flip up sights?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : flip up sights??

*ASH*
12-10-2012, 21:15
grrrrrr i had no damn idea these were so expensive . seems i will need a rear flip down to put on swing gate magnifer :whistling:

might just chunk that idea , dont want to 60 to 200 on a damn rear sight . geex

WoodenPlank
12-10-2012, 21:17
$50 or so for an MBUS is always a good option. If your main optic goes TU (and it definitely can happen) then having backups is going to save some headaches. I'm more partial to the Troy sights due to their lower profile, but $100-120 is a little harder to swallow. I use Troy front and rear on my Mk. 18 and an MBUS rear on my 16" middy.

Happypuppy
12-10-2012, 21:35
I picked up these and I am very happy with them. I like the idea of a quick flip and you are back in action
Amazon.com: GDT AR15 AR 15 Front and Rear 45 Degree Rapid Transition BUIS Backup Iron Sight: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31oPrVDIl5L.@@AMEPARAM@@31oPrVDIl5L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

USMCsilver
12-10-2012, 21:39
I picked up these and I am very happy with them. I like the idea of a quick flip and you are back in action
Amazon.com: GDT AR15 AR 15 Front and Rear 45 Degree Rapid Transition BUIS Backup Iron Sight: Sports & [email]Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Front-Degree-Rapid-Transition-Backup/dp/B006X9DLQM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1D740KUILI9OY&coliid=I1IL88EHFVG42Q)

$180 off?

That's one helluva sale!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Happypuppy
12-10-2012, 21:54
$180 off?

That's one helluva sale!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

The quality will blow you away. I could not believe them

collim1
12-10-2012, 22:08
The MBUS sights run $50 each at shops in my area. They have a good reputation. I run a carry handle sight, but if I went optics, the MBUS rear sight is what I would use.

Looks like the best bang for the buck.

nipperwolf
12-11-2012, 03:38
grrrrrr i had no damn idea these were so expensive . seems i will need a rear flip down to put on swing gate magnifer :whistling:

:upeyes: :rofl:

Seriously??????

Coming from the guy that just bought a Daniel Defense rifle???

Reminds me of the posts on the photography forums where someone buys a nice $2000 DLSR body, and wants save $20 buy buying a cheap no name battery on ebay. ;)

boomhower
12-11-2012, 05:32
For a back-up the MBUS would serve just fine. Look around the classifieds on the various websites and you can likely find one for a song.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 05:32

Sights are one of the more important parts on a rifle.
Would you put $40 bias ply tires on a Ferrari? :dunno:

WayaX
12-11-2012, 10:43

Nailed it.

I would take the money you would spend on a magnifier and flip mount and put it toward a fixed BUIS. I've never found a need for a magnifier on a red dot. They've fallen out of favor with most shooters for a reason.

arushus
12-11-2012, 11:28
Suck it up and buy a rear sight from magpul. Just make sure you dont buy the PTS version. Im looking to change the color scheme on my AR...I have an OD green mbus that I would sell if you wanted it.

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 12:18
Suck it up and buy a rear sight from magpul. Just make sure you dont buy the PTS version. Im looking to change the color scheme on my AR...I have an OD green mbus that I would sell if you wanted it.

yeah shoot me a pm id be interested . :wavey:

and to others , no im not looking to put a set of airsoft sights on a DD . that would be BLASPHEMY !~~~~~~:rofl::rofl:

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 12:19

id never own a ferrari , but if i did the only thing i would put on it is a for sale sign :rofl:

CarryTexas
12-11-2012, 12:24
This is the BUIS I have on my ARs. At $120 it's a bit expensive, but a very high quality and low profile sight.

A.R.M.S #40L (http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]40L)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0IR-jJi1kQY/UMeHnpLX74I/AAAAAAAABCM/g0FbKAve72w/s800/ARMS_40L.jpg

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 14:16
another question , im very new to AR 15 , learning stuff ,

my DD V3 has a staked from sight , and i have an aimpoint pro red dot sight .

can i use the rear site only or will i need to use both front and back sights ? and will it co witness with the aimpoint ??

and how hard is it to remove pinned front factory sight

boomhower
12-11-2012, 14:30
another question , im very new to AR 15 , learning stuff ,

my DD V3 has a staked from sight , and i have an aimpoint pro red dot sight .

can i use the rear site only or will i need to use both front and back sights ? and will it co witness with the aimpoint ??

and how hard is it to remove pinned front factory sight

Your rifles brother wears an Aimpoint Pro. I like having both fixed sites. If the Aimpoint goes down for whatever reason the fixed irons are there. It doesn't impede your ability to use the red dot at all. After a while you don't even notice they are there. The stock mount it comes with will give a cowitness in between absolute and 1/3. I eventually replaced it with QD ADM lower 1/3 mount.

Do not remove the front site. It's the most secure thing you'll ever have on the rifle. If down the line you want a longer rail and flip-up front sight just shave the front site and make a gas block out of it.(I'm liking the Troy Alpha rail so far and considering it has a built in front site the value is pretty good too)

CigarandScotch
12-11-2012, 14:34
+1 for the MBUS. I love mine, and I would buy again.

nipperwolf
12-11-2012, 18:38
:upeyes: :rofl:

Seriously??????

Coming from the guy that just bought a Daniel Defense rifle???

Reminds me of the posts on the photography forums where someone buys a nice $2000 DLSR body, and wants save $20 buy buying a cheap no name battery on ebay. ;)

yeah shoot me a pm

This is an entertaining thread. Again, you spend some serious $ on a high quality AR, but want to skimp on sights for it.

