carry 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : carry 1911

SilverBullet_83
12-09-2012, 19:15
Looking into my first 1911 purchase. On a tight budget for this one. So, thinking Ati, RIA and if possible sti spartan(longshot). So, the question is about sizes. I know that the fullsize models will be too big for mw to comfortably carry. But the 3-4" models have me thinking. The models that are just over 3" seem to be about the size of the baby glocks, true? And also, what about the grips, does length of the grips vary between manufacturer?

faawrenchbndr
12-09-2012, 19:26
The smaller they are, the more problems they can have.
The STI would be a great choice

bac1023
12-09-2012, 19:31
This ^

SilverBullet_83
12-10-2012, 05:51
The Spartan is the one I really want, tho funds may not allow it. I will see what happens today when I go to pick up the wifes new carry.

ca survivor
12-10-2012, 06:00
the Spartan has adjustable sights, some time is uncomfortable with some holster if IWB carry.

SilverBullet_83
12-10-2012, 06:08
It wont be every day carry, but it would be iwb when worn. Is that the fullsize that you are reffering too?

faawrenchbndr
12-10-2012, 06:43
The Spartan is the one I really want, tho funds may not allow it. I will see what happens today when I go to pick up the wifes new carry.

Been in that boat many times,.....it is cheaper and more gratifying,
in the long run, to wait, save & get what you want!
I've never been truly happy when I compromised on a firearm.

SilverBullet_83
12-10-2012, 06:47
Im Going to get him to price a few. He has to order them all in thats the downside, but I cant find anyone around here who has them anyways.

SCmasterblaster
12-13-2012, 12:03
I have two SA M1911A1s. Out of your price range, I guess.

Berto
12-13-2012, 12:07
Personally, I wouldn't go under a Commander length in bbl, the shorter grip will make the bigger difference.

Irelander
12-13-2012, 14:33
I am in the same boat as you. I want a 1911 but I am on a budget. Max spend will be around $500. I am looking into RIA, Norinco, and ATI. I'm leaning more towards the ATI. I'm going with a Commander size model (4.25" barrel). I've had full and Officer sizes and I think a Commander is the best of the them all. Full size was too big. Officer size was comfy but too much upkeep and issues. Commander seems like the perfect size to me.

Not to hi-jack the thread but, is there a downside to the RIA midsize 1911's bull barrel (lack of barrel bushing)?

RJ's Guns
12-13-2012, 16:29
The shorter barrel types are particularly prone to malfunctions from different types of “limp wristing”.

I have a highly modified Detonics Combat Master that Jim Stroh (Alpha Precision) built for me and an even nicer Colt Light Weight Officers Model fully customized by the late Jim Boland, that are very accurate and reliable, but they are the exception.

The moral of that story is; if you pay the right people enough money, the short barrel pistols can be made to work right, but the off the shelf versions are typically problematic. However, I have so much money invested in those two pistols that they live in a vault and rarely see the light of day. Some would opine that they are for people with more money than common sense.
RJ

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 16:45
My Springfield Compact 45 never missed a beat, before or after
the facelift. That limp wrist crap is limited to Glocks, I've tried
to induce a limp-wrist malfunction with 1911s. Have yet to
induce a malfunction.

Before........

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/29254acb6063e74ce7bee994292808e2.jpg

After..........

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/Springer%20Compact%2045/df8fa97eaa09aba5b77f784aa935acff.jpg

SilverBullet_83
12-13-2012, 16:52
induce a malfunction.

Before........

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/29254acb6063e74ce7bee994292808e2.jpg

After..........

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/Springer%20Compact%2045/df8fa97eaa09aba5b77f784aa935acff.jpg

How much did that cerakote cost, if you dont mind me asking?

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 17:10
Not really sure,........$300 maybe? The CeraKote was a very
small part of the build.

CC99
12-13-2012, 17:33
For a reliable 1911 in .45acp, I'd go with RIA on a budget.
They have, by far, the highest reviews.
Their Officers model, for carry runs about $402. delivered from http://www.budsunshop.com they will run out of stock quickly.

Run 200 rounds through it to break it in real nice.

glock2740
12-13-2012, 17:48
For a reliable 1911 in .45acp, I'd go with RIA on a budget.
They have, by far, the highest reviews.
Their Officers model, for carry runs about $402. delivered from http://www.budsunshop.com they will run out of stock quickly.

Run 200 rounds through it to break it in real nice.
I've got one of these and not only is it VERY accurate, but has never jammed on anything and I've ran everything you can think of, even a few types of reloads. Hard to beat for the money.

