Real cost to get into 550b [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Real cost to get into 550b

jr05
12-09-2012, 18:52
What is your real cost to get into a 550b?

I am talking a basic setup that dumps completed rounds into a bin, but does not have bullet feeder or case feeder. Basically looking for a price including all the "supplies" people tend to miss when they are calculating. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else I couldn't find in search.

What I am seeing I need/want...
Dillon 550b
Strong Mount
Roller Handle
Bullet Tray
Empty Case Bin and Bracket
Primer pickup tubes (sm set)
wrench
spare parts kit

I'm looking at $650. Am I missing anything, or is this a ready to go setup? I already have dies.

I will be starting with 9mm only and will add a conversion kit as needed. For now I will load 45 (since I load less of it) on my LCT. I am shooting far more and I shoot through the ammo I make every week and am looking to upgrade to get some more rds/hr.

Thank for any feedback, and again, sorry of this has been covered 1k times already.

Boxerglocker
12-09-2012, 19:07
Just plug those P/Ns in BE.com and submit your order, FREE shipping. If you already have a scale, dies your good to go.... don't forget your conversion for 9mm.

dhgeyer
12-09-2012, 19:15
I have an automatic primer tube loader that I got with my 550, so I haven't faced this, but I think you'll need some sort of flip tray to get the primers all going the same way to load them into the tubes. If you have a hand priming tool or an automatic feeding device on your SS press, then you probably have a small one you could get by with.

The Dillon multi wrench doesn't have a set of jaws for the die lock rings, and it's awkward with a crescent wrench. Also, there are a few places that use Allen wrenches. I don't know if all the ones you need come with the press.

I don't know if they come lubed, but sooner or later you'll want some grease and 30 wt. oil.

Do you have a case trimmer and calipers? I suppose you must.

jr05
12-09-2012, 19:51
dhgeyer, I do have scale, calipers, bullet puller, flip tray, etc from my current reloading setup. How do you like the auto primer loader? Is it worth the cost (how much was it?)

Boxer, do I need a conversion kit for the 9mm or does that already come with the press when you select the cartridge for loading? I was assuming it would come with the 9mm setup and I would only need a conversion when I am changing to 45acp down the road? I will plan on getting the press from Brian.

unclebob
12-09-2012, 19:51
I would get the Dillon 1Ē lock rings. The press comes with the conversion of your choice. Also it comes with all of the Allen wrenches you need. But I would get ball head Allen wrenches. If you donít already have flip tray, 4Ē funnel, also powder case funnel for poring powder into the case. Really hard to say in not knowing what you already have.

jr05
12-09-2012, 20:07
My current setup is a Lee Classic Turret with a Lee 4 die 9mm set and a Dillon 4 die 45ACP set.

Doesn't the Dillon press come with a powder die included for the caliper you choose? Then I could just use the remaining Lee dies I have?

I will get the Dillon wrench set with the 1" locking rings.

Colorado4Wheel
12-09-2012, 21:06
550 + dies = Your done.

You don't see the LnL guys saying " I just have to have a strong mount.
If you build up the bench the strong mount is totally not needed. It's nice but not needed. Same goes for everything else. Nice but not needed.

SARDG
12-09-2012, 22:21
What is your real cost to get into a 550b?

I am talking a basic setup that dumps completed rounds into a bin, but does not have bullet feeder or case feeder...
No need to worry much about a bullet feeder with the 550 as you run out of stations pretty quickly - unless you want to combine seat and crimp into one die.

dhgeyer
12-10-2012, 06:14
dhgeyer, I do have scale, calipers, bullet puller, flip tray, etc from my current reloading setup. How do you like the auto primer loader? Is it worth the cost (how much was it?)

The automatic setup has an MSRP of three hundred something last I looked. No idea what you would actually have to pay. I never would have bought it all else being equal. It is really nice, though. I got it with the 550 along with a bunch of other stuff for $400.00 cash from a member of my club. Now that I've used it, I think I would pay retail for it if I had to when I had some $ laying around, but not to start out with. It saves a lot of time, which is why one uses a progressive press to begin with.

jr05
12-10-2012, 06:33
Thank for all the replies everybody. Looks like i am goo to go with the setup I have listed.

I could even cut out some of those things and still be good. The basic press and a wrench set should get me up and running. I will think on the strong mount, but worst case...I could get the basic press and then add the strong-mount, etc when/if I feel I need it.

Probably going to be a late christmas present to myself, so will let you all know how the transition to the 550 goes from the LCT when I get it up and running.

unclebob
12-10-2012, 07:20
For the strong mount I would wait until after you receive the press and see if you need one. Also the cartridge case bin/ bracket.
I have to disagree with Steve; there are times when the Strong Mount is better than building the bench taller.
Remember after the first of the year Dillon prices will go up.

