JP, Timney or Geissele? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : JP, Timney or Geissele?

WarEagle32
12-11-2012, 21:38
I have veered of my original thread so I started this one. I am almost done with my Remington VTR 15 setup. I have over 1250 in this Coyote setup AR already with glass, so I will be damned if I don't have a real good trigger in it. I only like single stages. My gunsmith told me about a JP I could buy for around 120 then him install it for 40 bucks and it would be a 3 lb trigger. I don't know which model JP he was talking about and he must be sick because I cannot get in touch with him to discuss this. My other options are a drop in Timney which I may get, but if I do being it will be a predator AR setup should I go 3 or 4lbs on the pull? Also you guys have strongly endorsed Geissele. I want to spend as little as possible. Preferably 200 or less. Which Geissele model should I get(remember single stage only) if I go that route. And overall no matter which brand I go with would you go with a 3 or 4lb pull being its a Coyote rifle. Thanks a ton guys!!

Cole125
12-11-2012, 21:42
If you prefer nice light single stage triggers, Timney is the way to go. You can install it yourself very easy too.

Like I said in your other thread I have two Timney trigger units and love them.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2012, 22:07
Timney three pound, skeleton trigger is my favorite, hands down.

MarkCO
12-11-2012, 22:43
There are a total of two places I would have install a JP...Jim @ Firebird and JP themselves. I am not sure JP is even selling the GS install trigger anymore. That said, the JPs are very good, but do not plan on a service life of more than 10K without a re-tune.

Never been a fan of the Geissele feel. Timney's are okay, but I would not put them at the top and the durability is average. If you really want to go with 3 or 4 pounds, you would be fine with a CMC. I prefer the Jards, and they have one of the widest selections of triggers of anyone so you can get one like you want. Say order the 3 pounds and it is a cheap spring swap to go up or down in 1/2 pound increments.

Trigger feel is a personal thing and you shoud really make an effort to try them before you plunk down the cash.

WarEagle32
12-11-2012, 22:50
There are a total of two places I would have install a JP...Jim @ Firebird and JP themselves. I am not sure JP is even selling the GS install trigger anymore. That said, the JPs are very god, but do not plan on a service life of more than 10K without a re-tune.

Never been a fan of the Geissele feel. Timney's are okay, but I would not put them at the top and the durability is average. If you really want to go with 3 or 4 pounds, you would be fine with a CMC. I prefer the Jards, and they have one of the widest selections of triggers of anyone so you can get one like you want. Say order the 3 pounds and it is a cheap spring swap to go up or down in 1/2 pound increments.

Trigger feel is a personal thing and you shoud really make an effort to try them before you plunk down the cash.

I have had a JP on an AR10 before that I really really liked. I now live in rural AL, and am even new to the area and don't have any way of trying out the others in the time frame that this needs to be done. So I will have to study and listen to opinions and take the plunge on one of them. All opinions needed and are greatly appreciated guys! Thanks a ton!

MrMurphy
12-12-2012, 06:38
I've tried a JP, on JP's personal rifle actually. :)

For a competition/hunting gun they're solid.

For a hard-use gun, i'd use a Geissele SSA. Considering your stated purpose, either will work.

Travclem
12-12-2012, 06:59
I use the Geissele SSA and SSA-E in my hunting rifles and their SD3G (think super smooth, super fast 1911 trigger) in my HD SBR.

$40 sounds a little high for an install, do the JP triggers require fitting?

MarkCO
12-12-2012, 08:41
The JP triggers are probably one of the more difficult to install. $40 is cheap. JP does have a "Send in your lower" service. You can send them a complete lower, or a stripped lower and they will build it for you, or install a trigger and send it back to you directly, no FFL transfer needed.

MarkCO
12-12-2012, 09:02
Went back and read your other posts on your build.

I'm going to make one more pitch for you to consider the Jard: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/580476/jard-adjustable-trigger-module-ar-15-small-pin-154-2-1-2-lb-blue?cm_vc=wishList

I've bought a total of 2 triggers in the last 4 years, the most recent of which is the Jard above. I have JPs, RR NMs, POF, CMC and Jard in current rifles. I've sold Geissele, Timney and AR-Golds. Most of my triggers I pick up off of prize tables, and I still have three sitting in my parts bin to get rid of. I do shoot 3G, do some LE and civilian training and hunt with my ARs and run about 20K a year through the various configurations. I am completely sold on the Jard. The feel is excellent and the durability is excellent. When I have a free Geissele and Timney sitting on the bench and buy a Jard to run in my personal match rifle, that should tell you a lot. If someone from Geissele or Timney read this, I may lose them as sponsors of the major matches I run, but oh well.

