American Community Survey [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : American Community Survey

jeanderson
12-12-2012, 12:16
Anyone else here receive the American Community Survey from the census bureau?

I didn't even know what the ACS was until mailed to me 2 months ago. It's a 28-page detailed survey with questions like how much you make, how big is your house, how many toilets do you have, how much electricity and gas you use, etc. A lot of information the government has no f**'n business knowing. So I said, "screw 'em", I ain't telling them anything.

I got a second survey sent to me last month. Again, I did nothing. Yesterday, I got a postcard that said I needed to send in the survey and was compelled by law to do so, with the warning in bold and a reference to the applicable law. So I looked it up (Section 221, Title 13 Chapter 7 USC):
(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.
Nice huh? You've got to tell them everything they want to know and you can't lie about it either.

What the hell is happening to this country??? I'm still not going to answer the damn thing. Let 'em come to my door and try and pry the answers out of me. Screw 'em. :steamed:

Atlas
12-12-2012, 12:18
Been discussed here many times.

PrecisionRifleman
12-12-2012, 12:20
Anyone else here receive the American Community Survey from the census bureau?

I didn't even know what the ACS was until mailed to me 2 months ago. It's a 28-page detailed survey with questions like how much you make, how big is your house, how many toilets do you have, how much electricity and gas you use, etc. A lot of information the government has no f**'n business knowing. So I said, "screw 'em", I ain't telling them anything.

I got a second survey sent to me last month. Again, I did nothing. Yesterday, I got a postcard that said I needed to send in the survey and was compelled by law to do so, with the warning in bold and a reference to the applicable law. So I looked it up (Section 221, Title 13 Chapter 7 USC):

Nice huh? You've got to tell them everything they want to know and you can't lie about it either.

What the hell is happening to this country??? I'm still not going to answer the damn thing. Let 'em come to my door and try and pry the answers out of me. Screw 'em. :steamed:

Believe it or not they will actually show up. Atleast they did at my house a few years ago when I got the same survey...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jeanderson
12-12-2012, 12:36
Believe it or not they will actually show up. Atleast they did at my house a few years ago when I got the same survey...
Did they "serve you" with another survey, or just stand there and ask you all the questions?

Either way, I say fine. Let 'em come to my door. I'll make this as much trouble for them that I can.

PrecisionRifleman
12-12-2012, 12:58
Did they "serve you" with another survey, or just stand there and ask you all the questions?

Either way, I say fine. Let 'em come to my door. I'll make this as much trouble for them that I can.

they sent a few surveys, and then a while later some kid shows up and asked us to complete the survey while hand delivering it. Probably to confirm that we got it. I then filled it out and gave it back to him. I'm not sure how accurate I filled it out though....lol

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

blkpag1
12-12-2012, 14:46
I received one about 2 years ago and then got the reminder postcard with a contact number. So, I called and told them I would not send it back. they said that I could be fined and I said to fine me. Never heard from them again. I checked into it and could not find any instance that someone received a fine for not filling it out.