RJ's Guns
12-13-2012, 19:17
That limp wrist crap is limited to Glocks, I've tried
induce a malfunction.

Before........

After..........

Regarding your comment “That limp wrist crap is limited to Glocks”

Just because your personal experience may differ does not mean that others have not experienced the problem.

1. What is the nature and extent of your experience in that regards?

2. Is it limited to the pistol in the photograph that you published?

3. Have you had experience with other similarly configured pistols, if so what other similar pistols, how many rounds did you fire, if any, through each of the other pistols? Is your sampling 10, 20, 50 or even 100 relevant pistols?

4. Is your sampling extensive enough to be statistically significant so as to substantiate your bold categorical statement?

5. How many other individuals did you sample that have significant experience with the relevant pistol configuration at issue?

6. Do you consider the number of those other people to be statistically significant?

7. Other than me, have you ever heard it reported that limp wristing is a problem?

I have never had such a problem with my Glocks or any other Glock that I have fired, nor have I heard others report such a problem yet I would not be presumptuous enough to thereby conclude and boldly state that, with regards to Glocks, ““That limp wrist (problem is) crap.” I recognize that my own personal experience and my knowledge of others experiences with Glocks is an insignificant sampling from which a conclusion cannot be justifiably drawn.

RJ

PS

I would hazard to guess that the reason that you have not had a limp wristing problem is because you are an experienced marksman. I have never had the problem either but I have heard it reported to be a problem for some inexperienced shooters.

And I bet that someone wrenching on aircraft all day has pretty strong wrists

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 19:48
Yea,.......I've shot enough to make an educated statement.
Over the last 27 years it would be very safe to say I've shot
25k+ rounds. I've owned enough Glocks, 1911s, Hi Powers
and others to back that statement.

And after wrenching on aircraft for years, my wrists are ****,
......................I'm no superman!

rdstrain49
12-13-2012, 20:17

:rofl:

sawgrass
12-13-2012, 20:31
induce a malfunction.

Before........

After..........

Those are great before and after pics.

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 20:34
Thanks Ms Sawgrass........one heck of a difference.
I had some better before pics that were lost with a hard drive crash

sawgrass
12-13-2012, 20:55
Thanks Ms Sawgrass........one heck of a difference.
I had some better before pics that were lost with a hard drive crash

That is a beautiful build.
Do you carry it?

RJ's Guns
12-13-2012, 22:06

I know for a fact:

1. That the springs for the recoil mechanism on the shorter versions of the 1911 style pistols are stronger (i.e. have a greater weight rating) than on a full-size government model 1911 style pistol. I have not disassembled one of the shorter versions, in a while, but if memory serves me correctly, they even have multiple spring assemblies.

2. It takes more force to pull back the slide on the shorter versions of the 1911 style pistol versus on a full-size government model 1911 style pistol. At least on every example of the shorter version pistol that I own or have memory operating/shooting.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but I believe that the reason that the springs have a greater weight rating and that it requires more force to pull back the slide, is necessary to compensate for the reduced weight of the slide and the shorter length of the slide relative to the forces generated by firing the cartridge.

Although, I have not conducted the experiment, I am confident that if a rig were made where the pistol could be fired and there was no resistance to the forces generated by firing the pistol, in other words the pistol could freely move backwards in reaction to the impulses generated by firing the cartridge, that the pistol would therefore not be able to chamber another round from the magazine. In other words, there would be a failure to feed.

It is my understanding that the pistol’s mechanism requires that there be some opposing force to the recoil caused by the projectile going out the barrel and the equal and opposite force generated backwards (one of Newton's laws surely applies, but my physics classes were so many decades ago that I forget which Newton's law it would be) in order for the slide to move backwards and chamber a new round from the magazine. If the pistol could move backwards freely, without resistance to the equal and opposite force caused by the projectile leaving the barrel, the slide would not move.

Therefore, since the spring weight of the shorter versions of the 1911 style pistol are greater, therefore, (whichever Newton's law is applicable, i.e. for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction) more resistance to the backward forces are required by the shooter, in order for the pistol to chamber a new round, with the shorter versions versus the full-size government style 1911 pistol. If the shooter does not, for whatever reason, adequately resist the rearward forces generated by firing the pistol (commonly referred to as "limp wristing") the pistol will malfunction and not chamber a new round from the magazine.