PVolk
12-12-2012, 09:34
Timney three pound, skeleton trigger is my favorite, hands down.
Is there any benefit of the skeletonized VS. the non-skeletonized other than the neat look?

WarEagle32
12-12-2012, 17:15
Is there any benefit of the skeletonized VS. the non-skeletonized other than the neat look?

From all I have seen its just the neat look. JMO.

Travclem
12-12-2012, 17:30
The JP triggers are probably one of the more difficult to install. $40 is cheap. JP does have a "Send in your lower" service. You can send them a complete lower, or a stripped lower and they will build it for you, or install a trigger and send it back to you directly, no FFL transfer needed.
What's different about them?

MarkCO
12-12-2012, 17:45
What's different about them?

Just making all the adjustments work for the best tirgger feel. Timing the disconnector gives some people fits.

I've shot JP installs and Firebird installs and they feel the same. I've shot installs from "local" smiths, even some "famous" smiths and they just don't compare to the JP and Firebird installs.

WarEagle32
12-12-2012, 19:22
I just talked to my local gunsmith and I think I am going to go with a JP adjustable trigger system. It's what he recommends and has personally done several hundred with excellent results. I just need to know what size to order. My gun is a Remington VTR-15. Do I need to order the .154? I think that is the size that fits my VTR-15, any of you guys out there that know for sure please let me know ASAP because I am ready to order my trigger right now if I just knew what size to order. Thanks!!

Cole125
12-12-2012, 20:17
Timney's are okay, but I would not put them at the top and the durability is average.

Any real sources to Timney triggers not being durable? I've never heard of any such problems.

Cole125
12-12-2012, 20:18
I just talked to my local gunsmith and I think I am going to go with a JP adjustable trigger system. It's what he recommends and has personally done several hundred with excellent results. I just need to know what size to order. My gun is a Remington VTR-15. Do I need to order the .154? I think that is the size that fits my VTR-15, any of you guys out there that know for sure please let me know ASAP because I am ready to order my trigger right now if I just knew what size to order. Thanks!!

Yes it will use the same size pins, only some older Colts use the bigger size.

MarkCO
12-12-2012, 20:27
Any real sources to Timney triggers not being durable? I've never heard of any such problems.

Mine broke the hammer at the notch at about 5K. Fatigue failure.

Cole125
12-12-2012, 20:30

That can happen to any hammer. I don't think there is magical metal in a Geissele that makes their hammer immune to breaking, either.

bullittmcqueen
12-13-2012, 10:31
Of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the Geissele. But if you want an affordable single stage trigger that you can install yourself in about 1-2 minutes, the CMC cannot be beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Ktx8PkH1w

mixflip
12-13-2012, 10:59
(for fighting gun?) A while back SURF said he uses a Geissele alot. When a guy like SURF endorses something I listen. I know a few other high speed low drag contractor types who use Geissele. They are built to be combat rugged yet close to match grade but in the end it really boils down to what you intend to do with your gun.

I just picked up a stripped lower and I am shopping around for a trigger. I think Im going to try Geissele's new ACT trigger which is an 80% finished Colt factory trigger that is 100% finished by Geissele with nickel boron and teflon. Its technically still a factory trigger so it can be dropped into most dept guns so they say. Im intrigued.

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 14:00

Crap,......mid is just over 5600 rounds fired. :faint:

(for fighting gun?) A while back SURF said he uses a Geissele alot. When a guy like SURF endorses something I listen..........

Hmmmm, you picked up on that as well? Surf is my version of
EF Hutton. :supergrin:
Did I just date myself...........?

pag23
12-13-2012, 18:44
Hmmmm, you picked up on that as well? Surf is my version of
EF Hutton. :supergrin:
Did I just date myself...........?[/QUOTE]

At least you didn't quote a Prell commercial. Lol

I agree with you. Surf is pretty knowledgable guy and so are his videos and posts. I might go with a Geissele as I can drive down there and probably get it installed if I ask them

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 18:50
Prell,........do they still make that?
Love the smell of it. :rofl:

pag23
12-13-2012, 19:04
Not sure but loved the model in the commercials. Almost as good as the girl sipping the Pepsi from the straw. I think it was Pepsi

Back to topic. I personally would go with Geissele for durability.