Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay

snerd
12-11-2012, 11:55
Scientists may have finally solved the puzzle of what makes a person gay, and how it is passed from parents to their children.

A group of scientists suggested Tuesday (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-12/nifm-sfe120612.php) that homosexuals get that trait from their opposite-sex parents: A lesbian will almost always get the trait from her father, while a gay man will get the trait from his mother...................
http://www-origin.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/12/11/scientists-may-have-finally-unlocked-puzzle-of-why-people-are-gay

Much more at link.

cowboy1964
12-11-2012, 14:16
I predict a lot of "it's a choice" people aren't going to want to hear this.

beforeobamabans
12-11-2012, 14:18
Sin???

barbedwiresmile
12-11-2012, 14:22
Why so much interest on PI in the gayness? (serious question)

countrygun
12-11-2012, 14:24

Maybe because "Same-sex marriage" is a political issue?

smokin762
12-11-2012, 14:32
Does this mean that doctors in the future will be able to test for this gene and stop it from developing in the fetus?

That would be real interesting. I would bet a group would want to take that to the Supreme Court.

Skyhook
12-11-2012, 16:06
Ah, yes-s-s-s, those darned 'epi-marks'...

"We've found a story that looks really good," he says. "There's more verification needed, but we point out how we can easily do epigenetic profiles genome-wide. We predict where the epi-marks occur, we just need other studies to look at it empirically. This can be tested and proven within six months. It's easy to test. If it's a bad idea, we can throw it away in short order."

TK-421
12-11-2012, 16:35
Does this mean that doctors in the future will be able to test for this gene and stop it from developing in the fetus?

That would be real interesting. I would bet a group would want to take that to the Supreme Court.

The story says it's not genetic, it's epigenetic. It's not a gene that does it, but something controlling how a gene is expressed, according to the story.

Scientists from the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis say homosexuality seems to have an epigenetic, not a genetic link.

a group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuality is linked to epi-marks extra layers of information that control how certain genes are expressed.

Drjones
12-11-2012, 19:29

I have a very few gay friends that I love like brothers.

However, the leaders of their movement are as insidious and evil as Stalin or Mao.

Hence my interest.

Drjones
12-11-2012, 19:32

Could you even imagine the uproar over selectively aborting black or gay fetuses?

HexHead
12-11-2012, 19:59

Then I would support abortion.

certifiedfunds
12-11-2012, 21:20
I'm really glad I don't have those particular epi-marks. I'd imagine at some point they contribute to skid-marks.

Skyhook
12-12-2012, 06:24
The story says it's not genetic, it's epigenetic. It's not a gene that does it, but something controlling how a gene is expressed, according to the story.

It's a blinkin' MYSTERY!

I guess there could be thought waves emanating from a dark star planet on the other side of the sun... recordings, of course, since the population would have vanished long ago..:whistling:

LAWDOGKMS
12-12-2012, 06:55

Why so quickly defensive?:upeyes:

pugman
12-12-2012, 07:01
Let me make sure I understand this....

You have scientists studying why people are gay which leads to two consenting adults doing whatever in the confines of their bedroom?

Thank god they aren't concentrating on something important like say...Alzheimer's, AIDS, cancer, MS, CP, Lou Gehrig's....

UtahGlocker
12-12-2012, 10:14

You have scientists studying why people are gay which leads to two consenting adults doing whatever in the confines of their bedroom?

Thank god they aren't concentrating on something important like say...Alzheimer's, AIDS, cancer, MS, CP, Lou Gehrig's....

Scientists study a wide range of topics. That doesn't mean that trying to come up with a cure for the diseases you mentioned isn't being pursued. Sometimes findings in these seemingly unrelated areas lead to breakthroughs in other important research.

Skyhook
12-12-2012, 10:25

Excellent point.

Although, we must make room in the lab for those of puff distinction wishing to gain notoriety. Getting some degree or another in 'science' cannot rule out membership in the Rumpranger Benevolent Society (RBS).

certifiedfunds
12-12-2012, 10:50
I'm really glad I don't have those particular epi-marks. I'd imagine at some point they contribute to skid-marks.

Ok. I thought this was really funny...............

pugman
12-12-2012, 11:20
Scientists study a wide range of topics. That doesn't mean that trying to come up with a cure for the diseases you mentioned isn't being pursued. Sometimes findings in these seemingly unrelated areas lead to breakthroughs in other important research.

I completely agree.

But there is a difference between unrelated areas...and unimportant ones.

When the day comes where the human race has completely mapped out DNA and want to look into this type of stuff great.

And remember...if they are trying to find out why people are gay the next step is stamping it out. If an accountant can come to this conclusion in 30 seconds you know damn well its on their list...

snerd
12-12-2012, 12:19
Ok. I thought this was really funny...............
I was trying not to laugh, but you just had to push it, didn't ya?!

Guss
12-12-2012, 14:41
http://www-origin.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/12/11/scientists-may-have-finally-unlocked-puzzle-of-why-people-are-gay

Much more at link.
So Dick Cheney was...

TK-421
12-12-2012, 15:12

There are thousands of scientists in the world who are researching all sorts of things. It's not like every single scientists suddenly stopped researching whatever they were researching to start researching why people are gay. It's just that the people who are researching why people are gay have a new hypothesis and shared it.

Lets say researchers have found a cure for AIDS, would you suddenly complain that they should've found a cure for Cancer first, even though they weren't researching Cancer?

Please, try and comprehend the fact that not everybody is doing the exact same thing, and things won't be discovered in the order you want them to be discovered. I know it must be hard for you to realize this, but there is more than one group of people who are researching stuff. And there are multiple things being researched at any given time.