After reading your initial reply stating that ““That limp wrist (problem is) crap.” I started thinking about it, and I remember one of mygirlfriends, a petite ballet dancer, with little wrists and minimal wrist/arm strength, never could get any one of my government model 1911 style pistols to chamber a new round from the magazine. I also remember other individuals, (if memory serves me correctly) that were new shooters that initially had problems "limp wristing" 1911 style pistols resulting in failures to feed from the magazine.

Therefore logic and reasoning requires that I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

RJ

sawgrass
12-13-2012, 22:28
I know for a fact as a smaller female who thankfully doesn't have big man hands, that the lighter the gun the more recoil, the more discomfort and possible limp wristing.
I carry and shoot Glocks regularly. If I'm tired or sore from working they can be harder to shoot. The 1911's that I shoot the most are steel framed and tend to absorb some of the recoil. The most evil gun that I have ever shot is an ultra light revolver. I shot about three rounds and told the guy who tried to convince me that it's the perfect woman's gun that he was smoking crack. This rule applies to shotguns and rifles as well. Just because it's a smaller caliber doesn't mean that it's easier to shoot.

Plenty of people for various reasons can't pull a slide back.

Maybe we should just hope that if they are becoming shooters they have sense enough to hold the slide and push on the gun.

fnfalman
12-13-2012, 23:17
Unless a person has some sort of physical issue, limpwristing is a technique problem and not a strength problem. Any healthy woman of any size can lock her wrist to make an autopistol recycle.

RJ's Guns
12-14-2012, 00:08
Unless a person has some sort of physical issue, limpwristing is a technique problem and not a strength problem. Any healthy woman of any size can lock her wrist to make an autopistol recycle.

That is another asinine statement. What planet do you live on, a planet were all women are amazons and built like a plow horse. Maybe you have spent too much time in the Castro District of San Francisco and think that all women are like the men there in drag.

You have repeatedly evidenced that you have little knowledge concerning firearms and now you show that you are also clueless about women. That fits the profile of someone that lives in their mother’s basement, spends all their time posting tens of thousands of times on internet forums and rarely gets out enough to even see many women from afar, let alone, actually get close to real women.

I know for a fact that there are a lot of petite women, with little upper body strength, small hands, little grip strength, weak wrists, that no matter how much training they have or how perfect their technique, they cannot “lock (their) wrist to make an autopistol recycle.” There is asignificant segment of the female population that has the exact same problems as expressed by Sawgrass.

Approximately 50,000 postings on Glock Talk have plainly evidenced what you are and what little, if anything, you know. Just give it up. Have you no shame?

RJ

sawgrass
12-14-2012, 05:37
That is another asinine statement. What planet do you live on, a planet were all women are amazons and built like a plow horse. Maybe you have spent too much time in the Castro District of San Francisco and think that all women are like the men there in drag.

You have repeatedly evidenced that you have little knowledge concerning firearms and now you show that you are also clueless about women. That fits the profile of someone that lives in their mother’s basement, spends all their time posting tens of thousands of times on internet forums and rarely gets out enough to even see many women from afar, let alone, actually get close to real women.

I know for a fact that there are a lot of petite women, with little upper body strength, small hands, little grip strength, weak wrists, that no matter how much training they have or how perfect their technique, they cannot “lock (their) wrist to make an autopistol recycle.” There is asignificant segment of the female population that has the exact same problems as expressed by Sawgrass.

Approximately 50,000 postings on Glock Talk have plainly evidenced what you are and what little, if anything, you know. Just give it up. Have you no shame?

RJ

:wow::rofl:
RJ you may have misunderstood my post. I also feel that training, technique, and tools that fit (grip size mostly) can resolve most issues that some shooters face.

I also think that you are 'below the line' with your personal attack towards another forum member. This is why it's difficult to have a genuine conversation that has the potential to be a learning experience on the internet.

Irelander
12-14-2012, 06:05
I also think that you are 'below the line' with your personal attack towards another forum member. This is why it's difficult to have a genuine conversation that has the potential to be a learning experience on the internet.

I agree.

If you don't have something nice or constructive to say then don't say anything at all. Take it easy RJ, there is no need for that at all.

MD357
12-14-2012, 07:28
Just a few things here......

Don't carry an RIA, sorry but cheap internals can and will fail. If you can't afford something a step up for carry, then skip it till you can. How much is your life worth?

You absolutely CAN limpwrist a 1911, seen it all my life, mostly with smaller barreled ones too. Lotsa guys out there THINK they know proper technique and they don't.

