AR-15 Americas Rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Americas Rifle?

Happypuppy
12-10-2012, 12:13
Do you think it is time to crown the AR-15 officially Americas Rifle?
It is now the most popular rifle in the USA . A lot of the attributes that allow the 1911 to be called Americas handgun hold true.

Long History of use, starting with the 10 in '58.
customizable
Very popular , many makers of them

Jams easily ( a cheap shot but cleaning and service is a must on both)

What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bren
12-10-2012, 12:22
Hard to say. There are plenty of other claims for something I'd call "America's Rifle" - Winchester 94, M1 Garand, Remington 700, Winchester 70, etc.

collim1
12-10-2012, 14:42
I think it'd take a few more years to call it "America's Rifle". The AR has only been mainstream a few years.

IMO the Garand is the reason we're not speaking German right now with Japanese navy ships patrolling the waters off the west coast.

eb07
12-10-2012, 15:03
My vote is for the Garand or .06 bolt action model 70

faawrenchbndr
12-10-2012, 15:08
There are soooooo many possibles.

bigmoney890
12-10-2012, 15:20
IMO the Garand is the reason we're not speaking German right now with Japanese navy ships patrolling the waters off the west coast.

Let's not forget about the Atomic bombs, that's the reason Japanese ships aren't patrolling the water off the west coast.

To the OP, I think it's got just as good of a claim to be "America's Rifle" as any other rifle mentioned. Doubt it'll be coined "America's Rifle" if the media gets wind of it :rofl:

fnfalman
12-10-2012, 15:24
Well, hell, it's been on active duty long enough.

3RASER
12-10-2012, 15:38
I think it'd take a few more years to call it "America's Rifle". The AR has only been mainstream a few years.

I would vote Garand for America's rifle, and the 1911 America's pistol. JMHO

collim1
12-10-2012, 16:27
Let's not forget about the Atomic bombs, that's the reason Japanese ships aren't patrolling the water off the west coast.

To the OP, I think it's got just as good of a claim to be "America's Rifle" as any other rifle mentioned. Doubt it'll be coined "America's Rifle" if the media gets wind of it :rofl:

Well, there are other forums where we could debate that Hitler lost the war more than we won it:supergrin:

The Garand was a distinct improvement over the bolt action rifles that our enemies issued, and when you think WW2 you picture an American soldier holding a Garand.

mjkeat
12-10-2012, 16:51
Do you think it is time to crown the AR-15 officially Americas Rifle?
It is now the most popular rifle in the USA . A lot of the attributes that allow the 1911 to be called Americas handgun hold true.

Long History of use, starting with the 10 in '58.
customizable
Very popular , many makers of them

Jams easily ( a cheap shot but cleaning and service is a must on both)

What do you think?

First we need to deal w/ the misconceptions portrayed by those not knowledgeable w/ the platform.

What is a "jam?" A yummy sandwich spread? I like strawberry.

If you mean malfunctions easily you are wrong. There are countless tests and accounts of ARs going well into the tens of thousands of rounds w/o cleaning. I personally put a few thousand through mine w/o cleaning or any issues.

tango44
12-10-2012, 16:55
Another vote for the M1 Garand.

cesaros
12-10-2012, 16:57
Don't think that the AR-15 being the popular 'flavor of the month (or decade)' would make it "americas rifle.

But if something else never comes along, it's probably on its way to having that as an unofficial title among small groups.

I vote for the M1...the rifle that actually won a war. The M4/AR15 is only holding stagnant in a "conflict".

smokin762
12-10-2012, 17:05
A person can find an AR type rifle in any LGS and even Wal-Mart’s. They seem to be today’s most common firearm. On that note, I would say its America’s Rifle.

Happypuppy
12-10-2012, 17:13
I say it's Americas Rife based on life and popularity. The 1903 was pretty much just used for training by the time WWII rolled around. The Garand lasted until Korea and by the end of that War it was superseded by the M14. The first Armerlite Stoner Family out in 1956-58 and since the Mid 60's we have had variants of it use

The longest modern rifle? I was surprised to see the little .30 Carbine in use from 1942 until the end of Vietnam.

Cole125
12-10-2012, 18:22
My vote is for the Garand or .06 bolt action model 70

I agree. ARs are no doubt very popular, but calling it Americas rifle is a stretch.

humanguerrilla
12-10-2012, 18:39
Gets my vote for Americas Rifle.

