mid length s carbine with extended rail [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : mid length s carbine with extended rail

Diesel McBadass
12-11-2012, 14:11
trying to decide what i will get built for my ar15 when i do, I have handled the daniel rail with fsb cut and love it, gives needed length (cabines too short, especially if adding lights or other gear.) I like being able to run a light at 1200. Then theres mid length, its long enough, supposedly shoots softer (ar15s kick hard? lol) and can still mount a bayonet for some cool factor. What have you all had luck with?

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 15:10
The mid length is a tad smoother. My fav right now is an A1 upper,
light weight barrel, with carbine gas system. Super light, super quick.

PVolk
12-11-2012, 15:43
I prefer mid-length gas with a heavy buffer.

AR's don't recoil heavy by any means, but less is good. Less recoil means easier to stay on target for follow up shots, and mid-length recoils noticably less than carbine-length.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 16:12
A mid length recoils about 15-20% less than a carbine.
If buying a new upper, a mid-length is desirable. But I wouldn't
sell or reconfigure a carbine.

Diesel McBadass
12-11-2012, 22:25
i love the looks of an extended rail carbine and seems very capable but it seems a mid length may make a little more sense. Decisions, decisions.

M&P15T
12-12-2012, 04:58
i love the looks of an extended rail carbine and seems very capable but it seems a mid length may make a little more sense. Decisions, decisions.

I'm getting the impression that you have some terminology confused.

Carbine and mid-length are not sizes of rails, but sizes (lengths, point of gas-port drilling) of gas systems on ARs. The DD with the long rail and exposed FSB is the BM4V1, which uses a carbine length gas-system, but a long, free-floated rail system.

So, you can get a mid-length gas system, and also have a very long quad-rail for mounting stuff wherever you like. Plus, mounting a bayonet does not hinge on what length gas system you use, but your choice in rail systems can definitely affect that.

boomhower
12-12-2012, 06:01
For a 14.5 or 16 barrel midlength is preferable. The gas system has nothing to do with the rail. As mentioned rail systems are out there that go around the FSP. Or you can use a gas block and have a plain long rail with a quality fixed site like a DD. If you really want to mount a bayonet it is something you need to plan around but I'd think hard if it's something you really want to have before you limit your options.

Travclem
12-12-2012, 06:32
RRA carbine with a DD 14.0 Lite Rail and DD lowpro GB.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/travclem/afbf2116.jpg

Diesel McBadass
12-12-2012, 08:36
I'm getting the impression that you have some terminology confused.

Carbine and mid-length are not sizes of rails, but sizes (lengths, point of gas-port drilling) of gas systems on ARs. The DD with the long rail and exposed FSB is the BM4V1, which uses a carbine length gas-system, but a long, free-floated rail system.

So, you can get a mid-length gas system, and also have a very long quad-rail for mounting stuff wherever you like. Plus, mounting a bayonet does not hinge on what length gas system you use, but your choice in rail systems can definitely affect that.

I should have added that i want a front sight post. Makes a little more sense. Thing with carbine gas systems is i only have 7 inches of handguard to grab onto. Mid length i get 9. Carbine extended is 12 but the very front would probably just be where i run a light or mount a bipod if necessary

M&P15T
12-12-2012, 08:56
I should have added that i want a front sight post. Makes a little more sense. Thing with carbine gas systems is i only have 7 inches of handguard to grab onto. Mid length i get 9. Carbine extended is 12 but the very front would probably just be where i run a light or mount a bipod if necessary

Yeah, if you want a FSB, you're probably best to not worry about the gas system length, and go with the DDM4V1 rail system/upper.

Of course you could get a BCM mid-length with 9" of rail (as you already know), but if you want to have a mid-length gas-system, and a rail longer than 9", you will probably have to lose the FSB......I think.

You might want to look on Daniel Defense's web-site and.....hold it.....found it.
DD 12" rail for a mid-length gas-system w/FSB.
https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/m4-railtm-12-0-fspm-mid-length.html
https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/653x205/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/b/0/b0f5751758522614f842b2c02610f703.jpg

Diesel McBadass
12-12-2012, 09:00
ive handled a dd railed upper and loved it, with a vfg under the fsp it made it read easy to use the x300 on it. And it looked badass. With a mid length, 9 inches is enough. Just felt a little short with the carbine. And having all that exposed barrel looks stupid.

mjkeat
12-12-2012, 18:30
Get a midlength w/ FSP and rail that stops at the FSP. Then add one of those Impact Weapon Components light mounts that attaches to the FSP.

bullittmcqueen
12-13-2012, 10:45
You are going to have to make some concessions because a rail that accomodates all of your wants, to my knowledge, is not possible.

First, scrap the whole bayonet idea. It's ridiculous and not practical.

Second, mounting a light at 12:00 on a mid-length gas system is going to be pretty limited if you are talking about rails that retain the standard FSP. All of the quad rails that are produced (Daniel Defense and Centurion just two name a couple) do not have rail in front of the sight post. There is a light mount that will allow you to do this, I believe it is the IWC model mentioned right above me.

The only two rails that allow you to have a mid-length cutout with 360 degree rail/tube in front of the FSP are the JP and a Samson evolution with the addon extensions in front of the front sight.

In my opinion, I would decide if I wanted a quad-style rail, or a tube style modular rail, and go with a mid-length version with the cutout for the FSP, and then mount my light at 10:00 just forward of the front sight.

I hope this helps. I've got a video on that Samson Evolution rail at the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmzxq67GPoI

Diesel McBadass
12-13-2012, 11:06
i was saying the carbine with a extended rail is nice because you can run a light at 12, not a necessity though, and bayonets might not do much good but they look cool and piss off liberals :)

GLJones
12-15-2012, 01:11
...and bayonets might not do much good but they look cool and piss off liberals :)

That is reason enough for me. :)

Spiffums
12-15-2012, 06:33
The mid length is a tad smoother. My fav right now is an A1 upper,
light weight barrel, with carbine gas system. Super light, super quick.

I got an old bushmaster off a guy at work and its SUPER light.

Diesel McBadass
12-15-2012, 09:15
That is reason enough for me. :)

anything that gives the brady buch a heart attack, slapping in a 33 rounder at the range later :)

Dsully
12-15-2012, 09:21
I like my middy the best(2nd from top). I got a little hobby of building these things. The 3rd from the top is a carbine length that I liked so much that I built a duplicate with the mid length. Thing shoots like a dream
http://walkingheavy.com/arbuild/4builds.jpg

A little practice
Range Practice - YouTube