Strength has little do with limpwristing relative to technique. If you use the proper technique you will have no problems even if someone is smaller. Surely there are exceptions but again it's not common IF someone is taught properly how to shoot.

faawrenchbndr
12-14-2012, 08:58

RJ

Wow,........keep digging your hole deeper RJ'
You are clearly clueless about many things, I feel sorry for ya. :faint:

faawrenchbndr
12-14-2012, 09:04
I know for a fact as a smaller female who thankfully doesn't have big man hands, that the lighter the gun the more recoil, the more discomfort and possible limp wristing.
I carry and shoot Glocks regularly. If I'm tired or sore from working they can be harder to shoot. The 1911's that I shoot the most are steel framed and tend to absorb some of the recoil. The most evil gun that I have ever shot is an ultra light revolver. I shot about three rounds and told the guy who tried to convince me that it's the perfect woman's gun that he was smoking crack. This rule applies to shotguns and rifles as well. Just because it's a smaller caliber doesn't mean that it's easier to shoot.

Plenty of people for various reasons can't pull a slide back.

Maybe we should just hope that if they are becoming shooters they have sense enough to hold the slide and push on the gun.

Very good post Ma'am!

It's all about technique. Lighter weapons will transfer more energy
to the shooter. A S&W air weight .357 is brutal, to a male or female.
Some of the smaller 1911s are very over sprung, the Compact
in stock form & as received from Chuck is no harder to rack the
slide on than a standard 1911.

faawrenchbndr
12-14-2012, 09:06

You absolutely CAN limpwrist a 1911, seen it all my life, mostly with smaller barreled ones too. Lotsa guys out there THINK they know proper technique and they don't.

Strength has little do with limpwristing relative to technique. If you use the proper technique you will have no problems even if someone is smaller. Surely there are exceptions but again it's not common IF someone is taught properly how to shoot.

I've yet to be able to induce a limp wrist malfunction with a 1911.
Guess I'll need to do a bit of research,.....wonder if Boy George is still alive? :dunno:

SilverBullet_83
12-14-2012, 11:49
Wow, from just a simple question to this. For what its worth I ended up putting down on a remington r1.

fnfalman
12-14-2012, 12:12
Methinks one of us is an idiot and it ain't me.

Petite women like Oriental chicks who weigh 90-lbs soaking wet and maybe 5-ft tall? They seem to shoot Glocks and every other things just fine.

If you can't teach your female students how to properly manipulate an autopistol, that's YOUR problem and not theirs.

If your postings are to be believed, you've been shooting competitively since 1970s...so that makes you, what, 80-years-old? Maybe senility had caught up to you. This is the 21st Century, gramp, women aren't helpless lil' thangs that are best suited for the kitchen.

RJ

Citroen
12-14-2012, 12:28
About a year and a half ago, I bought an ATI Titan in stainless steel. I wanted the Colt Officer's Model for many years but just could not bring myself to spend the money. I also own a full size Colt 1911 and a custom built by M-Safari many years ago.

My ATI out of the box was very reliable; feeds and fires all types of ammo, even the 200 gr. SWC without issue. Factory trigger was 7.5 pounds so I had it lightened to 4 pounds. Added Hogue grips and that is all.

All of my magazines function in the gun, although it is designed for Officer's size mags. For the money, I paid $545, I think the ATI is an excellent gun. I also have a Glock 30 but prefer the 1911 trigger.
John
Charlotte, NC

fnfalman
12-14-2012, 13:38
About a year and a half ago, I bought an ATI Titan in stainless steel. I wanted the Colt Officer's Model for many years but just could not bring myself to spend the money. I also own a full size Colt 1911 and a custom built by M-Safari many years ago.

My ATI out of the box was very reliable; feeds and fires all types of ammo, even the 200 gr. SWC without issue. Factory trigger was 7.5 pounds so I had it lightened to 4 pounds. Added Hogue grips and that is all.

All of my magazines function in the gun, although it is designed for Officer's size mags. For the money, I paid $545, I think the ATI is an excellent gun. I also have a Glock 30 but prefer the 1911 trigger.
John
Charlotte, NC

ATI are excellent economical guns. The stainless Titan FX compact that I handled had ridiculously good trigger that would put many fancy pistols' trigger pulls to shame.

I ended up buying the Commander size model and had a blast with it (pun intended), then I gave it away to one of my best friends. She loved the gun, and even though she's tiny AND not exactly a spring chicken, she seemed to shoot it just fine without limpwristing.