Colorado4Wheel
12-10-2012, 07:42
Strong mount is all about the bench height. If your bench is about 42" I would either build up a section about 18" wide that is about 8" taller or get the strong mount. I have done both. I made a special bullet tray and case tray. From a useage perspective it made zero difference to me at that point. And I am picky. BUT I have a stongmount now and its just a lot simplier to have the entire bench at 40" and just the 650 on a strong mount. You need the bullet tray with a strong mount. It's not a option.

HexHead
12-10-2012, 07:57
I'd suggest the strong mount just for the added convenience of the bullet tray and empty case bin. I don't use a roller handle, not convinced it makes that much of a difference since you're using your right hand to load empty cases. I can see it if you're using a case feeder.

ron59
12-10-2012, 08:24
I built my bench tall so I wouldn't need a strong mount. Then it was too dang tall to do much else on. So I lowered it and got a strong mount. I didn't want to "build up" the table where the press was, I was looking for something that was cosmetically decent to look at.

For the price, it's not like it's gonna break you or anything.

unclebob
12-10-2012, 09:21
For me if you build a platform for the press you then have wasted space on the sides. Besides the strong mount putting the press at the right height. It also put the press almost completely on top of the bench top. So I donít bag my head on it when I get something from the shelves below. It also raised the press so now I can open the cabinet doors all the way open without hitting the press. The space below the strong mount is a convenient for the spent primer ben and media from the brass feeder. Also under the bullet tray is a perfect location for the press lubes. Also with the bullet tray you have less movement of the left hand and a nice resting spot. Having done it both ways I like the strong mount. Also if you donít get the strong mount then decide you want the strong mount you now have 4 holes + in the bench top. Some people donít care but I do.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q281/Unclebob46/100_0860_zpscddeedac.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
12-10-2012, 09:32
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3503.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3507.jpg

You don't want to build up the entire bench. You kinda need the luxury of space like I used to have. This was my setup. 24" at the right height for the press the rest at the lower height. With that setup it was essentially the same as the current strong mount setup. In the past I also had a LCT right next to it. It worked great. No issues. Strong mount is way better with limited bench space and if you don't want to make it yourself.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3520-1.jpg

I will post pictures of my new setup in a couple days. Strong mount and Pat Marlin Bench mount for my other presses. Pretty happy with it as well. Lots of ways to get there. Limited space you better get creative.

SARDG
12-10-2012, 09:38
...Also if you donít get the strong mount then decide you want the strong mount you now have 4 holes + in the bench top. Some people donít care but I do.
If nothing else, I thought about extra holes so wanted to get it right the first time. I decided my bench was the perfect height without the strong mount so didn't use it - but I use a shop stool and sit down to load.

I know a lot of folks say that sitting doesn't work for them, but I don't seem to have a problem. And I'm not young like unclebob :whistling: so sitting is a much better deal for me...

Hoser
12-10-2012, 10:24
Give me a strong mount anyday. I even have one on my Co-Ax.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/Reloading%20Stuff/DSC03285.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/Reloading%20Stuff/DSC02772.jpg

fredj338
12-10-2012, 13:42
The real cost is what you see on Dillon or B Enos's sight. You do not need the strong mount & bullet tray but they are nice to have. You DO still need a good scale & calipers, primer flip tray & a couple reloading manuals. Other than that, you are good to start. You will eventually need a way to clean cases, but for now, a damp towel works.

dhgeyer
12-10-2012, 14:20
I have the strong mount. It came with all the other stuff I got from a member of my club. I briefly thought about not using it, but I didn't want the press hanging over the side of my bench.

jr05
12-10-2012, 15:16
Well, I am sold on the strong mount and am going to go for "as it should BE" package from Brian.

I sit down to load with the LCT which works out well, but I think I might stand or get a high stool for the 550b.

norton
12-10-2012, 18:22
Give me a strong mount anyday. I even have one on my Co-Ax.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/Reloading%20Stuff/DSC03285.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/Reloading%20Stuff/DSC02772.jpg

Hoser, thats a clean setup.
How do you like the Co Ax. I didn't know anyone except the Old Goat had one.

SBray
12-11-2012, 14:56
I went with the Strong Mount when I got the 550B. It seems to work really nice, but I could see why someone would want to mount it without one.

Hoser, that's one hell of a nice reloading room setup!

Steve

emtjr928
12-11-2012, 15:20
And I'm not young like unclebob :whistling: so sitting is a much better deal for me...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::wavey:

:embarassed:BTW I sit on a stool as well without a strong mount!

Hoser
12-12-2012, 07:38
Hoser, thats a clean setup.
How do you like the Co Ax. I didn't know anyone except the Old Goat had one.

I really like the Co-Ax. Painfully simple and I dont have to look for shell holders anymore.

And the way the dies lock in lets the die float a little which cuts down on die induced runout (crooked brass) which cant hurt and might help.

I bought all the old goats reloading and casting stuff. That is why he does not post here anymore.