Leftys.... RH AR or LH AR? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leftys.... RH AR or LH AR?

awpk03s
12-09-2012, 20:24
For all the southpaws out there... who shoots a lefty AR versus a normal RH AR?

As a lefty using a normal RH AR, any issues with brass ejection?

WoodenPlank
12-09-2012, 20:31
One of my best friends is a dirty leftie, and he runs right hand ARs exclusively. If it's set up correctly, brass ejection shouldn't be an issue, and parts will be MUCH easier to come by. Left hand eject ARs need different uppers and carriers, maybe more than that.

awpk03s
12-09-2012, 20:33
Thanks. I am a lefty, and today run two different Stag LH upper groups. The only differences are the BCG and upper receiver.
Just thinking for my next rifle if I want to go in a different direction or not.

WayaX
12-09-2012, 20:41
In a properly working right hand AR-15, you will not experience any problems running it on the left side. I'm left handed, but I shoot rifles on my right side. If your friend is right eye dominant, I may suggest he/she try the same.

TreyG-20
12-09-2012, 20:49
I'm a lefty and been shooting right handed ARs my whole life. As well as many other right hand eject rifles from.AKs SKS AR-10s. I dont even think ive ever even held a left handed rifle. Never once had an issue. Personally I would just get a right handed one.with ambidextrous safety and bolt release. If you ever resale or trade its much easier to sale also.

vettely
12-09-2012, 21:01
As stated above, just get a normal AR.

mjkeat
12-09-2012, 21:17
I'm southpaw and have always shot orthadox. My son, a lefty, shoots southpaw. After a few burns on the forearm and brass to the face he usually wants to stop shooting. Like most 4 y/o boys he prefers the 10/22.

If I shot lefty and was just over 3 1/2 ft. tall I would probably like a LH model. In your case I'd look into a RH carbine.

flw
12-09-2012, 21:32
My assigned M16 would put cases down my shirt or in my face about every 100 plus rounds or so. Left handed and right eye dominant.

Bow Commander
12-10-2012, 11:43
I am a lefty shooting a right hand AR. I haven't had any problems with 5.56 brass, only with shooting .22 out of it with a conversion bolt. Little explosions of crud fling out and hit my face with each shot.

Needless to say I always wear safety glasses, but I darn near need a full mask.

SuperSport
12-10-2012, 11:51
Lefty that's right eye dominant shooting righty AR.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

MedicOni
12-10-2012, 11:54
I put an ambi safety on my AP AR and called it good. The only weapons I get a special lefty version are the bolt actions I'm looking at ordering. Just because I hate reaching across to work the action

awpk03s
12-10-2012, 12:14
Thanks guys. I'm RH but left eye dominant, and have ALWAYS shot all guns left handed for that reason, also because my dad did it that way.

I got a Spikes Tactical 16" M4 LE upper assembly (RH obviously) for this build, we'll see how it goes. Don't expect any brass issues, but wanted to check.

jimNeb
12-10-2012, 12:42

I'm a lefty who is right eye dominant. I shoot all long guns right handed so it's not an issue for me.

Batesmotel
12-10-2012, 12:45
Right handed, left eyed. Learned to shoot left then right. Now I can shoot both ways. Qualified with the M16-A1 Left handed with no problems. I even shoot right handed flintlocks left handed. Modern guns are no problem once you know the brass flying in front of your face is not going to hurt you.

OhioGlock90
12-10-2012, 12:53
I'm a lefty and when I shoot RH ar's it just feels normal. LH ar's feel weird to me, probably because I picked one up way after shooting RH Ar's. to late to go back now. I do feel like right handed parts will be easier for you to find

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Kloogee
12-10-2012, 17:39
I'm a lefty that shoots a RH gun. I've never had any problems at all with brass.

When I did my CCW shooting course, my instructor had a full auto 1st gen M16 that did not have a brass deflector on it. Needless to say, I had a red mark on my cheek from the hot brass. If I recall my history correctly (I'm sure the pros here will correct me), that is one of the first things the military changed on their first revision of the M16 was to add a brass deflector for their lefties.