RJ's Guns
12-14-2012, 14:06
:wow::rofl:
RJ you may have misunderstood my post. I also feel that training, technique, and tools that fit (grip size mostly) can resolve most issues that some shooters face.

At no time did I state that “training, technique,and tools that fit (grip size mostly) (could not) resolve most issues that some shooters face. In fact, I agree. However, there are a significant percentage ofindividual that will still have the problem, despite all the training in the world and the best technique on the planet. Ask any qualified vocational rehabilitation counselor, that routinely conducts physical capacities evaluations, if a significant portion of the population lack grip strength and have weak wrists, yet they are considered to be “normal”.

I initially took issue with faawrenchbndr’s reply to my post #12, faawrenchbnd stating that “That limp wrist crap is limited to Glocks” (post #13). I tried to be polite and still impeach his statement and point out why his opinion lacked the necessary foundation.

I then replied to fnfalman’s preposterous assertion that; “Unless a person has some sort of physical issue, limp wristingis a technique problem and not a strength problem. Any healthy woman of any size can lock her wrist to make an autopistol recycle.” (Emphasis added post# 26) Need I draw your attention to your own written statement about the reason for ; “...possible limp wristing.” (Post #25), something that faawrenchbnd, in effect, stated does not occur in regards to a 1911 style pistol.

Others rouninely call fnfalman a “troll” and worse. Whether or not I agree, is not an issue. If some of my intended humor fell short of the mark, well I never doubted that I would never be successful as a comedian. If you opine that, what I stated was “'below the line,” oh well, we will all just have to live with that. But, I would point out that fnfalman is not as pure as the driven snow in that regards.

RJ

RJ's Guns
12-14-2012, 14:10
the Compact
in stock form & as received from Chuck is no harder to rack the
slide on than a standard 1911.

How is that possible when the slide weighs less and is shorter than on a full size 1911 style pistol. That defies the laws of physics.

RJ

MD357
12-14-2012, 14:38
I've yet to be able to induce a limp wrist malfunction with a 1911.
Guess I'll need to do a bit of research,.....wonder if Boy George is still alive? :dunno:

FWIW, from what I've seen in classes, wannabe alpha males are the worst.

faawrenchbndr
12-14-2012, 14:47
How is that possible when the slide weighs less and is shorter than on a full size 1911 style pistol. That defies the laws of physics.

RJ

Any time you would like to drive your *** to Kansas & learn a few
things, let me know.

fnfalman
12-14-2012, 16:44
However, there are a significant percentage ofindividual that will still have the problem, despite all the training in the world and the best technique on the planet.

And this "significant percentage" is what? 20%? 50%?

If some of my intended humor fell short of the mark, well I never doubted that I would never be successful as a comedian.

Be a man and own up. Rarely you've said anything with "intended humor". You've gone out of your way to denigrade others.

But, I would point out that fnfalman is not as pure as the driven snow in that regards

The difference me and you is that practically every time you spoke, you would mock somebody or put them down. I simply give you a taste of what you and others like you dish out.

fnfalman
12-14-2012, 16:46
FWIW, from what I've seen in classes, wannabe alpha males are the worst.

Them wimmin don't know nuthin' about no guns and shootin'. They too weak in the head and in the hand. They need a macho man to takin' care of biznatch.

RJ's Guns
12-14-2012, 18:12
Methinks one of us is an idiot and it ain't me.

If your postings are to be believed, you've been shooting competitively since 1970s...so that makes you, what, 80-years-old? Maybe senility had caught up to you. This is the 21st Century, gramp, women aren't helpless lil' thangs that are best suited for the kitchen.

I am in my early 60s. If you are lucky enough and wise enough to make the right choices in life, perhaps you can reach that ripe old age and possibly even beyond. However, I doubt that many successful individuals would consider spending so much time on such a trivial pursuit, as required to make close to 50,000 postings on an Internet forum, a wise life choice. To quote Jean-Paul Sartre; “Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.”

When I was in my 20s, 30s, and 40s, I was concentrating on developing my career, so that I could retire in the life of luxury, by the timeI was 55 years old. I did it and retired at the age of 54. To each their own, but every day I give thanks for having the wisdom, talents and drive to achieve my goals. For me, life is a blast and I enjoyed it to its fullness. To quote Jackie Gleason; "How sweet it is"

RJ

fnfalman
12-14-2012, 18:27
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I am in my early 60s. If you are lucky enough and wise enough to make the right choices in life, perhaps you can reach that ripe old age and possibly even beyond.