Mozambique's flag gets the AK. So does the coat of arms of Zimbabwe, East Timor, Hezbollah, and the Iranian IRGC.

We have the opportunity when Puerto Rico becomes a state to add the Ar15 to our flag. If not us then who? + A ton of fancy accessories and a can.

John Biltz
12-11-2012, 01:30
The M1 was in active service for about a third of the time that the AR has been in service, so far. It was adopted as the main rifle in 1969 and had been in wide use before then. Its been nearly 44 years since then. Might as well say the Kentucky Long Rifle as the M1 in my opinion.

Don't think that the AR-15 being the popular 'flavor of the month (or decade)' would make it "americas rifle.

But if something else never comes along, it's probably on its way to having that as an unofficial title among small groups.

I vote for the M1...the rifle that actually won a war. The M4/AR15 is only holding stagnant in a "conflict".

Big Bird
12-11-2012, 04:17
M1 Garand had a brief (about a dozen years really) but very distinguished service record.

The M16 has been the primary infantry service weapon for over 50 years! So yeah its got the chops to be called Americas Rifle. And WAY more civilians own/shoot/compete with ARs than own Garands. That's not even close.

The Kentucky rifle comment is interesting but it was never an issued military arm and it actually had fairly brief run as well. What is generally considered a Kentucky rifle were made from about the mid 1770's until about the early 1800's until the caplock came into vogue and by then most of the "west" (up to the Missouri river) had been settled and the need for the long rifle waned. There were also several different regional schools of gunmakers that produced KY rifles but no standard caliber ever existed. They were all pretty much custom built flintlocks. Besides, we fought wars back then with smooth bore militia muskets and we beat the British by squaring off on a battlefield with formed infantry shooting smooth bore Brown Bess and Charleyville Muskets. Not by sniping at them from behind trees as legend would have it.

Probably the gun with the longest service record in the Americas would be the Brown Bess...versions of which were carried by local militia and standing Armies for over 150 years--both before and after the Revolution of course.

cesaros
12-11-2012, 04:23
The M1 was in active service for about a third of the time that the AR has been in service, so far. It was adopted as the main rifle in 1969 and had been in wide use before then. Its been nearly 44 years since then. Might as well say the Kentucky Long Rifle as the M1 in my opinion.

note I never said I liked the M1 because of its service life..:whistling:

Bren
12-11-2012, 04:32
First we need to deal w/ the misconceptions portrayed by those not knowledgeable w/ the platform.

If you mean malfunctions easily you are wrong.

Jam is a common short term for "malfunction" used by people who shoot guns, instead of reading about them. Your response, on the other hand, is about like those guys who correct everybody at the gun shop on "clip" vs. "magazine" and then don't realize that the more experienced shooters are laughing at them for being a newb.

Travclem
12-11-2012, 05:57
Jam is a common short term for "malfunction" used by people who shoot guns, instead of reading about them. Your response, on the other hand, is about like those guys who correct everybody at the gun shop on "clip" vs. "magazine" and then don't realize that the more experienced shooters are laughing at them for being a newb.
Nevertheless, the OP is misinformed on the reliability of the platform.

mgs
12-11-2012, 06:42
I would say the AR is Americas Rifle as the AK47 is the Eastern Blocks Rifle. The AR is not pretty but can be made to do it all very well from 458 Socom to 5.56......supersonic and subsonic.....all with one receiver that can be changed in a moment. Never was a fan of the 94. I'll take a 99 Savage in 300 anyday.

RyanNREMTP
12-11-2012, 07:05
What? And make the price go up?

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

Happypuppy
12-11-2012, 08:19

If you mean malfunctions easily you are wrong. There are countless tests and accounts of ARs going well into the tens of thousands of rounds w/o cleaning. I personally put a few thousand through mine w/o cleaning or any issues.

I didn't really want to comment about this but I guess I will. Perhaps it is a generation thing. Jam was used during the Vietnam era...yes by the military as well at least when I was in the service.

The Issue I am referring to was due to the use of incorrect powder during manufacturing. The case would be come stuck or jam ..or malfunction as some insist on calling it. I am looking at my original 1969 copy of the famous Will Eisner comic printed and distributed by the the Military at that time.