:rofl: :rofl:

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 21:01
Your rifles brother wears an Aimpoint Pro. I like having both fixed sites. If the Aimpoint goes down for whatever reason the fixed irons are there. It doesn't impede your ability to use the red dot at all. After a while you don't even notice they are there. The stock mount it comes with will give a cowitness in between absolute and 1/3. I eventually replaced it with QD ADM lower 1/3 mount.

Do not remove the front site. It's the most secure thing you'll ever have on the rifle. If down the line you want a longer rail and flip-up front sight just shave the front site and make a gas block out of it.(I'm liking the Troy Alpha rail so far and considering it has a built in front site the value is pretty good too)

ahaa ok good read .

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 21:06
I run an Aimpoint and prefer a Troy flip up rear. I run it in the
lowered position. If you are in the middle of a conflict with a
paper assailant and your Aimpoint goes down, simply place the
front sight pin in the center of the Aimpoint's objective. When
time is available, pop up the rear sight, and continue fighting
the wood pulp mafia!

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 21:06
This is an entertaining thread. Again, you spend some serious $ on a high quality AR, but want to skimp on sights for it.

:rofl: :rofl:

seriously bro go piss up a rope or something . you keep spouting off bull **** . im not or ever said i was gonna buy some airsoft or homemade sights so get over it . or go start your own thread

i was looking for options and other ideas . not a clown imposter

also is your name nipprdog on another forum ??

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 21:08
I run an Aimpoint and prefer a Troy flip up rear. I run it in the
lowered position. If you are in the middle of a conflict with a
paper assailant and your Aimpoint goes down, simply place the
front sight pin in the center of the Aimpoint's objective. When
time is available, pop up the rear sight, and continue fighting
the wood pulp mafia!

:rofl::rofl: yeah im looking at some troy ones right now lol

camelotkid
12-11-2012, 21:16
This is the BUIS I have on my ARs. At $120 it's a bit expensive, but a very high quality and low profile sight.

A.R.M.S #40L (http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]40L)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0IR-jJi1kQY/UMeHnpLX74I/AAAAAAAABCM/g0FbKAve72w/s800/ARMS_40L.jpg
I'm looking at these real hard also their polymer version the #71

Warp
12-11-2012, 21:25
I had a Magpul MBUS I got for <$50. I liked it.

I now have a Troy folding rear battlesite that I got for $80 on Black Friday. I like it more. I gave the MBUS to my dad.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 21:29
A lot of people like ARMS, I for one, do not care for their products.

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 21:36
I'm looking at these real hard also their polymer version the #71

are they low profile like the magpuls ?? looks interesting

camelotkid
12-11-2012, 21:38
A lot of people like ARMS, I for one, do not care for their products.
GT has been the only place where I have run in to people who did not like them. Can't really find anything on google about them failing. Something about some lawsuit or something? I don't know I haven't seen any in person but just looking at them compared to everything else available I am pretty impressed. Pretty much a toss up between them and Troy at this time for me anyways.

camelotkid
12-11-2012, 21:39
are they low profile like the magpuls ?? looks interesting
they look lower profile than the magpuls to me, I had magpuls on my bushmaster they worked fine but were a little chunky

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 21:40
Just an over complicated design.......Troy works for me.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/a3027b2e251b8bf00a23b8007c248f4a.jpg

camelotkid
12-11-2012, 21:44
Just an over complicated design.......Troy works for me.

do you mean the #41B that folds up to look like a fixed front sight? If so I completely agree but Im not interested in that one. Their #40 series functions similar to troy flip ups but are spring loaded which is kind of cool.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 21:55
Yes, an over complicated latch mechanism, the spring loaded sight's
release can get bumped and deploy the sight easily.

*ASH*
12-11-2012, 22:07
meh i just ordered magpul gen2 back sight .

i was looking at those A.R.M.S ones , and bad reviews on youtube . so i will just go with the flow .

also on other forums ive read some bad things about the owner of troy .

damn im hungry lol , finally drank all that nasty prep . im empty :rofl::rofl:

and cant sleep , grrr wife snoring and gotta be at hospital at 8 am

camelotkid
12-12-2012, 19:49
I just ordered a set of YHM QDS sights from primary arms

crazymoose
12-13-2012, 16:13
For a back-up the MBUS would serve just fine. Look around the classifieds on the various websites and you can likely find one for a song.

They aren't too bad as primary sights, either. Durability wise, they outperformed Troys and one or two others in a drop test.

SPIN2010
12-13-2012, 16:38
A set of these just showed up on the porch. :supergrin:

http://www.laruetactical.com/dd-rapid-transition-sight-set-surefire

Can't wait to get them sighted in!

boomhower
12-13-2012, 16:50
They aren't too bad as primary sights, either. Durability wise, they outperformed Troys and one or two others in a drop test.

Two things. One, if you using irons as primaries it makes no sense to use folding sights. Get sturdy fixed sights and be done with it. Second, a single drop test is hardly conclusive. When a gun falls it could land on an almost infinite number of different places with the sight hits the ground. I am not saying the MBUS's are weak or unreliable. Like all of Magpuls other gear it's quality gear at relatively dirt cheap prices. But, going around and saying they are superior to Troy's and other quality sights based on a single unscientific test is a stretch.

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 17:52
A set of these just showed up on the porch. :supergrin:

http://www.laruetactical.com/dd-rapid-transition-sight-set-surefire

Can't wait to get them sighted in!

Sweet,.........