So that I can be a malicious, hateful person like you?

I'd rather die young and leave a sexy corpse.

However, I doubt that many successful individuals would consider spending so much time on such a trivial pursuit, as required to make close to 50,000 postings on an Internet forum, a wise life choice. To quote Jean-Paul Sartre; “Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.”

So, if you're successful then why aren't you out there changing the world, making Wall Street quiver with terror instead of posting on the intrawebz?

To quote Confucius, "You is da sucketh".

When I was in my 20s, 30s, and 40s, I was concentrating on developing my career, so that I could retire in the life of luxury, by the timeI was 55 years old. I did it and retired at the age of 54. To each their own, but every day I give thanks for having the wisdom, talents and drive to achieve my goals. For me, life is a blast and I enjoyed it to its fullness. To quote Jackie Gleason; "How sweet it is"

It don't get sweeter than me being mid-forties, stiill have all faculties and banging hot college chicks.

faawrenchbndr
12-14-2012, 18:52
HeJJ, I retired THIS year,......will be 46 in March. :tongueout:
Wanna compare bank accounts ? :whistling:

dakrat
12-14-2012, 18:58
So that I can be a malicious, hateful person like you?

I'd rather die young and leave a sexy corpse.

It don't get sweeter than me being mid-forties, stiill have all faculties and banging hot college chicks.

teh win! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

sawgrass
12-14-2012, 19:15
One thing is clear, there is a lot of knowledge here.

RJ, have a great weekend and don't sweat the small stuff.

Faa enjoy your family and hunting.

FN man, the girls like the bad boys...and so it is.

sawgrass
12-14-2012, 19:58
Looking into my first 1911 purchase. On a tight budget for this one. So, thinking Ati, RIA and if possible sti spartan(longshot). So, the question is about sizes. I know that the fullsize models will be too big for mw to comfortably carry. But the 3-4" models have me thinking. The models that are just over 3" seem to be about the size of the baby glocks, true? And also, what about the grips, does length of the grips vary between manufacturer?

OP, I bought a STI Guardian (4") a few weeks ago and kept it less than a week. The magazine release popped out while I was shooting it. Easy fix but it bugged me. My SO bought a Spartan (5") and it was as rough as a cob. It went back to STI and it took several phone calls to get any feedback as to their intentions. They finally replaced the barrel but it was a PITA.

I have a love/hate relationship with a Colt Defender (3"). If I've been shooting 'quality' 5" 1911's, I hate it. If I've been shooting plastic guns, I love it.

A couple of months ago I got lucky and found an older nearly NIB Springfield Compact (4") that is a great shooter. It's too pretty to carry at this point because I don't want to scratch it.

Based upon my fairly limited knowledge compared to many here, I would suggest the best 5" 1911 that you can afford to become acquainted and a G26 or a G19 or possibly a Springfield XD or XDM for carry.

faawrenchbndr
12-14-2012, 20:10
OP, I bought a STI Guardian (4") a few weeks ago and kept it less than a week. The magazine release popped out while I was shooting it. Easy fix but it bugged me. My SO bought a Spartan (5") and it was as rough as a cob. It went back to STI and it took several phone calls to get any feedback as to their intentions. They finally replaced the barrel but it was a PITA.

I have a love/hate relationship with a Colt Defender (3"). If I've been shooting 'quality' 5" 1911's, I hate it. If I've been shooting plastic guns, I love it.

A couple of months ago I got lucky and found an older nearly NIB Springfield Compact (4") that is a great shooter. It's too pretty to carry at this point because I don't want to scratch it.

Based upon my fairly limited knowledge compared to many here, I would suggest the best 5" 1911 that you can afford to become acquainted and a G26 or a G19 or possibly a Springfield XD or XDM for carry.

Solid advice,........you go Girl!
I'm outta here,......back in a about three weeks. :wavey:

Merry Christmas to all,........even you RJ' :cool:

SilverBullet_83
12-15-2012, 05:16

My main carry is a G27

Magicmanmb
12-15-2012, 15:57
FWIW my wife has qualified w/average of 98/100 every time she has been to requal. 5ft 118lbs, only pistol ever had a problem with was a G30.
Has an XD .45 4in. bbl in her purse now.

My 15 y/o wants a 1911 for CHRISTMAS. Weighs 110 5ft 8 shoots quite well in competition just doesn't
like .357 sig. It is called practice. Merry Christmas to all