JBaird22
12-10-2012, 18:57
I've only ever shot right handed ar's. the brass has never been an issue. I don't even use an ambi safety. I just operate it with my index finger.

mgs
12-11-2012, 06:31

I'm right handed but left eye dominant and shoot either shoulder. No issues here. A regular AR is very Lefty friendly. All my bolt guns are LH and I like it that way.

econjon
12-11-2012, 19:20
I'm a lefty through and through and while I've owned a left handed AR (Stag) there came a time when I needed to sell it and it took probably 3 times longer to offload than if it were right handed.

Since then I've gone with right handed versions and been completely happy with them, have never had brass in the face or anything like that.

Like others have mentioned above though, I'll only do left handed when it comes to bolt action hunting rifles.

Cole125
12-11-2012, 19:29
I am left handed and usually have no issues shooting regular right handed ARs. Sometimes I'll get brass to the cheek when I am shooting low powered cheap ammo like Tulu or Silver Bear but never seems to happen with quality brass case ammo.

My .02 is, stay away from the left hand ARs. For one, Stag is a marginal quality manufacturer to start with, and then add left hand uppers, bolts, extractors, ect to the mix. Spare parts will be a problem.

TangoFoxtrot
12-12-2012, 04:19

Back in the day in the army, I learn to shoot my AR right handed to conform to everyone else....couldn't do it with a pistol.

MstrPara
12-13-2012, 08:40
No issues shooting the M16/M4 as a lefty. I'm now running a ambi CH, and just installed a Badger Ord reverse side selector (not ambi.....the selector on the left side always gets in my way!).

These are the only two additions I'd go with........and honestly, they're more for ease of use than anything else.

RyanNREMTP
12-13-2012, 09:23
Other than the time my right handed AR had the wrong buffer spring in it I haven't had one issue shooting it left handed.

It's up to you.

Galveston Wader
12-13-2012, 09:28
Im a lefty. All my bolt guns and shotguns are left handed, but just got an AR and its right handed. Shouldnt be any problems and I was also thinking about resale value if I ever wanted to get rid if it down the road. Figured it be easier to sell a RH if needed.

glock30user
12-13-2012, 09:30
Lefty with a LH Stag. I love it. I've shot lots of normal rifles and don't have issues with brass, but the gasses from the breech are noticeable. I prefer the left handed version and most accessories are still available.

G23Adam
12-13-2012, 13:50
I'm a lefty, I shoot right handed because of eye dominance and availability of firearms.

I like being able to shoot anything handed to me comfortably and be able to readily find parts without having something to order because it's made mirrored.

Learn to at least be somewhat proficient right handed, as it's important to be ambi if you do go with a backwards firearm.

JimBianchi
12-13-2012, 16:00
I am a lefty and been shooting right handed AR's since JROTC, 1978-ish.

I carried an M16/M4 for 16yrs in AF Security Police, I wouldn't have it any other way.

The few times I have tried a left-handed AR I didn't like it. Felt "wrong" and slowed me down a bit. I even passed a great deal on a lefty DPMS AR-10 last year. Less than a $900 out the door at a reputable gun shop, but I passed. I could not get used to the way it felt.

I have too many years behind me to switch now.

crazymoose
12-13-2012, 16:11
I'm a righty and I have tried shooting LH rifles without an issue. Lots of letfies I know shoot RH rifles without any problems.

Funny thing about LH rifles is that they remind me of video game guns- in a lot of shooter games I've played, the character is right-handed, so the action on an AR or AK will be reversed and put on the left side of the gun, presumably because it's more interesting than just looking at a the real left side of an AK or AR.

flieger67
12-14-2012, 14:26
I'm a left-hander and my first AR was a Stag 2L that I still have. My wife is getting me a DDM4 V5 for Christmas which is right-handed. I do like the ambi safety on the Stag and may end up wanting one for the DDM4 at some point.

In my experience with AR's, I've never had a problem with brass coming back at me. The only issue I ever had with an "AR" was a .45 ACP MGI Hydra that my wife used to have. Depending on ammo in the MGI, I'd sometimes get a little powder blown back in my face.

USSOCOM
12-15-2012, 11:21
Lefty shooting all right hand here.