the trade my friend, I love my RO:thumbsup:

He did, okie :wavey:

AK74play
12-14-2012, 19:04
Yep and she's going out for a run tomarrow. Wish the white dot front sight was already here, but cant have everything I guess. Maybe by next weekend. I'll be happy if it just shoots as good as my Ruger. Seriously that Ruger really is a hell of a shooter. But I really didn't need 2.
My wife laughed at me when I told her that. First thing she ask me is why I had 19 Glocks then. She has no idea they are all different. Anyway, Springfield has never let me down so I hope this new one treats me the same.
It's a sharp little pistol and feels really good. I think until that front sight gets here I'm gonna slap a touch of white paint on the stock sight, because I know after a few rounds I'm gonna want to get off the rest and really run it.
This thing does feel to be a bit more precision than the Ruger. The slide to frame fit is a bit better. The Ruger isn't loose by any standards and actually was a lot tighter than I had expected. And it is a really sharp looking pistol. Eats everything I can come up with to stick in it. I normally run Wislon mags in my 1911's but these stock mags are doing just a fantastic job.(Checkmates I beleive) Even in my other 1911's they are performing flawless.
I'm not a fan of 7 round 1911 mags but I'll give them a chance befor I put them away in the Springer box and forget I have them.
Thanks for all the input guys.

AK74play
12-15-2012, 22:37
Man, rained like hell all day today so I still havn't fired the thing yet, BUT Fed X showed up today with my white dot front sight. I got it installed and ready to go. Hopefully it will be dry enough tomarrow I can hang some targets and make some holes. Dying to test this thing out.

AK74play
12-16-2012, 12:38
WOW, got to shoot it today and went to sight it in from a rest at 25 yards and didn't have to touch the sights. That thing is dead on. Smooth as glass and cycled, extracted and ejected like a pro. That Ruger is a really nice gun and runs and shoots better than expected, but this thing is like shooting with a hand drill. You simply put the hole wherevery you want it. Really happy with the Ruger but this was a good trade indeed. Now I have one of each and Christmas is over for me. I am a happy man. Replacing that front sight with their white dot was a good move.

Wolfgang
12-16-2012, 15:11
Christmas isn't over, your wife can still give you some socks.

Congrats on the new gun!

AK74play
12-17-2012, 19:39
Christmas isn't over, your wife can still give you some socks.

Congrats on the new gun!

HAAAAA, Yeah and thats probably what she'll get me too. You can bet it WILL be something I don't need. :dunno: