What barrel do you reccomend? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What barrel do you reccomend?

03scgt
12-10-2012, 15:50
I'm preferably looking for a midlength 16" to finish my build.its just going to be a gun to have some fun at the range,I'll never do a course with it and to be honest it might see 1k rounds a year If it's lucky.

Chrome lined isn't a deal breaker.I don't really want to spend 450$ on a noveske when I'm obviously never going to use it to its potential. I'd like a good bang for the buck and something in stock would be a bonus lol

Thanks Anthony

WoodenPlank
12-10-2012, 16:42
Do you want an A-frame front sight or a low profile gas block? If the latter, BCM 16" middy stripped barrels are about 230, or 300 for hammer forged. Even the standard barrel should last well beyond 10K rounds.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

03scgt
12-10-2012, 17:04
I've already got a low profile gas block and planned on mounting my mbus to the flattop and the handguard rails.I really wanted to stay away from the aframe front sorry for not including that

I diddnt think bcm had much of anything in stock I'll go check it out

WoodenPlank
12-10-2012, 17:08
I've already got a low profile gas block and planned on mounting my mbus to the flattop and the handguard rails.I really wanted to stay away from the aframe front sorry for not including that

I diddnt think bcm had much of anything in stock I'll go check it out

Both barrels I mentioned are listed as in stock, as are the lightweight versions.

Edit to add: did you get a set screw style gas block or clamp on?

03scgt
12-10-2012, 17:23
Both barrels I mentioned are listed as in stock, as are the lightweight versions.

Edit to add: did you get a set screw style gas block or clamp on?

Yeah I just went and checked And they have them both

I bought the yhm low pro with set screws

Cole125
12-10-2012, 18:24
I would suggest getting your gas block pinned, ADCO does it pretty cheap. I've had one "walk" out of alignment and caused my rifle to short stroke.

Mayhem like Me
12-10-2012, 19:12
I also like the DD medium contour and the DD government contour CHF and chrome lined great quality.. My latest build is the Gov contour.

Mayhem like Me
12-10-2012, 19:17
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=479

Hmmmm Have ADCO pin on a muzzle device as well a great barrel and in stock

03scgt
12-10-2012, 19:22
I would suggest getting your gas block pinned, ADCO does it pretty cheap. I've had one "walk" out of alignment and caused my rifle to short stroke.

Thanks I'm actually going to take it and have the barrel setup done by a gunsmith.I wanted to buy everything to get a good idea how everything works and get it my way.However I'm not comfortable with doing the gas block and the barrel nut at this point.the concept is easy and I get it but I'd rather have it done with none of that oops factor

I also like the DD medium contour and the DD government contour CHF and chrome lined great quality.. My latest build is the Gov contour.

I've looked at the dd,bcm,spikes and some of the ones on midway.I think I'm leaning towards bcm at this point because I already have their BCG

Mayhem like Me
12-10-2012, 19:29
Thanks I'm actually going to take it and have the barrel setup done by a gunsmith.I wanted to buy everything to get a good idea how everything works and get it my way.However I'm not comfortable with doing the gas block and the barrel nut at this point.the concept is easy and I get it but I'd rather have it done with none of that oops factor

I've looked at the dd,bcm,spikes and some of the ones on midway.I think I'm leaning towards bcm at this point because I already have their BCG
Can't go wrong with either both are great..I have a sbr with a bcm barrel.

WoodenPlank
12-10-2012, 19:30
Yeah I just went and checked And they have them both

I bought the yhm low pro with set screws

Same gas block I use on my Mk. 18, actually

With a set-screw gas block, you can dimple the barrel under one or both set screws, then secure both with red lock-tite. The dimples will keep the block from walking off, and the lock-tite will make it very unlikely the screws will work loose.

I'd definitely go BCM. The barrel nut is easy with the right bench setup and tools. Dimpling the barrel for the gas block requires a drill press and a little know-how, though. Nothing wrong with having someone like ADCO do a dimple job or even pin that YHM block for you.

03scgt
12-10-2012, 19:30
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=479

Hmmmm Have ADCO pin on a muzzle device as well a great barrel and in stock

That seems like it would be making it Alot more complicated than I need it to be.I understand the rifle was designed around that length barrel but that way is probably 1-120$ more expensive than a similar bcm barrel setup would be and more shipping involved.if I were to get the muzzle break pinned wouldn't I need to send them my receiver to have them install the barrel and gas setup? I'm fairly certain my gas block wouldn't fit over the muzzle break I choose to have pinned

WoodenPlank
12-10-2012, 19:33
That seems like it would be making it Alot more complicated than I need it to be.I understand the rifle was designed around that length barrel but that way is probably 1-120$ more expensive than a similar bcm barrel setup would be and more shipping involved.if I were to get the muzzle break pinned wouldn't I need to send them my receiver to have them install the barrel and gas setup? I'm fairly certain my gas block wouldn't fit over the muzzle break I choose to have pinned

Yes, ADCO would have to have the entire upper to do the pinned flash hider. I do not suggest pinned 14.5/14.7" barrels for AR newbies, honestly, as it makes it too much headache to change anything if you change your mind later.

PVolk
12-11-2012, 15:24
03scgt - Here's another option. Spikes/FN, chrome-lined, hammer forged, and currently in stock.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-fn-cold-hammer-forged-16-midlength-barrel-556-p-830.html

I've had one "walk" out of alignment and caused my rifle to short stroke.
Was it a clamped block or one with set screws? If set screws, were they locktited?