On page 5 the title is " What to do in a Jam". It was a word used and in common use at the time

Perhaps before implying people are stupid, you take into considerations that times and words used do change over time. As I get older I don't always stay current with language change over time

LL6
12-11-2012, 08:50
I used to have a German wife. I would infuriate her with made up words. Auf Deutsch a traffic jam is a Stau. I used to use a silly direct translation of Vehrker Marmelade for traffic jam. The look I'd get from her would be priceless. :rofl:
The current gf is also German but she understands my humor. Thankfully she isn't so anal retentive.

The point of all this is there are some people on here who remind me of my ex.:whistling:

mjkeat
12-11-2012, 10:29

Cool. I like the assumptions you make considering you have no idea or way of knowing my firearms/shooting background. "Jam" is a commonly used term by those that claim, "I've been shooting at the farm since before you were born," then shoot like crap and get pissed when a person half their age corrects their technique and out-shoots them w/ the firearm they've been shooting since before I was born. Which I wouldn't normally care about but for the fact of their attitude.

The "jam" thing is more of a joke for me anyway. What I'm really concerned w/ and not at all surprised you ignored (because you know I'm correct) while replying to my post is the "jams easily" statement.

It's funny that you concentrate on the "jam" joke instead of the real meat and patatoes of my post. Also a common reply by those older when someone younger is more versed in a subject. They concentrate on the abstract instead of the core substance. I never understood the age thing myself. I personally don't care where the information comes from as long as it's correct.

"Jams easily" is a very common mistake made by those that have little to no knowleadge of or experience w/ the M16/M4/AR family. The AR is a highly reliable and has been proven so time and time again. From big companies to the individual on their private range.

"Newb," now I'm laughing.

I didn't really want to comment about this but I guess I will. Perhaps it is a generation thing. Jam was used during the Vietnam era...yes by the military as well at least when I was in the service.

The Issue I am referring to was due to the use of incorrect powder during manufacturing. The case would be come stuck or jam ..or malfunction as some insist on calling it. I am looking at my original 1969 copy of the famous Will Eisner comic printed and distributed by the the Military at that time.

On page 5 the title is " What to do in a Jam". It was a word used and in common use at the time

Perhaps before implying people are stupid, you take into considerations that times and words used do change over time. As I get older I don't always stay current with language change over time

Once again you're concentrating on the "jam" comment which in all reality is a joke. I have made the joke in earlier posts. Usually toward those who make posts like you're original in this thread.

And again lets stick to the heart of my post which seems to have been ignored.

Stop spreading BS misconceptions about the reliability of the platform. You claim not to be current on things. This is another one of those things. When the weapon system was first fielding, a long long time ago. Basing your ideals on such a small sliver of time in the infancy of the platform isn't doing yourself any favors.

I never implied you were stupid. I'm not the type to imply such things.

Simply put, stop spreading misinformation.

Diesel McBadass
12-12-2012, 07:49
Well id say the ar-15 is americas rifle, its in very gunstore, millions of safes and theres tons of accessories for it everywhere, used in more american wars than any other rifle, and world famous.

RyanNREMTP
12-12-2012, 09:06
Is it soda or pop?

Travclem
12-12-2012, 09:10
Coke.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

mjkeat
12-12-2012, 11:16
Pepsi!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Travclem
12-12-2012, 12:25
Pepsi is a coke too around here.

WarEagle32
12-12-2012, 16:23
It's is definitely America's Rifle now. The M1 is the only other that even has an argument, but even though it is a great rifle the point being today's American Rifle is definitely the AR15. It is the best selling rifle in the US now and has been for several years. And that is going to continue for years to come. I have 4 AR style rifles and only M1. I think they should just change what AR stands for to American Rifle, because we are basically the only country where you can walk into any gun store and walk right out with a fine American made, designed, and sold AR rifle which is as American as apple Pie!!!

TangoFoxtrot
12-13-2012, 04:38
The AR-15 is "one" of America' favorite rifles.

LL6
12-13-2012, 04:53
Pepsi is a coke too around here.

I seem tp remember they did that in San Antonio too. In '86 was TDY for a few weeks for the Army's Dust Off course and anything soda was a coke.:rofl: