Court strikes down Illinois' Conceal Carry Ban [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Court strikes down Illinois' Conceal Carry Ban

jbp84
12-11-2012, 15:57
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#story/chi-us-appeals-court-strikes-down-states-concealedcarry-ban-20121211

Could it be? For real? It's almost too good to be true.

JohnnyE
12-11-2012, 18:15
Hold on tight, it's gonna be a wild ride. Barring an appeal, if Illinois passes concealed carry, will they go with "shall issue" or will they follow in New Jersey and Maryland's footsteps and pass a "may-issue" law? I wonder. And if/when it goes "may-issue" then keep an eye on the US 4th Circuit Court of Appeals decision in the Woollard v. Sheridan case, where Woollard is challenging Maryland's "may-issue" statute. Woollard already won at the district court level. The appellate court is expected to announce its opinion this spring.

Since Maryland is in the 4th circuit, and Illinois is in the 7th circuit, the 7th circuit's holding in the Woollard case would not be binding on Illinois. Here come the appeals to the US Supreme Court.

This could take a while.

jbp84
12-11-2012, 18:36
I agree that the fight is far from over, but this is an enormous precedent. The NRA is going to use this as a precedent in it's other legal battles (including the 4th circuit).

"The Constitutional right of armed self-defense is broader than the right to have a gun in one's home."

as400guy1
12-24-2012, 16:38
I'm not too optimistic. I live in Chicago and Mayors here have a habit of whining and thumbing their noses at the federal government when they don't get their way.